Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jarryd Hayne

During todays SF vs DAL game, Jarryd Hayne was trending on twitter in both Australia and New Zealand with 3 nice punt returns and a decent 34yd rush. After last weeks performance against the Texans many tv sports show plus newspapers reported on it , this itself is huge as normally the only coverage over here is about who won the superbowl. This is great news as it could lead to to a lot more fans of the NFL down under.  Being a huge fan myself of the NFL, i hope he keeps it up and makes the 53 man squad as 3rd/4th string RB and PR/KR.

During todays SF vs DAL game, Jarryd Hayne was trending on twitter in both Australia and New Zealand with 3 nice punt returns and a decent 34yd rush. After last weeks performance against the Texans many tv sports show plus newspapers reported on it , this itself is huge as normally the only coverage over here is about who won the superbowl. This is great news as it could lead to to a lot more fans of the NFL down under. Being a huge fan myself of the NFL, i hope he keeps it up and makes the 53 man squad as 3rd/4th string RB and PR/KR.

I think he makes the team looks liike he can play to me

I'm a massive fan of the Parramatta Eels (the team he left in Australia) and i couldn't be happier for him! I always knew he had the talent but it was always going to be a big ask to play in the NFL, let alone in such a short period of time. I hope he makes it too.

Thankfully for Gamepass i've been able to see both games live. 

The only time i'll cheer against him is if firstly he makes the team (of course) and then if he ever plays the Colts.

I'm hooked on the Hayne hype train.

I'm a Colts fan through and through but the 49ers are now my favourite NFC team.  I can see him making the 49ers final 53, he's got the talent and he's marketers dream.

Nothing against Adongo (who was playing 2nd division rugby here in NZ when the Colts nabbed him), I hope he turns out well, but Hayne is a true Rugby League star and showing that elite players can transition their skills.

Didn't get much work done today LOL

I've long been a supporter of the NFL seeking talent from other sports and Rugby (of either flavour) would seem to offer the most natural cross over especially for the RB/TE positions. If Hayne can establish himself as a legit NFL player I can see others following in his footsteps or at least trying to. 

For all the fellow rugby fans (I'll even be generous and include League :P) on here, who else would you like to see in the NFL? 

My list is very Union orientated but:

George North

Mathieu Basteraeaud (actually kinda reminds me of TRich  O.o )

Richie Gray

Julian Savea

Sonny Bill Williams

A young SBW would've made a wonderful linebacker.  Big, fast and can hit.

Jonah Lomu was a freak of nature, would've loved to seen him have a crack in his day.

Of todays current crop I reckon Roger Tuivasa-Sheck would be the stand out.  Unbelievable footwork, good size, great speed and still very young (just turned 22).

There are other great talents, GI, Folau and Johnson to name a few but RTS would be the pick of the bunch for me.

A young SBW would've made a wonderful linebacker.  Big, fast and can hit.

Jonah Lomu was a freak of nature, would've loved to seen him have a crack in his day.

Of todays current crop I reckon Roger Tuivasa-Sheck would be the stand out.  Unbelievable footwork, good size, great speed and still very young (just turned 22).

There are other great talents, GI, Folau and Johnson to name a few but RTS would be the pick of the bunch for me.

Yes on the Lomu front, though, and I'm being over critical here, was part of his success that at the time there really wasn't anyone near him at all in terms of physicality. I'll never forget this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPMZrPjW5cs

It would still be a valid question too in that those who are considered our the ordinary in terms of size and speed in the world of Rugby are probably more like the norm in terms of the NFL.

I've long been a supporter of the NFL seeking talent from other sports and Rugby (of either flavour) would seem to offer the most natural cross over especially for the RB/TE positions. If Hayne can establish himself as a legit NFL player I can see others following in his footsteps or at least trying to. 

For all the fellow rugby fans (I'll even be generous and include League :P) on here, who else would you like to see in the NFL? 

George North

Richie Gray

Julian Savea

Sonny Bill Williams

During the '03 World Cup, I kept thinking Joe Rokocoko would made a good wide receiver...

& of course Johny Wilkinson could probably still be playing if he wouldve been a placekicker in the NFL...

Yes on the Lomu front, though, and I'm being over critical here, was part of his success that at the time there really wasn't anyone near him at all in terms of physicality. I'll never forget this:

It would still be a valid question too in that those who are considered our the ordinary in terms of size and speed in the world of Rugby are probably more like the norm in terms of the NFL.

That's the thing, there's not been many close to Lomu's physical in either sport.  Who in the NFL has the below stats?

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 260lb

Speed: 100metres in 10.8sec 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/4531008/All-Blacks-measure-up-for-American-football

Julian Savea is probably the closest thing to Lomu NZ has had.

That's the thing, there's not been many close to Lomu's physical in either sport. Who in the NFL has the below stats?

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 260lb

Speed: 100metres in 10.8sec

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/4531008/All-Blacks-measure-up-for-American-football

Julian Savea is probably the closest thing to Lomu NZ has had.

Off the top of my head I'd say Megatron?

