Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rodney Harrison blah blah blah. Is it WEEK 6 yet?

HORSEPOWER

Make a play in a hurry?, there was 29 seconds on the clock when the TO was called by the colts.   Where is the rush to run a play with 29 seconds on the clock and the jets had a TO that could be used if one wish to run a play?   they had only just run like a 2 yard run play so all of the players were at or near the line of scrimmage.  The jets had two simple options: run the clock down, call a TO, kick FG, or with 29 seconds to go on the clock line up run a play and call a TO, FGA.  Two minute offense folks.

To the best of my recollection which is supported by the comment about having to run a play in a hurry, the Jets did not have any timeouts left.  That's why Caldwell's timeout is so heavily scrutinized.  The Jets had just made a play, if memory serves, that got them to the point where they could attempt the 49 yard field goal, and they were not rushing to the LOS to clock the ball so it was apparent that they were going to settle for the 49 yd FG. 

Caldwell calling the TO gave the Jets the time to regroup, decide on a play, make sure the offense was all on the same play and then get out, lined up and run that play. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who watched the Colts in 2010 knows that the team was falling apart already. Not all on Caldwell, as the roster was pitiful, but he and Coyer did a terrible job making any adjustments on defense, and that theme played out even more vividly in 2011. As a matter of fact, this fatal flaw was evident in the second half of the SB against the Saints.

I don't understand why it's so important to you to try to give credit to a coaching staff that wasn't very good, to try to explain away all their faults. They just weren't good, and it showed in how they managed games and the season overall. With Manning sidelined in 2011, all their faults were exposed plainly; that team wasn't going to contend for the playoffs without Manning regardless, but they didn't have to start out 0-13. A good coaching staff wouldn't have let that happen.

Yes the colts roster was not their strongest in 2010 and imo mainly due to injuries, but some of their players were getting older so agree on that point.  And it certainly helped that Peyton was there to help them win and squeeze out 10 games. 

But what can get frustrating is when I see a fan base that gets mad at a coach and claim that they are not "good."  Especially when team won 24 games in 2009 and 2010. 

The same thing happened here in NE between 2005 to the present.  There were folks who complained about BB.  "why did he let Branch go (and others)", "he cant draft", "get Brady some weapons before he gets too old", "go 'all in' like other teams", "hire good coordinators, don't hire from within", "he has not won anything" , "I am getting sick of his smugness", "his act is getting old", "why didn't he kick a FG in SB42", "4th and 2", "fake punt in '10 jets playoff game", "he hasn't won since he coached with Parcells's draft picks" and on and on and on.  So post SB 39 there have been many of the same complaints leveled at BB.  And I see the ones first hand here against Caldwell now and when he was coaching. 

Yes it is tough to prove a negative, "like hey fans what do you think the team would look like without our coaches and we had another coach?"   But when a team has success, albeit with HOF QBs, I just get frustrated when I see a team have great success and the talking heads and fan complain just cause they did not win the big one.  both BB and Caldwell were coaches of teams that had regular season success and were in SBs late in the 4th quarters, but yet the fan bases complain.  Sorry its tough for me to sit back and watch.  

I defended BB and I have defended Caldwell.  No they are not always right and have both made coaches mistakes and each have been outcoached, but overall both coaches have done well for their respective teams.   And I support some of their decisions but not all of them.

Anyone who watched the Colts in 2010 knows that the team was falling apart already. Not all on Caldwell, as the roster was pitiful, but he and Coyer did a terrible job making any adjustments on defense, and that theme played out even more vividly in 2011. As a matter of fact, this fatal flaw was evident in the second half of the SB against the Saints.

I don't understand why it's so important to you to try to give credit to a coaching staff that wasn't very good, to try to explain away all their faults. They just weren't good, and it showed in how they managed games and the season overall. With Manning sidelined in 2011, all their faults were exposed plainly; that team wasn't going to contend for the playoffs without Manning regardless, but they didn't have to start out 0-13. A good coaching staff wouldn't have let that happen.

