Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Both Lines as they stand

IrishColt22

Considering how much of our cap space that we have used already I was thinking that the lines might be upgraded through the draft or maybe we are happy with what we have. So i thought i'd show exactly who we have at the moment and see who you think will be here come the start of the season and who we might stash on the PS

DL:

Gannon Conway   DE

Kendall Langford  DE

Earl Okine             DE

Montori Hughes    DT

Arthur Jones         DT

Kelcy Quarles       DT

Josh Capman       NT

Zach Kerr             NT

OL:

Anthony Castonzo T

Gosder Cherilus    T

Matt Hall                T

Tyler Hoove           T

Ulrick John             T

Jack Mewhort         T/G

Jon Harrison           C

Khaled Holmes       C/G

David Arkin              G

Ben Heenan            G

Todd Herremans     G

Lance Louis             G

Joe Reitz                 G

Donald Thomas       G

Hugh Thornton        G

They might look to take one OL in the draft but i think they will roll with what we have.

I hope they draft defence heavy this year and really push to head to San Fran.

I'm fine with our O-line as is, I think our C spot and Mewhort will be improved just because of their age alone and Herremans is obviously better than anything we had last season. D-line I liked the addition of Langford and I think he is better than both RJF and Redding, but I still think we need a nose. Wilfork would be nice or a rookie. 

I think we have improved, but we still have a weakness on the right side of the O-line and we need to improve our ability to stop the run.

If Gosder is 100% healthy this season then I would feel a little more comfortable with our O-line, but I hope we can find a future RT in the draft.

I believe we do not have a dominate DL. I like a lot of our defensive line players, but I would be very interested to see if a guy like Fairley would work as a DE or DT in our system. Better yet, why not go for a proven player in the 3-4 like a Randy Starks? I think we have a few more moves to make.  

I think both sides of the line are just missing a few pieces. We have to find a way to stop New England from running all over us, and we also have to find a way to run the ball against the better NFL defenses. I don't think we are quite there yet, but the offseason is still early. We probably have a few more signings to make and we also have the draft.

One last note, I hope Ulrick's injury wasn't the start of another often injured Colts offensive lineman, because I saw something special in him, and I believe the coaches did too.

Our defensive line sucks right now. There's no way to butter it up. We've basically done nothing to fix a horrid D-Line. I mean, there isn't much difference in Langford or RJF. So basically, we had a bad line, let one of our best lineman go (Redding) and have done nothing to improve it. I know FA just started, but we best start getting aggressive in going after Knighton/Wilfork/Fairley if we want a good, or even a better D-Line next year. We need to sign one of those 3, then draft a D-Lineman in the 1st (Phillips, Goldman, Armstead, etc). I thought we should have called the Ravens and done whatever it took to get Ngata, but I guess not. Signing Knighton would drastically improve our line. Its actually pretty simple. Sign one of those guys and have a good D-Line. Or don't sign one and have a bad D-Line. 

Our defensive line sucks right now. There's no way to butter it up. We've basically done nothing to fix a horrid D-Line. I mean, there isn't much difference in Langford or RJF. So basically, we had a bad line, let one of our best lineman go (Redding) and have done nothing to improve it. I know FA just started, but we best start getting aggressive in going after Knighton/Wilfork/Fairley if we want a better, or even a good D-Line next year. We need to sign one of those 3, then draft a D-Lineman in the 1st (Phillips, Goldman, Armstead, etc). I thought we should have called the Ravens and done whatever it took to get Ngata, but I guess not. Signing Knighton would drastically improve our line. Its actually pretty simple. Sign one of those guys and have a good D-Line. Or don't sign one and have a bad D-Line. 

Can we afford one of those guys though?

Our defensive line sucks right now. There's no way to butter it up. We've basically done nothing to fix a horrid D-Line. I mean, there isn't much difference in Langford or RJF. So basically, we had a bad line, let one of our best lineman go (Redding) and have done nothing to improve it. I know FA just started, but we best start getting aggressive in going after Knighton/Wilfork/Fairley if we want a better, or even a good D-Line next year. We need to sign one of those 3, then draft a D-Lineman in the 1st (Phillips, Goldman, Armstead, etc). I thought we should have called the Ravens and done whatever it took to get Ngata, but I guess not. Signing Knighton would drastically improve our line. Its actually pretty simple. Sign one of those guys and have a good D-Line. Or don't sign one and have a bad D-Line. If we don't sign one of those guys someone's integrity should be in question.

