Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots being investigated for Deflating footballs.....(Mega Merge)

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will. His legacy is forever tainted. 

Not as much as you think... if they continue to win. People said the same thing in 2007 but most fans eventually let go of the notion that they had to film other teams' signals in order to beat them. 

Here's the thing...and trust me I'm not justifying anything please dont mistake my comments for such....but this rule and the breaking of it is nothing more than a speeding ticket. Even the way it is written makes it seem incredibly insignificant.

Especially now hearing all the comments coming from former AND current players about what other stuff goes on and what they used to do with balls...I am honestly convinced that if this wasn't the New England Patriots, there would be 0% national outrage. This is going to spiral and become a 'victory lap' for everyone who hates the Patriots and perhaps that's well deserved...but lets be real here for a second, THIS is not what has made the Patriots so successful over the years.

This sort of reasoning is something I don't follow. If they deflated the balls so they would be easier to hand off, throw, and catch, how is that not helping the Patriots in a huge way. Let's say there was some drops on 3rd downs, a fumble, and just an overall fair game. The score would have easily been a lot closer. Then in the closing minutes we're talking about a totally different scenario. Deflating the football's is a huge advantage, especially in a sleeting and rainy game. I know you said you weren't belittling the cheating, but there is no way it is minor. So yeah, Brady outplayed Andrew Luck, but from where I'm sitting Brady's throwing miniature football's, while Luck has to use the big boy balls.

Back when I was a teenager, my brothers and I would play basketball with the lighter women's ball. The advantage was you could make jump shots much easier. This is no different. I suspect Brady knew that, beings he wanted to play with the deflated football instead of the regulation size.

I propose a simple experiment for everyone on here.

Take a football and inflate it to 12.5 psi.

Spray it with a hose until soaked

Leave it outside overnight

Bring it inside and let it sit for 2 days

Measure the new psi

What has that have to do with this? You are making yourself look foolish.

Just hit me...

The Patriots go to Indy next year. That should be a pretty interesting game. ;)

Just speculating, but we may see some "running up the score" in that one if the opportunity presents itself to NE, lol.,..

Because they got called out cheating again?

add Brad Johnson to the list of QBs to suspend (with Rodgers and Brady so far).

also, time to strip the Bucs of their Superbowl win

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/brad-johnson-paid-a-bribe-to-tamper-with-footballs-at-the-super-bowl/

You will stoop to any thing to take the attention off? With every post you make you are getting yourself deeper and deeper into proving you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Not as much as you think... if they continue to win. People said the same thing in 2007 but most fans eventually let go of the notion that they had to film other teams' signals in order to beat them. 

only difference is this is being caught again, so there is a cloud of doubt over the last 15 years, he's not going to all of a sudden rattle off 3 superbowls. everything he has done up until now and including next week's game bc the possible cheating in the previous games influenced this season is suspect/tainted/tarnished/asterisked. see ya.

Just heard Mort on ESPN say the officials absolutely did check the balls before that game. So there goes the idea that they didn't do there job.

Also the Colts notified the league in November that they felt those balls in the first matchup were abnormal as well.

jerry Austin was on mike and mike this morning and said he understood all 12 balls were underinflatted just 11 of them were underinflatted by 2 pounds or more. He went to say all the balls, including the Colts balls were checked at half-time. The Colts balls were all at the proper weight.

Assuming what Austin was told is true, and I see no reason to think its not, this seems to destroy all the weather caused it, why wait 48 hours, and did they weigh the Colts balls arguments that have been floated to explain this.

Just hit me...

The Patriots go to Indy next year. That should be a pretty interesting game. ;)

Just speculating, but we may see some "running up the score" in that one if the opportunity presents itself to NE, lol.,..

Yeah I think they're be pretty mad that they got caught cheating. Wait what......

Yes. I think it will be much higher IF they can prove the Pats tampered. But in general ball tampering is not a huge offense by the league as deemed by the low fine. Players get fined more for not speaking to the media or a late hit ...

Why do you keep saying this is not serious? The point of integrity has apparently gone over your head.

Goodell hasnt even come to a decision yet, heck the investigation isnt even completed but youre saying that he's already covering it up?

Not saying he is covering it up, but from his previous history, he likes to downplay things and act like he isn't aware of certain things.  Take for instance Ray Rice.  2 game suspension for domestic abuse, but then when the evidence comes to light he tries to crack down to save himself, but in reality, people from the league already saw the video, and he neglected to act on it. 

