Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arthur Jones Injury Status (Merge)

RealityIsLuck

I chimed in on the Griffin stuff. Just got tired of saying the same thing over and over again...

No one's biting in here. They just want to keep acting like there was any way to foresee or prevent a traumatic leg injury.

I'm not saying it was a bad signing, per se, because these injuries could not have been foreseen (though I wasn't nearly as excited about the signing as most everyone else but that wasn't injury related). However, I will say since he's joined the Colts he's been injury prone and a major disappointment on the field, despite the difference in YPC everyone loves to reference to defend him).

I saw the hit that injured him Saturday, he was rolled up on for sure, but I think a lot of guys who don't have ankle issues in their history walk away or have a lesser strain.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying it was a bad signing, per say, because these injuries could not have been forseen (though I wasn't nearly as excited about the signing as most everyone else but that wasn't injury related). However, I will say since he's joined the Colts he's been injury prone and a major disappointment on the field, despite the difference in YPC everyone loves to reference to defend him).

I saw the hit that injured him Saturday, he was rolled up on for sure, but I think a lot of guys who don't have ankle issues in their history walk away or have a lesser strain.

He hasn't been injury prone. He's suffered traumatic injuries. Last year, he got hurt in Game 2. I don't know how much of an impact he was supposed to have made in less than two games, and after that, he was nursing a bad wheel. 

As for this year's injury, I'll have to disagree vigorously. His 'history' had nothing to do with that injury. No one is walking away from that.

He hasn't been injury prone. He's suffered traumatic injuries. Last year, he got hurt in Game 2. I don't know how much of an impact he was supposed to have made in less than two games, and after that, he was nursing a bad wheel.

As for this year's injury, I'll have to disagree vigorously. His 'history' had nothing to do with that injury. No one is walking away from that.

He wasn't all that impressive last year through preseason or in his one and a quarter games prior to injury, as I recall. And, as I said, the same was true this year in preseason.

We can disagree on the injury that's fine. I don't recall the play that caused the injury last year.

He wasn't all that impressive last year through preseason or in his one and a quarter games prior to injury, as I recall. And, as I said, the same was true this year in preseason.

We can disagree on the injury that's fine. I don't recall the play that caused the injury last year.

He played 69 snaps last year before getting hurt. I don't know what kind of impression you guys expect from a 3-4 DL in 69 snaps. And similar to this year, someone fell on his leg. Unavoidable. This year's was much worse, though. 

The truth is we don't know what Art Jones would mean to this defense, because, unfortunately, he hasn't been given a chance to perform at full strength. 

I chimed in on the Griffin stuff. Just got tired of saying the same thing over and over again...

No one's biting in here. They just want to keep acting like there was any way to foresee or prevent a traumatic leg injury. 

Part of the game when teams hand out good sized contracts. Ya just never know ... big , fast players playing a contact sport. It's going to happen...

He played 69 snaps last year before getting hurt. I don't know what kind of impression you guys expect from a 3-4 DL in 69 snaps. And similar to this year, someone fell on his leg. Unavoidable. This year's was much worse, though.

The truth is we don't know what Art Jones would mean to this defense, because, unfortunately, he hasn't been given a chance to perform at full strength.

72 last preseason, 69 reg. season prior to injury, and 41 this preseason. I expect to see more than the "just a guy" I've seen from Art in those ~180 snaps. ~180 is more than enough for a reasonable impression. And he didn't look all that much different after the injury.

Henry Anderson > Malcom Brown

Henry Anderson has only had 79 snaps in comparison and you have a good first impression from him, as do I. That's a lot less than the 180 from a supposedly healthy Jones.

For all Malcolm Brown / Eddie Goldman fans.

Malcolm Brown: -5.2 (in 3 games).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/02/how-every-first-round-rookie-has-played-this-preseason/

Henry Anderson:  +4.4 (in 2 games, vs. Eagles, vs. Rams, no data vs. Bears).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/08/31/grades-for-rams-colts/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/08/17/grades-for-colts-eagles/

Is it unbelievable? Not really.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/08/17/colts-have-two-impact-rookies-on-defense/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/11/cff-overview-di-top-of-the-crop/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/08/cff-sig-stats-interior-defenders/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/07/10-biggest-draft-steals/

So far it looks like Grigson got 1st round talent at WR with 1st round pick AND 1st round talent at DE with 3rd round pick.

I know, it’s only preseason, 2nd stringers, vanilla offense and so on. But… well… Malcolm Brown didn’t play against Dallas or Baltimore 1st string OLs as well.

P.S. Just for fun:

Leonard Williams: +2.8;

Danny Shelton: +2.6;

Arik Armstead: -0.7.

72 last preseason, 69 reg. season prior to injury, and 41 this preseason. I expect to see more than the "just a guy" I've seen from Art in those ~180 snaps. ~180 is more than enough for a reasonable impression. And he didn't look all that much different after the injury.

Henry Anderson has only had 79 snaps in comparison and you have a good first impression from him, as do I. That's a lot less than the 180 from a supposedly healthy Jones.

Fair enough on Jones. I don't think he's a world beater. My beef is mostly with the idea that the injuries are a reflection of him or anyone else. 

As for my impression of Anderson vs. Brown, that goes a lot further than just preseason. Anderson was one of my favorite DL in the draft. I've always been very 'meh' on Brown.

