Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian Did Not Want To Hire Tony Dungy In 2002, Might Want Norv Turner In 2012

bayone

Phil Wilson of the Indianapolis Star spoke about the hiring of Dungy yesterday on an Indianapolis radio show:

Dungy wasn't Polian's guy. I know that for a fact, that Dungy was not who Bill wanted. Jimmy [irsay] basically got Bill on a plane. He went down to Tampa. They got Tony and Bill in a room and said, You work it out. Jimmy just made it clear: He's my coach.

It's always been speculated that Polian wanted to hire Nick Saban as the Colts head man after Mora was canned

Phil Wilson points out, the problem with keeping the Polians around is, quite simply, many coaches don't want to work for them.

Wilson explains to radio personality Dan Dakich on his show yesterday:

It's complicated, as you probably have already surmised, when you've talked about with me or your listeners. If Bill is still in place, there's certain coaches he'll want to keep. And, a head coach who comes in is going to want some control. He's going to want to do things his own way, a little bit. Well, that's not the Colts.

Those assistants Wilson is referring to are likely offensive line coach Pete Metzelaars, wide receiver coach Frank Reich, interim-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Mike Murphy, and quarterbacks coach Ron Turner. Polian drafted Metzelaars and Reich as players while he was G.M. in Buffalo. Polian is close with Norv Turner, who is Ron Turner's brother. Murphy is the coach Polian supposedly told Caldwell to replace Larry Coyer with. Coyer was fired two weeks ago.

Turner has worked for general manager A.J. Smith in San Diego for five seasons. Smith worked under Polian in Buffalo for many years. Both he and Turner are likely on the outs in San Diego after this season, and since Turner is close with Polian, he might be a candidate in Indianapolis.

Phil Wilson:

I don't know if Jimmy has someone in mind [as a new coach], or if he'll go outside the box, or whether he'll actually let Bill hire the coach this time. I'm kind of curious about that. You know, somebody who is close to Bill is Norv Turner, and Norv could be on the way out [in San Diego]. So, I wonder about him.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/12/16/2640456/bill-polian-did-not-...

If we hire Turkey Neck as our head coach I will lose all faith in this front office.

I would not mind him as our offensive coordinator, but as a head coach I hope we stay far far away.

Nick Saban is a quitter and ran from the NFL because he could not recruit all the amazing talent he wanted and play Division III schools to make his team look better.

Nick Saban + Peyton Manning would have equaled more than 1 SB title in my opinion. Say no to Norvel.

What? Nick is well not someone I would ever want to see in Colt Blue...He lies to his players, he has no dedication to his employer and will when the next better offer is avaiable

What? Nick is well not someone I would ever want to see in Colt Blue...He lies to his players, he has no dedication to his employer and will when the next better offer is avaiable

Miami wasn't the best situation in the world and you can't blame for jumping ship to Alabama. It will take a unique set of circumstances to get him away from Alabama. . He lied to the media to make the final weeks with Miami as smooth as possible. What dedication is it to your players when you are 14-0 and you take them out of the game?

Norv Turner would be an upgrade to Caldwell, but not enough of an upgrade to warrant his hiring. This team needs someone that can make a difference. That can make an in-game adjustment on a dry-erase board. Someone that can actually bring some form of improvement to the team whether that is offensively or defensively. Norv Turner has failed everywhere he's been a head coach. He's been a good OC, but I still don't want him because that could put him in line to being a future head coach of the IC. No thanks.

Moving on from a winless season to a Head Coach who can't take a very talented AFC west team to the playoffs for two consecutive seasons (are they mathmatically elimanated yet???) doesn't sound like a big improvement to me...

It's not.

Hiring Norv Turner is effectively announcing that you've decided to throw the next 3-4 years of your franchise away.

I'd rather bring Mora back than Turner.

Miami wasn't the best situation in the world and you can't blame for jumping ship to Alabama. It will take a unique set of circumstances to get him away from Alabama. . He lied to the media to make the final weeks with Miami as smooth as possible. What dedication is it to your players when you are 14-0 and you take them out of the game?

He walked away from LSU with full knowledge of what was going on in Miami, then bolted from there when he got what he thought was a better offer. Sorry but I have zero respect for a man like that...

Apparently Bill hates the Colts fanbase and wants us to suffer for calling him out for tanking in 2009.

Thats the only reason hiring Norv Turner makes any sense.

Pure speculation, based on the idea that Ron Turner is a Polian guy, and Norv is Ron's brother. Not really anything substantive, I don't think.

