• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardy

Ngata

Knighton

Pollard

Boldin

Franklin

You think Boldin will be cut? I'd love to have him but I don't see him getting released. I'd only sign one of Knighton or Ngata. Orlando Franklin would be a really nice pick up too. I like Pollard, but I'd want us to draft a FS who can cover to pair with him.

You think Boldin will be cut? I'd love to have him but I don't see him getting released. I'd only sign one of Knighton or Ngata. Orlando Franklin would be a really nice pick up too. I like Pollard, but I'd want us to draft a FS who can cover to pair with him.

No I don't think boldin gets cut but I would love to somehow get him to pair with Hilton and Moncrief...Hilton with the speed...moncrief with the size and speed and boldin with the power,size, and strong hands would be a perfect WR combo...also he would bring some attitude to our offense that we lack against more physical defenses....and I would love to draft Tartt to share playing time with Pollard along side with Adams...And I think if we cut RJF along with Landry I thought we would have enough cap space to sign both Knighton and Ngata...Cuz our dline needs all the help it can get

I'm going to do another one.

Offense:

Mike Iupati

Stefen Wisnieski

Defense:

Haloti Ngata (If he's released)

Patrick Willis (Trade 2nd)

Brian Orakpo

Louis Delmas

Draft Dorial Green Beckham and Cody Prewitt. We'd have to trade back into 2nd probably.

Just think about our defense with Willis and Ngata. And then Mathis and Orakpo terrorizing QB's.

you're still missing the point though.  Jacksonville offered him the contract and Cleveland matched it without batting an eye.  I wouldn't be surprised if Grigson would have been fine with paying $8mil per year for Mack.  However, there is no way we could have gotten Mack for that price.  Grigson would have had to have offered a contract that Cleveland was unwilling to match, and at the time they had I believe the 2nd most cap space available.  So in order to get Mack, Grigson would likely have had to pay him a min. of $12 mil per year if not even more than that. You're talking about paying a C the same type of money that LT's get, and then Grigson still has to extend our own LT who in 2015 will be playing under the option year of his rookie contract. 

So it wasn't about Grigson being unwilling to pay Mack, it was about Grigson not willing to massively overpay Mack. 

edit*** Walden hasn't been a disappointment.  That's just crazy.  Cherilus would have been a much better ROI if it weren't for the injuries.  Werner still has plenty of room to improve.

You can structure contracts with incentives that make the value of the contract go up though.   I think we could've gotten Mack for 11 with a large portion of it being incentive based, and a decent guaranteed/siging bonus. 

Walden isn't that good, and Werner isn't either, don't try to sugar coat it.  Call me spoiled but im used to having a 10+ sack guy.  Mathis was out SOMEBODY needs to step up.  Werner, 1st round pick???  Walden, gets a decent salary???  To top the cake Walden has character issues... 

Okay lets play the what if game for Cherilus' sake.  Sure he was decent before last year, but this season was very bad.  I believe he struggled with injury before Indy, correct?  I'm sure we knew what we were getting.  Can't use that as an excuse!

You haven't even mentioned the fact that center is historically the least physically demanding position on the line, a position for which you don't need a gifted physical specimen. Paying $8m/year for a center is really kind of crazy.

I understand it's a bit absurd, but so is expecting Joe Schmo (Khaled Holmes) on an already weak OL, to have success.  Yes, it was a knock on Holmes, I do think he may be good in the future 2 more seasons, but as of now and the last two season, nuh huh.  Let's just take it baby steps at a time...  We were in the AFCCG, with a better defense and OL, yes I do believe we could've won the SB.  But thats why I'm crazy...

Shorts can be very good IMO.

He's average because he plays on the Jaguars with no QB or offensive line.

Put him with Luck and he will be twice as good.

Any WR with Luck will be better.  That's part of my arguement why we don't need to reach for a WR in the draft or spend good money on one in FA, while we have great young talent in the top 3 @WR already!

You can structure contracts with incentives that make the value of the contract go up though.   I think we could've gotten Mack for 11 with a large portion of it being incentive based, and a decent guaranteed/siging bonus. 

$11mil per year for a C?  Yeah that's ridiculous.  And there's still the good chance that Cleveland matches that offer.

Walden isn't that good, and Werner isn't either, don't try to sugar coat it.  Call me spoiled but im used to having a 10+ sack guy.  Mathis was out SOMEBODY needs to step up.  Werner, 1st round pick???  Walden, gets a decent salary???  To top the cake Walden has character issues... 

You're spoiled.  On top of that you don't seem to understand how our defense works.  Walden was not brought here to be a 10+ sack per year player.  So if that's why you think Walden isn't good then you don't know what you're talking about.  Werner is still improving and reportedly was dealing with multiple injuries that slowed him down towards the end of the year.  Still, he's only played 2 full years so still plenty of room to improve. 

Okay lets play the what if game for Cherilus' sake.  Sure he was decent before last year, but this season was very bad.  I believe he struggled with injury before Indy, correct?  I'm sure we knew what we were getting.  Can't use that as an excuse!

If you don't know if Cherilus struggled with injury prior to signing here, then how do you know we knew what we were getting?  For the record, he has missed 8 games in a 7 year career....1 game in 2009, 4 games in 2010 and 3 games in 2014.  Not sure I'd call that "struggled with injury".

$11mil per year for a C?  Yeah that's ridiculous.  And there's still the good chance that Cleveland matches that offer.

