Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Rankings sure to please Colts fans

NFLfan

Yesterday Colts fans were miffed that the Colts did not crack the top 10 in either Bucky Brooks' or Peter King's rankings of the top NFL teams of this year. 

Well, here's one that should make Colts fans feel better. Yesterday Matt Miller put out his listing of top 50 Quarterbacks from 2014.  He has Luck at #4, one spot ahead of Russell Wilson and Manning (#2) comes ahead of Brady (#3). Unlike Peter King, Miller gives detailed reasons for rankings.

#1.  Rodgers

#2.  Manning

#3.  Brady

#4.  Luck

#5.  Wilson

#6.  Brees

#7   Roethlisberger

#8   Romo

#9   Ryan

#10 Flacco

For fans of other teams on this board:

#11. Palmer -- (Rivers is better, IMO.)

#12. Bridgewater -- nice to see Teddy ahead of all 2014 rookie QBs

#14. Stafford

#15. Rivers (I love Teddy but Rivers is much better. He is top 6-7 in my book. I'm a big fan of Rivers. :))

#18. Derek Carr

#20. Dalton

#21. Cutler

#29. Hoyer

#30. Mallett

#33. Foles

#37. Bortles -- why no criticism of Bortles by those on this board?

#44. Manziel, behind Logan Thomas. Who would have thunk it?

Surprises: Carson Palmer at 11 and Foles at 33.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2330912-br-nfl-1000-ranking-the-top-50-quarterbacks-from-2014

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Teddy Bridgewater too. . . I said for a long time he was the best QB in the draft class and it pleases me that the Texans whiffed on getting him.

All that having been said if you are ranking them in their play right now. . . He's way way too high.

Foles is way too low. . . It's not listed on here but they have Foles under Vick and Sanchez.  Really Foles is under two guys that he directly beat out in Philly??  

RG3 is too high.  Seriously?  Again what world is this that RG3 is better then Foles.

I think Peyton has 1 more elite season in him.

My top-10:

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Peyton Manning

4. Andrew Luck

5. Tony Romo

6. Drew Brees

7. Ben Roethlisberger

8. Philip Rivers

9. Russell Wilson

10. Matt Ryan

I like your list a lot. I may drop Romo and Brees behind Rivers. I give you credit for adding Wilson in your top 10. Many Colts fans discredit him because he has a good team around him.

Yesterday Colts fans were miffed that the Colts did not crack the top 10 in either Bucky Brooks' or Peter King's rankings of the top NFL teams of this year. 

Well, here's one that should make Colts fans feel better. Yesterday Matt Miller put out his listing of top 50 Quarterbacks from 2014.  He has Luck at #4, one spot ahead of Russell Wilson and Manning (#2) comes ahead of Brady (#3). Unlike Peter King, Miller gives detailed reasons for rankings.

{snipped for brevity}

#37. Bortles -- why no criticism of Bortles by those on this board?

#44. Manziel, behind Logan Thomas. Who would have thunk it?

Surprises: Carson Palmer at 11 and Foles at 33.

First, I too would put Rivers higher, at #9 above Ryan.  I'm OK with Palmer and Foles.  I feel Palmer is much better (healthy) than people know, and Foles really isn't as good as folks think.  I think Chip Kelly might have made him to be the next Matt Flynn.  We'll see.

Now, as for the Bortles comment?  Why would we?  Yes I know he was taken #3 overall, ahead of your Teddy Bridgewater.  But here is my take.  It was well known Bridgewater was more NFL ready than Bortles, much like Winston is over Mariota.  But the Jags took the diamond in the rough over Teddy, because, they didn't think Bortles would have to be thrown to the wolves and could get coaching and acclimated while letting Henne take on the starting duties.  Well, that went (AFC) South fast.  I was at the Colts vs. Jags in Jax last September.  Henne was awful!!!  The Colts had a 30 - 0 lead at halftime.  Jags fans were beyond despondent.  They were screaming for Bortles!  Anything but what they just saw.  Lo and behold, Blake starts the second half!  And he made some plays!  And some mistakes. But he showed athletic ability (especially at 6'5" and 230 lbs) pocket presence, and leadership.  Yes, Colts D was in let up mode, but Jags actually outscored us 17-14 in the second half.  Jags fans felt an NFL caliber team finally showed up in second half.  Skip to 1:30 here to see Bortles juke Werner and make a play-

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Week-3-Indianapolis-Colts-vs-Jacksonville-Jaguars-highlights/ffcc2c3a-a635-43e2-9856-c4416647cd44

Bortles has a large upside, but they were hoping to develop some of the rough edges (mechanics and accuracy for starters) before tossing him into the fire.  The Jags are bad, really bad.  Bortles made them look like they at least belong on the turf.  Bortles a main reason, rookie warts and all. If the Jags can develop him before they destroy him (a la Jake Locker style), then Bortles may prove to have been worth his draft position.  I think we'll really know what's in the bag the Jags bought not this year, but 2016, the 3rd year leap season.

RG III won the NFL OROTY.  Compare him to Luck after year 3.  I'm on wait mode for Blake, so my concerns are elsewhere right now.