But yes he was a physical beast, my point was at that time Union players weren't especially big, it was.. Unfair :P

I'm a massive fan of the Parramatta Eels (the team he left in Australia) and i couldn't be happier for him! I always knew he had the talent but it was always going to be a big ask to play in the NFL, let alone in such a short period of time. I hope he makes it too.

Thankfully for Gamepass i've been able to see both games live. 

The only time i'll cheer against him is if firstly he makes the team (of course) and then if he ever plays the Colts.

Whoever invented gamepass is a true saint and should be heavily rewarded.

For those who dont know what it is, in some countries you pay $199 u.s dollars and receive every game plus playoffs plus redzone and talking head shows etc etc.

Makes my monday nights after work very busy with a lot of games to watch ( and of course quite a few sick days taken as well to watch the games live).

George North

Richie Gray

Julian Savea

Sonny Bill Williams

A young Richie Mccaw reminds me of Luke Kuechley. Both tackling machines who always play 100mph.

There was an article in todays paper about Hayne. Thats 2 in 2 weeks, must be some kind of record here. Plus he was on both news show at 6pm.

Listed at 236lbs,going off his 40 time at the combine he'd project to about a 10.3-10.5 100M time.

Except he doesn't.. Or didn't.

20+ pounds is significant.  I guess the point is Jonah was a freak regardless of sport, even by todays standards.  CJ has almost identical physical attributes to Greg Inglis.  

I think it's a bit of a myth that the elite of the Rugby/League equate to the norm of the NFL, the sports are vastly different.

All this aside the Hayne story has Australia and even NZ very interested.  Who knows maybe in 100 years there's one global contact sport (equivalent to soccer) and Hayne's move is looked back on as the catalyst :-)

20+ pounds is significant.  I guess the point is Jonah was a freak regardless of sport, even by todays standards.  CJ has almost identical physical attributes to Greg Inglis.  

I think it's a bit of a myth that the elite of the Rugby/League equate to the norm of the NFL, the sports are vastly different.

All this aside the Hayne story has Australia and even NZ very interested.  Who knows maybe in 100 years there's one global contact sport (equivalent to soccer) and Hayne's move is looked back on as the catalyst :-)

20 pounds is, but then  you could argue .3-0.5 of a second is significant over 100Mtrs... but we're "arguing" about nothing here, Megatron was just the first NFL example of a player who even by the very high standards of his peers is a cut above physically. I'd really want to see Lomu playing WR (maybe TE), conversely Megatron playing on the wing in Rugby (either code)... amazing :D Just to be clear I wasn't trying to diminish Lomu's physicality at all, just pointing out that he was way ahead of the times in the world of Rugby. NZ have always been an elite team and to throw that beast in on top, it's just not sporting :P

You're right the sports are very different, but NFL dudes are BIG but any standard. I'd struggle to find any sport that has such a collection of large men. 

To illustrate what I mean here's a nice article about the 15 heaviest rugby players:

http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2015/02/rugby-onslaughts-heaviest-xv-2015.html

Gives us a average weight of 288 pounds. pretty hefty stuff, but when in the world of the NFL 300 plus pounds doesn't really raise an eyebrow... heck they've had people topping 400 pounds.  

Note this isn't meant as a criticism of either sport, just an observation that we as viewers don't always appreciate just how big these guys are. They're scarily freaky athletes. 

Obsession with big men aside, I'm very happy to see Hayne doing well so far, I hope he makes the roster even just as a punt returner/change of pace back. It's good too that it's helping give the NFL more exposure in different markets. 

All this aside the Hayne story has Australia and even NZ very interested. Who knows maybe in 100 years there's one global contact sport (equivalent to soccer) and Hayne's move is looked back on as the catalyst :-)

I'm excited and I'm from the states and haven't seen a game of rugby in my life!

You're right the sports are very different, but NFL dudes are BIG but any standard. I'd struggle to find any sport that has such a collection of large men. 

To illustrate what I mean here's a nice article about the 15 heaviest rugby players:

http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2015/02/rugby-onslaughts-heaviest-xv-2015.html

Gives us a average weight of 288 pounds. pretty hefty stuff, but when in the world of the NFL 300 plus pounds doesn't really raise an eyebrow... heck they've had people topping 400 pounds.  

Note this isn't meant as a criticism of either sport, just an observation that we as viewers don't always appreciate just how big these guys are. They're scarily freaky athletes. 

I'd never contend that O-Line and D-Line guys are bigger in the NFL than in rugby/league because in rugby/league forwards are expected to run for 60-80 mins.  How many O-Line or D-Line or players could manage that? LOL  

What I was comparing was backs in rugby/league vs NFL RBs and WRs.  The weights and speeds across both sports are very similar and that is the myth I was alluding to.

I'd never contend that O-Line and D-Line guys are bigger in the NFL than in rugby/league because in rugby/league forwards are expected to run for 60-80 mins.  How many O-Line or D-Line or players could manage that? LOL  

What I was comparing was backs in rugby/league vs NFL RBs and WRs.  The weights and speeds across both sports are very similar and that is the myth I was alluding to.

A fair point, one of the biggest changes I think professionalism brought to Union was a huge increase in fitness standards, no more big fat props chugging slowly around the pitch, those guys put in a shift and a half in the modern game.

• 2 months later...