Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lions got robbed

bestQBever

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This blown play will be talked about for a long time, but I agree with Bogie that it was not "rigged" or that Jerry Jones was paid off. Conspiracy theorists are having a field day with this. I watched the game, and the Lions beat themselves. They were outplayed by Dallas. Penalties are what killed the final drive (legitimate penalties). I wanted  the Lions to win, it would have been interesting to see how their defense matched up against Seattle. Even though it didn't end well for Detroit, IMO they weren't robbed out of a win by officials. They did it to themselves.

BTW, my brother-in-law is a LIons fan, and I would tell him the same thing.

The call totally changed the complexion of the game and killed the Lions. Of course there are other plays that can be made in a course of a game, but these types of critical moment, game changing calls , crush momentum, and alter the course of a game. These are professional refs , and you expect more from them . This particular crew should be scrutinized , and probably not allowed to do any playoff games until they display they can do a better job.

I've seen this a million times in the ACC, where Dean Smith and Coach K were always the recipients of friendly calls. Same thing here, nice stadium in Dallas, big owner and politician in the box, frenzied crowd, and you lose your nerve and judgement and pick up the flag. Mentally, it just killed the Lions and altered the game. Not a conspiracy, but a ref crew the was psychologically weak, and prey to outside influences.

The other thing is..DeZ Bryant comes on the field to argue the call without his helmet..

....2 violations of the rules..unless he claims he was a cornerback

It would go as an unsportsmanlike conduct but according to what I heard on the radio and saw on TV it is not a mandatory thing to do. It is up to whatever official calls it. I see it as a mandatory call because it is a playoff game and if Bryant is that stupid to not know then it should be called for him being dumb. Also only 19 seconds passed between throwing the flag and picking it up. This stinks of pushing for the TV ratings by getting the Cowboys back on the air as opposed to the Lions. It cannot be proven but again this wasa playoff game. I would not want to be a Lions fan today.

As a result of this call, I believe those types of calls will be subject to review next season. So there may be good that comes out of it. As Belichick once said, all plays should be able to be reviewed. This is a great example of that especially with the league saying that defensive holding should have been called even if the PI was questionable.

NFL's head of officiating Dean Blandino admitted they botched the call which should have been a holding penalty at the very least, but there were 4 seperate penalties on the same play... and in my opinion they really should have offset. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/05/dean-blandino-acknowledges-cowboys-got-away-with-one/

Ya i saw the holding.  I was talking specifically about the PI.  When the guy is pulling you along by your facemask, theres goiing to be contact cause your trying to prevent yourself from falling into him.  As far as Dez Bryant.  That cant be called.  The helmet thing applies only to players that are playing.  Meaning out on the field.  This was address on NFLAM this morning by some ref official they had on.  So Bryant couldnt be called for a penalty for unsportmanlike conduct cause he was  not in the field of play.

Ya i saw the holding.  I was talking specifically about the PI.  When the guy is pulling you along by your facemask, theres goiing to be contact cause your trying to prevent yourself from falling into him.  As far as Dez Bryant.  That cant be called.  The helmet thing applies only to players that are playing.  Meaning out on the field.  This was address on NFLAM this morning by some ref official they had on.  So Bryant couldnt be called for a penalty for unsportmanlike conduct cause he was  not in the field of play.

The whole thing was bad all around. I just hope the NFL will star holding these refs accountable so that they will have an incentive to clean up their act, and improve the game for the players as well as the fans. A certain number of missed calls should result in missed pay.

I hope Green bay defeats Dallas Sunday. I have no allegiance to either team but it hurts the game as a whole when obvious fouls (at eats 4) are ignored or missed and they decide the game.

In review: It is clear on the video replay that, Dallas committed 3 obvious fouls (holding, PI and unsportsmanlike conduct) on one play and then an obvious and flagrant holding call on a 4th-and-6 play that could have ended Dallas' final posession (t would have made it 4th and 16 with 5 minutes to go) was also missed.

Tf you argue that there was no pass interference ..well...it was beyond obvious but it doesn't matter what we think, a ref called it...and an other ref with a poorer view overruled it..On the video, he was wrong. The defender pushed the receiver away from the ball.

