Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Danny Shelton Fall?

Man Danny Shelton's going to be a beast. I hope we get him at 29 but  I think he ends up as a top 15-20 pick. Two years ago I was thinking we could get Richardson at 24 then he went top 10, so don't expect him to be there. We'd most likely have to trade up. It'd probably be a better option to sign a NT anyways.

He could be the Shariff Floyd of this draft. There are a lot of talented DT's that could go before him. Arik Armstead, Malcolm Brown, Michael Bennett, Jordan Phillips, Eddie Goldman, and maybe Carl Davis. There's a chance he could fall. He's not Aaron Donald coming out last year.

He could be the Shariff Floyd of this draft. There are a lot of talented DT's that could go before him. Arik Armstead, Malcolm Brown, Michael Bennett, Jordan Phillips, Eddie Goldman, and maybe Carl Davis. There's a chance he could fall. He's not Aaron Donald coming out last year.

I usually agree with you on most draft things, this time I can't. I see Danny Shelton as the best defensive player in this entire draft. I'm going to say he goes top 5 when the draft rolls around. He's like Vince Wilfork where he just plugs up the holes. 

Shelton is NOT falling.

Of all the DT's in the draft,  he's the highest rated as of today.

That could change,  but he's a top-10 guy.

And if something does change,  the chances that he falls out of the top-10 all the way to 29 are right around zero.

Sorry,  but this dream is not happening.

Shelton is NOT falling.

Of all the DT's in the draft, he's the highest rated as of today.

That could change, but he's a top-10 guy.

And if something does change, the chances that he falls out of the top-10 all the way to 29 are right around zero.

Sorry, but this dream is not happening.

No offense but you just described Sharrif. A similar story is Aaron Rodgers. And my thinking is everyone will be trying to get their hands on all the LBs and WRs In the first that the DTs COULD drop a bit. I understand it's a long shot. But it's happened before...

No offense but you just described Sharrif. A similar story is Aaron Rodgers. And my thinking is everyone will be trying to get their hands on all the LBs and WRs In the first that the DTs COULD drop a bit. I understand it's a long shot. But it's happened before...

Two things...

I don't think anyone believes that Shelton and Sharrif are the same.

And I believe Shelton is viewed as the #1 DT in this class.    No one thought that of Sharrif.

Think he goes before the guy from FSU? How many NTs do you think go in the 1st?

One of the things that adds to Shelton's value,  is that he's not just a NT.

He can play DT in a 4-3.  

He's got scheme versatility....

I believe he's the highest rated DT in this class.     He'd have to get hurt badly before the draft to fall to 29.

If he does fall and no one is there to see it, does he make a sound?

I think a lot of good if not elite defensive prospects will drop this year which is good news for us, I still say trade down unless there's an amazing player at 29.

I sure hope your right we need D players to drop!!

If he does fall and no one is there to see it, does he make a sound?

I think a lot of good if not elite defensive prospects will drop this year which is good news for us, I still say trade down unless there's an amazing player at 29.

Love your first line!    Classic!!       :thmup:

As to your second line,  I have no idea why you'd think this?    There simply aren't many elite level defensive prospects in this draft.     In fact,  there aren't many elite prospects no matter which side of the ball they're on.    I don't think this is a great draft at all.    Not from what I'm reading.

I'm not adverse to trading down,  but not too far.     It all depends on who's available when we pick....

Two things...

And I believe Shelton is viewed as the #1 DT in this class. No one thought that of Sharrif.

Everywhere I have read has him as as the 3rd or 4th DT with Goldman and Williams consistently being projected higher. And I never said Shelton and Floyd were the same. Just that quality players drop in drafts.

Think he goes before the guy from FSU? How many NTs do you think go in the 1st?

