Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Silver Lining On This Season/can't Wait For 2012

unitaswestand

This season really sucked. If there is any silver lining, how many teams get to go from one franchise QB to another one? My friend who is a Cardinal fan told me how amazing it is that the Cards are always looking for a QB, and here is the Colts with Peyton Manning, and the one year they are horrible, they are going to add Andrew Luck.

I think five years from now, we will look back at this season as an unfortunate season by one that helped us long term. It will get us Luck, hopefully get rid of Caldwell, and bring to light the problems will building a team like we did. Hopefully, Manning goes out winning back to back Super Bowls and then Andrew Luck becomes the next great Colt QB.

And I am one of the people who does believe this team is competing for a SB next year. Yeah, there are weaknesses. But you can see in game after game, if we had a good QB playing, the outcome would be much different. The defense is getting better, the running attack is better.

I think we have a lot to look forward to!! I cannot wait for the draft and the 2012 Colts and continued success for the next 15 years!!

Yeah I mean all we can do is stay optimistic. This is gonna be a fun ride during the offseason IMO. It's just gonna be interesting what the front office does, and the draft is gonna be intense.

But do we trust Polian to not mess it up? I don't think he will mess up the first pick. He drafted Manning and it made him look like a genius so he will not pass on Luck and the chance to look like a genius again considering his recent draft record.

Yeah I mean all we can do is stay optimistic. This is gonna be a fun ride during the offseason IMO. It's just gonna be interesting what the front office does, and the draft is gonna be intense.

No matter what happens, there will be a large group of people who will be upset and say we did the wrong thing. Brace yourself.

This season really sucked. If there is any silver lining, how many teams get to go from one franchise QB to another one? My friend who is a Cardinal fan told me how amazing it is that the Cards are always looking for a QB, and here is the Colts with Peyton Manning, and the one year they are horrible, they are going to add Andrew Luck.

I think five years from now, we will look back at this season as an unfortunate season by one that helped us long term. It will get us Luck, hopefully get rid of Caldwell, and bring to light the problems will building a team like we did. Hopefully, Manning goes out winning back to back Super Bowls and then Andrew Luck becomes the next great Colt QB.

And I am one of the people who does believe this team is competing for a SB next year. Yeah, there are weaknesses. But you can see in game after game, if we had a good QB playing, the outcome would be much different. The defense is getting better, the running attack is better.

I think we have a lot to look forward to!! I cannot wait for the draft and the 2012 Colts and continued success for the next 15 years!!

if the colts keep luck you can forget about manning winning another sb with the colts....

if the colts keep luck you can forget about manning winning another sb with the colts....

Bingo! If they use the pick on a backup quarterback then this will be the least productive draft of the Manning era in preparing for a championship in the short term. They will basically have the 33rd pick of the first 6 rounds looking for players to put on the field this year.

Bingo! If they use the pick on a backup quarterback then this will be the least productive draft of the Manning era in preparing for a championship in the short term. They will basically have the 33rd pick of the first 6 rounds looking for players to put on the field this year.

Lol this is completely wrong. Yes our first pick after Luck will be #33 but that also means you have FIRST choice in taking all of the 2nd round talent as well as the 3rd and 4th and so forth. Why do people get it so confused?

Let's face it we need a QB as Manning is nearing the end of his career and then he might be done already if his neck doesn't heal right. I would rather see Manning retire than have him injured severely trying to come back and play. I hope he can play though as i see Luck benefiting from sitting at least a year. If Luck has to start and he performs badly we can't call him a bust as most 1 yr QB's struggle Manning did it Elway did it and most others did also. thir second year got better. with the rest of our picks we need to pick smart to fill the needs of the team but a QB is a must as we have seen this seasonwithout one we stink

Dead on... I'm just praying to the football Gods that Luck isn't a bust cause if so not only did we give up on Manning, we also are going to be just like the Cardinals looking for a QB again. When things are as hyped as Luck is... Just spells disaster.

Dead on... I'm just praying to the football Gods that Luck isn't a bust cause if so not only did we give up on Manning, we also are going to be just like the Cardinals looking for a QB again. When things are as hyped as Luck is... Just spells disaster.

i posted it in another thread but out of 18 overall QBs taken #1 in the SB Era only 3 became busts. Alex Smith and Sam Bradford are still a work in progress. So I like our chances.

i posted it in another thread but out of 18 overall QBs taken #1 in the SB Era only 3 became busts. Alex Smith and Sam Bradford are still a work in progress. So I like our chances.

Since Superbowl Era how many of those 18 have won a Super Bowl? I know in last 10 years only 2 first round picks in last 15 years that was QB have won, and that was Manning brothers

Since Superbowl Era how many of those 18 have won a Super Bowl? I know in last 10 years only 2 first round picks in last 15 years that was QB have won, and that was Manning brothers

Terry Bradshaw - 4

Jim Plunkett - 2

Troy Aikman - 3,

John Elway - 2

Peyton/Eli - 1 each

Drew Bledsoe - won the Afc championship game but Brady won the SB

Other #1's: Good - Vick, Bartkowski (unfortunately had to play for the Falcons), Testaverde

average - Palmer, George, Smith

busts - Couch, Carr, Russell

Too soon - Bradford, Stafford (although he's playing out of his mind right now still needs more years)

Isnt the assumption that QBs win Super Bowls...a little flawed

I dont think Terry Bradshaw WON 4 super Bowls...He was on the team but no one alive at the time would tell you that offense was the major force..

they had one of the 45 greatest defense of the 20th century

Why do we say the QB won the Super Bowl....

