Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Varga

RockThatBlue

I would have liked to have seen Varga against some first team D's, but it at least seems like he's practice squad material at worst, maybe a good backup at best. 

You will never see him get a snap with our #1 O unless the whole depth chart at RB is wiped out. That would be risking proving too many people wrong .... including your self!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Edge was 6'0" 220 so not all that different. Is Varga fat or something? I've never seen him in regular clothes or wearing a g-string.

It's the second time I've seen him described that way...

When Edge Came into the league, he was 6'-1" 216 lbs, and had combine stats of a 4.3 40 no bench press 40 yard dash, 3.88 shuttle, 6.8 3-cone.  He was obviously very athletic.  

Varga had a bone spur at the combine, so I'll post his abreviated stats - 5'-11 222lbs.  4.64 40 yard dash 25 reps of 225, no other drills.  

Varga is muscular, with massive hands, and is built like a power back, or a fullback.  He does not have the breakaway "extra gear" James had on long runs.  Google a picture of each, and a video.....Varga is a Power Back.  James had some pop, but he was not built to run like a Dodge Ram, more like a Dodge Charger.... both can run you over, but the Charger is gonna do it faster....  

And NO, I don't care if the Ram, or the Charger is painted white OR black......but I do hate Red vehicles.

With everyone else hurt at least in the short term, perhaps Varga and Tipton BOTH make it at least until one of the other guys can play or they pick up a better option from another team.  I realize there's little room for it, but I hope we don't start the season with only Gore and 1 back up healthy. 

Part of it is, Edge went to Miami, Varga Yale...... No one expects a guy with a Yale degree to be athlete enough to play NFL football......or NBA basketball, or Baseball, or......you get the idea

Varga also didn't do many combine drills, another reason most are surprised by his ability, not many people got to see the Yale Bulldogs Pro Day.....what channel was it on?  vs. ESPN's combine coverage.....  

Contrary to what you keep bringing up, No one care that Varga is of any particular ethnicity.

With everyone else hurt at least in the short term, perhaps Varga and Tipton BOTH make it at least until one of the other guys can play or they pick up a better option from another team. I realize there's little room for it, but I hope we don't start the season with only Gore and 1 back up healthy.

Tipton & Ballard need to be out of the state of Indiana by tomorrow night

I'd be perfectly fine with Gore Robinson & Varga as our backfield week 1

When Edge Came into the league, he was 6'-1" 216 lbs, and had combine stats of a 4.3 40 no bench press 40 yard dash, 3.88 shuttle, 6.8 3-cone.  He was obviously very athletic.  

Varga had a bone spur at the combine, so I'll post his abreviated stats - 5'-11 222lbs.  4.64 40 yard dash 25 reps of 225, no other drills.  

Varga is muscular, with massive hands, and is built like a power back, or a fullback.  He does not have the breakaway "extra gear" James had on long runs.  Google a picture of each, and a video.....Varga is a Power Back.  James had some pop, but he was not built to run like a Dodge Ram, more like a Dodge Charger.... both can run you over, but the Charger is gonna do it faster....  

And NO, I don't care if the Ram, or the Charger is painted white OR black......but I do hate Red vehicles.

Where did this comparison come from .... Mars? .... we are talking current century here. Compare him to Boom, Robinson, Ballard or Tipton. Personally I don't like any of them but you keep what is "familiar".

I am on record stating that I believe Tyler Varga is the best overall #2 back that we have on this roster at this time. I base this not on his school, skin color, nationality or mother's maiden name. He is pound for pound the strongest guy on this team, big (and not fat big), athletic, agile, elusively fast (has the longest runs from scrimmage in his limited touches this pre season) , tough as nails, hardest worker and probably the smartest guy on this team. He can be affective running inside or outside and catches anything thrown near him (deflated or not) and does something after the catch, plays specials well, can return kicks and he is the best blocker in the backfield. From a physical and athletic perspective we just don't have another back like him at this time. Certainly a great deal for the money! The big thing Frank has on him is experience. That is why Frank is #1. Otherwise Frank does not have some of the tools that Varga has and he is obviously 10 years older. I have made a comparison chart of all the backs and I am sorry to tell you that, objectively, .... no cheerleading .... Varga has the best overall rating. 

Talk is cheap! That is all media posturing. If Ballard does something it would be easy to continue the story and say " Oh well Vick looks to be back so we don't need another back ... it was a hard decision but Varga we wish you luck". This may very well still be the case? I am telling you, I can feel the bad KARMA coming from the lies and deceit.

I think Jimmy, Grigs and Pags would all like Varga to at least be on the PS. I don't think Jimmy would risk building up a guy publically that he wouldn't want another team to nabb.

Trying to be purely logical here and not my usual cynical curmudgeonly self, I think his comments indicate that they have already decided that Varga has made the team.

Maybe so but you are very naive!

You're a crackpot.

To be clear, I have no issue that you think Varga is our 2nd best back, I definitely disagree, but that's your opinion and that's fine, I guess. My problem lies with you and your conspiracy theories that there's this plan to "keep Varga down" because it will "prove too many people wrong". lmao. That is just dumb and makes zero logical sense. The Colts front office would look brilliant if they found a good undrafted back out of Yale.

Maybe so but you are very naive!

Read the above posts, I can't remember who brought up the "deceptively athletic"  bit about Varga, but one person kept cracking at Well, WHAT do you mean by DECEPTIVELY athletic.......  he said Varga was the same size as Edge, so I contrasted Varga with Edge, and posted the numbers to verify why Varga is deceptively athletic, and why his comparison of choice, Edge, was athletic, but just brutally athletic.....not deceptively

I think Jimmy, Grigs and Pags would all like Varga to at least be on the PS. I don't think Jimmy would risk building up a guy publically that he wouldn't want another team to nabb.