Point being he will  push stuff off until it's a huge deal, if the media doesn't make it a big deal, the problem barely exists!

Every time a player gets called for holding, facemask etc, it is a violation of the rules.  Technicaly, it is the same as this violation of the rules.  Likewise, when a player gets away with something it is a violation of the rules.  Nobody ever calls a player a cheater for attempting to gain an advantage by holding.  Is he violating the rules?  Of course.  Is he hoping to gain an advantage by holding.  Of course. 

I don't see this as a big deal.  The Colts were outscored by a greater margin after the underinflated balls were discovered.  In my opinion, This (underinflated balls) did not help and are not the reason we lost Sunday.  In retrospect, I would bet that the Pats are sorry they did this because they got caught.  How is that any different than a player getting away with PI, holding, facemask, contact beyond 5 yards or any other violation of the NFL rules? 

There's been no verification that the officials changed the PSIs to the proper specs during halftime.  Nor has there been any indication of what the specs were after the game was over.  

Every time a player gets called for holding, facemask etc, it is a violation of the rules.  Technicaly, it is the same as this violation of the rules.  Likewise, when a player gets away with something it is a violation of the rules.  Nobody ever calls a player a cheater for attempting to gain an advantage by holding.  Is he violating the rules?  Of course.  Is he hoping to gain an advantage by holding.  Of course. 

I don't see this as a big deal.  The Colts were outscored by a greater margin after the underinflated balls were discovered.  In my opinion, This (underinflated balls) did not help and are not the reason we lost Sunday.  In retrospect, I would bet that the Pats are sorry they did this because they got caught.  How is that any different than a player getting away with PI, holding, facemask, contact beyond 5 yards or any other violation of the NFL rules? 

No one plans days or hours in advance to commit a holding penalty.  In fact in most cases there is probably no thinking involved, player is trying to accomplish a task but forgets the limitations on how he can accomplish that task.  

This was a pre-planned thing.

Also nearly all of the balls where in violation.  So the Pats where still playing with under inflated balls in the 2nd half. 

There's been no verification that the officials changed the PSIs to the proper specs during halftime.  Nor has there been any indication of what the specs were after the game was over.  

Well, that may be so.  I had assumed maybe too much.

That does not change the fact that by definition, any player who holds another player is "cheating", because it is a violation of the rules. 

People are trying to figure out why Colts fans are so mad about this. It's not because it changed the outcome of the game, it's because from the start, the Colts were at an illegal disadvantage. The Colts could have played the game of their lives and it might not have mattered because the Patriots decided to cheat.

Because they got called out cheating again?

Were you watching football back in 2007?  ;)

They'll take this out on the Colts on the field. Guarantee it. If that turns out to be any sort of lopsided game in their favor they'll pour it in such a way that it'll make any previous "running up the score" claims look gentle by comparison. 

I'm not saying they'll "blame" Indy for it but... the way this all unfolded, one has to wonder if that (a blow-out) is what the Patriots had in mind after halftime, when this all supposedly came up. The stories said that both teams were aware by the half, right? And it wasn't until the 3rd quarter that the Patriots really turned it up. 

only difference is this is being caught again, so there is a cloud of doubt over the last 15 years, he's not going to all of a sudden rattle off 3 superbowls. everything he has done up until now and including next week's game bc the possible cheating in the previous games influenced this season is suspect/tainted/tarnished/asterisked. see ya.

I don't really know what's going to happen, and am really just speculating based on precedent here. There's something to what you're saying about these things building up and building up though. 

what, if any, punishment the Patriots and head coach Bill Belichick should receive.

If the NFL does decide punishment is needed, the league can do pretty much whatever it wants to the Patriots, according to the NFL Rule Book.If the Patriots did indeed intentionally deflate the footballs, "Deflategate" could fall under the category of "Unfair Acts," which is defined by the NFL Rule Book as "any club action, nonparticipant interference, or emergency [that] occurs in an NFL game which [the commissioner] deems so unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of a game."

The penalties for Unfair Acts appear to be unlimited and range from a minimum of fines, suspensions, and lost draft picks, all the way to giving commissioner Roger Goodell the power to replay the game or even rule it a forfeit

Anyone have any thoughts why almost all outside nfl media sources such as cnn, ESPN, fox, etc... All have reports of "11-12 balls deflated" and seems to be somewhat close to the top of news on these places but on nfl.com there is nothing about the findings yet ?

NFL.com is the same site where they removed the audio interview with the Head of Officiating yesterday too.  Where he admitted "several balls" taken out of play and tested.