Langford > Redding > RJF

I truly don't understand why people struggle to see this so much. Langford in a 3-4 scheme is better than both Redding and RJF. He came here because he himself knows he is better in a 3-4 and likes it better, and he said as much in his interview right here on Colts.com, he wasn't at his best in St. Louis because he was in a scheme that really doesn't fit him as well as a 3-4. 

Our defensive line sucks right now. There's no way to butter it up. We've basically done nothing to fix a horrid D-Line. I mean, there isn't much difference in Langford or RJF. So basically, we had a bad line, let one of our best lineman go (Redding) and have done nothing to improve it. I know FA just started, but we best start getting aggressive in going after Knighton/Wilfork/Fairley if we want a better, or even a good D-Line next year. We need to sign one of those 3, then draft a D-Lineman in the 1st (Phillips, Goldman, Armstead, etc). I thought we should have called the Ravens and done whatever it took to get Ngata, but I guess not. Signing Knighton would drastically improve our line. Its actually pretty simple. Sign one of those guys and have a good D-Line. Or don't sign one and have a bad D-Line. If we don't sign one of those guys someone's integrity should be in question.

I have a feeling that Ozzie would want no part in trading Ngata to us, or any other team in the AFC. I get the feeling that Ozzie is a lot like Polian that way. Some of these old school GM's only trade named players to the opposite conference. If I were in their shoes I would do the same thing.

Our defensive line sucks right now. There's no way to butter it up. We've basically done nothing to fix a horrid D-Line. I mean, there isn't much difference in Langford or RJF. So basically, we had a bad line, let one of our best lineman go (Redding) and have done nothing to improve it. I know FA just started, but we best start getting aggressive in going after Knighton/Wilfork/Fairley if we want a good, or even a better D-Line next year. We need to sign one of those 3, then draft a D-Lineman in the 1st (Phillips, Goldman, Armstead, etc). I thought we should have called the Ravens and done whatever it took to get Ngata, but I guess not. Signing Knighton would drastically improve our line. Its actually pretty simple. Sign one of those guys and have a good D-Line. Or don't sign one and have a bad D-Line.

Obviously you haven't watched Langford at Miami of know that he is better suited and enjoys the 3-4 more.

I have a feeling that Ozzie would want no part in trading Ngata to us, or any other team in the AFC. I get the feeling that Ozzie is a lot like Polian that way. Some of these old school GM's only trade named players to the opposite conference. If I were in their shoes I would do the same thing.

They already traded him to the Lions.

Langford > Redding > RJF

I truly don't understand why people struggle to see this so much. Langford in a 3-4 scheme is better than both Redding and RJF. He came here because he himself knows he is better in a 3-4 and likes it better, and he said as much in his interview right here on Colts.com, he wasn't at his best in St. Louis because he was in a scheme that really doesn't fit him as well as a 3-4. 

Langford is better in a 3-4 yes. That was also 3 years ago last time he played in a 3-4, but the point is this. Langford's a good D-Lineman. He just isn't that monster that we need up front. He should be a solid backup and nothing more.

Langford is better in a 3-4 yes. That was also 3 years ago last time he played in a 3-4, but the point is this. Langford's a good D-Lineman. He just isn't that monster that we need up front. He should be a solid backup and nothing more.

He is only 29, its not like he forgot how to play in a 3-4 or anything. Its not that easy to just say, oh we need a stud monster type defensive lineman up-front and make it happen. And to be quite frank, Suh is the only defensive lineman that fits that description, not Fairley, not Knighton, and not Willians. 

Look. We all know Langford's best suited for a 3-4. That doesn't mean he's going to come in here and be freaking JJ Watt, or that he's our savior. Or that he will even improve our D-Line. A lot of guys are best suited for another scheme. That doesn't mean they need to e starting for a super bowl contender. The bottom line is this. Langford's a good backup and nothing more. He isn't that run stuffing, all pro monster that we need. If we don't get Knighton our run defense will be horrible again, unless we trade up for Shelton or something.

