Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Thoughts On Luck

To me a quarterback is made based on the coaching staff around him. I always wonder what would have happened if Alex Smith, JaMarcus Russell or how some other draft bust would have ended up if they were drafted by someone else.

Look how the Patriots have turned draft busts into contenders. They usually pick up free agents that have failed with other teams.

Also their work ethic. That is basically the reason why we drafted Peyton. I remember hearing something about he interview between Peyton and Leaf. Peyton was strictly about getting to work and Leaf talked about going to Vegas with his new contract.

I want to think positive about Luck but its a big risk and Peyton is well....Peyton! One of the best quarterbacks of all time! If we let him go, he will just go turn another franchise around and win for them. Luck will probably take like 3 years to develop.

I would just like to have them both on the same team but that would hurt our cap room, right? Whats the worst that Luck will do? refuse to play? He wont play anyway, peyton will. Plus he looks up to Peyton anyway...

Luck wont have many weapons though, Oobie. Maybe his 1st or 2nd years, but after that im pretty sure wayne,clark, maybe garcon if hes offered a big contract in FA this year,and probably addai (not that hes as important as the other 3) will be gone. Thats why keeping both luck and manning will be a bad idea, its possible, but not cap friendly. we could use that cap space to bring in more weapons for luck in the future.

Luck wont have many weapons though, Oobie. Maybe his 1st or 2nd years, but after that im pretty sure wayne,clark, maybe garcon if hes offered a big contract in FA this year,and probably addai (not that hes as important as the other 3) will be gone. Thats why keeping both luck and manning will be a bad idea, its possible, but not cap friendly. we could use that cap space to bring in more weapons for luck in the future.

Luck right now is playing with no weapons and we would still have tamme , collie, and i think out of all those free agents garcon would be the one they wont let go because of the year he has had, but the draft class of wide recievers is prety deep and they might be able to get one in 2nd or 3rd round that would be pretty good imo.

Luck is a one and a life time QB prospect and has been the most pro ready QB since Elway. I would love to have him and Manning and we can. The colts are able to keep Manning and sign Luck and still have enough cap room.

If Luck is a "once in a lifetime QB prospect" as you supposedly think, then how come John Elway was drafted only 28 years ealier? You are using terminology incorrectly to try to make a point.

Luck right now is playing with no weapons and we would still have tamme , collie, and i think out of all those free agents garcon would be the one they wont let go because of the year he has had, but the draft class of wide recievers is prety deep and they might be able to get one in 2nd or 3rd round that would be pretty good imo.

He has several weapons and an excellent team at Stanford.

Completely agree with you on needing to surround Luck with weapons so trading Peyton remains the best option for the Colts. And yes I still do think we could trade him since a team like KC would love to have him and would be willing to pay him that bonus he's due. We could then use the cap space saved to go after a young stud TE like Jermichael Finley to make Luck even more excited about coming to play here.

If Luck is a "once in a lifetime QB prospect" as you supposedly think, then how come John Elway was drafted only 28 years ealier? You are using terminology incorrectly to try to make a point.

He means "once in awhile" prospect. "can't miss prospect". and Yes, Luck is all of those mentioned... didn't Luck just overshadow all of Elway's records in record time (3years vs Elways 4)... hmm.... yeah, Luck certainly has nothing going for him. I'd say his point is totally correct and spot on accurate.

He means "once in awhile" prospect. "can't miss prospect". and Yes, Luck is all of those mentioned... didn't Luck just overshadow all of Elway's records in record time (3years vs Elways 4)... hmm.... yeah, Luck certainly has nothing going for him. I'd say his point is totally correct and spot on accurate.

I'd say you are blinded by your love of Andrew Luck.

No prospect is a can't miss prospect.

Elway's records at Stanford weren't as impressive as you say considering that Sam Bradford had better numbers in college than Luck which means they are better than Elway's too.

I'd say you are blinded by your love of Andrew Luck.

No prospect is a can't miss prospect.

