Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playoff Success Historical Perspective

rockywoj

The Colts make the AFC Championship and are playing for a trip to the Super Bowl!

A lot of forum members tend to be very negative about the team, berating Grigson and Pagano and saying how they are just bad (Grigson making bad personnel moves and Pagano being bad at coaching), that the team is a joke that will be one and done, blah blah blah, yet here they are, in a conference Championship game!

To perhaps put things into perspective about just how difficult a thing it really is to make a conference championship game, consider this ... I became a Colts fan in 1966.  For those that don't want to do the math, that's 48 years.  During that 48 years span, the Colts have won the Super Bowl twice and in total played in the Super Bowl four times.

How many times have they made it to the conference championship game you ask?  The answer is ...

a grand total of only seven (7) times before this year, this year now being only the 8th time in my 48 years of cheering on the horseshoe that they've made it to the conference final game!

My point is, although some of you may think that anything less than a Super Bowl is a failure, I think with a lifetime of cheering on a team, you may come to realize how rare success like this really is!

Also consider that since the Colts drafted Manning, the Colts have been one of the most successful teams in the NFL year in and year out, yet since being in last place in 1997 and only 3-13 in Manning's rookie season of 1998, as successful as the Colts have been, since after Manning's rookie season, this is only the 4th time they will be playing in the AFC Championship game. That's only 4 times in 16 years.  

During that span, how does this level of success (failure in too many people's eyes) compare to other teams in the AFC?

In the AFC there are only two teams that have made it to the AFC Final more than the Colts:  Pittsburgh Steelers (5 times) and New England Patriots (now 9 times).  The Baltimore Ravens have matched the Colts 4 times.

Next Sunday New England is a heavy favorite, with the line pegging the Patriots as seven point favorites.  Yes, the Colts are definite underdogs.  They will most likely lose.  Sadly, if they lose, naysayers will likely come onto the forums calling for Pagano's head and or Grigson's head, citing the Colts failures from a personnel standpoint and from a coaching standpoint.

I submit, though, these negative people have almost no perspective to appreciate just how fantastic of an accomplishment it is that these Colts, only three years removed from being the worst team in Football, are once again oh so close to the Big Game!  Only 7 times before this year, in all of my 48 years of cheering on the Colts, has this level of success been attained!

I am not saying that we should simply be satisfied, for every year the goal is to be the single best team, to be the only team fortunate enough to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.  What I am saying, though, is that regardless of whether we win or lose next week in Foxborough, and especially if we lose, one should keep in mind just how rare a playoff run like this actually is.

What a year it's been!  Go Colts! 

This team has over achieved for the past two years. We thought they had hit a plateau or even stalled out a few weeks ago, and while it's true that the team isn't perfect, here they are over achieving again. This program is still ahead of schedule, and the staff and ownership deserve a lot of credit for that.

This is still going to be a critical offseason for the team. Doesn't matter if we find a way to win the Super Bowl, we still need to make some significant improvements with the roster and put some of the coaching mistakes in the past. If that happens, this team should be in the upper tier of the NFL.

... This is still going to be a critical offseason for the team. Doesn't matter if we find a way to win the Super Bowl, we still need to make some significant improvements with the roster and put some of the coaching mistakes in the past. If that happens, this team should be in the upper tier of the NFL.

Basically that can be said of every team, every year.  THIS team is IN the AFC Championship game next week.  Ergo, this year  they are currently IN the upper tier of the NFL.

This is a rare level of success (only 8 out of my 48 years of being a Colts fan) that ought to be savored.  This team smells a lot like the 2006 NFL Champion Colts, to me.  Win or lose next week (or in the Super Bowl), this is, believe it or not, a rarefied level of success that, based on my 48 years of being a Colts fan, ought not be taken for granted.

Go Colts!

This team has over achieved for the past two years. We thought they had hit a plateau or even stalled out a few weeks ago, and while it's true that the team isn't perfect, here they are over achieving again. This program is still ahead of schedule, and the staff and ownership deserve a lot of credit for that.