Trying to be purely logical here and not my usual cynical curmudgeonly self, I think his comments indicate that they have already decided that Varga has made the team.

I don't know , you will have to ask the spin doctors on here to comment as I am sure they will find a few more ways to spin these comments .... like the conversation will turn in to that what Jimmy really meant was that he is looking at Ray Rice?

Well, you really are. Read the rest of the comment.

Think what you want. The universe does not revolve around the SEC.... unless you are an NFL GM. There might just be a few good non-pot smoking players on the near by planets as well? Unfortunately, these planets do not get any visitors from the NFL. At least not any that are not cynical!  

I like Orange vehicles.

Read the above posts, I can't remember who brought up the "deceptively athletic"  bit about Varga, but one person kept cracking at Well, WHAT do you mean by DECEPTIVELY athletic.......  he said Varga was the same size as Edge, so I contrasted Varga with Edge, and posted the numbers to verify why Varga is deceptively athletic, and why his comparison of choice, Edge, was athletic, but just brutally athletic.....not deceptively

If you are talking about me, I asked the question once. You went on and on about it.

Deceptively athletic was a term I heard multiple times on the broadcast, and they used it to describe Varga themselves, and cited it as a way others who are involved with professional football that they talked to describing him.

I think that's the reason is was first brought up here. A bit of sarcasm...poking fun of the professional people who have been saying that.

Part of it is, Edge went to Miami, Varga Yale...... No one expects a guy with a Yale degree to be athlete enough to play NFL football......or NBA basketball, or Baseball, or......you get the idea

Varga also didn't do many combine drills, another reason most are surprised by his ability, not many people got to see the Yale Bulldogs Pro Day.....what channel was it on?  vs. ESPN's combine coverage.....  

Contrary to what you keep bringing up, No one care that Varga is of any particular ethnicity.

I don't keep bringing up anything. Maybe try reading the thread again.

Think what you want. The universe does not revolve around the SEC.... unless you are an NFL GM. There might just be a few good non-pot smoking players on the near by planets as well? Unfortunately, these planets do not get any visitors from the NFL. At least not any that are not cynical!

I've never thought that or said that. Talk about spin. Considering the Colts sign multiple guys from small schools every year and even drafted one guy out of a D3 school and another from an unknown school in Florida this year, I think they're aware of that as well. So is the whole damn NFL. It just so happens the majority of players come from the SEC, ACC, and Pac 12 because, drum roll, they're the most talented conferences in college.

Here's the comment I told you to read, read carefully:

To be clear, I have no issue that you think Varga is our 2nd best back, I definitely disagree, but that's your opinion and that's fine, I guess. My problem lies with you and your conspiracy theories that there's this plan to "keep Varga down" because it will "prove too many people wrong". lmao. That is just dumb and makes zero logical sense. The Colts front office would look brilliant if they found a good undrafted back out of Yale.

There isn't one logical, reasonable reason you can give me for why the Colts would be actively trying to "keep Varga down", or any UDFA, for that matter.

Deceptively athletic was a term I heard multiple times on the broadcast, and they used it to describe Varga themselves, and cited it as a way others who are involved with professional football that they talked to describing him.

I think that's the reason is was first brought up here. A bit of sarcasm...poking fun of the professional people who have been saying that.

Who are these "professional people"? What are their credentials for evaluating physical performance and athleticism. When I look at most of them all I can do is raise my eyebrows. And they are talking about, reporting about and evaluating players ..... pleeezzzz!

Who are these "professional people"? What are their credentials for evaluating physical performance and athleticism. When I look at most of them all I can do is raise my eyebrows. And they are talking about, reporting about and evaluating players ..... pleeezzzz!

The context in which I heard the term led me to believe that because Varga is white, they assumed that he lacks shiftiness as a running back. Until they see him run with the ball.

I'm not saying that he is. I'm saying that was what I thought the professional's were saying.

Because I never heard of the guy or ever watched him before the third preseason game, I had no idea how he ran. Then after about 3 carries I could tell that he was athletic...not "deceptively" so.

So I don't know why others would have coined that term, unless just for the mere fact that he is a white RB and that they are stereotyped as being straight line tough guys like Gerhardt or John Riggins back in the day, and aren't capable of being shifty. So seeing one that is surprises them. To them, his whiteness is what's deceptive.

Hey, I hope opposing linebackers think the same way.

Who makes the decisions on the cuts? If it's Pags, I fear Varga will get cut due to lack of "experience".

It will be disappointing if he is cut in favor of Ballard which would be rediculous.

I hope we keep 4 RBs...

Gore

Robinson

Herron

Varga

If we keep 4 I hope that's it. That would be the best RB depth we've had in quite a while. All 4 good and capable backs.

The context in which I heard the term led me to believe that because Varga is white, they assumed that he lacks shiftiness as a running back. Until they see him run with the ball.

I'm not saying that he is. I'm saying that was what I thought the professional's were saying.

Because I never heard of the guy or ever watched him before the third preseason game, I had no idea how he ran. Then after about 3 carries I could tell that he was athletic...not "deceptively" so.

So I don't know why others would have coined that term, unless just for the mere fact that he is a white RB and that they are stereotyped as being straight line tough guys like Gerhardt or John Riggins back in the day, and aren't capable of being shifty. So seeing one that is surprises them. To them, his whiteness is what's deceptive.

Hey, I hope opposing linebackers think the same way.

It's rare to see a white guy who poses the right attributes and athleticism to be a good NFL RB. I think that's what they're getting at.