Look. We all know Langford's best suited for a 3-4. That doesn't mean he's going to come in here and be freaking JJ Watt, or that he's our savior. A lot of guys are best suited for another scheme. That doesn't mean they need to e starting for a super bowl contender. The bottom line is this. Langford's a good backup and nothing more. He isn't that run stuffing, all pro monster that we need. If we don't get Knighton our run defense will be horrible again, unless we trade up for Shelton or something.

Knighton isn't going to be JJ Watt or be our savior, so should we avoid signing him too? If Langford can produce like he has in the past in a 3-4 scheme, then he can absolutely be a starter for us. 

Look. We all know Langford's best suited for a 3-4. That doesn't mean he's going to come in here and be freaking JJ Watt, or that he's our savior. A lot of guys are best suited for another scheme. That doesn't mean they need to e starting for a super bowl contender. The bottom line is this. Langford's a good backup and nothing more. He isn't that run stuffing, all pro monster that we need. If we don't get Knighton our run defense will be horrible again, unless we trade up for Shelton or something.

I am not expecting the Langford move to make us any better or any worse. It is the next move that I believe will make the difference. I believe we have one more move to make to solidify the DL. Whether that is in the draft or in free agency is to be determined. I said this above, but I would really like to see us grab Starks. I believe that could be a solidifying move.

Knighton isn't going to be JJ Watt or be our savior, so should we avoid signing him too? If Langford can produce like he has in the past in a 3-4 scheme, then he can absolutely be a starter for us. 

No, its just some think that just because he's better in a 3-4 he's going to come in and be a star.

I don't know why everyone just assumes we have a RT. Gosder played poorly last year, and given the nature of his injuries he may not ever be the player he used to be. Reitz is okay, but he's too injury prone to rely on IMO and Ulrick John was a 7th round pick who's never played a down in a real game.

We seriously need a running game and to be able to protect Luck. With unproven guys at center, we can't roll in with the RTs that we have imo (unless the coaches truly believe Cherilus will return to pre-injury form).

I would like to see us team him back up with Starks. We could probably get Starks fairly cheap.

^ This. We need an upgrade. Would a world beater be nice? Of Course. Realistically though, we just need to upgrade the D line. T Cole brings a presence to the front 7, the same way that Mathis's return and Newsome's development does as well.

Rotating Chappy and hopefully an even further developed Kerr should render more successful results. Not to mention that our O should do its job staying on the field... I for one am excited and optimistic, while remaining hopeful for some upgrades. Combine it with a solid draft and we will be fine. BTM and go Horseshoe!!!

I don't know why everyone just assumes we have a RT. Gosder played poorly last year, and given the nature of his injuries he may not ever be the player he used to be. Reitz is okay, but he's too injury prone to rely on IMO and Ulrick John was a 7th round pick who's never played a down in a real game.

We seriously need a running game and to be able to protect Luck. With unproven guys at center, we can't roll in with the RTs that we have imo (unless the coaches truly believe Cherilus will return to pre-injury form).

If Cherilus doesn't start, I would imagine we'd probably play Mewhort at RT and Reitz at LG. 

No, its just some think that just because he's better in a 3-4 he's going to come in and be a star.

Haven't seen one person say star. We think he'll come in and play better than RJF and Redding. You're not going bring in a young star without paying top dollar ala Suh.

If Cherilus doesn't start, I would imagine we'd probably play Mewhort at RT and Reitz at LG. 

That is certainly a possibility I guess. I'd hate to break up the continuity between Mewhort and Castonzo, but I think that would probably be a better lineup. Castonzo has worked well with Reitz in the past. 

That is certainly a possibility I guess. I'd hate to break up the continuity between Mewhort and Castonzo, but I think that would probably be a better lineup. Castonzo has worked well with Reitz in the past. 

Reitz is actually decent, especially in run blocking, so I am actually fine with him coming in and being a starter at guard for us if we need him to. 

I would not rule out Mewhort as a possible starting RT. Some may read what you wrote and say it is a silly proposition, but not me.

That said, I would like to see Mewhort get a chance to play the same position for a while, and develop at one spot. If needed, and he is our best option at RT, then it makes sense.

He is only 29, its not like he forgot how to play in a 3-4 or anything. Its not that easy to just say, oh we need a stud monster type defensive lineman up-front and make it happen. And to be quite frank, Suh is the only defensive lineman that fits that description, not Fairley, not Knighton, and not Willians.

^^^ EXACTLY!!!!