Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Rankings sure to please Colts fans

NFLfan

So is he not a good QB because he has good protection? I take stuff like that into consideration when I compare QBs, but I don't penalize one player because he has a better offensive line. I can adjust for it, but it doesn't make Romo any less of a QB.

And specific to Romo, he's suffered through some bad line play for a long time, and is known for buying time, extending plays, and still making good throws down the field. We know for a fact that his playmaking ability doesn't hinge entirely on having a good offensive line. This kind of criticism would be more appropriate for someone like Phillip Rivers or Kurt Warner, who we know are/were prone to struggle when their line play is bad.

I'm saying he is an average to slightly above average QB that plays better because of amazing line play and a running game to lean on. Also this is my perception from watching him play, but you can view it however you want.

Edit: I also feel the same way about Russel Wilson.

The one year he was really asked to throw the ball, 2012 (648 attempts, almost 100 more than any other season he's played) He had a 4 year low in TD passes and a career high in Interceptions. The Cowboys as a team also finished 8-8 that year.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying he is an average to slightly above average QB that plays better because of amazing line play and a running game to lean on. Also this is my perception from watching him play, but you can view it however you want.

The one year he was really asked to throw the ball, 2012 (648 attempts, almost 100 more than any other season he's played) He had a 4 year low in TD passes and a career high in Interceptions. The Cowboys as a team also finished 8-8 that year.

Romo gets some good coaching and top talent around and you seem to hold it against him. Those are two things Manning has had most of his career......and most well respected quarterbacks. To each their own I guess.

Romo gets some good coaching and top talent around and you seem to hold it against him. Those are two things Manning has had most of his career......and most well respected quarterbacks. To each their own I guess.

We see things a lot differently. I thought Manning's supporting cast was below average, save Harrison and Wayne. Manning elevated those players, Romo doesn't elevate anyone.

We see things a lot differently. I thought Manning's supporting cast was below average, save Harrison and Wayne. Manning elevated those players, Romo doesn't elevate anyone.

Wayne, Harrison, Dallas, Tarik Glenn, Edge......really??? Now later in his colts career, Manning was definetly carrying the load.

I think Rodgers is going to continue being the clear number one for the next five or so years. Who follows behind him is anyone's guess. There are a lot of good young quarterbacks in the league right now, and with the evolution of the passing game and videogame numbers we see more and more, trends are looking up for these guys.

Wayne, Harrison, Dallas, Tarik Glenn, Edge......really??? Now later in his colts career, Manning was definitely carrying the load.

I said save for Wayne and Harrison, and we can add Edge to that as well.

but, Dallas for sure, Addai, Stokley, Tamme, Collie, Garcon, Gonzalez, etc. an argument can be made for D Rhodes too. And more recently, Sanders, Decker and I believe J Thomas (but we will see).

Plus Manning was covering up some glaring holes in the O-Line as well

Of course, in your eyes... you're the one you wrote it.

So whatever you wrote had factual supporting evidence to support it and other member(s) wouldn't be upset enough to report the post? Just checking...

*** BTW- If you have issues with posts / moderation etc... you need to address it by sending a PM to a Mod with your concern. Thanks. ***

Easy there, Chief.

I have been posting here long enough to know which ones are aggressive and which aren't. I am sure you have rights and access to find that post. You can check it for yourself.

No one is complaining. Just pointing out of the disappearance of the post.

I have never been a person that has only touted rings. For sure they are a part of the conversation but I think we all know that a QB's body of work take into consideration his wins, stats, teammates, coaches, etc. I think with Romo he takes a lot of blame when he has had clowns for head coaches, a lousy defense for most of his career and a petulant WR in Bryant. Yet the guy performs at an all time high level. I just don't get it. He is easily a top 5 QB for this season and has been his entire career.

Remember that game against Denver when Cowboys scored 47 points. That's how good they are offensively. They have a great OL, great RB and great WRs. You put Rodgers or Manning there, they will score over 30 every year.