Even if he didnt win a SB..Luck could be Dan Marino (a No. 1) right? We dont know/

You describe the best case scenario... :number1:

Dan Marino was the 27th pick and last of the 6 Qb's taken in the first round. What if we hadn't wasted a pick on Elway that year and drafted Jim Kelley or Marino instead?

Sorry.......you are referring to No.1s overall, right?

....Still.....I dont think greatness can be defined by reaching/ winning the Super Bowl...

Greatest of all time ..yes.......mere greatness...no...

Okay well I have to admit this is some what a decent arguement for 1st draft pick QB... Just hope Luck lives up to his name, since we are going to do the whole avoid other spots on the team, and pick a person to sit for 2 to 4 years. Maybe he'll be our little LUCKy stick for next few years everyone can touch his jersey, and it will bring us good LUCK... At least that will give a good purpose for our bench warmer for next few years YAY!!!!

Unfortunately the defense is NOT getting better. It's getting worse every year and now is absolutely terrible.

Colts scoring defensive trend:

year Pts/game 2011 26.9 2010 24.3 2009 19.2 2008 18.6 2007

Now throw in the special teams which is actually as bad (if not worse) than our defense. It's going to be nearly impossible to make a SB run without a total overhaul - and even that will take years. Manning would unlikely still be here for that.

You do realize this probably means peyton either retires or is traded. There isnt going to be a magic bullet when you clean house like this. Its going to be a process and could take a few years. Plus all the defensive players we draft have develop.

I expect Manning won't be playing here next year. If he can play I'm all for him going to a good team. If he retires then he certainly belongs with the Colts. Teams have to continue to move forward.

Do consider that even if we didn't pick Luck, we HAVE to bring in a quality backup. I think Peyton's neck will be fine, but what if in game 2 his knee gets taken out? We are right back to what we are this year. So if we have to have two QBs, why not make that other QB Andrew Luck??

I used to be against picking Luck because I feel Manning will be playing at least 4 more years, and no way Luck sits that long. But we have to get somebody to back him up for that long. Now, maybe we trade the pick and pick up another QB in two years. I don't know. But I would pick Luck just to make sure.

Lol this is completely wrong. Yes our first pick after Luck will be #33 but that also means you have FIRST choice in taking all of the 2nd round talent as well as the 3rd and 4th and so forth. Why do people get it so confused?

What is so hard to figure out? I clearly stated that if Manning is healthy then you are doing nothing to win in the short term by taking a backup quarterback with the first pick. This basically is the same as taking the last pick in the first 6 rounds in terms of players who can make an immediate impact and win a championship with Manning.

Why not get a quality free agent quarterback who has proven he can play NFL football and use the #1 pick of every round in reloading the roster starting with strengthening the lines? This is why I would take Kalil with the first pick and the best defensive tackle available with the 33rd.

Why not get a quality free agent quarterback who has proven he can play NFL football and use the #1 pick of every round in reloading the roster starting with strengthening the lines? This is why I would take Kalil with the first pick and the best defensive tackle available with the 33rd.

Not a bad idea, but can the Colts' limited cap space afford a quality free agent QB like Matt Flynn? He would cost far more than a rookie QB. If the Colts keep Peyton and pass on Luck by trading down, it may be more cap-friendly to draft a less-touted QB like Tannehill or Foles or Cousins in the later rounds.

As good as Kalil is, he is still not worth the 1st overall pick. Even if the Colts trade down, they won't get Kalil because the Rams are projected to grab him with their 2nd overall pick. It makes sense because the Rams' OL is in even worse shape than the Colts, and Rodger Saffold regressed in his 2nd season. Besides, Castonzo has played well at LT.

The silver lining is the way the players handled a 2-14 season. No finger pointing and no quit, unlike the Jets and Bucs who's seasons were not nearly as bad.

The Bucs, I 100% blame on youth/coaching.

The Jets. Always the best front runners in the world. Everyone knew they'd implode all over themselves. Front Runners generally do.

i wouldn't worry about luck being a bust. i worry about him being the caliber of matt ryan....

It's not confusing. If you trade the Luck pick, you still get the 33rd pick, plus an earlier pick from the first round and another pick in the second round and some early picks from next year. In a what if scenario, let's suppose the Colts get Cleveland's first pick for next year. Cleveland could very well finish last in 2012, giving the Colts the opportunity to draft Barkley. They would then have Barkley plus all the talent garnered from the picks acquired for Luck. There's obviously a lot of "what ifs, but I think there is more upside to trading the pick.