Just a side note since you brought him up, I did find Coyer's comments interesting after he was fired.  I don't remember if it was printed or on TV, but he basically said that he was not able to run the defense the way he wanted and that he had to play far more vanilla than he'd have liked...and that it was an organizational decision or something to that effect.  Sure...could have been the typical 'complaining about the people that fired you'.

To the best of my recollection which is supported by the comment about having to run a play in a hurry, the Jets did not have any timeouts left.  That's why Caldwell's timeout is so heavily scrutinized.  The Jets had just made a play, if memory serves, that got them to the point where they could attempt the 49 yard field goal, and they were not rushing to the LOS to clock the ball so it was apparent that they were going to settle for the 49 yd FG. 

Caldwell calling the TO gave the Jets the time to regroup, decide on a play, make sure the offense was all on the same play and then get out, lined up and run that play. 

To the contrary they had one left.  After the pass to Edwards, they let the clock run down to 3 seconds, called their last TO and kicked the walk off FG.   My guess is that they would have let the clock run down to 3 seconds on the earlier play and called their last TO also making the FGA the last play of the game. 

Prior to that they had gotten a first down on a pass, then ran a safe play to LT to get a few yards to the 32 and on second down were kind of milling around when the colts called a TO.  With a TO in their pocket and 29 seconds to go on the second down their entire playoff was basically open to them, what ever play they ran simply call a TO after the play and bring in Folk.  The only thing that could go wrong for the jets in that situation was a negative play, and is why I think they were content to let the clock bleed on second down and why Caldwell acted forcing their hand. 

Again perhaps not the flavor for all peeps, but I see where he was coming from given the above dynamic.  

To the contrary they had one left.  After the pass to Edwards, they let the clock run down to 3 seconds, called their last TO and kicked the walk off FG.   My guess is that they would have let the clock run down to 3 seconds on the earlier play and called their last TO also making the FGA the last play of the game. 

Prior to that they had gotten a first down on a pass, then ran a safe play to LT to get a few yards to the 32 and on second down were kind of milling around when the colts called a TO.  With a TO in their pocket and 29 seconds to go on the second down their entire playoff was basically open to them, what ever play they ran simply call a TO after the play and bring in Folk.  The only thing that could go wrong for the jets in that situation was a negative play, and is why I think they were content to let the clock bleed on second down and why Caldwell acted forcing their hand. 

Again perhaps not the flavor for all peeps, but I see where he was coming from given the above dynamic.  

I stand corrected...they did have one TO left.  So yeah I don't know why the Jets would have had to scramble to run a play in a hurry.  That was the only thing I could come up with that made sense. :)

Just a side note since you brought him up, I did find Coyer's comments interesting after he was fired.  I don't remember if it was printed or on TV, but he basically said that he was not able to run the defense the way he wanted and that he had to play far more vanilla than he'd have liked...and that it was an organizational decision or something to that effect.  Sure...could have been the typical 'complaining about the people that fired you'.

And he's never worked in the NFL since. Kind of blows away the idea that there was an organizational directive to "Suck for Luck." 

To your point, I don't know that I buy what Coyer said. The defense being vanilla was only part of the problem. It was soft and uncompetitive underneath, and then every once in a while, Coyer would send a zone blitz that had no chance of getting pressure on the QB. He was bad on his own.

Sorry folks for getting a tad sidetrack on the thread.   On topic . . .  

What are you guys going to do tomorrow, your daily weekly routine, or something extra?  Think about it.

In one way I do see where Rodney may be coming from in regards to his comments.  I think his "best thing to happen to Brady" maybe a little out of context and Rodney did not meant for his entire career/legacy but for the upcoming year. 

Without getting into the details of Deflategate, I think most people would see how Brady, from Brady's position and not yours, would feel jilted by all of this talk and the fines to him and the Patriots.    And when one feels unjustly punished, notwithstanding the fact they may or may not have committed a crime, they can tend to channel that anger into focus and/or revenge, if you will, back at the entity that have created the unjust.   As it was the NFL, through Goodell, the ones are the other 31 teams.

