Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Thoughts On Luck

Give me evidence of every single expert on Earth saying that Luck is a can't miss prospect. That's right, you can't. Not every expert thinks he is a can't miss prospect, so you are wrong when you site that as your source.

We'd spend the next 6 months giving you all the "evidence" of Luck being a can't miss.

Actually, it would take ALOT less time for you to find "evidence" of why Luck won't be successful at the next level. I might take you 5 minutes.

Its ok if you don't like Luck. But its a fact that about 95% of the "experts" think he'll be a successful NFL QB. I can't remember the last time a QB was touted as a "can't miss" this highly.

Not even Manning!

I'd rather see the Colts suck it up and pay them both. It will only be a couple years and I think , overall, its the best move. We can address the roster in the draft and FA.

The QB position, now and into the future are too important and difficult to find quality. Lock that position up first.

Between injuries and the loss of manning, we'll be better next year.

Continue to add to the OL, def backfield, and OL and we'll have a descent team with a QB that can lead THIS offense.

Okay this thread is just getting full of Luck haters.

My question is why are people so afraid of us to get him? Do people not get the idea that the NFL is a business and if you can secure your next 10/ maybe 15 years at the most important position in the game, why not?

You people want us to go all in these next 2-3 years and HOPE to get a championship? What happens after that? We go back into obscurity for the next 5-10 years after Peyton is gone and all of our fan base can sit and reminisce about the good ol' days right? No. I want this team to be good the next 15 years with Peyton for the next 2-3 and the years after with Luck.

We don't drift back into obscurity. We are fortifying our weaker positions and setting up the building blocks to multiple Super Bowl runs when we draft a QB after Peyton leaves, he won't have as much pressure on him to pull a win out of his *** and make up for others lack of presence, deficiency and incompetence to where as if we draft Andrew and he is as proclaimed, we will be drafting 26+overall and continue to have the problems we are having now and having our whole team being reliant on and revolve around him.

The way I see it, 1st, 2nd, 3rd you draft starters whilst the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th rounds you draft depth.

We don't drift back into obscurity. We are fortifying our weaker positions and setting up the building blocks to multiple Super Bowl runs when we draft a QB after Peyton leaves, he won't have as much pressure on him to pull a win out of his *** and make up for others lack of presence, deficiency and incompetence to where as if we draft Andrew and he is as proclaimed, we will be drafting 26+overall and continue to have the problems we are having now and having our whole team being reliant on and revolve around him.

The way I see it, 1st, 2nd, 3rd you draft starters whilst the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th rounds you draft depth.

Okay and if we keep Peyton alone and go out these next few seasons on top, we are going to be finishing 26th+ every year too. With that said, how in the world do you propose we get a good QB that high? Don't come back and say "well Rodgers fell that far so it could happen again!" because A. Rodgers had a lot of work that needed to be done on him before he was even ready to be a starter. B. He fell EXTREMELY far down the in the draft, the chances of us getting a good QB at that position are highly unlikely.

Secondly, don't try and say well we could trade down because that would essentially be un-doing the works of the possible trade this year that so many people want us to do. Not to mention there was a team by the name of the Jets that did that most recently and look at where they are sitting at with Sanchize.

Oh and just a little FYI, Polian more than likely wouldn't trade the top pick anyway.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/32165/polian-not-high-on-trading-a-top-pick

We'd spend the next 6 months giving you all the "evidence" of Luck being a can't miss.

Actually, it would take ALOT less time for you to find "evidence" of why Luck won't be successful at the next level. I might take you 5 minutes.

Its ok if you don't like Luck. But its a fact that about 95% of the "experts" think he'll be a successful NFL QB. I can't remember the last time a QB was touted as a "can't miss" this highly.

Not even Manning!

I'd rather see the Colts suck it up and pay them both. It will only be a couple years and I think , overall, its the best move. We can address the roster in the draft and FA.

The QB position, now and into the future are too important and difficult to find quality. Lock that position up first.

