Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Mock Draft 1.0

Round 1 - Shaq Thopmson, S/LB/RB, Washington.

Thompson is BPA at this pick. He can be a starter at SS and be our own version of Kam Chancellor. Here is my profile on him.

Round 2 - Henry Anderson, DT, Stanford.

Anderson is a very high-ceiling pass rushing dlineman. He excels at shooting gaps and getting pressure on the QB. He's an athletic freak who can come in and play 3-tech on passing downs and get to the QB.

Round 3 - Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma.

In my estimation, 2015 is probably Gosder Cherilus' last year with the Colts. Thompson is a big, strong lineman who will excel as a run blocker on the right side of the line. He'll benefit from a year of sitting and learning.

Round 4 - Matt Jones, RB, Florida.

Jones is a big (6'2" 230 lbs), powerful down-hill runner who will excel in a power-run scheme like the Colts run. He shows off good vision, patience, and pad level as a runner. He will benefit from learning how to pass block from Frank Gore. He has the size and ability to be a bell-cow back.

Round 5 - David Perry, NT, Stanford

Round 6 - Nick Marshall, CB, Auburn.

Marshall is a very good athlete who also has the added ability to play offense as a gadget player and emergency QB. He'll take a year or so to re-adjust to playing corner, but this is a good project player to take a flyer on.

Round 6 - Matt Miller, WR, Boise State

Round 7 - Tyler Moore, G, Florida

I like Shaq as an SS too.  He has been called the most 'flexible' player in the draft.  The kid will hit ya...and covers well.  We could even see him challenging TEs in coverage which we need badly.

I still go big, however if there.  Shaq, however could be one bad Jose' for years to come. :thmup:

I also think Shaq could offer a lot of flexibility but I can't deny that Eric Kendricks is a superior ILB.  I just can't find much video that shows that Shaq is decent in coverage compared to natural safeties.

Kenricks is unbelievable and could take Freeman's spot in the future:

Round 1 - Shaq Thopmson, S/LB/RB, Washington.

Thompson is BPA at this pick. He can be a starter at SS and be our own version of Kam Chancellor. Here is my profile on him.

Round 2 - Henry Anderson, DT, Stanford.

i've seen a lot of reference around here to Thompson not having a true position - but that seems to be based purely on the number of positions he played in college and that he would be undersized for a LB in our system.  With his size, if he can cover TE's effectively man to man and is good in run support....that is is a pretty natural position in our defense and I don't care what label you put on it.  Sign me up.

As for Anderson, it reminds me of when the Bronchos drafted Derek Wolfe early in the 2nd in 2012.  Looked a little overdrafted based on projections and measurables but is a very productive fit in their defense.  Exactly what you'd hope for in a 2nd rounder.  

Not saying that these are the players, but I think your reasoning is exactly the way the Grigs will value and select players.

I really don't like the Shaq Thompson to Indy hype. 

If we need a coverage LB, get Kendricks.

If we need a physical S get Collins, or If he's not there wait for Sample. 

But please don't get a tweener that would struggle against the run as a LB, and would not be a great coverage S either. 

Love the Shaq Thompson pick but I feel like he could be had in the 2nd round in a trade down do to several teams really not knowing where his best fit will be.....seems like the best bet would to play him in as a Joker and Nickel Backer(seems to me like a prime Seahawks type pick actually)

I like Anderson in the role you would have him, Certainly not an every down player though and for me drafted to high

I like Thompson as well as a run blocker, Hopefully would benefit sitting a year

Jones is alright but Ill take Duke Johnson 1 round earlier if there, The tape I saw on Jones he just didn't seem to have great power or burst or a 2nd gear, Showed a lack of patience for blocks to develop afew times, He showed enough speed to get around the edge though

Ill have to watch the others

I really like the picks in the 1st and 2nd round they would fill big holes in our defense. I think T.Thompson will be available a round later. So maybe a WR like Tre McBride in the 3rd round would be a nice pick up. Not really a fan of M.Jones, I think someone like Josh Robinson in the 6th would serve well instead. I also like David Perry, but I think Terry Williams would be another nice pickup in the 5th instead. Really nice mock, I wouldn't mind this at all.

Kendricks for me over Shaq.

Far superior ILB who fits what we need perfectly.

Anderson in the 2nd might be a bit of a reach as well

I do like the Matt Miller pick though

I'd definitely prefer Kendricks, but the question is if he'll still be there. If he's not, I'd gladly take Shaq. I don't see them as the same fit, but he'd be BPA for me.

You shouldn't try to fit a round peg into a square hole though. We're all about scheme versatility and Shaq brings just that. He may not be a prototypical S or LB, but he'd give us a playmaker that could play a unique role on our defense.

I'm a pretty big fan of this mock, although, I'd prefer a different RB maybe a round earlier.

• 1 month later...