Its kind of 2007, where we had Spygate and the pats felt jolted and responded.  I do not think it was a coincidence that the same year of Spygate the Pats went on a tare.   I think after Spygate the pats treated every game like a playoff game.  Win or go home.   With that said every game was a must win, even when we had the #1 seed locked up.   It was a hell of a ride frankly and I do think there was an undercurrent that this was not your normal year.  I think NFLN started the path to perfection in like week 5, every team came gunning for us and gave it their all evident by the fact only the Eagles won in the regular season the game after playing us, an indication to me that the teams were worn down from the game.

So yes, as evident imo by 2007, there are times when one may just go to work on routine daily basis and when one might treat a certain work day different.  Just as an accountant who goes all out during tax season or the quarter end, could technically do the same year round but would likely not do so year round.   Same is true for football players and coaches where each regular season game may not have the same week to week win or go home feel and some may go home here and there at 8 pm where they may not in the playoffs.    

If you get caught for speeding and pay your fine then find out that the cops leaked it to your school you were speeding and it gets around and your kid comes home crying, then the following Tuesday you are playing in your weekly softball league and the cop that gave you the ticket and the one that leaked it to your school as well as the teacher that made your kid cry are playing on the other team, you will likely have more of a hop in your step then other Tuesdays.  I think that is the center of Rodney's point.  Sure you try ever week at softball, but you might have that extra incentive win on that particular Tuesday.  Sure you can work 14 hours days 6 days a week year round, but likely most will not.  

Who knows what will happen in 2015, but I can see where Rodney is coming from with his points.

And he's never worked in the NFL since. Kind of blows away the idea that there was an organizational directive to "Suck for Luck." 

To your point, I don't know that I buy what Coyer said. The defense being vanilla was only part of the problem. It was soft and uncompetitive underneath, and then every once in a while, Coyer would send a zone blitz that had no chance of getting pressure on the QB. He was bad on his own.

It was the defensive playcalling that was atrocious.  As we know, tampa-2 coverage can be good in situations but should not be run on a regular basis.  I remember I started tracking defensive playcalls in 2011 just to see how bad it was, and then around week 8 or 9 that season on one of the colt game broadcasts, they also showed a graphic that showed the teams that ran tampa-2 coverage the most.  The colts were #1 running tampa 2 coverage roughly 50% of the time whereas the #2 team was somewhere around or under 20%. 

Coyer's complaints were that he was forced to be vanilla and was not allowed to blitz the way he wanted.  Again, I'm not saying I 100% buy into what he said, but this is one of the few times a fired coach has made complaints about the org. that fired him that I don't totally dismiss.

It was the defensive playcalling that was atrocious.  As we know, tampa-2 coverage can be good in situations but should not be run on a regular basis.  I remember I started tracking defensive playcalls in 2011 just to see how bad it was, and then around week 8 or 9 that season on one of the colt game broadcasts, they also showed a graphic that showed the teams that ran tampa-2 coverage the most.  The colts were #1 running tampa 2 coverage roughly 50% of the time whereas the #2 team was somewhere around or under 20%. 

Coyer's complaints were that he was forced to be vanilla and was not allowed to blitz the way he wanted.  Again, I'm not saying I 100% buy into what he said, but this is one of the few times a fired coach has made complaints about the org. that fired him that I don't totally dismiss.

We went to Mike Murphy after Coyer left, who ran even more Cover 2 than Coyer. And the defense played better, primarily because he reduced the cushions on the outside and didn't drop the MLB as deep or as often. Tackling got better, yards/attempt went down, etc. That's all Coyer had to do.