Elway's records at Stanford weren't as impressive as you say considering that Sam Bradford had better numbers in college than Luck which means they are better than Elway's too.

Yes, Luck is a can't miss prospect. All experts have already said Luck is going to be a "good" QB to build your franchise around as a sure bet, whether he wins Superbowls or not is up to him... but by the logic that he is guarenteed to not be a bust, then Yes, he is a can't miss prospect.

You can say all you want, but perhaps it is you who are blindsided by your hatred for Luck. He is going to succeed.

Luck has the intelligence, he calls some of his own plays at the line (just like Peyton), he has a father who is "in the know," (ie. just like the Manning brothers with Archie), he is both quick and accurate, he possesses phenomenal leadership, he is humble, he has demonstrated a plethora of throwing routes, he is a leading candidate for the Heisman, and he elected to stay in college last year despite possibly being the 1st overall pick in last year's draft.

The only knock I've heard on him so far is his arm strength, but some analysts scoff at that remark because haters are just finding something to hate on to voice a difference of opinion to generate interesting discussion points. Furthermore, Peyton Manning was also knocked for not having the arm strength Ryan Leaf possessed. We all know how that turned out!

Yes, Luck is a can't miss prospect. Worse case scenario? He turns out mediocre, but that's still not a miss in my book.

Yes, Luck is a can't miss prospect. All experts have already said Luck is going to be a "good" QB to build your franchise around as a sure bet, whether he wins Superbowls or not is up to him... but by the logic that he is guarenteed to not be a bust, then Yes, he is a can't miss prospect. You can say all you want, but perhaps it is you who are blindsided by your hatred for Luck. He is going to succeed.

Give me evidence of every single expert on Earth saying that Luck is a can't miss prospect. That's right, you can't. Not every expert thinks he is a can't miss prospect, so you are wrong when you site that as your source.

Yes, Luck is a can't miss prospect. All experts have already said Luck is going to be a "good" QB

The same Experts that said Russell would take over the league? and Cam Newton would be a bust? Marvin Harrison was to small to play anything but slot? Freeney was to small?, Boldin was to slow to succeed? Jerry Rice was to slow and played poor competition? If what the experts said where true, the Colts would have been finished years ago, Brady would have 9 rings in his career, Russell would be a All Pro, Adrian Peterson would be out of the league by now from injuries Reggie Bush would be living up to being the next Barry Sanders, Randy Moss would be in jail because of his character issues and Ryan Leaf would have Peyton like numbers.

The "experts" don't know anything for certain, so stop acting as if they know all, it is likely that Luck will have a good career but Cmon there are other QBs in this draft! What is the point of having a pro ready qb if he wont play for 3 years. Unless you are for trading Manning, which lets face it even those who are "pro Luck" have to admit is a ridiculous idea.

Why does everyone keep using the "cap friendly" argument? It would be around a 4 year 22 million contract just like Cam Newton. Peyton's option is 28 million, so we'd have about 34 million into 1) our quarterbacks 2) a security blanket if Peyton isn't healthy 3) Our franchise QB after PM. We're paying Kerry Collins 7 million dollars and he's retiring again after this year so Luck would take that cap space. We still have cap left so we'd be able to most likely sign most of our free agents back, even though we're not gonna resign them all if we had the cap too or not. We're never active in free agency anyways so why are people acting like we need to save cap room for unrestricted free agents?

As a Browns fan on here I pray and hope the Colts will make a deal with the Browns for Luck. The Browns need a franchise face more than any team in the league. I just registered so I can not start a new topic about the trade. The Browns have the ammunition to trade for Luck and give the Colts a blockbuster deal to instantly rebuild their team in one draft.

As a Browns fan on here I pray and hope the Colts will make a deal with the Browns for Luck. The Browns need a franchise face more than any team in the league. I just registered so I can not start a new topic about the trade. The Browns have the ammunition to trade for Luck and give the Colts a blockbuster deal to instantly rebuild their team in one draft.