1. New England Patriots: Malcom Brown, DT (PFF Grade: -5.2)

Brown is part of a push by the Patriots to get younger and more disruptive up front, and while 2014 first-rounder Dominique Easley has responded with excellent play, Brown has been getting handled in his 77 snaps as a starter so far. Brown earned the fifth-highest grade of any defensive interior player in the FBS last year, but he has been unable to stop the run or generate any pressure (just a solitary hurry to date) so far in New England.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/02/how-every-first-round-rookie-has-played-this-preseason/

They are all wrong including the great Belichick. We will see but Brown is being asked to do a lot across the line and the Pats have the ability with Easley looking great so far to bring him along at a slower pace. Again, I see shades of Jaime Collins and his rookie year and Hightower too for that matter. Many Pats defensive players have taken a year or two to get comfortable in the defense.

Casserly had HIGH grades for Collins and Hightower like I said he does his homework

By Walterfootball.com?

Looks like PFF projected Anderson to be a 1st round pick... and Brown to be a 2nd round pick.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/30/4-questions-middle-of-the-first-round/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/27/focus-draft-round-1/

I'm not hopping on the PFF train, but I liked Anderson better than Brown and Goldman. I liked Jordan Phillips better than Brown and Goldman, too. If I took any DL at #29, it would have been Phillips. Other prospects would have been Kendricks and Collins. No thank you on Brown and Goldman. The Pats and Bears can have them.

Fair enough on Jones. I don't think he's a world beater. My beef is mostly with the idea that the injuries are a reflection of him or anyone else.

As for my impression of Anderson vs. Brown, that goes a lot further than just preseason. Anderson was one of my favorite DL in the draft. I've always been very 'meh' on Brown.

I get the traumatic part of both of Jones ankle injuries. While he can't avoid someone falling on him, the fact of the matter is that in most cases, a tendon or ligament injury never heals to be stronger than it was. There are cases where an athlete can bounce back and have a fine career. However, I would not be shocked in any way to see Jones step out a year from now and have another injury to the repaired ankles. Nothing against him but still, we need to walk away

Trade up for Joey Bosa next year?

Nope. If this past draft was any indication of things to come in the Grigson era, he said he's done with taking character issue players with early picks

Bosa is already suspended among others for the defending Champs opener against Virginia Tech. Not gonna fly for us

I get the traumatic part of both of Jones ankle injuries. While he can't avoid someone falling on him, the fact of the matter is that in most cases, a tendon or ligament injury never heals to be stronger than it was. There are cases where an athlete can bounce back and have a fine career. However, I would not be shocked in any way to see Jones step out a year from now and have another injury to the repaired ankles. Nothing against him but still, we need to walk away

I'm fine with that. This staff hasn't reworked anyone's contract since they've been here, aside from Mathis. I would think they'd try to redo Jones' deal after the season, but if they decide to move on, that's okay also. That all depends on what happens with him this season, if he comes back or not, and if so, how he plays.

Not by any analysts who know anything.

Care to give us a name or a website who had Brown going in the 3rd round?

I think I saw first round in about 99% of websites/analysts....      the other 1% had him high in the 2nd round.

My websites of choice are ESPN.com,  NFL.com,  CBSSports.com

Yours?

By the way,  it was reported here that the Colts had Brown as a high 2nd round choice.

Only because the DT position was not deep, Casserly even said on espn before draft he was unsure because of the deep WRʻs class and if it was up to him he would go best player available so that is exactly what the Colts did 

Whoa, WHAT?!

He was frequently projected to be in the top 20.

I agree with you that he was not "projected" to go in the 3rd of 4th round. However I would add that these "projections" are just talking heads and they know about what a good fan of the game knows. What we do (maybe know is that Houston wanted to trade into NE's spot to draft Dorsett. That's about the only thing I saw that was "leaked " on him or Brown. 

I hope they IR Jones, and keep Kelcy Quarles and/or Earl Okine.

Both of these young players looked good.

If they don't IR him , they will most certainly IR him with the designation to return. So in either event , there will be a spot for one of those two guys you mention.

Good thing we drafted Malcolm Brown when he fell to us and not a WR to compete for the third spot on an already great offense.

don't even try dude you will get ripped apart thinking this way trust me

I didn't want brown as my choice either tho I wanted Eric Kendricks instead of a Dorsett

don't even try dude you will get ripped apart thinking this way trust me

Yes, because it's stupid. Not only did we likely get a better player than Brown in the first round, we very likely got a better player than him, at his position, in the 3rd. Anderson also happens to be a much better scheme fit than Brown.

I'm fine with that. This staff hasn't reworked anyone's contract since they've been here, aside from Mathis. I would think they'd try to redo Jones' deal after the season, but if they decide to move on, that's okay also. That all depends on what happens with him this season, if he comes back or not, and if so, how he plays.

Way too early to talk about cutting him next year but fact of the matter is it's not a "cap disaster" by any means. He only has 3.3 mill of guaranteed money left on his deal. 

Way too early to talk about cutting him next year but fact of the matter is it's not a "cap disaster" by any means. He only has 3.3 mill of guaranteed money left on his deal. 

They haven't gotten their money's worth so far, that's for sure. But that's no one's fault, just the way the cookie crumbles. But yeah, the Colts haven't done any contracts that would hurt the cap significantly. The closest is Cherilus, and that was compounded by the salary rule adjustment. Oh well. Whether they keep Jones or not, the Colts cap is fine, and will continue to be fine.

They haven't gotten their money's worth so far, that's for sure. But that's no one's fault, just the way the cookie crumbles. But yeah, the Colts haven't done any contracts that would hurt the cap significantly. The closest is Cherilus, and that was compounded by the salary rule adjustment. Oh well. Whether they keep Jones or not, the Colts cap is fine, and will continue to be fine.

Say what you want about Grigson but you cant deny that the FA contracts given out have been very team friendly long term.