Even if they were forcing him to use more Cover 2 / Tampa 2 than he wanted -- which I'm not sure is true, but let's go with it -- they weren't forcing him to play his corners 8-10 yards off every down, including in the red zone. I don't totally put it past Polian to have dictated the kind of coverages the defense would play, especially that year. But I still saw plenty of blitzes, most of which were ineffective. 

We went to Mike Murphy after Coyer left, who ran even more Cover 2 than Coyer. And the defense played better, primarily because he reduced the cushions on the outside and didn't drop the MLB as deep or as often. Tackling got better, yards/attempt went down, etc. That's all Coyer had to do.

Even if they were forcing him to use more Cover 2 / Tampa 2 than he wanted -- which I'm not sure is true, but let's go with it -- they weren't forcing him to play his corners 8-10 yards off every down, including in the red zone. I don't totally put it past Polian to have dictated the kind of coverages the defense would play, especially that year. But I still saw plenty of blitzes, most of which were ineffective. 

Just to make sure there is no confusion, when I refer to tampa-2 coverage, I'm not talking about the cover2/tampa2 defensive philosophy.  I'm referring specifically to the prevent-style tampa 2 coverage where the MLB and both CBs drop into deep coverage with the 2 safeties and 2 OLBs covering the short and intermediate area of the field.  They were playing this coverage almost 50% of the time on defense.  I remember them doing it on multiple 3rd and 5 or less situations, even on the goal line.  They'd have Angerer line up basically where the first yard marker was and he would then drop even deeper once the ball was snapped.  Teams repeatedly threw short passes to Backs and TEs in that short-middle area.  It was maddening! 

I have no problem with the cover-2 defensive philosophy as a whole.  I'd have no problem running Rod Marinelli's version with the right personnel, and I know that personnel was definitely an issue in that 2011 season.

Make a play in a hurry?, there was 29 seconds on the clock when the TO was called by the colts. Where is the rush to run a play with 29 seconds on the clock and the jets had a TO that could be used if one wish to run a play? they had only just run like a 2 yard run play so all of the players were at or near the line of scrimmage. The jets had two simple options: run the clock down, call a TO, kick FG, or with 29 seconds to go on the clock line up run a play and call a TO, FGA. Two minute offense folks.

Yes agreed, it did give the jets a chance to "regroup" but it also gave the colts D a chance to regroup. If someone make a plays (or fails to do so), its happens. I really do not hold it against the decision if the decision had purpose in the first place. Like I said in my prior post, but did not expand to have a lengthy post, but in BB decisions plays were made and not made that made the decision to look "smart" or "stupid".

For example in the Denver game, if the Denver ST does not screw up on the free kick perhaps we do not win that game (the ball ended up on their 12 yard line or something on the free kick), and have to explain why we gave away 2 free points. In the 4&2 game, if Meriweather lets the RB score we get the ball back with about a minute to go an only down by one. (which would of been the third chance our team had to win on the 4&2 play with the 4th down conversion being the first and stopping colts on downs at the 29 being the second). The fact that Meriweater forded us our 3rd opportunity to win that game or the Denver returner screwed up the return by missing the free kick causing the ball to end up inside their 20 does not really change the initial decision by BB. So some will call BB a "genius" in '03 but yet him a bonehead in '09 and Caldwell in '10.

I view all the calls as roughly the same, one make a call that he thinks increases the chances for his team to win. If I agree with that, which I do on those cases, I am not going to subsequently hold it against the coach if things go bad.

Its like the last SB, with the down, distance, time and TO situation, Pete Carroll wanted to run a pass play lest he leaves a down on the board (which would of happened if they just ran two run plays and failed as they only had one TO in their pocket). So Pete Carroll understandably so choose a quick pass play and two run plays thereafter as opposed to just two run plays. As there never has been a pick all year in that type of pass play most folks would say it was safe. If one were to ask folks on a street you have two boxes containing plays to win a SB, one box contains two runs plays and other box contains the exact same two run plays and an extra pass play which has never resulted in a pick all season, most folks would choose box number two. Pete Carroll did too and yet folks think he is a bonehead, go figure? ? ? ?