This is still going to be a critical offseason for the team. Doesn't matter if we find a way to win the Super Bowl, we still need to make some significant improvements with the roster and put some of the coaching mistakes in the past. If that happens, this team should be in the upper tier of the NFL.

Agreed. No matter how this season ends, we need to improve the roster, and to work on some contracts.

The Colts make the AFC Championship and are playing for a trip to the Super Bowl!

A lot of forum members tend to be very negative about the team, berating Grigson and Pagano and saying how they are just bad (Grigson making bad personnel moves and Pagano being bad at coaching), that the team is a joke that will be one and done, blah blah blah, yet here they are, in a conference Championship game!

To perhaps put things into perspective about just how difficult a thing it really is to make a conference championship, I became a Colts fan in 1966.  For those that don't want to do the math, that's 48 years.  During that 48 years span, the Colts have won the Super Bowl twice and in total played in the Super Bowl four times.

How many times have they made it to the conference championship game you ask?  The answer is ...

a grand total of only seven (7) times before this year, this year now being only the 8th time in my 48 years of cheering on the horseshoe!

My point is, although some of you may think that anything less than a Super Bowl is a failure, I think with a lifetime of cheering on a team, you may come to realize how rare success like this really is!

Also consider that since the Colts drafted Manning, the Colts have been one of the most successful teams in the NFL year in and year out, yet since being in last place in 1997 and only 3-13 in Manning's rookie season of 1998, as successful as the Colts have been, since after Manning's rookie season, this is only the 4th time they will be playing in the AFC Championship game. That's only 4 times in 16 years.  

How does this level of success (failure in too many people's eyes) compare to other teams in the AFC?

In the AFC there are only two teams that have made it to the AFC Final more than the Colts:  Pittsburgh Steelers (5 times) and New England Patriots (now 9 times).  The Baltimore Ravens have matched the Colts 4 times.

Next Sunday New England is a heavy favorite, with the line pegging the Patriots as seven point favorites.  Yes, the Colts are definite underdogs.  They will most likely lose.  Sadly, if they lose, naysayers will likely come onto the forums calling for Pagano's head and or Grigson's head, citing the Colts failures from a personnel standpoint and from a coaching standpoint.

I submit, though, they negative people have almost no perspective to appreciate just how fantastic of an accomplishment it is that these Colts, only three years removed from being the worst team in Football, are once again oh so close to the Big Game!  Only 7 times before this year, in my 48 years of cheering on the Colts, has this level of success been attained!

I am not saying that we should simply be satisfied, for every year the goal is to be the single best team, to be the only team fortunate enough to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.  What I am saying, though, is that regardless of whether we win or lose next week in Foxborough, and especially if we lose, one should keep in mind just how rare a playoff run like this actually is.

Well said.  I have never bought into the notion that the only team to have a successful season is the one that wins the Super Bowl.  Complete nonsense in my mind.  After the Bengals win my sole thought was I get to be a fan of my team this season for one more week.  Same thing yesterday.  I am so over the moon to have another game to look forward too.  I have a work colleague in Buffalo who has not seen this type of a sustained run for over 20 years.  There are 28 other teams in the league who would kill to be where Indy is right now.  Enjoy the journey - sometimes it is even better than the destination. 

Yes, thank you OP!  Most people don't understand how great this football franchise is.  It would be great to point out how many teams haven't made it to a Championship game in the same time span the Colts made it to theres with Manning, and now Luck!

It's crazy 3 years ago, how bad this team was.  Now were fighting for a SB birth!  We are light years ahead of schedule.  Ever since Luck was drafted and they were so good their rookie year, I said the Colts had dynasty potential.  It is more and more obvious, that after Manning and Brady are gone, who else in the AFC is going to stop us?  Baltimore and Pittsburg is always tough, but I just don't see them being "better"!  This is just an appetizer (even if we lose to NE), for what is coming in the near future.

To perhaps put things into perspective about just how difficult a thing it really is to make a conference championship, I became a Colts fan in 1966. For those that don't want to do the math, that's 48 years. During that 48 years span, the Colts have won the Super Bowl twice and in total played in the Super Bowl four times.