Problem is Romo does that once in every blue moon.

Easy there, Chief.

I have been posting here long enough to know which ones are aggressive and which aren't. I am sure you have rights and access to find that post. You can check it for yourself.

No one is complaining. Just pointing out of the disappearance of the post.

No more public warnings.  You have an issue, PM a mod and have them PM you back with details.  No more public comment on this.  I am out of the picture, but you have been instructed.

No more public warnings. You have an issue, PM a mod and have them PM you back with details. No more public comment on this. I am out of the picture, but you have been instructed.

Where am I complaining?. You are making assumptions. Your post sounds more like a threat than an instruction.

Ok, I will PM saying the post disappeared.

Thank you.

Perplexing

Why do you say that? Romo gets a bad rap, probably because he plays for the Cowboys but he is a top 10 QB, if not better.

Quote:

"40.4 attempts per interceptable pass

Romo has always been forced to live with an unearned reputation for turning the football over. Interceptions in big moments have played a major role in that while his teammates more often than not contributed to those more than the quarterback did. With the best offensive line in the league, a great running game and receivers who knew where to be in 2014, Romo flourished.

He was able to rely more on his teammates, but he still played the game with unbelievable patience in the pocket while still being aggressive and creative. Watching Romo play with such creativity while still taking great care of the football was simply phenomenal.

What makes his statistics even more impressive, five of his interceptions came in games where he clearly wasn’t close to 100 percent healthy. If he had been fully healthy for the full year, it’s fair to think he may have had an outlandishly impressive ratio of attempts per interceptable pass."

http://presnapreads.com/2015/05/28/the-interceptable-passes-project/

Why do you say that? Romo gets a bad rap, probably because he plays for the Cowboys but he is a top 10 QB, if not better.

Quote:

"40.4 attempts per interceptable pass

Romo has always been forced to live with an unearned reputation for turning the football over. Interceptions in big moments have played a major role in that while his teammates more often than not contributed to those more than the quarterback did. With the best offensive line in the league, a great running game and receivers who knew where to be in 2014, Romo flourished.

He was able to rely more on his teammates, but he still played the game with unbelievable patience in the pocket while still being aggressive and creative. Watching Romo play with such creativity while still taking great care of the football was simply phenomenal.

What makes his statistics even more impressive, five of his interceptions came in games where he clearly wasn’t close to 100 percent healthy. If he had been fully healthy for the full year, it’s fair to think he may have had an outlandishly impressive ratio of attempts per interceptable pass."

http://presnapreads.com/2015/05/28/the-interceptable-passes-project/

His teams weren't as bad as their record suggests.

I have seen him being the single reason of cowboys losing many games.

he was also the reason they were in many games. The guy is much better than people give him credit for

Tell me how Peyton would play with that OL and offense. They have a great tight end and a great WR. Other WRs are no slouch either. They would have won a lot more games than Romo ever did.

I know I'll get called a homer (which is ironic, because I'm only saying it because I think most people here WAY overrate the rest of our offense) but give me Luck at no 1. The level of success he had with a below average O-line, below average WRs, and below average running backs playing with him last year was unreal. Not to mention a shaky defense. Rodgers 2, Brady 3. After that I'm not sure. I would think Manning but the way he ended last season, I can't confidently say that he's up there at the present moment.

Tell me how Peyton would play with that OL and offense. They have a great tight end and a great WR. Other WRs are no slouch either. They would have won a lot more games than Romo ever did.

I don't think anyone is saying Romp is as good as Manning. But he is much better than must people give him credit for

Every QB plays better because of amazing line play and a running game, though. 

The thing I disagree with is the "average to slightly above average" part. To me, that's Andy Dalton and Alex Smith, and Romo is considerably better than both of them (so is Russell Wilson). He's not great, but he's pretty good. And there aren't a lot of pretty good QBs in the NFL, so while I think he's top ten, that's more a referendum on the state of QBing, not a statement that Romo is awesome and on his way to the HOF.