Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Shefter's Explanation Of Firings Seams Hoaky And Ill Informed

GoGoColts

Shefter basically is asserting that the Polians were fired so that Irsay could be the dominant personality of the organization. LOLhttp://espn.go.com/n...tunned-decision

I think that mainly Chris was fired for all of his bad draft decisions starting with Ugoh, and Bill was a packaged deal. However, Bill's recent public meltdowns and radio antics have not helped.

Finally, having the top pick in the draft and a roster not devoid of talent makes this a top job for an incoming GM. Indy is probably the most attractive job in the NFL right now.

Shefter basically is asserting that the Polians were fired so that Irsay could be the dominant personality of the organization. LOLhttp://espn.go.com/n...tunned-decision

I think that mainly Chris was fired for all of his bad draft decisions starting with Ugoh, and Bill was a packaged deal. However, Bill's recent public meltdowns and radio antics have not helped.

Finally, having the top pick in the draft and a roster not devoid of talent makes this a top job for an incoming GM. Indy is probably the most attractive job in the NFL right now.

Nah, Shaffer must have been talking about Jerry Jones when he said that Irsay wanted total control and so on and be a dominant personality . But sorry to break it to Shaffer the last time I checked this was Jim Irsay team, and he is the owner. Not the other way around in the Polians.

Nah, Shaffer must have been talking about Jerry Jones when he said that Irsay wanted total control and so on and be a dominant personality . But sorry to break it to Shaffer the last time I checked this was Jim Irsay team, and he is the owner. Not the other way around in the Polians.

And has never wanted attention, and has paid big bucks and stayed out of the way, not fair by Adam S.

I agree, and you don't have to prove it to me..

Well said and agree.

Schefter is a master of saying nothing, or repeating what has already been said, but with emphasis on his words. He had no inside knowledge here, but apparently his opinion is valued by ESPN. I don't think he was even mention in the article that was under the video.

I didn't see anything about wanting to be dominant in that article. Did I miss it somehow?

I don't think it is hoaky that people who have achieved so much together and worked together so many years would find this difficult

That is human

Bottom line, J. Irsay has made some great decisions for this franchise since he has been the owner. I trust what he thinks and I do think he will make the right call for what is good for the Colts. We have a great owner that most cities would love to have. He is a great citizen and he has always done everything he can do to put together a winning team. We are lucky to have Irsay and the Simons in Indy!

I think the idea was to point to the video that was embedded in this article several hours ago. I think Schefter's comments were applicable. Maybe not informed or accurate, but he made a good point.

He compared this situation with Pat Bowlen getting rid of Dan Reeves back in 1992, and how Bowlen basically said "I wanted my team back." Not that Reeves had done anything wrong, but having been there for so long and being such a dominant personality, it was his voice more than anyone else's that was synonymous with the team and it's direction. And Bowlen felt that should change. He wanted his team back.

With Irsay and Polian, Irsay has become more vocal and public here in the last few years, from dealings with Manning's contract to his Twitter postings. I don't think Irsay necessarily resented Polian's influence, but the idea that Polian's voice had become so loud over the years might have been a problem. I don't know that there's any truth to the rumors of strife in the front office, but the firing makes it pretty obvious that Irsay had a problem with something. I can buy the idea that he wanted his team back.

All this is over with, though. I hope people get past the Polian issue, because I think what happens next will be much more interesting and impactful to the future of the franchise.

I think the idea was to point to the video that was embedded in this article several hours ago. I think Schefter's comments were applicable. Maybe not informed or accurate, but he made a good point.

He compared this situation with Pat Bowlen getting rid of Dan Reeves back in 1992, and how Bowlen basically said "I wanted my team back." Not that Reeves had done anything wrong, but having been there for so long and being such a dominant personality, it was his voice more than anyone else's that was synonymous with the team and it's direction. And Bowlen felt that should change. He wanted his team back.

With Irsay and Polian, Irsay has become more vocal and public here in the last few years, from dealings with Manning's contract to his Twitter postings. I don't think Irsay necessarily resented Polian's influence, but the idea that Polian's voice had become so loud over the years might have been a problem. I don't know that there's any truth to the rumors of strife in the front office, but the firing makes it pretty obvious that Irsay had a problem with something. I can buy the idea that he wanted his team back.

All this is over with, though. I hope people get past the Polian issue, because I think what happens next will be much more interesting and impactful to the future of the franchise.

That is completely inaccurate. This is a performance issue.

I didn't see anything about wanting to be dominant in that article. Did I miss it somehow?

I don't think it is hoaky that people who have achieved so much together and worked together so many years would find this difficult

That is human

Shefter said that he thought that it was about, "Wanting my franchise back." It's an issue of control, dominance, or pominance. I was paraphrazing.

Calling a good deal of the fanbase sewer rats did not do Polian any favors on top of his typical boorish personality.

Polian has antagonized every level of the Colts..players, fans, personell...

..but as long as we were 10-6, 12-45...Irsay gave him free reign...

as soon as we started losing...he brought the 'long overdue' smack down./..

Shefter said that he thought that it was about, "Wanting my franchise back." It's an issue of control, dominance, or pominance. I was paraphrazing.

Oh........his opinion, ok, got it

I think it came down to exactly what Irsay said in the press conference yesterday. He pays people for their counsel..........and he expects to let them lead and he is fully aware as to why they choose to do what they choose to do. He gives them latitude to do what they think is best.

Bottom line though if there comes a point, and apparently there did..........where the counsel he is getting is not something he agrees with or can be convinced of

He will act. And he did

It's always been his franchise, he didn't need to take it back from anyone

That's just how he runs the franchise and he indicated yesterday that's how he plans to continue.