Players make players but it does not change the initial chances in the two boxes above, it happens.

And again, I may too have let the jets bleed the clock and kick the FG from 49 yards, but at the same time I see where coach was coming from with his decision. Ball at the edge of FG range, they don't want to run a play, they likely need 10+ yards to increase their chances, we make them run another play and we can knocked them out of FG range if they try to set up a play that goes more than 10 yards.

29 seconds was not a lot of time with the way Jets were handling it at that time.

They were in a bit of panic and that timeout eased it. As I mentioned earlier the momentum and energy were with colts. We could feel it in the stadium and comes the timeout and it deflated everything and everyone.

You can give him 2014, but he also went 14-2 his first year with the Colts and then proceeded to go 10-6 and 2-14 in years two and three. That is why I wrote before that given his track record, the possibility of a 9-7 or 8-8 season exists for this year.

Yes it could happen and things will find there way, like water seeking its own level.  For the most part coaches will get teams to a level, high or low, consummate to their skill levels.  Surely at times coaches will not do as well as their talent is lacking (BB in Cleveland) and at times will ride the coattails to a degree of great players, like with Peyton.

So lets see what happens.

As a side note would not mind seeing Detroit do well regardless of who is coaching the Lions.  

29 seconds was not a lot of time with the way Jets were handling it at that time.

They were in a bit of panic and that timeout eased it. As I mentioned earlier the momentum and energy were with colts. We could feel it in the stadium and comes the timeout and it deflated everything and everyone.

what?   They ran three plays in 16 seconds after the kickoff, so not sure where your bolded comment comes from.   With a timeout in their pocket to stop the clock after the play they could of easily run a 4th play in the 29 seconds left on the clock, and waited for it to go down to like 3 second and call a TO.

As for momentum we are just going to have to agree to disagree.  

I stand corrected...they did have one TO left.  So yeah I don't know why the Jets would have had to scramble to run a play in a hurry.  That was the only thing I could come up with that made sense. :)

fair enough, my memory is not the best either in most situations, I find myself more often than not going to a website to refresh my memory.  :) .  Yah I do not disagree with folks sentiment here to just let them take the FGA.  And just because the jets themselves did not want the stop the clock does not de facto make stopping the clock is the right answer for the colts.   Who knows maybe the jets wanted to see if the colts would call a TO and lingered around to try to bait and extra TO, but my sense is that was not the case. 

what? They ran three plays in 16 seconds after the kickoff, so not sure where your bolded comment comes from. With a timeout in their pocket to stop the clock after the play they could of easily run a 4th play in the 29 seconds left on the clock, and waited for it to go down to like 3 second and call a TO.

Yes to the last sentence

Roidney is probably right.....but his rationale is pathetic.

Let's face it.....Tom Brady had already cultivated not only a chip on his shoulder, but Sequoia National Forest on his shoulder because of the horrible persecution and humiliation he endured being drafted in the 6th round.

Never mind that for whatever reason he couldn't lock down the starting QB job at Michigan, and physically he looked like a debate team member who snuck in to the NFL combine.

But I get the competitive shot in the arm that would give a guy to prove himself...and he is the NFL's all-time draft day steal, and without question a great QB in the G.O.A.T. conversation.

Where I'd draw the line is if Brady is trying to draw motivation or some sort of victim status out of a situation like deflate-gate when everyone on planet earth outside of Matchachoochee knows....that on some level....Tom Brady, his lawyers and the NFLPA are full of crap.

And no courtroom jiujitsu is gonna change that.

Thank you PAC56. You spoke with such clarity right there that I have nothing more to add. 

“… I’m telling you: This is the best thing that could have happened to Tom Brady,” former Pro Bowl safety Rodney Harrison told MMQB.com’s Jenny Vrentas. “This will rejuvenate him. The rest of the league better look out. This year, he’s going to make everybody pay for what’s happened.”

