Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Trent Richardson's filing of a grievance over salary a non-issue...

Stanford Joel

The Raiders are paying him something. Shouldn't the worse case scenario(if Trent wins the appeal) for the Colts be that they would only owe the difference between the "grievance" money and the new salary in Oakland?

Worst case scenario for the Colts is that they pay what would have been his 2015 pay ($3.12M).

Don't think it works like that Dustin. If he's getting paid by another team, that has to negate at least part of that 3.12 mil...in the worst case scenario.

The only way being signed to another team would effect his grievance was if he was claimed off of waivers, which he was not.

Don't think it works like that Dustin. If he's getting paid by another team, that has to negate at least part of that 3.12 mil...in the worst case scenario.

The only way being signed to another team would effect his grievance was if he was claimed off of waivers, which he was not.

His contract had no offset language, meaning a new contract won't offset what he was owed on his previous contract. He can double dip. If his contract had offset language, then his new salary would offset his old salary, dollar for dollar.

So, as Dustin said, since he wasn't claimed off waivers, his old contract is immaterial. He's still due the $3.18m from the Colts, pending the outcome of the grievance. 

I say come to a settlement or just pay him so he can be done with anything colts related. I am tired of reading and hearing about him. He has done nothing but be a nuisance to everyone involved in the colts organization, colts nation, and wasted a roster spot for someone wanting and willing to help the colts succeed. He will forever remain the worst stain in colts history. He is walking in the footsteps of the legendary Ryan Leaf!

I say come to a settlement or just pay him so he can be done with anything colts related. I am tired of reading and hearing about him. He has done nothing but be a nuisance to everyone involved in the colts organization, colts nation, and wasted a roster spot for someone wanting and willing to help the colts succeed. He will forever remain the worst stain in colts history. He is walking in the footsteps of the legendary Ryan Leaf!

I disagree. I want the Colts to defend their stance, and leave it in the hands of whoever is handling the grievance. If they win, great; if they lose, so be it. But there will be a clear precedent set, either way, and we'll know how these situations will be resolved moving forward.

I disagree. I want the Colts to defend their stance, and leave it in the hands of whoever is handling the grievance. If they win, great; if they lose, so be it. But there will be a clear precedent set, either way, and we'll know how these situations will be resolved moving forward.

I don't want them to pay anything either, but he has always just been a thorn in our side. And I'm sure Irsay thought about paying him off to get rid of him for good. I do agree with you about taking a stance. But I'm hoping this will be the last time the colts will have to face a situation like this. And if we don't settle could he sue for defamation of character, jeopardizing his livelihood, or some crazy nonsense that would get dragged out forever causing more bad publicity for the colts organization.

They did?    Trich had a better year, and probably career than Johnny Clipboard

Sorry,  but they did.

They sold while they could still get something for him.   And they got a lot.   A 1st round pick.

We had him for two years.   Got little out of him.   And got nothing for him.

The Browns could see the writing on the wall.      This is a rare time the Browns did something smart.   

Hey,  even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Sorry, but they did.

They sold while they could still get something for him. And they got a lot. A 1st round pick.

We had him for two years. Got little out of him. And got nothing for him.

The Browns could see the writing on the wall. This is a rare time the Browns did something smart.

Hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day!

The trade might have well been a good move. What they used it on was a worse move.

He cashed more playoff checks than David Carr .

You make that sound like a good thing. And you are probably wrong about it in the first place lol. Carr has a ring... And Richardson didn't even play in those playoff games lol....Like I said, best at highway robbery. Not sure why you take offense to this.

You make that sound like a good thing. And you are probably wrong about it in the first place lol. He didn't even play in those playoff games lol....Like I said, best at highway robbery. Not sure why you take offense to this.

David Carr was a far bigger bust, not sure why you take offense to this

David Carr was a far bigger bust, not sure why you take offense to this

David Carr has a Super Bowl ring, and was a first-round pick like Richardson was. Like I said, Richardson is one of the worst runningbacks ever. Now go take a nap or something, I'm not in the mood for a gang fight again.

a draft pick in itself is nothing.  they wasted it and ended up with a bust

The point is,  they got a good offer in return.

Two years later,  Richardson was worthless,  untradeable.

The fact that they screwed it up isn't the point.    They traded TRich before his worth had diminished.