I want to trade with the Browns, but from the #2 overall pick. Unless we start winning games though, we will get the #1 overall pick.

The same Experts that said Russell would take over the league? and Cam Newton would be a bust? Marvin Harrison was to small to play anything but slot? Freeney was to small?, Boldin was to slow to succeed? Jerry Rice was to slow and played poor competition? If what the experts said where true, the Colts would have been finished years ago, Brady would have 9 rings in his career, Russell would be a All Pro, Adrian Peterson would be out of the league by now from injuries Reggie Bush would be living up to being the next Barry Sanders, Randy Moss would be in jail because of his character issues and Ryan Leaf would have Peyton like numbers.

The "experts" don't know anything for certain, so stop acting as if they know all, it is likely that Luck will have a good career but Cmon there are other QBs in this draft! What is the point of having a pro ready qb if he wont play for 3 years. Unless you are for trading Manning, which lets face it even those who are "pro Luck" have to admit is a ridiculous idea.

You take those in the draft who will give you the best shot at winning. Luck represents that. So we will be taking him. Manning can't be traded because of his contract.. but we could rework a trade to his liking if he says the magic words and redo the contract. Most likely Manning will play next year for us and that will be his last. I think its expensive to pay the $28million option for someone who we know will not be a Colt in 2 years, but the man deserves every penny for where he has taken us. But the future is with Luck.

You take those in the draft who will give you the best shot at winning. Luck represents that. So we will be taking him. Manning can't be traded because of his contract.. but we could rework a trade to his liking if he says the magic words and redo the contract. Most likely Manning will play next year for us and that will be his last. I think its expensive to pay the $28million option for someone who we know will not be a Colt in 2 years, but the man deserves every penny for where he has taken us. But the future is with Luck.

How does a backup give us a good shot of winning?

Since we're talking about Luck I'd like to mention that the argument of Luck being the best prospect since Elway is over played and may not be accurate. Matt Ryan had a better projection coming out of college than Elway did, and Manning was on par with Elway. So if you want to say that Luck is the best prospect since Matt Ryan, that's fine. This doesn't take anything away from Luck, it just adds some clarity that he's not a once in a generation player.

As far as going off of what the experts have to say about Luck, let's throw that stuff out of the window. They've been wrong too many times to be a valid resource. Yes, they are right sometimes, but if I want to take advice from someone, I need them to be reliable more often than being hit or miss. I would recommend watching Luck, RGII and Barkley play and compare them evenly. How do they handle pressure? How accurate are they? What attributes does one have that the others don't? What attributes will transfer well in the NFL? What systems do they play in? Do they go through their read progressions? What team strengths and weaknesses do they have that may give one an advantage ove the other QB's? Answering these questions is probably a good starting point.

Luck is surrounded by a hardcore o-line, a quality running game, and some pretty good wide receivers. Put him behind our oline so he has one and a half seconds to read a defense and he will look no better than Kerry Collin, Curtis Painter, and Dan Orlovsky. Only Peyton can take the lemons that we call an oline, and turn them into lemonade. All this hooplah about him being a 'can't miss prospect' is just that, hooplah.There is no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to the draft. I really like the Pats method of drafting, trade down, stockpile picks, increase your odds of hitting big.

Trade down, draft RGIII or Barkley, use the other picks to solidify the line, find a quality corner, and draft a Haloti Ngata type NT.

Luck is surrounded by a hardcore o-line, a quality running game, and some pretty good wide receivers. Put him behind our oline so he has one and a half seconds to read a defense and he will look no better than Kerry Collin, Curtis Painter, and Dan Orlovsky. Only Peyton can take the lemons that we call an oline, and turn them into lemonade. All this hooplah about him being a 'can't miss prospect' is just that, hooplah.There is no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to the draft. I really like the Pats method of drafting, trade down, stockpile picks, increase your odds of hitting big.

Trade down, draft RGIII or Barkley, use the other picks to solidify the line, find a quality corner, and draft a Haloti Ngata type NT.

