Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Day 3 Thread

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No looks like we also swapped 5th's with San Fran.  Not sure that I really like this particular move.  Seems like someone who we probably could have snagged in the 7th or signed as an UDRFA.

Yeah we swapped 5ths so we didn't lose our 5th. We only gave up our 7th to move up.

Some of you people are ridiculous and bash Grigson simply because you don't know the guy he drafted.  Oh I wanted this guy, I waned that guy, give me a break, it's the 5th round, it's not like you've been doing extensive film work on these guys.  You just read what some genius wrote on some website and now you're an expert.

Bad pick for rd 5 even more so with who's still available

Does Griggs know what a NT looks like

Putting the pick down just because it doesn't match what a NT looks like in your mind...haha ok. I think the coaching staff and scoutes have alot better understanding than you or any of us.

Some of you people are ridiculous and bash Grigson simply because you don't know the guy he drafted.  Oh I wanted this guy, I waned that guy, give me a break, it's the 5th round, it's not like you've been doing extensive film work on these guys.  You just read what some genius wrote on some website and now you're an expert.

We're sports fans, we're not supposed to be rational. 

I'm good with that. 

Yeah I am not complaining either, and I think Grigs also made another solid pick. I personally liked Terry Williams as I think he will be a dominate NT. I never knew much about Parry but after some research I think it is a solid pick.

Putting the pick down just because it doesn't match what a NT looks like in your mind...haha ok. I think the coaching staff and scoutes have alot better understanding than you or any of us.

Hey, I don't dislike the pick, I dislike the round. Agreed we all have our opinions on a NT.

From reading about him they say he plays verypowerfully for his size and explodes into offensive linemen.Hes always the low man. And they say he can handle two gap duties despite his size. Hes powerful. And they scouts say they are unsure he can add more bulk. Not that he can't.

If you stand next to Parry, as I have,  his skin looks tight on his body.    Like he can't gain another pound.

Honestly,  he played last year at 295-300.    So, he's already up 10 pounds. 

When scouts says they are unsure if he can gain more weight it's because he looks like he's maxed out.  

Could he gain 5 more?     I suppose.    But at some point, I think more weight would eventually hurt his performance.

NCF is Parry quick?   maybe the Colts are looking to do more slanting like when Dungy was here....     

Short quick guys are GREAT for that type D

Yes, JD....    Parry is quick,  but I don't think he's THAT quick.

He's relentless.   He's going to give you MAX effort on every down.     He stays low and tries to move the lineman back by getting under them.  

He's a very good player.     I just didn't see him fitting with the Colts where we like our lineman to be HUGE.

Hughes 350

Chapman 340

Kerr     320+

Parry 308

Now, which one of the above is unlike the other?

Go figure...........?

People on here are so fickle it's rediculous. The moment we take a guy thats not known or doesn't meet what they believe is the specified size for a guy at that position it's a bad or questionable pick. Newsflash here....the coaching staff has most likely broken down hours of game film on this guy. If he couldn't handle his position because of his weight, I doubt they would have selected him.

If you stand next to Parry, as I have, his skin looks tight on his body. Like he can't gain another pound.

Honestly, he played last year at 295-300. So, he's already up 10 pounds.

When scouts says they are unsure if he can gain more weight it's because he looks like he's maxed out.

Could he gain 5 more? I suppose. But at some point, I think more weight would eventually hurt his performance.

Yeah I dont think he can 20 more pounds but another 5-7 to get him around 315 I dont think is gonna hurt him. Plus he's probably gonna put something on when he hits the weightroom. We'll see. But he's a strong smart player apparently. And I definitely don't think he's gonna be our every down NT. Probably a situational guy and or rotation guy with Chapman.

He's relentless.   He's going to give you MAX effort on every down.     He stays low and tries to move the lineman back by getting under them.  

He's a very good player.     I just didn't see him fitting with the Colts where we like our lineman to be HUGE.

Hughes 350

Chapman 340

Kerr     320+

Parry 308

Go figure...........?

But maybe we won't use him as a NT, but a DE/DT to help stop the run? Who knows?

exactly...  just hold your ground ...  that is HUGE... 

Not get BLOWN off the ball like NE seems to do us...

This guy plays low with power and leverage! If he maintains that discipline, it can make up for his size. The low man wins on the line of scrimmage.

Hughes 350

Chapman 340

Kerr     320+

Parry 308

Go figure...........?

I agree I didn't see him fitting with the Colts either due to his size. I think though we may be looking at him to complete the rotation and give us a legitimate pass rusher from the NT which is something we don't have.

But maybe we won't use him as a NT, but a DE/DT to help stop the run? Who knows?

He couldn't play at DE/DT.

He's short and stocky.    Short legs,  short arms.   He's a fire hydrant.     Not even close to the profile of DE or DT

He's got to be somewhere around the center to do any real damage.