How many times have they made it to the conference championship game you ask? The answer is ...

a grand total of only seven (7) times before this year, this year now being only the 8th time in my 48 years of cheering on the horseshoe that they've made it to the conference final game!

Also consider that since the Colts drafted Manning, the Colts have been one of the most successful teams in the NFL year in and year out, yet since being in last place in 1997 and only 3-13 in Manning's rookie season of 1998, as successful as the Colts have been, since after Manning's rookie season, this is only the 4th time they will be playing in the AFC Championship game. That's only 4 times in 16 years.

During that span, how does this level of success (failure in too many people's eyes) compare to other teams in the AFC?

In the AFC there are only two teams that have made it to the AFC Final more than the Colts: Pittsburgh Steelers (5 times) and New England Patriots (now 9 times). The Baltimore Ravens have matched the Colts 4 times.

Next Sunday New England is a heavy favorite, with the line pegging the Patriots as seven point favorites. Yes, the Colts are definite underdogs. They will most likely lose. Sadly, if they lose, naysayers will likely come onto the forums calling for Pagano's head and or Grigson's head, citing the Colts failures from a personnel standpoint and from a coaching standpoint.

I submit, though, these negative people have almost no perspective to appreciate just how fantastic of an accomplishment it is that these Colts, only three years removed from being the worst team in Football, are once again oh so close to the Big Game! Only 7 times before this year, in all of my 48 years of cheering on the Colts, has this level of success been attained!

I am not saying that we should simply be satisfied, for every year the goal is to be the single best team, to be the only team fortunate enough to hoist the Lombardi Trophy. What I am saying, though, is that regardless of whether we win or lose next week in Foxborough, and especially if we lose, one should keep in mind just how rare a playoff run like this actually is.

What a year it's been! Go Colts!

Very well said Sir, thank you. We have been pretty spoiled/lucky for quite some time, pretty easy to take things for granted sometimes.

Basically that can be said of every team, every year.  THIS team is IN the AFC Championship game next week.  Ergo, this year  they are currently IN the upper tier of the NFL.

This is a rare level of success (only 8 out of my 48 years of being a Colts fan) that ought to be savored.  This team smells a lot like the 2006 NFL Champion Colts, to me.  Win or lose next week (or in the Super Bowl), this is, believe it or not, a rarefied level of success that, based on my 48 years of being a Colts fan, ought not be taken for granted.

Go Colts!

The team has had upper tier success this postseason. I still think there's a talent gap, which is what I'm referring to. Not trying to sell short what they've accomplished, it's obviously very commendable. 

What some seem to forget is where we are in our rebuild. I have been an avid watcher of the NFL for around 53 years. I can't recall any team in history that has gone through pretty much a total rebuild and went three 11-5 seasons in a row. A lot will make excuses for this and that but your record is what it is. I have a great feeling this Colt team is on the verge of being a perennial visitor to deep playoff runs over the next 10-12 years as long as health stays with us. Our time is coming.

How many years does a team need to overachieve before its no longer considered overachieving?

Very well said. And I think we're closer to those goals already. Win or lose come Sunday, the team has improved top to bottom. From coaching all the way down to individual player performances, we've gotten better. This off season is key, but I have a much brighter outlook on this team than I had week 1.

The team has had upper tier success this postseason. I still think there's a talent gap, which is what I'm referring to. Not trying to sell short what they've accomplished, it's obviously very commendable. 

So if the Colts beat the Pats, would there still be a talent gap?  Or would the Colts just be lucky to be there?  I don't think there is a talent gap at all, nor do I think we are lucky to be here.  I think the main problem the Colts have is consistency, which explains why they can amaze people some weeks and look terrible another.  As young as they are on offense, it doesn't surprise me.  We live and die by Lucks arm!  If Clark Kent doesn't become Superman, we generally dont win!

Very well said. And I think we're closer to those goals already. Win or lose come Sunday, the team has improved top to bottom. From coaching all the way down to individual player performances, we've gotten better. This off season is key, but I have a much brighter outlook on this team than I had week 1.