The O-line is bad in its current state, but is projected to be better with the return of healthy players. We may also draft additonal O-linemen to shore it up even further.

I would argue that Orlovsky and Painter would struggle playing for many teams in the NFL and not just the Colts. And becuase they've struggled, it doesn't mean that Luck would struggle. All we know is the Painter and Orlovsky are not high caliber NFL quarterbacks.

The quarterback position is one position where you have to be extremely careful in who you draft, as it is arguably the most important position. With that said, if you project Luck to be the best available quarterback yet choose to trade the pick and pick the second or third best quarterback, it just doesn't make much sense. I understand that that trading the first pick would net you more draft picks, however, if your plan is to get a quarterback then that's one position that you have to get the best one.

How does a backup give us a good shot of winning?

He won't be a backup when Manning is gone... kind of like this year; could have used Luck, a young QB with a great future vs a once great QB who has nerve problems that relate to his tricep/throwing arm that represent a shaky future.

He won't be a backup when Manning is gone... kind of like this year; could have used Luck, a young QB with a great future vs a once great QB who has nerve problems that relate to his tricep/throwing arm that represent a shaky future.

Dude, I totally wish you could marry Andrew Luck, or at least make out with him.

Dude, I totally wish you could marry Andrew Luck, or at least make out with him.

I made out with Luck twice, after 3 unbelievable dates at McDonalds, I proposed to him. He turned me down though, I bought him a Big Mac value meal and the guy had the audacity to deny my proposal for marriage. :facepalm:

Okay this thread is just getting full of Luck haters.

My question is why are people so afraid of us to get him? Do people not get the idea that the NFL is a business and if you can secure your next 10/ maybe 15 years at the most important position in the game, why not?

You people want us to go all in these next 2-3 years and HOPE to get a championship? What happens after that? We go back into obscurity for the next 5-10 years after Peyton is gone and all of our fan base can sit and reminisce about the good ol' days right? No. I want this team to be good the next 15 years with Peyton for the next 2-3 and the years after with Luck.

No one is afraid to draft luck. If you can make your team exceptionally better OVERALL , why not do it? Look how being so qb dependant has done to us? Trading the pick and getting ANYTHING you want back from is better than drafting a backup qb 1st over for his 1st 2-3 years. and its not like Luck is the only franchise qb in this draft... There will be plenty more to come in the next few years. I personally think matt barkley has more upside than luck. We could snag him with one of the many picks we get back in the trade

No one is afraid to draft luck. If you can make your team exceptionally better OVERALL , why not do it? Look how being so qb dependant has done to us? Trading the pick and getting ANYTHING you want back from is better than drafting a backup qb 1st over for his 1st 2-3 years. and its not like Luck is the only franchise qb in this draft... There will be plenty more to come in the next few years. I personally think matt barkley has more upside than luck. We could snag him with one of the many picks we get back in the trade

LOL right. look at what having a QB dependent franchise has gotten us. The most wins out of any team in the past decade with 2 SB trips and 1 win.

Barkley displays less arm strength and struggles throwing to his left (I as well as the "experts" have pointed this out as well).

I have seen both Luck and Barkley play and they both have strong arms. Barkleys actually looks like it has more zip, and has no problem throwing to his left. Stop reading what "experts" say and watch him yourself. and barkleys a year younger and imo has way more upside as hes a bit more raw. There is just no point to waste a 1st ovr pick on a qb when the team clearly has holes everywhere. We could take barkley with one of the picks in the trade

You wanna take a qb with the 1st pick and handicap this franchise cap-wise with two extremely expensive qbs on the roster? If we draft luck he will lose many games because of the defense. We imo have to trade the pick and fix the defense. Why are you and everyone else so enamored by luck? Is it because of his catchy name? His "prototypical" size? Watching him there is nothing that stand out.