Now, as for the Bortles comment? Why would we? Yes I know he was taken #3 overall, ahead of your Teddy Bridgewater.

I wrote that because Manziel, Teddy, and Carr have been praised and criticized by some here. Bortles plays in your division and was picked #3 and he is never mentioned. So let me rephrase, "Why no talk of Bortles?"

...so my concerns are elsewhere right now.

On Brady? ;)

I wrote that because Manziel, Teddy, and Carr have been praised and criticized by some here. Bortles plays in your division and was picked #3 and he is never mentioned. So let me rephrase, "Why no talk of Bortles?"

He was a development project to learn from the bench that the atrocious Jags have derailed and have thrown into the fire.  Those other guys you mention were supposed to start and be 'the guy' straight away.  It was crystal clear by Chad Henne starting for the Jaguars, that Bortles was not. Yes, even though picked at #3. But the Colts forced the Jags hands in week 3 last year. Jags have got new coaching and are frantically rebuilding, and Bortles play is fire and ice as he learns and develops on the fly.  IMO, anybody that makes any definitive statement right now can be proven dead wrong in the next 2 years.  Either way they take it. Total crap-shoot.  Gus Bradley now has Doug Marrone as asst. head coach and O line coach which may help Bortles, but the Jags just aren't relative to us in the division... yet...

I guess we're all waiting for that hot mess in NorthEast FL to settle before reading the layers.

At this point, Big Ben is better than Brees and Rivers, IMO. Steelers are not that old pound the ball type of team and are carried by Big Ben, no two ways about it.

My top 10 would be this:

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Peyton Manning

4. Andrew Luck

5. Ben Roethlisberger

6. Tony Romo

7. Philip Rivers

8. Drew Brees

9. Russell Wilson

10. Matt Ryan

So I guess Colin Kaepernick no longer is a QB??? Oh...my bad. he is 23, and ahead of him is RG3. Ouch.

Lol. The list was too long. After the top 10, I included only QBs that play for teams of fans that I have seen post here.

Its Rodgers and then everyone else.

I know you are correct, but it's weird for me.  For some reason, when I'm thinking of the top QB's  I sometimes forget about him :scratch:    I can't explain it.  No logical reason.   I guess I rarely watch GB games, so that is probably why I havn't paid much attention to him.

I'm still working on my QB rankings. Miller's are pretty good.

I don't understand how Luck's arm strength is 17/20, but Manning's is 16/20. He might be giving Manning some love there. But still, Manning's deep ball accuracy is 20/20. That guy is special, and continues to make up for what he lacks physically in a number of ways.

In your opinion. But Brady was SB MVP and Rogers league MVP. It is those two and everyone else but for sure I would have Rodgers at 1 and Brady at 2 heading into this season.

Being sb MVP doesn't vault a player into the category of elite. Rodgers is far superior at this point

In your opinion. But Brady was SB MVP and Rogers league MVP. It is those two and everyone else but for sure I would have Rodgers at 1 and Brady at 2 heading into this season.

Heading into this season/at the start, Brady won't be playing :D  :thmup:

A little fact checking. Last 3 years comparison-  Descending via  W-L record:

Name                 w    L    QBR   Rate   SB

P Manning         38 - 10   81    107    1L

Brady                36 - 12   71    94     1W

Wilson               36 - 12   65    99    1W - 1L

Luck                  33 - 15   64    87     --

Rodgers            29 - 12   76    108

Romo                28 - 18   69    100

Flacco               28 - 20   54    84     1W

Roethlisburger   26 - 19   63    97

Brees                 25 - 23   70    99

Rivers               25 - 23   60    96

Ryan                 23 - 25   68    94     

No.

Best QB is not based on W-L

Rogers is by far the best, but Brady lucked himself into a SB win and SB MVP when an unknown CB caught a bad pass at the 1 yard line.

I think i'm being generous at having him #4, we'll see how well he does now that he can't cheat with his balls.

No.

Rogers is by far the best, but Brady lucked himself into a SB win and SB MVP when an unknown CB caught a bad pass at the 1 yard line.

I think i'm being generous at having him #4, we'll see how well he does now that he can't cheat with his balls.

I agree with you on all accounts.

No.

You can put him wherever you want. Right now he is the most accomplished QB of the Super Bowl era and the best QB of his generation. 2015 is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme.

I'd go:

1) Rodgers

2) Big Ben (Not many noticed, but he's been quietly fantastic recently.)

3) Luck

4) Peyton (This four-time MVP and best QB in the league for at least  7 of the last 13 years deserves the benefit of the doubt.)

5) Brees

6) *Shady (Maybe a little high, if cheating gained him even more than we think.)

You can put him wherever you want. Right now he is the most accomplished QB of the Super Bowl era and the best QB of his generation. 2015 is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Yea, but you know. He Cheated.... Not just on one occasion (DeflateGate, Spygate, etc) There is always that?

I'd have him ranked a LOT higher if it weren't for these blemishes.

Yeah, footnotes to a career that every QB will be chasing ...

I see him as having a Barry Bonds stigma. Sure he holds the records, but no one ever talks about him or the records once he's gone. I can see that easily happening, and I think his HOF status is also in jeopardy.