What I don't understand is there was talk that we weren't making any progression.  Through last week, the Colts were merely the same team or worse than last year.  All the sudden we beat the Broncos, and now there is progress?  Didn't we do that last year, just not in the playoffs.  1 game in the playoffs is a clear cut for progression these days?

So if the Colts beat the Pats, would there still be a talent gap?  Or would the Colts just be lucky to be there?  I don't think there is a talent gap at all, nor do I think we are lucky to be here.  I think the main problem the Colts have is consistency, which explains why they can amaze people some weeks and look terrible another.  As young as they are on offense, it doesn't surprise me.  We live and die by Lucks arm!  If Clark Kent doesn't become Superman, we generally dont win!

Some missing talent. But I think it mostly comes down to inexperience. Lots of young guys on this Colts team. They'll get better with time.

To perhaps put things into perspective about just how difficult a thing it really is to make a conference championship game, consider this ... I became a Colts fan in 1966.  For those that don't want to do the math, that's 48 years.  During that 48 years span, the Colts have won the Super Bowl twice and in total played in the Super Bowl four times.

I submit, though, these negative people have almost no perspective to appreciate just how fantastic of an accomplishment it is that these Colts, only three years removed from being the worst team in Football, are once again oh so close to the Big Game!  Only 7 times before this year, in all of my 48 years of cheering on the Colts, has this level of success been attained!

Well said as I too been a fan since I was 5 years old and that was 40 years ago. Then my QB was Bert Jones..It's a shame as some Colts' fans on here are just plain spoiled...The Colts are blessed to have another great QB in A. Luck and another great 10 year run of playoff appearances for a chance to raise the trophy.. But as you say, some do not understand that we are fortunate to have a well run/coached team.

I never said anything about them being lucky to be there, and I'm not saying that now. They played better than Denver last night, and that's why they won. I still think Denver has a more talented roster, though. They can outplay the Pats and win, and I'll still believe the Pats have a more talented roster. 

I agree about consistency, but that's basically saying that this team needs to play their very best every week in order to win, especially against high quality competition. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes a guy has an off game. Sometimes Luck won't quite be in the zone. It's my hope that the roster can be developed to the point that we can run the ball consistently and effectively, protect the QB, cover the middle of the field on defense, and rush the passer without blitzing as often as we do. That means we need better players and more depth in several areas.

I never said anything about them being lucky to be there, and I'm not saying that now. They played better than Denver last night, and that's why they won. I still think Denver has a more talented roster, though. They can outplay the Pats and win, and I'll still believe the Pats have a more talented roster. 

I agree about consistency, but that's basically saying that this team needs to play their very best every week in order to win, especially against high quality competition. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes a guy has an off game. Sometimes Luck won't quite be in the zone. It's my hope that the roster can be developed to the point that we can run the ball consistently and effectively, protect the QB, cover the middle of the field on defense, and rush the passer without blitzing as often as we do. That means we need better players and more depth in several areas.

Okay perhaps I misunderstood you.  On the other hand obviously the Broncos have some are a bit overrated though.  3 seasons with top of the line talent and STILL can't get the job done, can they really be considered elite?  NE wasn't that good last year so the Broncose pretty much walked to the SB, IMO.  Talib and Manning are great players, but are notorious for not getting the job done when it really matters.  The same can be said for Ware and Von Miller now also.  I think the Colts secondary is every bit as good as the Broncos, despite them not being well known. 

I don't think the Colts need to necessarilly play their best every week in order to win either.  They make WAY too many mistakes.  Penalties and turnovers can be very costly to any team, especially to a team that lacks experience.  After this season, I don't think we can use that as an excuse 3 years for our program playing at a high level is enough IMO.

I think our coverage in the middle of the field (LB's) is bad only because Freeman was banged up and DQ struggled at times early on, perhaps because it is his first season with the team.  Werner isn't too bad in coverage but he still has quite a bit to work on in that aspect as well.

