Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If The Chiefs Franchise Tag Houston (non-exclusive)

Unless I'm mistaken.....under the provisions of the non-exclusive Franchise Tag, other teams can submit offers to the tagged player.

So, if the Chiefs were to go that route with 26yr-old OLB Justin Houston....would you be opposed to the Colts surrendering two 1st round draft picks to acquire him?

And for our cap gurus....how badly would the premium FA contract Houston commands blow up the salary cap if we did?

I have no issues whatsoever with the two 1st rounders for Houston.....I'm more concerned with the cap implications and how it can be structured if the opportunity to pursue him arises.

IDK about two 1st rounders. One, yeah definitely but two? Normally this is a definite no, but it would be a tough decision since Houston is such a beast.

You get arguablly the best edge rusher in the league in his prime at the expense of two unknowns. I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

You get arguablly the best edge rusher in the league in his prime at the expense of two unknowns. I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

If you believe as I do that the Colts will be drafting at the bottom of the first round next year as well,  then yeah I have no problem giving up two first rounders.

He was the best by a wide margin in 2014 by my estimations. He is a great run defender on the edge too. I feel like one of the problems with our run D was our linebackers over persuing and getting cut back on. Houston should be the envy of the 31 other teams.

Look at it like this- anytime you trade a future first to move up in the first and select a player you're using two firsts on them. If the Bills use two firsts on Sammy Watkins, two for Houston sounds like a steal.

Look at it like this- anytime you trade a future first to move up in the first and select a player you're using two firsts on them. If the Bills use two firsts on Sammy Watkins, two for Houston sounds like a steal.

If you think he looks like a steal compared to Watkins then look at RGIII!

Yes, but also no. They did use 2 firsts on Watkins yes, but a completely different situation (obviously because draft-FA) but the major difference to me would be that Watkins is still on a rookie deal while Houston would most likely be making 14M+. 

Question is, would the Chiefs match or take what would likely amount to 2 very late firsts.

That's the $64M question.

Putting my wishful thinking to work....our 1st rounder plus KC's own 1st rounder at #18 would allow them to trade into the Top 7-10 and have a clean shot at this year's top pass rushers....none of whom we'll even get a whiff of at #29.

I honestly think it could be a win-win scenario.

That's the $64M question.

Putting my wishful thinking to work....our 1st rounder plus KC's own 1st rounder at #18 would allow them to trade into the Top 7-10 and have a clean shot at this year's top pass rushers....none of whom we'll even get a whiff of at #29.

I honestly think it could be a win-win scenario.

If we do this we really commit to the win now philosophy by which we supposedly abide.

I personally don't think I'd give the 2 first for Houston. I'd much rather build through the draft and sign mid-tear role players in free agency. Heck, I'd rather have Suh and 2 firsts than Houston.

I see your point about Suh....and upgrading our run defense. And we certainly couldn't have both he AND Houston. If things shake out to where we wind up with Suh, I won't be disappointed.

But that aside....I wouldn't mind having the best pass rush OLB in Houston, with Vontae Davis at CB heading up our pass defense either. Because we'll have no shot at a pass rusher projected anywhere near Houston's proven talent where we normally draft.

Building thru the draft is ideal, I agree, but getting 3-4 premier playmakers on both sides of the line will require SOME risk in the free agency game. And with that late draft position we usually wind up with....for me, it makes the signing of Houston palatable if KC decides to leave the door open. 

I see your point about Suh....and upgrading our run defense. And we certainly couldn't have both he AND Houston. If things shake out to where we wind up with Suh, I won't be disappointed.

But that aside....I wouldn't mind having the best pass rush OLB in Houston, with Vontae Davis at CB heading up our pass defense either. Because we'll have no shot at a pass rusher projected anywhere near Houston's proven talent where we normally draft.

Building thru the draft is ideal, I agree, but getting 3-4 premier playmakers on both sides of the line will require SOME risk in the free agency game. And with that late draft position we usually wind up with....for me, it makes the signing of Houston palatable if KC decides to leave the door open. 

I'm just saying best case scenario for me would be develope people like Armstead, and another type player like that in the first next year, then take the "Houston Money" (13-16 Million) And sign 3-4 role player and boom you have 5-6 impact players as aposed to 1 star. 

I'm just saying best case scenario for me would be develope people like Armstead, and another type player like that in the first next year, then take the "Houston Money" (13-16 Million) And sign 3-4 role player and boom you have 5-6 impact players as aposed to 1 star.

Grigson tried that route already. Walden, Cherlilus, Toler, RJF, Landry. I wouldn't really say they turned out to be impact players...Toler is OK.

Grigson tried that route already. Walden, Cherlilus, Toler, RJF, Landry. I wouldn't really say they turned out to be impact players...Toler is OK.

Well....it's tough putting the puzzle together and keeping the salary cap straight. Fortunately Grigson didn't wreck the cap with those guys.

I figure if we build a nucleus around Houston (or Suh), Vontae, Art Jones and our ILB/Safety upgrades...whoever they are....we should have a solid young defense as we move into Luck's prime.

I'm just happy we have a GM willing to use any and all means to build the roster. He'll need to hit on some real sleepers no matter what he does....that's clearly where championship teams separate themselves from the rest.

Walden (4), Cherilus (7), Toler (5), RJF (5.5), Landry (6) Was 1 years free agents, and I will admit yes, this was a bust. But compare those contracts to what some players this off-season could get.

Acho (4), Bulaga (7), Culliver (5), Williams (5.5), Searcy (6) could easily be the replaced role players for this years FA pool. I'd much rather have all of those players then Houston. 

So to go off you example to go that route you can't assume Grigs will loose just because he did in the past.

Walden (4), Cherilus (7), Toler (5), RJF (5.5), Landry (6) Was 1 years free agents, and I will admit yes, this was a bust. But compare those contracts to what some players this off-season could get.

Acho (4), Bulaga (7), Culliver (5), Williams (5.5), Searcy (6) could easily be the replaced role players for this years FA pool. I'd much rather have all of those players then Houston.

So to go off you example to go that route you can't assume Grigs will loose just because he did in the past.

No one's saying that. But instead of trying the same process again of signing players with potential, why not switch it up and get guaranteed playmakers. His job is on the line if he fails miserably like that again and he knows it, so I expect him to take a much bigger gamble in FA this year.

It's hard to believe that Houston was a 3rd round (70) pick in 2011. I'd rather keep our picks and hope to mine the next Houston, Newsome or Mathis in the future. It only goes to show that great players can be had in the mid- to-late portions of the draft.

I agree with an earlier post. If we're spending $15 million per, I'd rather keep the two 1sts and sign Suh.