You're spoiled.  On top of that you don't seem to understand how our defense works.  Walden was not brought here to be a 10+ sack per year player.  So if that's why you think Walden isn't good then you don't know what you're talking about.  Werner is still improving and reportedly was dealing with multiple injuries that slowed him down towards the end of the year.  Still, he's only played 2 full years so still plenty of room to improve. 

If you don't know if Cherilus struggled with injury prior to signing here, then how do you know we knew what we were getting?  For the record, he has missed 8 games in a 7 year career....1 game in 2009, 4 games in 2010 and 3 games in 2014.  Not sure I'd call that "struggled with injury".

Okay, you're just to smart for me, Ill just quit arguing lol

I understand it's a bit absurd, but so is expecting Joe Schmo (Khaled Holmes) on an already weak OL, to have success.  Yes, it was a knock on Holmes, I do think he may be good in the future 2 more seasons, but as of now and the last two season, nuh huh.  Let's just take it baby steps at a time...  We were in the AFCCG, with a better defense and OL, yes I do believe we could've won the SB.  But thats why I'm crazy...

We had some big issues exploited by the Pats. I don't think their roster is that much better than ours, overall, but they have three or four playmakers that we don't have, and a better coaching staff.

Either way, I don't think dropping $8m+ on a center would have made us a better matchup against the Pats.

We had some big issues exploited by the Pats. I don't think their roster is that much better than ours, overall, but they have three or four playmakers that we don't have, and a better coaching staff.

Either way, I don't think dropping $8m+ on a center would have made us a better matchup against the Pats.

We abandoned the run and our receivers were out-matched by their secondary. We were one dimensional and turned the ball over. A center wouldn't have helped our poor tackling issues either.

Build the trenches. Add a few pieces here and there and I believe we beat New England next year. Just my two cents though.

It would've added another piece to the puzzle.  Who knows, with a dominant Center to improve our run  game greatly, we could've stated out 2-0 and perhaps our season would've been totally different.  Maybe were the #1 seed and playing NE at home in the playoffs.  Granted we got our butts whooped by them in the regular season also, but you never know!

It probably wouldnt've made that big of difference, but like I said you never know... 

Not to mention we would have never gotten Mack for $8 mil per year.  His current contract averages higher than that and Cleveland didn't seem to blink before matching the offer.

It would've added another piece to the puzzle.  Who knows, with a dominant Center to improve our run  game greatly, we could've stated out 2-0 and perhaps our season would've been totally different.  Maybe were the #1 seed and playing NE at home in the playoffs.  Granted we got our butts whooped by them in the regular season also, but you never know!

It probably wouldnt've made that big of difference, but like I said you never know... 

It could have made a big difference on the field, like you said we'll never know.  But we DO know it would have made a huge difference in the salary cap.  We'd essentially be paying for 2 LT's.

Not to mention we would have never gotten Mack for $8 mil per year.  His current contract averages higher than that and Cleveland didn't seem to blink before matching the offer.

It could have made a big difference on the field, like you said we'll never know.  But we DO know it would have made a huge difference in the salary cap.  We'd essentially be paying for 2 LT's.

I think it's safe to say there are many people on the Colts roster that are being overpaid.  Landry just got cut for sucking with a high salary.  Cherilus next?  Perhaps overpaying a good player wouldn't be so bad.  At least we would've got production.

I think it's safe to say there are many people on the Colts roster that are being overpaid. Landry just got cut for sucking with a high salary. Cherilus next? Perhaps overpaying a good player wouldn't be so bad. At least we would've got production.

Mack wouldn't have been overpaid to the extent of landri, and again cherilus' contract was not extreme. He was the highest rated RT in FA at the time.

Only way we would have gotten mack is by massively overpaying him. overpaying to the point that grigson would have been the laughing stock of the league

Mack wouldn't have been overpaid to the extent of landri, and again cherilus' contract was not extreme. He was the highest rated RT in FA at the time.

Only way we would have gotten mack is by massively overpaying him. overpaying to the point that grigson would have been the laughing stock of the league

Well.....

He may have been the highest rated RT in free agency,  but we went ahead and made him the highest paid RT in all of football -- period.

We certainly paid full price for Gosder.

He has one more year (tops) to make or break his stay with the colts.    His contract calls for nearly $10 Mill per year in years 4 and 5,  and that's just not happening.

He either gets cut soon with a post-June 1 designation, or he gets cut after next year,  or he has to re-do his deal after next year.

Right...  This conversation is done!

Well.....

He may have been the highest rated RT in free agency,  but we went ahead and made him the highest paid RT in all of football -- period.

We certainly paid full price for Gosder.

He has one more year (tops) to make or break his stay with the colts.    His contract calls for nearly $10 Mill per year in years 4 and 5,  and that's just not happening.

He either gets cut soon with a post-June 1 designation, or he gets cut after next year,  or he has to re-do his deal after next year.

I'm not saying Cherilus didn't get overpaid...though pretty much every FA signed ever is overpaid to some extent.  The discussion is about the degree to which he was over paid.

So, imagine the scenario that Grigson had offered Alex Mack a contract that Cleveland actually declined to match, allowing Mack to become a Colt.  At that point, imagining what the value of the supposed Mack contract would have been, do you really think that Cherilus would have been considered as overpaid as Mack would have been?  Especially had Cherilus been able to stay healthy, and no Cherilus had not been frequently injured prior to signing with the Colts so it's not like there were major red flags about his durability.