We have already discussed our pass rushing, so I won't go there (save us both), but that clearly is a personel issue. 

Last but not least, the OL!  Yes, they have protected Luck the last few weeks, but I am not impressed one bit by there run blocking.  Inexperienced interior has a lot to do with their inconsistency.  I won't comment on the pass blocking, because they are playing with emotion and the Colts are streaking right now.  Next year if Luck is mostly in a pocket that isn't collapsing then I will revoke my thoughts, but even that needs improvement.

Okay perhaps I misunderstood you.  On the other hand obviously the Broncos have some are a bit overrated though.  3 seasons with top of the line talent and STILL can't get the job done, can they really be considered elite?  NE wasn't that good last year so the Broncose pretty much walked to the SB, IMO.  Talib and Manning are great players, but are notorious for not getting the job done when it really matters.  The same can be said for Ware and Von Miller now also.  I think the Colts secondary is every bit as good as the Broncos, despite them not being well known. 

I don't think the Colts need to necessarilly play their best every week in order to win either.  They make WAY too many mistakes.  Penalties and turnovers can be very costly to any team, especially to a team that lacks experience.  After this season, I don't think we can use that as an excuse 3 years for our program playing at a high level is enough IMO.

I think our coverage in the middle of the field (LB's) is bad only because Freeman was banged up and DQ struggled at times early on, perhaps because it is his first season with the team.  Werner isn't too bad in coverage but he still has quite a bit to work on in that aspect as well.

We have already discussed our pass rushing, so I won't go there (save us both), but that clearly is a personel issue. 

Last but not least, the OL!  Yes, they have protected Luck the last few weeks, but I am not impressed one bit by there run blocking.  Inexperienced interior has a lot to do with their inconsistency.  I won't comment on the pass blocking, because they are playing with emotion and the Colts are streaking right now.  Next year if Luck is mostly in a pocket that isn't collapsing then I will revoke my thoughts, but even that needs improvement.

Whether the Broncos are overrated or not, I still think they clearly have a more talented roster. That's actually a huge credit to the Colts for knocking them off, in Denver.

And yeah, all those points you mentioned are where I think the Colts can improve. We still need safety help as well; Adams is getting up there, and Landry is more of a liability than a strength. 

To begin with, I was only saying that this team is consistently doing more and going further than anyone expects, for three years now. As the OP said, perspective is needed. 

Is this a serious question or sarcasm?

I'd say sarcastic/semi-serious.

This team is 11-5 three years running, going farther in the playoffs every year, yet many people still say they are overachieving. 

I don't see it. I see progress.

How long before people just say they are a good team, and expect that they can challenge any NFL team on any stage?

This team is 11-5 three years running, going farther in the playoffs every year, yet many people still say they are overachieving. 

How long before people just say they are a good team, and expect that they can challenge any NFL team on any stage?

General expectations over the course of the season, especially in the second half of the year, were that this team couldn't beat anyone in the playoffs. Now they're in the AFCCG. (Same story in 2012 and 2013, doing more than they were expected to do.) I call that over achieving.

And that doesn't mean they aren't making progress. Of course they are. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Also, speaking of recent history, the Colts weren't supposed to be serious contenders for a playoff spot until 2014. So they're also ahead of schedule.

Whether the Broncos are overrated or not, I still think they clearly have a more talented roster. That's actually a huge credit to the Colts for knocking them off, in Denver.

And yeah, all those points you mentioned are where I think the Colts can improve. We still need safety help as well; Adams is getting up there, and Landry is more of a liability than a strength. 

To begin with, I was only saying that this team is consistently doing more and going further than anyone expects, for three years now. As the OP said, perspective is needed. 

I will put the big emphaiss on knocking them off IN Denver!  Considering they were undefeated in the mile high city this season.

Any team that has gone through a total rebuild and gone 11-5 three strait years is over achieving. 49 new players and 2 offensive coordinators in three seasons with a rookie QB, that is over achieving by anyone's standards. If you don't think that it's OK but I think most think other wise.

