Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DL and S, huge needs for Colts

Without question DL and S are the Colts 2 biggest needs right now. I would hope they would sign Terrance Knighton or Vince Wilfork to help at NT. At safety, hopefully there is still a gem out there Grigson can find since the draft isn't great at safety this year.

Most of you already know these 2 areas need drastic improvement. Are there any names out there you could see the Colts going after for these positions? Maybe some names we haven't thought of yet?

Without question DL and S are the Colts 2 biggest needs right now. I would hope they would sign Terrance Knighton or Vince Wilfork to help at NT. At safety, hopefully there is still a gem out there Grigson can find since the draft isn't great at safety this year.

Most of you already know these 2 areas need drastic improvement. Are there any names out there you could see the Colts going after for these positions? Maybe some names we haven't thought of yet?

Sad thing is its two years in a row we needed a safety last year in the draft.

It likely wouldn't have been that way had Boyett worked out as we had hoped for.

But then he went and got himself all stupid drunk and the rest is history.

And history repeated itself as he pulled the same stunt in Denver...     :facepalm:

Somehow, someway the Dline managed to get worse than it was last season. 

haha There's still hope that it can get better on Day 2 of FA but we will see. Without Redding and signing RJF's replacement in Langford, we need another guy. Hopefully Grigson gets the right one.

How is that sad?

You can't draft a player who isn't there. Which of our picks are you turning into a S and who is the player you would have drafted that would help us right now?

We took Mewhort in the 2nd, Moncrief 3rd, and  Newsome 5th. The only one you would consider giving up in hindsight would be the 6th rounder Jackson I would guess. So who is it??? 

Sad thing is that post. We did pretty well in the draft considering our situation last year.

How is that sad?

You can't draft a player who isn't there. Which of our picks are you turning into a S and who is the player you would have drafted that would help us right now?

We took Mewhort in the 2nd, Moncrief 3rd, and  Newsome 5th. The only one you would consider giving up in hindsight would be the 6th rounder Jackson I would guess. So who is it??? 

Sad thing is that post. We did pretty well in the draft considering our situation last year.

you totally misread that dudes comment...  I don't think he is saying we should have drafted any different.  i think he was more saying it sucks that when we need a S the draft classes have not had an Earl Thomas

you totally misread that dudes comment...  I don't think he is saying we should have drafted any different.  i think he was more saying it sucks that when we need a S the draft classes have not had an Earl Thomas

not how I read it certainly not how he wrote it but if that is the case I apologize.

Current problems with the roster:

1. RT - Is Cherilus going to return to pre-injury form? Can we rely on Reitz and John? I'm guessing no and no. We desperately need a running game and good protection for Luck (look what he did to Cincy when the O-line gave him time).

2. S - Is either McDonald or Guy really ready to start? My guess is again, no. But if we had a good enough front 7 maybe we could afford to be less experienced in the secondary.

3. DL - We're probably 1 impact player away from being really formidable on the D-line. As it stands, we're not. 

4. ILB - No depth behind the mediocre tandem Jackson and Freeman.

On the plus side, assuming Andre Johnson signs I'm satisfied with the skill positions on offense. Andrew Luck is a fantastic QB, think of all of the teams that would kill to have him. We've got a good left tackle, which is another key component to championship football. I think we've upgraded our pass rush nicely and we've good at corner, as long as the front 7 can pressure we're fine there. 

Current problems with the roster:

1. RT - Is Cherilus going to return to pre-injury form? Can we rely on Reitz and John? I'm guessing no and no. We desperately need a running game and good protection for Luck (look what he did to Cincy when the O-line gave him time).

2. S - Is either McDonald or Guy really ready to start? My guess is again, no. But if we had a good enough front 7 maybe we could afford to be less experienced in the secondary.

3. DL - We're probably 1 impact player away from being really formidable on the D-line. As it stands, we're not. 

4. ILB - No depth behind the mediocre tandem Jackson and Freeman.

On the plus side, assuming Andre Johnson signs I'm satisfied with the skill positions on offense. Andrew Luck is a fantastic QB, think of all of the teams that would kill to have him. We've got a good left tackle, which is another key component to championship football. I think we've upgraded our pass rush nicely and we've good at corner, as long as the front 7 can pressure we're fine there. 

1. Agree - but don't know since there has been no news about Cherilus' health/knee, and I don't see anyone out there in FA that I feel is a must have guy, or big upgrade.

2. Wanted Searcy ... but other than him all the other Safeties are still in play.

3. Agree ... but again most still in play

4. Agree ... but who is out there?  The ILB FA class is as bad or worse than the ILB draft class.

1. Agree - but don't know since there has been no news about Cherilus' health/knee, and I don't see anyone out there in FA that I feel is a must have guy, or big upgrade.

2. Wanted Searcy ... but other than him all the other Safeties are still in play.

3. Agree ... but again most still in play

4. Agree ... but who is out there?  The ILB FA class is as bad or worse than the ILB draft class.

Yeah I pretty much agree with all that. I think with the tackle situation, we're best sorting that in round 1 or 2 of the draft. And if we can get 2 of those 3 defense needs in FA, I'd feel pretty good about things going into the draft. 

ILB is a major need as well. We won't get passed New England or Seattle if we don't have an ILB who can hang with the TE.

I think we need an ILB who can cover as well and have been wanting one since last offseason ... but, who is that guy though; he is not out there in FA and will he be there and the best value at one of our picks in the draft (because there are only a 1 or 2 solid options)?

How is that sad?

I was only referring to the fact that for the second straight year we have a hole at safety you don't have to get all upset. I was not saying anything negative about last years draft just pointing out that its still a hole we have yet to address. Don't have to call my post sad trying to get personal because you don't like my observation.

This would be a good draft to take an OT in the first or second so we can drop Gosder next off season and save cap space in the next couple of years. If Gosder works out this year at least we would have some depth on the line.

As far as S i think take a chance on Kendrick Lewis

I was only referring to the fact that for the second straight year we have a hole at safety you don't have to get all upset. I was not saying anything negative about last years draft just pointing out that its still a hole we have yet to address. Don't have to call my post sad trying to get personal because you don't like my observation.

Only one who seems upset is you