I think Eddie Goldman from Florida State is the DT/NT that can be in our range at 29, I like him, Just not sure if he will be BPA at that spot, I see those three going in the 1st and possibly Arik Armstead from Arik Armstead from Oregon going in the first do to his perceived upside...Maybe Jordan Phillips do to his size at NT and mobility for such a big guy, Just not sure he has the pass rush potential to warrant a 1st round pick, I like him though

Everywhere I have read has him as as the 3rd or 4th DT with Goldman and Williams consistently being projected higher. And I never said Shelton and Floyd were the same. Just that quality players drop in drafts.

Quality players have fallen in every draft since the dawn of time.    In all sports,  but certainly in football.   Hey,  that's how we got Moncrief last year.

The reason I don't think Shelton falls that far is that he's so highly rated and flexible enough to fit into any scheme.   Every team will love him.

Hey,  I'd love for Shelton to fall to us.   It would make my draft!    I just think the odds are somewhere between Slim and None, and as the saying goes,  Slim is riding out of town.....

Earlier in the season maybe. Goldman isn't anywhere near Shelton.

This team does NOT need a NG...

They NEED edge rushers.......

I'm pretty sure the AFCCG alone shows how bad we need a NT. Edge rushers are definitely a need, but we got run on really badly in too many games to not improve our big 3 up front.

Shelton is NOT falling.

Of all the DT's in the draft, he's the highest rated as of today.

That could change, but he's a top-10 guy.

And if something does change, the chances that he falls out of the top-10 all the way to 29 are right around zero.

Sorry, but this dream is not happening.

Meh, I don't really take player rankings/projections that serious this early. There are plenty of players that fell from potential top 10 picks to late first rounders. Our own Werner being one of them, who was the #1 DE around this time.

"The 6-foot-4, 255-pound Werner is rated as the eighth-best player by ESPN's Scouts Inc. He is expected to be a top-10 pick in April's draft."-espn.com

And I believe Shelton is viewed as the #1 DT in this class. No one thought that of Sharrif.

I'm pretty sure Floyd was widely projected as a top 10 pick and often was mocked by "experts" as high as 3rd overall. They're both guys that had stellar Senior Bowl practices and didn't show up in the game. I'd say there's a few parallels..

I'm pretty sure Floyd was widely projected as a top 10 pick and often was mocked by "experts" as high as 3rd overall. They're both guys that had stellar Senior Bowl practices and didn't show up in the game. I'd say there's a few parallels..

I guess it all depends on (A) who the "experts" are and (B) when they made that forecast.   

I don't mind projections that change and evolve,   but I do mind when someone is hugely way off.   So, a couple of January's ago,  CBS Sports had the QB from Syracuse,  Ryan Nassib,  as the number one player overall.     Not the number one QB,  but the number one player overall.    He went in the 4th round to the NY Giants.    That kind of thing drives me nuts.    Now, they moved him out of that spot at some point before the draft,  but no one who wants to be taken seriously should ever be THAT FAR off.     That was just silly.

Meh, I don't really take player rankings/projections that serious this early. There are plenty of players that fell from potential top 10 picks to late first rounders. Our own Werner being one of them, who was the #1 DE around this time.

"The 6-foot-4, 255-pound Werner is rated as the eighth-best player by ESPN's Scouts Inc. He is expected to be a top-10 pick in April's draft."-espn.com

Thanks,  but that doesn't tell me WHEN that forecast was made?    That makes a big difference.

It's way too early to say that he is gonna fall but remember 2013 draft i think most of the draft analyzers were saying that Star Lotulelei and Sharrif Floyd were a top 10 guaranteed, Lotulelei "had" a bad combine(heart issue), and both felt from the top 10, so i would love to draft him at 29 maybe if a couple of OLB/DE have great numbers at the combine he could fall but as i said it's too early to say that.

Love your first line!    Classic!!       :thmup:

As to your second line,  I have no idea why you'd think this?    There simply aren't many elite level defensive prospects in this draft.     In fact,  there aren't many elite prospects no matter which side of the ball they're on.    I don't think this is a great draft at all.    Not from what I'm reading.

