Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian Did Not Want To Hire Tony Dungy In 2002, Might Want Norv Turner In 2012

bayone

This is all very disconcerting if Polian has that much control over coach's ability to form the coaching staff. Hopefully Irsay trumps Polian on the head coaching decision as he did when Dungy was hired. I do not want Norv Turner anywhere near the Colts. He was horrible with the Redskins and the Chargers are an inconsistent, under achieving mess. If that is the alternative being considered, then we should just keep Caldwell.

Pure speculation, based on the idea that Ron Turner is a Polian guy, and Norv is Ron's brother. Not really anything substantive, I don't think.

This does confirm -- again -- what we've been saying, which is that Polian hasn't made the head coach decision since Jim Mora in 1998. Irsay demanded his guy when Dungy was available, and Dungy appointed Caldwell. We really don't have any idea what Polian would do if given autonomy over the coaching hires at this point.

Yep.......

so..again i live in mexico so that means 0 news on football personalities...why is norv turner so hated? I tought he was a pretty good OC? i get his san diego teams have underachive but it seems like more of his personallity as the reason people dont want him here.

personally im all for for zimmer as HC, maybe spagunolo as DC or jack del rio as DC...but I didnt think it was that bad of an idea bringing norv turner, from a football standpoint not personality wise.

So as an experiment, I took the liberty of circulating this rumor amongst the other people in my office who are also Colts fans.

Not only did every single one of them immediately scream NOOOO!!!!!

But right before they did, they all made a face (and it was the same face for everyone) that a person makes when they unexpectedly have a soiled diaper shoved under their nose.

I am willing to bet, that each one of YOU made that same face when you saw this thread. I know I did.

Oh boy, please, I beg of you Bill, no Norv. Get a defensive minded coach.

Dungy is a defensive-minded coach, and we were never really a standout defensive team, while we often had the best offense in the league. Brian Billick is an offensive-minded coach, and the Ravens always struggled offensively, but were great defensively. The mentality of the head coach is largely irrelevant. Your team takes on the tenor of the players you fill it with.

I thought about that, but I just plan on not reporting to training camp until he's fired in year 3.

On the plus side for the Polian haters if we do hire Turner it's only a matter of time till Polian gets fired because even if the Polians nail draft after draft he's going to waste the talent. Dang this means I am going to pull for the Chargers to make the playoffs this year so Turner keeps his job!

Dungy is a defensive-minded coach, and we were never really a standout defensive team, while we often had the best offense in the league. Brian Billick is an offensive-minded coach, and the Ravens always struggled offensively, but were great defensively. The mentality of the head coach is largely irrelevant. Your team takes on the tenor of the players you fill it with.

Well there are obviously those rare situations like with Billick, but Dungy helped out our defense. Here are some nice stats:

*REMEMBER THERE WERE 31 TEAMS*

2000 under Mora:

Total Defense: 29th

Passing Defense: 27th

Rushing Defense: 25th

2001 under Mora:

Total Defense 21th

Passing Defense 18th

Rushing Defense 25th

2002 under Dungy:

TD 8th

PD 2nd

RD 20th

2003 under Dungy:

TD 11th

PD 5th

RD 20th

So the COlts didn't have a terrible defense, but as the years went on it slowly declined, but the point is he did help the D.

I don't see how you get that impression. That's exactly what Norv Turner is, and that's the reason he got hired in San Diego.

Simple, the article doesn't say Polian is planning to hire Turner, it just conects some dots and then takes a giant leap conecting Norv to the Colts Head Coach job.

On the other hand, and this is what I was alluding to, Nick Saban is no mans puppet. He would have been a high profile coach, again something poeple claim Polian doesn't have the guts to put up with, who could have told the Colts to take hike (pardon the pun) and go right back to a college, as he did with Miami.

Just to go on record, i think Dungy was the better choice (although there is no way of knowing for sure) and I will be the first person to jump off the Polian band wagon if he hires Turner as HC. I can just see my Redskins and Chargers friends lahghing at me now.