..The penalty would have been at the Dallas 30 yard line..1st down Lions with Detroit holding a 3-point lead with 7 1/2 minutes to go..

The NFL apologizes to Detroit and they should. But Dallas wins because of four missed calls on two late game plays.

No one can realistic argue that the four missed calls didn't decide the game.

Bad calls took the ball from Detroit and a bad call allowed the winning TD to be scored for dallas. No opinion.

The NFL said it was bad call. THe 3 missed calls on one played were 'referees discretion'..the refs CHOSE not to call any of

the 4 fouls, even though one ref obviously (he threw a flag) saw one of them. How does that sound?

For the sake of the sport and its credibility, Dallas needs to lose now.

A championship now would always be questioned and a wide universe of conspiracies would live for generations.

Picking up a flag on a nationally televised playoff game, for all the world to see, hardly qualifies.

Because the NFL would never be so arrogant to think they could pass one off on the general public?   ROFL!

When the picked up flag is compounded by other poor calls/no-calls that followed later in the game it becomes easier to think something else is at play.   For years many have thought there was way too much money involved in the NFL to leave it all up to chance.   Doubtful that any of us here are part of that inner circle so we have no idea what that might entail.  What is obvious when things like the Dallas game happen it becomes easier to argue it and tougher to argue against it.

I do not know that Dallas will lose this weekend, but if they do not lose against the Packers they will lose in the conference title game against who ever they face.   OR does the NFL owe the Cowboys a home SB game?  Yah AZ is practically a home game for them.... no?

I hope Green bay defeats Dallas Sunday. I have no allegiance to either team but it hurts the game as a whole when obvious fouls (at eats 4) are ignored or missed and they decide the game.

In review: It is clear on the video replay that, Dallas committed 3 obvious fouls (holding, PI and unsportsmanlike conduct) on one play and then an obvious and flagrant holding call on a 4th-and-6 play that could have ended Dallas' final posession (t would have made it 4th and 16 with 5 minutes to go) was also missed.

Tf you argue that there was no pass interference ..well...it was beyond obvious but it doesn't matter what we think, a ref called it...and an other ref with a poorer view overruled it..On the video, he was wrong. The defender pushed the receiver away from the ball.

..The penalty would have been at the Dallas 30 yard line..1st down Lions with Detroit holding a 3-point lead with 7 1/2 minutes to go..

The NFL apologizes to Detroit and they should. But Dallas wins because of four missed calls on two late game plays.

No one can realistic argue that the four missed calls didn't decide the game.

Bad calls took the ball from Detroit and a bad call allowed the winning TD to be scored for dallas. No opinion.

The NFL said it was bad call. THe 3 missed calls on one played were 'referees discretion'..the refs CHOSE not to call any of

the 4 fouls, even though one ref obviously (he threw a flag) saw one of them. How does that sound?

For the sake of the sport and its credibility, Dallas needs to lose now.

A championship now would always be questioned and a wide universe of conspiracies would live for generations.

A bit grandiose don't you think? There are bad calls and non calls in every game

I see you didn't include the obvious pass interference on Witton earlier in the game in the endzone

Because the NFL would never be so arrogant to think they could pass one off on the general public?   ROFL!

When the picked up flag is compounded by other poor calls/no-calls that followed later in the game it becomes easier to think something else is at play.   For years many have thought there was way too much money involved in the NFL to leave it all up to chance.   Doubtful that any of us here are part of that inner circle so we have no idea what that might entail.  What is obvious when things like the Dallas game happen it becomes easier to argue it and tougher to argue against it.

I do not know that Dallas will lose this weekend, but if they do not lose against the Packers they will lose in the conference title game against who ever they face.   OR does the NFL owe the Cowboys a home SB game?  Yah AZ is practically a home game for them.... no?

I don't know, maybe it makes me naive, but the conspiracy theory lines of thought seem implausible to me. Too many moving parts in a football game to control. 

There is a lot of money involved, but leaving it "up to chance" as you put it doesn't really impact that. The NFL will be paid by CBS no matter who is in the Super Bowl. 

I guess if I really felt like it was rigged in any way, I'd just stop watching. 