Any team that has gone through a total rebuild and gone 11-5 three strait years is over achieving. 49 new players and 2 offensive coordinators in three seasons with a rookie QB, that is over achieving by anyone's standards. If you don't think that it's OK but I think most think other wise.

Well, overachieving, to me, would mean performing beyond abilities, not performing beyond expectations of the general fan base.

To perhaps put things into perspective about just how difficult a thing it really is to make a conference championship game, consider this ... I became a Colts fan in 1966. For those that don't want to do the math, that's 48 years. During that 48 years span, the Colts have won the Super Bowl twice and in total played in the Super Bowl four times.

How many times have they made it to the conference championship game you ask? The answer is ...

Also consider that since the Colts drafted Manning, the Colts have been one of the most successful teams in the NFL year in and year out, yet since being in last place in 1997 and only 3-13 in Manning's rookie season of 1998, as successful as the Colts have been, since after Manning's rookie season, this is only the 4th time they will be playing in the AFC Championship game. That's only 4 times in 16 years.

In the AFC there are only two teams that have made it to the AFC Final more than the Colts: Pittsburgh Steelers (5 times) and New England Patriots (now 9 times). The Baltimore Ravens have matched the Colts 4 times.

Next Sunday New England is a heavy favorite, with the line pegging the Patriots as seven point favorites. Yes, the Colts are definite underdogs. They will most likely lose. Sadly, if they lose, naysayers will likely come onto the forums calling for Pagano's head and or Grigson's head, citing the Colts failures from a personnel standpoint and from a coaching standpoint.

I submit, though, these negative people have almost no perspective to appreciate just how fantastic of an accomplishment it is that these Colts, only three years removed from being the worst team in Football, are once again oh so close to the Big Game! Only 7 times before this year, in all of my 48 years of cheering on the Colts, has this level of success been attained!

I am not saying that we should simply be satisfied, for every year the goal is to be the single best team, to be the only team fortunate enough to hoist the Lombardi Trophy. What I am saying, though, is that regardless of whether we win or lose next week in Foxborough, and especially if we lose, one should keep in mind just how rare a playoff run like this actually is.

What a year it's been! Go Colts!

I know you were just putting your perspective on the Colts, but here are some additions:

Baltimore Colts NFL Champions 1958, 1959, 1968

Lost NFL Championship game 1964

Lost Super Bowl 3 1968

Won Super Bowl 5 1970 SB Champions

Lost AFC Championship game to Miami 1971

New England Patriots

AFC Championship 1963 bombed out by SD 51-10.

Had SB appearance under Raymond Berry, won absolutely nothing until 2001.

Some missing talent. But I think it mostly comes down to inexperience. Lots of young guys on this Colts team. They'll get better with time.

I agree. I will point out, though, that the next few drafts will be critical for the Colts' sustained success due to the need for cheap production after the FO pays Luck and the other 2012 draft class studs...

I can see how you and many others can say the team over achieved but I don't see it that way. I fully expected that with #12 and all because of #12 he would take us right back to the playoffs. No not Jim Sorgi I'm talkin Andrew Luck!

Ugh, it took more than a few games of watching Andrew to get the bad association of #12 in a Colts uniform out of my head :)

Great Post!

And the progression is there - in his first year Andrew got us to the playoffs - second year, we won a playoff game, third year, we won two playoff games. It's a great progression and it takes a different sort of concentration and a lot of experience to win in the post season. It isn't easy - as Peyton proved time and time again. As mentioned, we are definitely overachieving and playing with house money.

Will be fun to watch either way, and a victory would not be a surprise to me. Give Andrew enough time and he will figure any defense out - but either way I love how Andrew is progressing as we go along. It's kind of miraculous when you think about it.

What I don't understand is there was talk that we weren't making any progression.  Through last week, the Colts were merely the same team or worse than last year.  All the sudden we beat the Broncos, and now there is progress?  Didn't we do that last year, just not in the playoffs.  1 game in the playoffs is a clear cut for progression these days?

