Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson = Matt Millen + Al Davis

BProland85

Does anyone else see Grigson as a mixture of Al Davis and Matt Millen? Millen while with Detroit was obsessed with WRs, while Al Davis was obsessed with speed players. Grigson seems to love these type of guys and ignores the bully type of players that give this team attitude.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grigson's first round pick history:

2012 - Andrew Luck (no credit for this pick, you'd have to have been blind, deaf, and living under a rock to not pick Luck)

2013 - Werner (not a bust, but certainly not deserving of a first round pick in our defense, and doesn't live up to the hype Grigson and Pagano gave him)

2014 - traded for Trent Richardson (bust)

2015 - Dorsett (a pass catcher on a team loaded with pass catchers while not drafting several defensive players that could have really helped the team immediately)

Grigson's approach seems a little on the emotional side to me.  "Woah!  Frank Gore is available?  Let's sign him"....and ignore the fact that he will be 32 when the season starts and already has nearly 2500 carries and 11000+ yards.  "Woah!  Andre Johnson is available?  Let's sign him"....and ignore the fact that he'll be 34 when the season starts and is starting to show signs of declining.  "Woah!  Trent Cole is available?  Let's sign him"....and ignore the fact that he'll be 33 before the midway point of the season.  "Woah!  This Werner guy can bat balls down like JJ Watt?  Let's draft him"...and ignore the fact that he doesn't fit in our defense/our defensive coaches have shown that they can't utilize talent to its maximum potential.

I'm starting to hop on the fire Grigson bandwagon

Edited by 21isSuperman

Grigson's first round pick history:

2012 - Andrew Luck (no credit for this pick, IT WAS IRSAY'S PICK)

2013 - WERNER (not a bust, but certainly not deserving of a first round pick in our defense, and doesn't live up to the hype Grigson and Pagano gave him)

2014 - traded for Trent Richardson (bust)

2015 - Dorsett (a pass catcher on a team loaded with pass catchers while not drafting several defensive players that could have really helped the team immediately)

Fixed it for you ;)

But i do agree with you completely.

I loved the pick. But I guess Grigson should be fired. Am I doing this right?

In all honesty though I don't understand how Dorsett was higher on the board than Malcom Brown.

I do Like the Dorsett pick though.

Did you actually write the word "fired"....???

God,  I'd be so embarrassed if I ever wrote something like that.     Overreact much?

For your information,  Malcom Brown isn't even a scheme fit for what the Colts defense runs.

He's a 1-gap DT and Colts play in a 2-gap scheme. 

Yet, you want Grigson fired......

Good God.....     :facepalm:

God,  I'd be so embarrassed if I ever wrote something like that.     Overreact much?

For your information,  Malcom Brown isn't even a scheme fit for what the Colts defense runs.

Dear God...

Speedster Hilton worked out pretty well for this team. And he will be a FA next spring. So will Allen. And Fleener. Our top playmakers. So let's draft bully and let Andrew play with Carter, Swoope and rookie next year.

He was joking 

In all honesty though I don't understand how Dorsett was higher on the board than Malcom Brown.

So,  it's been pointed out to me that you were joking with the Grigson crack.

Apologies from me to you that I missed that.    That's a fast ball right down the middle that I just looked at.

My bad.     My apologies....

The end of a long night.    I spent most of it trying to stop people from jumping off a ledge over the pick.

Sorry,  I made one post too many........

So,  it's been pointed out to me that you were joking with the Grigson crack.

Apologies from me to you that I missed that.    That's a fast ball right down the middle that I just looked at.

My bad.     My apologies....

The end of a long night.    I spent most of it trying to stop people from jumping off a ledge over the pick.

Sorry,  I made one post too many........

Let um jump NCF. It seems it's always the same ones who have a problem with everything the Colts do. I really wonder if they are really Colt fans in the first place.

He's better than Millen at identifying talent at least

He takes way too many skill guys but he's good at it

He should really just be a designated offense scout and lets get a real GM in here

Grig's has had 8 picks including today's pick in rounds 1-5 since the 2012 draft of those 8 picks 6 have been used on Offensive linemen or the defensive front 7.

The two exceptions Moncrief and Dorsett. I've seen Dorsett ranked as the 3rd best WR in the draft. He can fly runs good routes by mid season I believe a lot of people will have changed their mind about this pick

I disagree we are loaded at WR. We have TY, an aging AJ, and a developing Moncrief. There's not much behind those guys.