This does confirm -- again -- what we've been saying, which is that Polian hasn't made the head coach decision since Jim Mora in 1998. Irsay demanded his guy when Dungy was available, and Dungy appointed Caldwell. We really don't have any idea what Polian would do if given autonomy over the coaching hires at this point.

Pure speculation, based on the idea that Ron Turner is a Polian guy, and Norv is Ron's brother. Not really anything substantive, I don't think.

This does confirm -- again -- what we've been saying, which is that Polian hasn't made the head coach decision since Jim Mora in 1998. Irsay demanded his guy when Dungy was available, and Dungy appointed Caldwell. We really don't have any idea what Polian would do if given autonomy over the coaching hires at this point.

Yeah I know. Still though, the mere mention of hiring Turner sent shivers down my spine.

I know when Norv was an OC here with the niners in 06, Frank Gore had a monster year. The running game was lethal and they actually resembled some form of an offense. I'd like to see him as an OC.

He's always been a good coordinator, at least at first, which is why he keeps getting head coaching jobs. Same for Wade Phillips.

Based on what he would've coached here vs. what he coached in Miami. Winning record with Gus Ferotten. To games under .500 with Joey Harrington and a broken Daunte Culpepper. Huge difference here.

He would have had a much better situation here from a talent standpoint but the guy just does not seem suited with the temperment to be a head coach of NFL players. IMO, he would have flamed out as a NFL coach anywhere he went. He is better suited to deal with kids than with men.

He would have had a much better situation here from a talent standpoint but the guy just does not seem suited with the temperment to be a head coach of NFL players. IMO, he would have flamed out as a NFL coach anywhere he went. He is better suited to deal with kids than with men.

I can see his temperament as off-putting to NCAA players as much as NFL players. Some are going to be rubbed wrong by it and some are going to accept they have a job to do whether they are getting paid or not. I doubt his temperament is as bad as Tom Coughlin and he's had success.

I can see his temperament as off-putting to NCAA players as much as NFL players. Some are going to be rubbed wrong by it and some are going to accept they have a job to do whether they are getting paid or not. I doubt his temperament is as bad as Tom Coughlin and he's had success.

Understand the point but Coughlin had to make some major changes to keep his team playing hard for him. Saban may have had to make the same allowances but he bolted.

It is likey a moot point anyway because I can't see Saban leaving Alabama for any job.

Understand the point but Coughlin had to make some major changes to keep his team playing hard for him. Saban may have had to make the same allowances but he bolted.

It is likey a moot point anyway because I can't see Saban leaving Alabama for any job.

Yeah he's made some major changes, but even then he's not a player favorite to some.

I agree, I don't see him leaving, nor should he for that matter. The NFL bug might bite him again and you never know.

Phil Wilson of the Indianapolis Star spoke about the hiring of Dungy yesterday on an Indianapolis radio show:

Dungy wasn't Polian's guy. I know that for a fact, that Dungy was not who Bill wanted. Jimmy [irsay] basically got Bill on a plane. He went down to Tampa. They got Tony and Bill in a room and said, You work it out. Jimmy just made it clear: He's my coach.

It's always been speculated that Polian wanted to hire Nick Saban as the Colts head man

after Mora was canned

Phil Wilson points out, the problem with keeping the Polians around is, quite simply, many coaches don't want to work for them.

Wilson explains to radio personality Dan Dakich on his show yesterday:

It's complicated, as you probably have already surmised, when you've talked about with me or your listeners. If Bill is still in place, there's certain coaches he'll want to keep. And, a head coach who comes in is going to want some control. He's going to want to do things his own way, a little bit. Well, that's not the Colts.

Those assistants Wilson is referring to are likely offensive line coach Pete Metzelaars, wide receiver coach Frank Reich, interim-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Mike Murphy, and quarterbacks coach Ron Turner. Polian drafted Metzelaars and Reich as players while he was G.M. in Buffalo. Polian is close with Norv Turner, who is Ron Turner's brother. Murphy is the coach Polian supposedly told Caldwell to replace Larry Coyer with. Coyer was fired two weeks ago.

Turner has worked for general manager A.J. Smith in San Diego for five seasons. Smith worked under Polian in Buffalo for many years. Both he and Turner are likely on the outs in San Diego after this season, and since Turner is close with Polian, he might be a candidate in Indianapolis.

Phil Wilson:

I don't know if Jimmy has someone in mind [as a new coach], or if he'll go outside the box, or whether he'll actually let Bill hire the coach this time. I'm kind of curious about that. You know, somebody who is close to Bill is Norv Turner, and Norv could be on the way out [in San Diego]. So, I wonder about him.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/12/16/2640456/bill-polian-did-not-...

So much for the idea that Polian only wants weak Head Coaches that he can be the puppet master of.