For whatever reason the Coaching staff waited until the playoffs to get it together. That is where the progress is coming from. They finally benched Richardson and gave Boom and Tipton a crack. Pep finally figured out how to implement a run game by using check downs and outside pitches. They also waited until like the final week I so of the season to let Holmes star at center.

It seems weird, but most of the stuff that people have been clamoring for has finally been implemented, and its clearly payed off. They also figured out an O-line combo that actually works. Heck, even Luck has gotten better. Its just very rare for a team to get better so late in the season.

Simple

By beating the Patriots in New England .

For whatever reason the Coaching staff waited until the playoffs to get it together. That is where the progress is coming from. They finally benched Richardson and gave Boom and Tipton a crack. Pep finally figured out how to implement a run game by using check downs and outside pitches. They also waited until like the final week I so of the season to let Holmes star at center.

It seems weird, but most of the stuff that people have been clamoring for has finally been implemented, and its clearly payed off. They also figured out an O-line combo that actually works. Heck, even Luck has gotten better. Its just very rare for a team to get better so late in the season.

I disagree.  Boom had a good game against the Bengals, but nothing special.  His game against the Broncos was terrible, excluding his catches out of the backfield.  2.7 YPC was his rushing average.  Bradshaw was doing the same thing when he was healthy, catching balls out of the backfield, but Luck knows to take what the defense gives him because short pass INT's can be a huge game changer.  He's not really getting better, just knows not to make dumb mistakes in the playoffs, which are even more costly.

Holmes is doing a decent job, but nothing spectacular.  I think the Colts are just motivated right now to win, and they're playing as a team.  I think the Colts were this good all along, but just play very inconsistently.  We NEED to make a permanent change with the OL next year moving forward.  We NEED to pick up somebody to be an elite pass rusher.  Hopefully Newsome continues his progress, but Mathis isn't going to be that guy next year. 

The real main progress I've seen is with the tackling.  The team as a whole is doing a heck of a lot better job, and it is showing.  The run defense is thriving because Art Jones is finally healthy.

Rockywoj,

I have not been on this board in some time. I formerly posted as Warhorse. I read this thread and it was so close to my feelings, and so insight-fully accurate, that I registered again just so I could respond to you. Thank you for taking your time to craft such a heart felt message. I will leave my personal feelings at bay at the reason to why you needed to post this....that much is obvious.....as I have given up on that battle. 

Thanks for this piece of yourself that you have shared. There is a lesson here for those who choose to see it. Go Colts!

Some fun with math in support of the OP...

6 of 16 teams in each conference makes the playoffs each year... Meaning ON AVERAGE, any team ought to make it 37.5% of the time.

Since 1999, the Colts have participated in 14 of 16 playoffs, or 87.5%. More than double the average.

4 of 16 teams make it to the divisional round of the playoffs each year, or ON AVERAGE, 25% of the time.

In the above reference 16 years, Colts have been to the divisional round 9 times, or 56.25%. Again, more than double the average.

2 of 16 teams go to the conference championship each year, or ON AVERAGE, 12.5% of the time.

Colts have participated in 4 in the last 16 years, or 25% of the time. Twice the average.

1 out of 16 teams goes on to the SB, or ON AVERAGE, 6.26% of the time.

Colts have already gone twice in the last 16 years (twice the avg,), with a chance for a another appearance.

Teams win the SB ON AVERAGE 3.125% of the time. Colts are 1 for 16, or twice the average, with a shot at another this year.

It's just my opinion, but people really ought to take more stock in just how fortunate we've been as a fanbase. Yes, I want them to strive for the Pats level of success, but most other fanbases are jealous of the Colt's sustained excellence.

Well said as I too been a fan since I was 5 years old and that was 40 years ago. Then my QB was Bert Jones..It's a shame as some Colts' fans on here are just plain spoiled...The Colts are blessed to have another great QB in A. Luck and another great 10 year run of playoff appearances for a chance to raise the trophy.. But as you say, some do not understand that we are fortunate to have a well run/coached team.

I couldn't agree more with this post and the OP comments. My family is made up of Vikings fans they don't accept any belly aching from me.