Some people think we signed Cris Carter not his son who couldn't make a PS just 2 yrs ago. Brown a career back with some upside and Whalen whose not an NFL caliber WR

C'mon guys. The fans are the ones being "emotional" here. I know everyone wanted a defensive player or a stud OL but there was a run on OL. When you sit back and take a deep breath and think about the pick it should be a really good one for this team. Hopefully TY will be retained after this season and the reciever corp will be set for a number of years. Adding Dorsett will 1) immediately address the return game 2) add another potential homerun threat 3) Give Luck a young corp (TY, Moncrief and Dorsett)to bond with for years.

I will not be surprised if Grigson trades up now and takes a DL or Collins. I was really hoping that Dupree slipped to us but it didn't happen. I would have been really happy had that happened.

What? Brown is a 2 gap tackle but he can do it all ... extremely versatile.

Here is his write up:

The 6-foot-2, 320-pound defensive tackle has the ability to play multiple spots on the defensive line in either a 3-4 or a 4-3 front — versatility [personified].

Brown isn’t just another defensive lineman, though. He was a 2014 finalist for the Bronco Nagurski Trophy for the most outstanding defensive player, as well as for the Outland Trophy for the top interior defensive lineman. He was also voted a first-team All-American and first-team All-Big 12.

Brown is considered a solid two-gap defensive tackle for his ability to hold the point of attack, but he also has penetration ability to get into the backfield. He notched 13 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks, leading the team in both categories and becoming the first Texas defender to do so since 1984.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/04/30/patriots-stick-select-malcom-brown-with-first-round-pick/9LdnFtAI6kqqidtBkVpBlL/story.html?p1=takeover

What? Brown is a 2 gap tackle but he can do it all ... extremely versatile.

Here is his write up:

The 6-foot-2, 320-pound defensive tackle has the ability to play multiple spots on the defensive line in either a 3-4 or a 4-3 front — versatility [personified].

Brown isn’t just another defensive lineman, though. He was a 2014 finalist for the Bronco Nagurski Trophy for the most outstanding defensive player, as well as for the Outland Trophy for the top interior defensive lineman. He was also voted a first-team All-American and first-team All-Big 12.

Brown is considered a solid two-gap defensive tackle for his ability to hold the point of attack, but he also has penetration ability to get into the backfield. He notched 13 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks, leading the team in both categories and becoming the first Texas defender to do so since 1984.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/04/30/patriots-stick-select-malcom-brown-with-first-round-pick/9LdnFtAI6kqqidtBkVpBlL/story.html?p1=takeover

You guys got a great player and value pick.

You guys got a great player and value pick.

Yes. I am very happy that Brown was there and we took him. Very similar to when Wilfork fell to us #21 back in 2004.

How come the Colts did not take the safety Collins? I thought for sure they would take him or Brown.

Grig's has had 8 picks including today's pick in rounds 1-5 since the 2012 draft of those 8 picks 6 have been used on Offensive linemen or the defensive front 7.

The two exceptions Moncrief and Dorsett. I've seen Dorsett ranked as the 3rd best WR in the draft. He can fly runs good routes by mid season I believe a lot of people will have changed their mind about this pick

I disagree we are loaded at WR. We have TY, an aging AJ, and a developing Moncrief. There's not much behind those guys.

Some people think we signed Cris Carter not his son who couldn't make a PS just 2 yrs ago. Brown a career back with some upside and Whalen whose not an NFL caliber WR

Voice of reason

Yes. I am very happy that Brown was there and we took him. Very similar to when Wilfork fell to us #21 back in 2004.

How come the Colts did not take the safety Collins? I thought for sure they would take him or Brown.

That's what all of us are wondering!! And probably Belichick as well.

It's hard to say but Brown fell for some reason. Watching the draft unfold the Colts took the most time making their pick at the end. Most teams were rushing up there with picks by the end of the round. I wonder if Grigson was trying to trade back and had no suiters?

Let um jump NCF. It seems it's always the same ones who have a problem with everything the Colts do. I really wonder if they are really Colt fans in the first place.

So if one does not like the  pick, we are not Colts fans? Do we have to fall in line and accept all of Ryan;s choices/? Do you watch the same Colts every week getting pushed arouund by other teams running game? 

Bright side:

There is still, Carl Davis, Landon Collins, Eddie Goldman, Eli Harold, Erick Kendricks, Owamagbe Odighzuwa, Michael Bennett etc available. Grigson might have to spend another pick to move up and get one but they are still on the board.