I stopped reading the article after this.  Since when did Tom Brady need to be rejuvenated??????????  How is this the best thing that could've happened to him????

The Patriots won the SB last year.  Sometimes I don't know if Harrison knows what he's talking about.  Brady will be the same Brady he's always been, he's been playing with a chip on his shoulder ever since I can remember.

Exactly M-432. What the hades is Rodney talking about? Shouldn't a SB title defense be enough motivation by itself alone? Beautifully stated my man. 

Rodney Harrison....Rodney Harrison.......oh ya, now I remember that guy. He is guy that lost that Superbowl 

the-catch-eli-manning-to-david-tyree-sup

Nice. No matter how many times I see that, it never gets old. Like a fine wine; it just gets better with age. Good work Lollygagger! 

Yes the colts roster was not their strongest in 2010 and imo mainly due to injuries, but some of their players were getting older so agree on that point.  And it certainly helped that Peyton was there to help them win and squeeze out 10 games. 

But what can get frustrating is when I see a fan base that gets mad at a coach and claim that they are not "good."  Especially when team won 24 games in 2009 and 2010. 

The same thing happened here in NE between 2005 to the present.  There were folks who complained about BB.  "why did he let Branch go (and others)", "he cant draft", "get Brady some weapons before he gets too old", "go 'all in' like other teams", "hire good coordinators, don't hire from within", "he has not won anything" , "I am getting sick of his smugness", "his act is getting old", "why didn't he kick a FG in SB42", "4th and 2", "fake punt in '10 jets playoff game", "he hasn't won since he coached with Parcells's draft picks" and on and on and on.  So post SB 39 there have been many of the same complaints leveled at BB.  And I see the ones first hand here against Caldwell now and when he was coaching. 

Yes it is tough to prove a negative, "like hey fans what do you think the team would look like without our coaches and we had another coach?"   But when a team has success, albeit with HOF QBs, I just get frustrated when I see a team have great success and the talking heads and fan complain just cause they did not win the big one.  both BB and Caldwell were coaches of teams that had regular season success and were in SBs late in the 4th quarters, but yet the fan bases complain.  Sorry its tough for me to sit back and watch.  

I defended BB and I have defended Caldwell.  No they are not always right and have both made coaches mistakes and each have been outcoached, but overall both coaches have done well for their respective teams.   And I support some of their decisions but not all of them.

Please .....

what?   They ran three plays in 16 seconds after the kickoff, so not sure where your bolded comment comes from.   With a timeout in their pocket to stop the clock after the play they could of easily run a 4th play in the 29 seconds left on the clock, and waited for it to go down to like 3 second and call a TO.

It comes from watching the actual game.

The Jets got clock stoppages after each play. The first play wound up being reviewed. The second play went out of bounds. They weren't running play after play. They ran it to LT, had a timeout, and Caldwell didn't even wait to see what the Jets were going to do next, he called the timeout immediately (which blows Polian's excuse for the TO away, which was 'we didn't have the right personnel on the field and weren't matched up well; the ball hadn't even been handed to the refs yet). No one knows what the Jets would have done, throw, pass, run the clock down and take a long FG from there. Given the fact that they had just run it up the gut and had a timeout remaining, it's likely that they were going to wait for the clock to run down, use the timeout, and kick the 49-50 yard FG. 

Caldwell bailed them out, gave them the equity they needed to try one more play, since they still had a timeout remaining, and that's just what they did. They got Sanchez all dialed in, lined up exactly how they wanted against our predictable defense, and went right back to their go-to receiver against our worst corner, gaining 18 yards in the process. Then they ran the clock down to 3 seconds and kicked a near chip shot 32 yard FG with no time on the clock.

The timeout was indefensible. 

It comes from watching the actual game.