I'm not adverse to trading down,  but not too far.     It all depends on who's available when we pick....

This I agree with, it's not an elite draft like 2012 (ha how's that turned out!), but I do think there is a lot of "good" prospects that give some depth, especially at DE/OLB for us and I could see a Beasley/Armitstead/Harold etc etc. being there for us at 29. On the O side there seems to be depth too at WR and RB again positions of need for us so I think we're pretty set for being able to go BPA. 

If we could get a trade down to the top of the 2nd and get say a high 4th as well then I don't think we're going to miss out too much at 29. 

Still a long way to go, FA as well, needs will change and then of course we'll have prospect snake and ladders. 

Thanks, but that doesn't tell me WHEN that forecast was made? That makes a big difference.

It was made when he made his announcement to enter the draft, so January 4th

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8809922&src=desktop

USA Today said the same thing on January 4th

"Every reputable mock draft has Werner being selected somewhere in the top 10 of the first round. And most pundits believe he's either the best or second-best defensive lineman available in the draft. NFLDraftScout.com ranks Werner as the best defensive end in the draft."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/01/03/bjoern-werner-nfl-draft-florida-state-seminoles-fsu/1808115/

I wouldn't take a player ranking/projection serious until after everyone's pro day

It's way too early to say that he is gonna fall but remember 2013 draft i think most of the draft analyzers were saying that Star Lotulelei and Sharrif Floyd were a top 10 guaranteed, Lotulelei "had" a bad combine(heart issue), and both felt from the top 10, so i would love to draft him at 29 maybe if a couple of OLB/DE have great numbers at the combine he could fall but as i said it's too early to say that.

Exactly what I was referring too. Everyone had Floyd as the top ranked DT. Every analyst on NFL.com had him going #3 to the Raiders. He was a top 10 pick everywhere.

Shelton is a great player but this is a deep DT class and he's not without his flaws. There is a chance he falls at least out of the top 10.

Two things...

What? Everyone and their mother had Shariff going #2 overall to the Raiders.

I agree. He's bigger than Shelton and he may be even more athletic too. It's reported that despite his size, Phillips can dunk a basketball and, even more impressively, do a backflip.

His pro comparison on NFL.com is Terrance Knighton who a lot of people here would like in FA. Would be great to get a guy like Phillips who can start day 1 and upgrade your line. Also saves you money. He's not Pot Roast his first year, but year 2-3 a few scouts see him as a Pro Bowl NT.

His pro comparison on NFL.com is Terrance Knighton who a lot of people here would like in FA. Would be great to get a guy like Phillips who can start day 1 and upgrade your line. Also saves you money. He's not Pot Roast his first year, but year 2-3 a few scouts see him as a Pro Bowl NT.

I've seen a couple places compare him to Albert Haynesworth before his big pay day. He's also much more likely to be available than Shelton.

I've seen a couple places compare him to Albert Haynesworth before his big pay day. He's also much more likely to be available than Shelton.

Yeah motor is the key. And I haven't heard anything bad about his motor. I'd take him if Shelton wasn't there....heck I might even take him over Shelton since he's probably a better fit.

Yeah motor is the key. And I haven't heard anything bad about his motor. I'd take him if Shelton wasn't there....heck I might even take him over Shelton since he's probably a better fit.

I like the extra four or five inches of height Phillips has too. It makes him a bigger obstacle to throw over/around. He also has tons of collegiate experience as a nose tackle which is an added benefit.

I like the extra four or five inches of height Phillips has too. It makes him a bigger obstacle to throw over/around. He also has tons of collegiate experience as a nose tackle which is an added benefit.

Yeah I don't see him getting man-handled by centers like Chapman. He's also got some quickness to him for a big man. Shelton is great but he's mostly a space eater.

Yeah I don't see him getting man-handled by centers like Chapman. He's also got some quickness to him for a big man. Shelton is great but he's mostly a space eater.

your thinking of a different Danny Shelton if your thinking he is mostly a space eater