C'mon guys. The fans are the ones being "emotional" here. I know everyone wanted a defensive player or a stud OL but there was a run on OL. When you sit back and take a deep breath and think about the pick it should be a really good one for this team. Hopefully TY will be retained after this season and the reciever corp will be set for a number of years. Adding Dorsett will 1) immediately address the return game 2) add another potential homerun threat 3) Give Luck a young corp (TY, Moncrief and Dorsett)to bond with for years.

I will not be surprised if Grigson trades up now and takes a DL or Collins. I was really hoping that Dupree slipped to us but it didn't happen. I would have been really happy had that happened.

When you set back and think it through, you realize that we drafted another project player.  He's a bust before he hits the field because of where he was drafted.

Grigson said he looked at his board for something that stood out and he Dorsett's speed.  That's not BPA or NEED, that was knee jerk reaction.

Now let's look at Dorsett.  Positives- speed.  Negatives- size, poor route runner, and catches ball with bad hand positioning.  That means it will be at least 3 years before he gets most of his problems straightened out (see T.Y.).

Now Dorsett doesn't look like a 1st rounder and was not BPA.

When you set back and think it through, you realize that we drafted another project player.  He's a bust before he hits the field because of where he was drafted.

Grigson said he looked at his board for something that stood out and he Dorsett's speed.  That's not BPA or NEED, that was knee jerk reaction.

Now let's look at Dorsett.  Positives- speed.  Negatives- size, poor route runner, and catches ball with bad hand positioning.  That means it will be at least 3 years before he gets most of his problems straightened out (see T.Y.).

Now Dorsett doesn't look like a 1st rounder and was not BPA.

Averaged over 25 yards per catch. Half of his receptions were for 25 plus yards. Oh, and he can return kicks and punts. Project? Erik Armstead is a project.

Your guess is as good as mine. Landon freaking Collins was right there. And Grigs chooses a luxury pick. :dunno:

Just because we drafted Dorsett doesn't make Grigson Al Davis 

Ever wonder why Raiders go through HCs so fast?  After Flores retired, the team went down hill.  Never built a balanced team.  Always went after speed receivers ( as said on this board last nite, speed kills).  Yes it kills, Coaches careers, GM's careers.  Speed is good if player is complete package (see Amari Cooper).  

Twice now Grigson has drafted speed receivers that are not complete.  Al Davis did that after Flores retired and look where they are now.

Time to think and question Grigson's board in the draft.

Averaged over 25 yards per catch. Half of his receptions were for 25 plus yards. Oh, and he can return kicks and punts. Project? Erik Armstead is a project.

What does he average when going short to medium routes?  Not saying he can't run, saying he is T.Y. 2.0.  He will need at least 3 years before he will be a good receiver.  Yes he is a project.  Needs to run routes better.  Need to catch better. A project just like T.Y.  

Ever wonder why Raiders go through HCs so fast? After Flores retired, the team went down hill. Never built a balanced team. Always went after speed receivers ( as said on this board last nite, speed kills). Yes it kills, Coaches careers, GM's careers. Speed is good if player is complete package (see Amari Cooper).

Twice now Grigson has drafted speed receivers that are not complete. Al Davis did that after Flores retired and look where they are now.

its hard to disagree with you, I have lost a lot of respect for grigson after this pick. What a headscratcher. But that being said we will see what happens by the end of the draft. I hope grigson isn't as dumb as I'm starting to think he is.

What does he average when going short to medium routes?  Not saying he can't run, saying he is T.Y. 2.0.  He will need at least 3 years before he will be a good receiver.  Yes he is a project.  Needs to run routes better.  Need to catch better. A project just like T.Y.  

Lol, TY "is" a project?? There isnt one team in the NFL right now who would not want TY Hilton and there isnt one team that we play that doesnt fear having to cover him. Almost every player has a weakness.

Ever wonder why Raiders go through HCs so fast? After Flores retired, the team went down hill. Never built a balanced team. Always went after speed receivers ( as said on this board last nite, speed kills). Yes it kills, Coaches careers, GM's careers. Speed is good if player is complete package (see Amari Cooper).

Twice now Grigson has drafted speed receivers that are not complete. Al Davis did that after Flores retired and look where they are now.

Don't know what other speed guy you are talking about but Dorsett can be more than that. He has TY Hilton qualities. He drafted one speed guy in four years in the first round. It's not like he's infatuated with them.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

If Brown was good enough for Belichick at #32 it's hard for me to process Grigsons's BPA "and it wasn't close" comment regarding Dorsett.

Let's hope Dorsett explodes opposing pass defenses and justifies his #29 selection beyond question.