I think people are reading in a whole lot of dramatic scenarios..........when the reality is dramatic enough

The buck stops with Irsay and he felt it necessary to make the changes he did

I think he fully expects to invest as much trust in his new GM as he had in Polian.

We can speculate all we want about all kinds of reasons.........but all we know is what he's said.

That worked out pretty well for broncos,didn't it?

That is completely inaccurate. This is a performance issue.

Can't possibly be a little of both, huh? I wish I lived in a world where everything was black and white, and decisions were so easy.

Polian has a lot in the bank in terms of performance. One could defend him if that was the objective. It's not. That's in the past. Performance has dropped off, culminating in a 2-14 season (for various reasons, but roster deficiencies are not the least among them), so sure performance is part of the issue. But I don't believe that's the entire issue.

It sure did.

We just need to find our terrell davis~.And i predict that we will lean towards a running attack more and more.If we draft kalil or deCatro,i wouldn't be surprised at all.The time has come to take some of that burden off of manning's shoulders.But if his stats decrease,then many will see it as proof that he's not the same...regardless if we're winning or not.

We just need to find our terrell davis~.And i predict that we will lean towards a running attack more and more.If we draft kalil or deCatro,i wouldn't be surprised at all.The time has come to take some of that burden off of manning's shoulders.But if his stats decrease,then many will see it as proof that he's not the same...regardless if we're winning or not.

The NFL is a lot different now than it was in the late '90s. I don't think the Terrell Davis feature back will continue to exist. We can have a really good run game with a committee. I'm much more interested in improving the offensive line and the run blocking than I am in who the backs are.

The NFL is a lot different now than it was in the late '90s. I don't think the Terrell Davis feature back will continue to exist. We can have a really good run game with a committee. I'm much more interested in improving the offensive line and the run blocking than I am in who the backs are.

Even if we run the ball more,i don't believe that manning's stats would drop much.I still think he'll put up 3,500-4,000 yards,65%,25-30 td's and a rating of 95-100.But i believe his INT'S would drastically decrease(5 or less per season).And he could still get into a shootout game,if need be.I think we go on to win 2 or 3 more superbowl's,just because of this draft trade scenario.

I would love to have DeCastro, but considering he will go top 20 more than likely, we wont be in position to take him...especially considering we will take Luck at #1 and not trade the pick. While i was all for trading the pick, for a long time now...after watching several of Luck's games, i can honestly say that he is the best and most mature college QB i have seen in as long as i can remember. I does so many things that pro's struggle with, even...he looks off coverage, sells the play action, has good pump fakes and can roll out to either direction equally as effective.

Can't possibly be a little of both, huh? I wish I lived in a world where everything was black and white, and decisions were so easy.

Polian has a lot in the bank in terms of performance. One could defend him if that was the objective. It's not. That's in the past. Performance has dropped off, culminating in a 2-14 season (for various reasons, but roster deficiencies are not the least among them), so sure performance is part of the issue. But I don't believe that's the entire issue.

Jim Irsay doesn't have an ego like Jerry Jones and owners of that ilk. He is content to twitter, have givaways, and enjoy life. He has no need to micro-manage or assert control or dominance for it's own sake in my opinion.

Jim Irsay doesn't have an ego like Jerry Jones and owners of that ilk. He is content to twitter, have givaways, and enjoy life. He has no need to micro-manage or assert control or dominance for it's own sake in my opinion.

He's the owner. He's an astute businessman. People have a certain idea of Jim Irsay like he's an absent-minded billionaire who does nothing but float in the wind, and I think that's kind of off base. He's a smart guy and a really good owner. A little eccentric, likes to enjoy life, all that's true, but his owning the Colts isn't just a diversion.

That said, I don't think he's interested in asserting control or dominance just because. But I do think he may have felt his control over his team slowly eroding, year after year. The Decision in 2009 might have been a part of that. And it's not that Polian had wrestled away control, just that his voice is so big that it can drown everyone out. He's become the figurehead of the team over the last decade plus.

He's the owner. He's an astute businessman. People have a certain idea of Jim Irsay like he's an absent-minded billionaire who does nothing but float in the wind, and I think that's kind of off base. He's a smart guy and a really good owner. A little eccentric, likes to enjoy life, all that's true, but his owning the Colts isn't just a diversion.

That said, I don't think he's interested in asserting control or dominance just because. But I do think he may have felt his control over his team slowly eroding, year after year. The Decision in 2009 might have been a part of that. And it's not that Polian had wrestled away control, just that his voice is so big that it can drown everyone out. He's become the figurehead of the team over the last decade plus.

Again, I think that assertion is patently false. Irsay took control of the situation because there where problems in the organization, that only he could handle, namely the Polians. Once things get back under control, he will return to being hands off.

Again, I think that assertion is patently false. Irsay took control of the situation because there where problems in the organization, that only he could handle, namely the Polians. Once things get back under control, he will return to being hands off.

No one said Irsay wants to be the GM and be more hands-on. That's not what Pat Bowlen did after he got rid of Dan Reeves. He eventually put a guy in place who wound up having the same kind of control that Reeves once had. Bowlen is extremely hands-off, and always has been. The point Schefter was making, in my mind, was that Reeves had become such a big influence, even the face of the franchise, to the point that he was steering the franchise.

It was similar with Polian. It had become his team, not Irsay's. I'm not saying there was a power struggle. I'm not saying he wants to be hands-on. I don't think that's what Schefter was saying either. And I'm certainly not saying this is the only reason Irsay got rid of Polian. Just saying that after 14 years, Irsay wanted to redirect the course of his franchise, and that wasn't doable with Polian running things.

He'll hire a good GM and a good coach, and then he'll go back to where he's been the past 14 years.