I agree I didn't see him fitting with the Colts either due to his size. I think though we may be looking at him to complete the rotation and give us a legitimate pass rusher from the NT which is something we don't have.

Pass rush from the nose?     I thought that was what we got Montori Hughes for?     Seriously.

When it's passing down and distance,  Chapman comes out and Hughes goes in for the rush.

I don't see little David Parry -- the little Nose Tackle that could -- as being the pass rush Tasmanian Devil...

I'm sure the Colts have a plan for him.    They traded up to get him,  so they clearly want him.

I just don't know what that plan is,  and I look forward to finding out.

I guess the question is does he hold his ground?   does he get pushed off the ball?   because Chap does.

Pass rush from the nose?     I thought that was what we got Montori Hughes for?     Seriously.

When it's passing down and distance,  Chapman comes out and Hughes goes in for the rush.

I don't see little David Parry -- the little Nose Tackle that could -- as being the pass rush Tasmanian Devil...

I'm sure the Colts have a plan for him.    They traded up to get him,  so they clearly want him.

Montori Hughes has shown flashes, but he disappears a lot as well hopefully he connects the dots this year. I understand that the NT is not a position that is depended upon to deliver pass rush. I see Parry as a player that can offer decent pass rush ability from the interior though. I am not saying he is the next JJ Watt but I think he will be solid. I agree the Colts have something up their sleeve for Parry.

People on here are so fickle it's rediculous. The moment we take a guy thats not known or doesn't meet what they believe is the specified size for a guy at that position it's a bad or questionable pick. Newsflash here....the coaching staff has most likely broken down hours of game film on this guy. If he couldn't handle his position because of his weight, I doubt they would have selected him.

Except that NewColtsFan is a Stanford fan and is familiar with this guy.  I would put some stock in his opinion over the typical poster on this subject. 

If Parry pans out then cool...if not...no real biggie really.  He's a late 5th round selection.  Typically, guys are hit or miss from the 5th round on.  At the end of the day, not every guy drafted by the team experts will make the team.  Maybe he makes the team as a rotational backup...maybe he makes practice squad...or he could just end up camp fodder.  Time will tell. 

Yeah I dont think he can 20 more pounds but another 5-7 to get him around 315 I dont think is gonna hurt him. Plus he's probably gonna put something on when he hits the weightroom. We'll see. But he's a strong smart player apparently. And I definitely don't think he's gonna be our every down NT. Probably a situational guy and or rotation guy with Chapman.

I'd be happy if he can put on two more pounds to make 310!      :thmup:

When I say his skin is tight,  I mean really, really tight.     Like a balloon blown up so much you fear it might pop!

I'm sure he'll put on more....   but he's as close to being maxed out as you'll see from most player.

I guess the question is does he hold his ground?   does he get pushed off the ball?   because Chap does.

Parry absolutely holds his ground,  but that's on the college level.

I'd be much more concerned about that on the NFL level where players are not only bigger,  but much more skilled.

That's why I thought he'd get picked by a team that runs a 4-3 defense to play the nose for them.....

I didn't see him going to a 3-4 where the NT needs some size and mass.    

I'm not trying to be negative....    I'm sure the Colts have a plan....    I'm just very curious as to what it is.

He just has to be strong in the lower body.... Don't give ground and dont get pushed around...

34 reps of 225 and 300 lbs of muscle I like... Well see...

Me too...I'll take short guy whos strong and can get under guys and knows how to use his size, over a big huge guy who doesn't have strength and or know to use his size. I think Parry could present a challenge if he's off the ball quick and staying low. He's coming with power and leverage. And those together can trump size all day. If anything to me like NCF pointed out about his short arms, that will probably be his biggest disadvantage. But that's why he's probably gonna be used strictly as a rotational NT. Or so I think.

I guess Grigs is just getting his UDFAs early...starting in the 5th round.

The next time you say something insightful will be the first.

Please be sure to send up a flare so none of us misses it!

Parry is NOT an UDFA player.    And if you'd simply read this thread,  you'd know it.

Weslo....

Take a look at all my posts about David Parry....    I'm not down on the guy.    I just think he's a curious choice for the Colts.

As others have noted,  I'm a long-time Stanford fan.   I've seen every game David played.    I've stood next to him.

I'm confident the Colts staff has watched tons of tape on him.   I'm confident they know more about him than I do. 

I just don't see the scheme fit.    I'm sure we have a plan for Parry.   We traded up to get him.    I'm just curious what that plan is.

Great David Parry quote that he gave to the Colts today.....

ffe282510964cf2783abd660827b4f50_normal. 20m

DT-David Parry describing his style in the trenches: "There's a certain level of violence that needs to be used to play in this game."

THAT'S David Parry in a nutshell.    Like Henry Anderson,  you'll always feel like you're getting MAXIMUM effort from them every game.