I have seen both Luck and Barkley play and they both have strong arms. Barkleys actually looks like it has more zip, and has no problem throwing to his left. Stop reading what "experts" say and watch him yourself. and barkleys a year younger and imo has way more upside as hes a bit more raw. There is just no point to waste a 1st ovr pick on a qb when the team clearly has holes everywhere. We could take barkley with one of the picks in the trade

I can gurantee you I have seen more tape of both Luck and Barkley than you and have come to the conclusion that Luck is better. I don't just look at arm strength either as there is a whole lot more to be studied. I've worked as a mentor at some camps here in the city as well at my former high school, Warren Central. I'm not saying Im anymore knowledgeable than the experts but seeing as I played the position as well as coached the position, I have a little understanding of it. and understand what makes a QB good. Luck's moblity outside and inside the pocket is better than Barkley's. Luck has done more with less talented recievers as well. Yes he has a pretty good line but Barkley's isn't a joke either. Barkley also makes mistakes that QB's at any level shouldnt be making.

Ie. the stanford game where he threw all the way across his body and had the pass intercepted.

And no, Luck would not handicapp the franchise money wise at all nor would he really cost anymore than taking Barkley would. Read the new Rookie CBA rules before you make that jump.

Taking him first over will be alot more pricey than say taking barkley 5th overall. I know the new cba rules and it will still be very expensive since pm is on the team and his cap hit. I have seen ALOT of tape on both and the same could be said what you said about luck for barkley. I have seen some of the dumbest decisions and interceptions thrown by luck this season as it progressed. Barkley turned it around and played great at the end of the season. His arm strength, mobility, awareness, and reading defenses have improved to the point where you cant say luck is "so much" better. Like i said , you know what the first ovr pick could bring us if we trade it? We can get a legit defense and a qb that is more raw and has hardly any drop off in talent than luck.

Okay this thread is just getting full of Luck haters.

My question is why are people so afraid of us to get him? Do people not get the idea that the NFL is a business and if you can secure your next 10/ maybe 15 years at the most important position in the game, why not?

You people want us to go all in these next 2-3 years and HOPE to get a championship? What happens after that? We go back into obscurity for the next 5-10 years after Peyton is gone and all of our fan base can sit and reminisce about the good ol' days right? No. I want this team to be good the next 15 years with Peyton for the next 2-3 and the years after with Luck.

What I hate are silly statements such as your first two lines. You are offensively miscasting a reasonable difference of opinion as fear/hatred.

Peyton Manning is one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, and the Colts are incredibly fortunate to have him. My opinion is that most of the Luck advocates are naively ASSUMING that Luck is just as good, and that he can slip right in, take Peytons place, and we won't have to feel the pain of rebuilding for a long time. I beg to differ.

Luck is an unknown quantity, and the odd's of him being in the same league as Peyton are pretty slim. Peyton is a know quantity, and IF he is healthy I would expect him to continue as a top level QB until age diminishes his throwing ability too much to be effective - which may not be for another 7 years for all any of us know. The man wins with his brain, not his legs. I'd rather see the Colts gamble on Peytons health and ride him for all he is worth - then rebuild - rather than throw away Peyton and gamble on an unknown quantity. If the Colts are horrendous for 2-3 years after Peyton retires - whenever that may be - so what. It doesn't take long to rebuild in this league, and that price is one that I am more than willing to pay.

That being said, the Colts FO has said repeatedly for 3 years now that they will take "the right QB" in the draft if he is out there to sit behind Peyton. Who says that that is Luck? I'll trust the FO to make a good decision, and not assume - like you apparently do - that fans are more capable of evaluating talent then they are.

Luck and Kalil are both considered once in a decade prospects. If the colts nabbed anyone other than Luck OR Kalil, I would give up any and all hope in our FO.

This is a direct quote from Polian.

I think we need an infusion of talent at every position but offensive tackle. Young talent in Castonzo and Ijalana.

http://www.coltzilla...cember-19-2011/

Much to the chagrin of a few posters here, there is absolutely zero chance we pick Kalil so people need to get this crazy idea out of their heads.