Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Qb Peyton Manning 'surprised And Shocked' At Bill Polian Being Fired

bap1331

So to all the people who stated that Manning and Polian don't get along need to go eat some crow! His comments have me wondering if he'll stay in Indy next season. Hopefully Irsay didn't pee in Peytons bowl of wheaties today.

What was he gonna say, good. Those comments don't mean there may not have been problems, who knows.

http://www.indystar....7Ctext%7CSPORTS

Peyton said, "I’ll be forever indebted for what he did for me and my career.’’

A true statement. And it doesn't mean he wouldn't want to remain a Colt and a hard working professional. Jim Irsay writes the checks. Irsay gambled/banked on him and paid 26M to ride the bench. They're good to go. I've heard Irsay say "look.....we love the guy." - this during the lockout and with no contract.

So to all the people who stated that Manning and Polian don't get along need to go eat some crow! His comments have me wondering if he'll stay in Indy next season. Hopefully Irsay didn't pee in Peytons bowl of wheaties today.

Manning being politically correct and classy. This proves nothing, it just cleans his hands of having any input at all in this

Which is exactly why him saying that he can co-exist with Andrew Luck is the right thing to say but not necessarily how he's really feeling.

I believe he means exactly what he said - he can co-exist with him or any player. He never said he'd tutor him. And we all know he likes to take virtually every snap in practice. But he said in previous interviews that they talked about his eventual replacement, so it's no shock if we draft Luck.

Bottom line - I think Peyton is extremely classy, never a diva or a Favre. And he'll continue to be that way.

I believe he means exactly what he said - he can co-exist with him or any player. He never said he'd tutor him. And we all know he likes to take virtually every snap in practice. But he said in previous interviews that they talked about his eventual replacement, so it's no shock if we draft Luck.

Bottom line - I think Peyton is extremely classy, never a diva or a Favre. And he'll continue to be that way.

Agree. And in the end I'd bet he's going to leave the organization in good shape. He knows he won't play forever and even if he did finish his last year or two elsewhere he's a Colt for life.

It sounds like Peyton didn't know it was coming. He was meeting with Polian when he was called away to meet with Irsay.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7414912/indianapolis-colts-fire-bill-polian-chris-polian-peyton-manning-stunned-decision

We will never know. It is quite possible that Bill and Peyton were discussing that possibility when Bill was called away.

A lot of Colts fans are shocked also. Most of us did not believe Mr. Irsay would pull the plug on Bill Polian. Reading Jim on his twitter account, he gives the impression he is a brick or two short of a load. But this was a necessary decision he was able to make, even though it was very painful for him. When Polian came here, Indy was a basketball town and the franchise was in shambles. Jim Irsay made the decision to fire Tobin and hire Polian. That was a very fine executive decision. IMO, today was another very fine executive decision.

A lot of Colts fans are shocked also. Most of us did not believe Mr. Irsay would pull the plug on Bill Polian. Reading Jim on his twitter account, he gives the impression he is a brick or two short of a load. But this was a necessary decision he was able to make, even though it was very painful for him. When Polian came here, Indy was a basketball town and the franchise was in shambles. Jim Irsay made the decision to fire Tobin and hire Polian. That was a very fine executive decision. IMO, today was another very fine executive decision.

You don't know if it's a fine decision... Only time will tell.

I am loving the changes that are going on right now, least now fans cant blame polian for the team being how they are... and since the colts are in a "reubilding" phase i wonder if the new GM is gonna pick a 3-4 defensive minded coach or just keep Caldwell... by how nice ppl say Caldwell is i think he's gonna stay. So far so good this offseason in my book.

This will just make it that much easier to move Manning in the offseason. Let's face it folks. The Colts are in rebuilding mode.. this is not a Superbowl contender even with Manning and all of the aging veterans on the roster. Most people never like hearing me say this for many months now, but its the hard pill to swallow.

i agree, this was the last thing on any Colts fans mind that was going to happen....

Everyone immediately thought it was the coach. But they made a good point on NFL Network saying that the team needs to build way more than the QB and the Polians were responsible for that.

A missing piece in this discussion is, "What did Manning think of Chris Polian?" I totally believe that Bill was so committed to his son, that he was blind to his failings. I also believe that Chris is the reason we have had mediocre drafts lately. I also believe that Irsay knew the real problem and may even have asked Bill if he was willing to fire Chris and Bill said no.

Manning said what he should say...and I;m sure he IS grateful to Polian..

But Polian was a hard guy to like and I'm also sure Manning had his problems with Dollar Bill

A missing piece in this discussion is, "What did Manning think of Chris Polian?" I totally believe that Bill was so committed to his son, that he was blind to his failings. I also believe that Chris is the reason we have had mediocre drafts lately. I also believe that Irsay knew the real problem and may even have asked Bill if he was willing to fire Chris and Bill said no.

True Manning didnt say he was indebted to CHRIS Polian...

It was time for Bill to go...