The Jets got clock stoppages after each play. The first play wound up being reviewed. The second play went out of bounds. They weren't running play after play. They ran it to LT, had a timeout, and Caldwell didn't even wait to see what the Jets were going to do next, he called the timeout immediately (which blows Polian's excuse for the TO away, which was 'we didn't have the right personnel on the field and weren't matched up well; the ball hadn't even been handed to the refs yet). No one knows what the Jets would have done, throw, pass, run the clock down and take a long FG from there. Given the fact that they had just run it up the gut and had a timeout remaining, it's likely that they were going to wait for the clock to run down, use the timeout, and kick the 49-50 yard FG.

Caldwell bailed them out, gave them the equity they needed to try one more play, since they still had a timeout remaining, and that's just what they did. They got Sanchez all dialed in, lined up exactly how they wanted against our predictable defense, and went right back to their go-to receiver against our worst corner, gaining 18 yards in the process. Then they ran the clock down to 3 seconds and kicked a near chip shot 32 yard FG with no time on the clock.

The timeout was indefensible.

There you go, Yehoodi.

The TO in the Jets game was a mistake but it was just that a mistake... all coaches make them from time to time.  But Caldwell is a good coach and he keeps getting better.  With the Colts, when they were at full strength he led them to a 14-0 record and a trip to the SB.  After that the Colts fought injuries not only Manning but remember the oline was in shambles with a different starting 5 just about every week.  Then in Baltimore he takes over as OC late in the season, turns the offense around and wins the SB.  And now in Detroit he did was amfootball stated.

I do find it funny that people bring up what he did at WF as proof he's bad coach.  heck, even BB was not that good of a coach his first stint in Cleveland.

Oh well, some people will never forgive and blame Caldwell for not going for a perfect season and the hate will remain.

Wow NESN is still around? If Brady is not suspended, Rodney could be right. The catch to that is that 1 insane season under such circumstances could be his final burst followed by the end next season. That's usually how it goes with older quarterbacks and that whole Eye of the Tiger thing. If he is suspended...meh...I look for the whole thing go be anticlimatic besides the week of his return.

Well, NESN does broadcast Red Sox and Bruins games here...

The TO in the Jets game was a mistake but it was just that a mistake... all coaches make them from time to time.  But Caldwell is a good coach and he keeps getting better.  With the Colts, when they were at full strength he led them to a 14-0 record and a trip to the SB.  After that the Colts fought injuries not only Manning but remember the oline was in shambles with a different starting 5 just about every week.  Then in Baltimore he takes over as OC late in the season, turns the offense around and wins the SB.  And now in Detroit he did was amfootball stated.

I do find it funny that people bring up what he did at WF as proof he's bad coach.  heck, even BB was not that good of a coach his first stint in Cleveland.

Oh well, some people will never forgive and blame Caldwell for not going for a perfect season and the hate will remain.

The problem with the timeout in the Jets game was that was not his first time making that type of mistake. Apparently, he did not learn from it and it ended up probably costing the Colts a playoff game.

I brought up his stint as head coach at Wake for the precise reason that he was a head coach. He may be a fine coordinator, but I have yet to see him demonstrate great ability as a head coach. If he leads the Lions to multiple winning seasons and wins a Superbowl, then I will stand corrected.

It really has nothing to do with not going for the perfect season, which I believe was more a Polian decision than a Caldwell decision.

The problem with the timeout in the Jets game was that was not his first time making that type of mistake. Apparently, he did not learn from it and it ended up probably costing the Colts a playoff game.

I brought up his stint as head coach at Wake for the precise reason that he was a head coach. He may be a fine coordinator, but I have yet to see him demonstrate great ability as a head coach. If he leads the Lions to multiple winning seasons and wins a Superbowl, then I will stand corrected.

It really has nothing to do with not going for the perfect season, which I believe was more a Polian decision than a Caldwell decision.

That was the first time he made that mistake.  When he called the TO in the Jax game it was the right decision.

That was the first time he made that mistake.  When he called the TO in the Jax game it was the right decision.

I was not referring specifically to the Jacksonville timeout, but other game management decisions. I would have to refresh my memory on the Jacksonville game in order to give an opinion on it.