If they called the PI/holding penalty against Hitchens, Detroit gets a first down and probably score a TD or field goal to extend their lead. If they call the hold on Leary it's 4th and 16 on the other side of the 50, they have to punt, and although Detroit may not score, will at least eat up some clock. When it comes down to it, the refs completely swung the momentum of that game is Dallas' favor. People can say the Lions shouldn't have given up a 14 point lead. Maybe if the refs got those calls right they wouldn't have. 

Oh good lord.....you really don't think the missed penalties the the Lions committed? And the flag was picked up because it should have never been thrown in the first place. If the NFL wants Dallas to win so badly, why do they so often just miss the playoffs?

I hope Green bay defeats Dallas Sunday. I have no allegiance to either team but it hurts the game as a whole when obvious fouls (at eats 4) are ignored or missed and they decide the game.In review: It is clear on the video replay that, Dallas committed 3 obvious fouls (holding, PI and unsportsmanlike conduct) on one play and then an obvious and flagrant holding call on a 4th-and-6 play that could have ended Dallas' final posession (t would have made it 4th and 16 with 5 minutes to go) was also missed.Tf you argue that there was no pass interference ..well...it was beyond obvious but it doesn't matter what we think, a ref called it...and an other ref with a poorer view overruled it..On the video, he was wrong. The defender pushed the receiver away from the ball...The penalty would have been at the Dallas 30 yard line..1st down Lions with Detroit holding a 3-point lead with 7 1/2 minutes to go..The NFL apologizes to Detroit and they should. But Dallas wins because of four missed calls on two late game plays.No one can realistic argue that the four missed calls didn't decide the game.Bad calls took the ball from Detroit and a bad call allowed the winning TD to be scored for dallas. No opinion.The NFL said it was bad call. THe 3 missed calls on one played were 'referees discretion'..the refs CHOSE not to call any ofthe 4 fouls, even though one ref obviously (he threw a flag) saw one of them. How does that sound?For the sake of the sport and its credibility, Dallas needs to lose now.A championship now would always be questioned and a wide universe of conspiracies would live for generations.

First Mississippi is going to get a NFL team, now this. You sir, are on a roll.

& what was the Gov. of Jersey doing hanging with, hugging, & jumping around with Jerry Jones for???

If im a Giants fan im livid...

Different game, but why can't the governor of NJ like the Cowboys?  He said he's been a lifelong fan, didn't he? So he becomes governor of NJ, which had no football team named New Jersey anythings and he's supposed to abandon his beloved Cowboys for which of the NY teams? 

I'm glad that Suh and the gang are no longer in the playoffs.  They're dirty players assembled into a team that pose a danger of injury to your favorite Colts players.  How fair would it have been had Aaron Rodgers been seriously injured while Suh warmed his feet on Rodgers' defenseless body?

Different game, but why can't the governor of NJ like the Cowboys?  He said he's been a lifelong fan, didn't he? So he becomes governor of NJ, which had no football team named New Jersey anythings and he's supposed to abandon his beloved Cowboys for which of the NY teams? 

I'm glad that Suh and the gang are no longer in the playoffs.  They're dirty players assembled into a team that pose a danger of injury to your favorite Colts players.  How fair would it have been had Aaron Rodgers been seriously injured while Suh warmed his feet on Rodgers' defenseless body?

I don't care really either way about what Christie does...

But I do think it is silly for an elected official to be in the owner's suite, dancing around like a silly girl, of a team that is a divisional rival of the team whose team plays in, & whose fan base lives in, the state that you reside over... 

I think it's bad taste on Christie's part.

Like I said in another post, root for the Cowboys all you want, run around in Cowboys underwear with scratch & sniff tattoos of Dez Bryant & Michael Irwin on your booty as far as I'm concerned...

I would just do that in the privacy of my own home instead of on TV, if I am an elected official...

I mean do you think it'd be a class move for Mike Pence to frottage up on Craft then run out on the field & high five Brady this weekend if the Patriots win???

It's a silly notion since it is just silly sports, but sports equals serious life altering money & revenue, so...

How much $$$ did Indiana tax payers get billed for Lucas???

But I agree 100% that Suh is probably one of the dirtier players in the league...

That doesn't change the fact that there was some border line suspicious play calling during that playoff game...