Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Patriots the Spurs of the NFL?

amfootball

There certainly are many important similarities between the two franchises given their successes.

However, the Spurs are a bunch of likable, standout citizens. Pops is not paranoid and narcissistic. Win or lose, he has no problem shaking the opposing coaches hand. Duncan is not smug and arrogant. The Spurs, to my knowledge, have never been the subject of a scandal, running up the score, or thumbing their nose at the rulebook and integrity of the game (I know, integrity and the NBA do not go together).

The Spurs and the Patriots have built similar organizations, with different ideas about the definitions of character and sportsmanship. Both are, for the last 15 years, the class of their respective leagues. It's just that one of the teams could stand to learn something about class from it's counterpart.

I think what is interesting is both teams won a lot of championships early on then a drought but during the drought they were still making deep playoff runs.

I think Duncan and Brady are a lot a like in terms of personality and leadership although I would say Brady is more vocal and emotional. Also, Duncan was more of a role player last year for the Spurs whereas Brady led the team to the 4th ring.

Still both have great ownership, great coach and great franchise player.

I agree about Spurs being liked more. Not sure there is a more hated franchise than the Pats.

I would say that it's much easier to win multiple titles in the NBA once you get a franchise player like Duncan. The success of a football team requires a high level of play from many many more people than a basketball team requires. Put Tim Duncan or LeBron or Kobe or Jordan on almost any team with a bunch of decent/average surrounding players and you'll win a lot. It's much harder to do in football, as Colts fans are seeing...you've got the franchise player. If this were the NBA you'd be much closer to a championship than you are in the NFL.

I would say that it's much easier to win multiple titles in the NBA once you get a franchise player like Duncan. The success of a football team requires a high level of play from many many more people than a basketball team requires. Put Tim Duncan or LeBron or Kobe or Jordan on almost any team with a bunch of decent/average surrounding players and you'll win a lot. It's much harder to do in football, as Colts fans are seeing...you've got the franchise player. If this were the NBA you'd be much closer to a championship than you are in the NFL.

Actually it's harder now. Every team have their own players/leverage(even the freaking bucks are good) and the new CBA contract prevents teams like the Lakers, Heat, and Celtics stack their own teams to win multiple titles.

Now teams in the nba must create their own leverage and a lot of team work is reguired. The days of the relying on superstars winning is over. Evidence is last year. Check the standings. The Spurs are the 7th seed. The Hawks (who was the 8th seed last year) is the 1st seed of the eastern conference.

I think what is interesting is both teams won a lot of championships early on then a drought but during the drought they were still making deep playoff runs.

I think Duncan and Brady are a lot a like in terms of personality and leadership although I would say Brady is more vocal and emotional. Also, Duncan was more of a role player last year for the Spurs whereas Brady led the team to the 4th ring.

Still both have great ownership, great coach and great franchise player.

I agree about Spurs being liked more. Not sure there is a more hated franchise than the Pats.

1252.gif

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12255920/patriots-spurs-nfl

Read this article yesterday before the game and now that the Pats did win their 4th ring, I think this comparison is valid. The similarities in their runs the last 15 years is remarkable.

Thoughts?

Read this article yesterday before the game and now that the Pats did win their 4th ring, I think this comparison is valid. The similarities in their runs the last 15 years is remarkable.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

[/quote

No....its kind of an insult to both

There certainly are many important similarities between the two franchises given their successes.

However, the Spurs are a bunch of likable, standout citizens. Pops is not paranoid and narcissistic. Win or lose, he has no problem shaking the opposing coaches hand. Duncan is not smug and arrogant. The Spurs, to my knowledge, have never been the subject of a scandal, running up the score, or thumbing their nose at the rulebook and integrity of the game (I know, integrity and the NBA do not go together).

The Spurs and the Patriots have built similar organizations, with different ideas about the definitions of character and sportsmanship. Both are, for the last 15 years, the class of their respective leagues. It's just that one of the teams could stand to learn something about class from it's counterpart.

This ^ ......could not of said it any better.