Between injuries and the loss of manning, we'll be better next year.

Continue to add to the OL, def backfield, and OL and we'll have a descent team with a QB that can lead THIS offense.

If we keep both on the roster, theres no way we can get any playmakers worth signing in FA. Too much money will already be spent on TWO qbs, its too pricey, even with the new CBA rules..

If we keep both on the roster, theres no way we can get any playmakers worth signing in FA. Too much money will already be spent on TWO qbs, its too pricey, even with the new CBA rules..

What will the #1 choice get, 4 years @ 22-24 million? What did Kerry Collins get for a couple games and then out this past season? (4 mil, 2.75 against the cap) There's room. Besides, Colts don't sign FA's. Corey Simon disease I call it. They'll build from the draft and reduced rookie salary from the CBA.

What will the #1 choice get, 4 years @ 22-24 million? What did Kerry Collins get for a couple games and then out this past season? (4 mil, 2.75 against the cap) There's room. Besides, Colts don't sign FA's. Corey Simon disease I call it. They'll build from the draft and reduced rookie salary from the CBA.

I was simply referring to WoolMagnets FA signing case. Still, 4 yr 22-24 mil is still too much for a back-up qb. We dont need that much money tied up in qbs.

I was simply referring to WoolMagnets FA signing case. Still, 4 yr 22-24 mil is still too much for a back-up qb. We dont need that much money tied up in qbs.

Up until Manning's injury, I agree with you. I live for the days we carried one backup (Sorgi) ans clipboard holder, second pair of QB eyes. However, Manning isn't young anymore, and has never been a quick healer. Every incident has had complications and setbacks in his recovery. These things worsen with age. If Manning gets injured again, we will go goose egg again with a diddly poo backup just like Painter/Collins/Orlovsky. We need a capable backup that can learn and run this offense. Any decent backup will cost. I'd prefer that backup to be the next in line, not just a decent next man up then have to go hunting for years or decades for a franchise QB like the Dolphins, Browns, Raiders and others.

Who knows, if Peyton gets injured in some way for any length of time, he may decide to hang 'em up and raise his kids.

Up until Manning's injury, I agree with you. I live for the days we carried one backup (Sorgi) ans clipboard holder, second pair of QB eyes. However, Manning isn't young anymore, and has never been a quick healer. Every incident has had complications and setbacks in his recovery. These things worsen with age. If Manning gets injured again, we will go goose egg again with a diddly poo backup just like Painter/Collins/Orlovsky. We need a capable backup that can learn and run this offense. Any decent backup will cost. I'd prefer that backup to be the next in line, not just a decent next man up then have to go hunting for years or decades for a franchise QB like the Dolphins, Browns, Raiders and others.

Who knows, if Peyton gets injured in some way for any length of time, he may decide to hang 'em up and raise his kids.

I (and probably you) dont know if he was a quick healer before, since he was never injured in his football career until now.

Yes but the big point is, Will you spend a first overall pick on a back-up? knowing this team has wholes everywhere that you can fix if you trade that pick? You dont need to break the bank on a good back-up, but you also dont need to use a 1st ovr pick on it. Theres very good qbs coming out of this draft. IMO a better option is to trade the pick and pick up matt barkley, RG3, or whoever you want, while you can still fix the defense with the many picks you get in return. In the end, you get mannings replacement and a respectable young defense to go along with him.

I (and probably you) dont know if he was a quick healer before, since he was never injured in his football career until now.

Yes but the big point is, Will you spend a first overall pick on a back-up? knowing this team has wholes everywhere that you can fix if you trade that pick? You dont need to break the bank on a good back-up, but you also dont need to use a 1st ovr pick on it. Theres very good qbs coming out of this draft. IMO a better option is to trade the pick and pick up matt barkley, RG3, or whoever you want, while you can still fix the defense with the many picks you get in return. In the end, you get mannings replacement and a respectable young defense to go along with him.

Peyton had infected knee bursa sac in Feb of 2008 and required two surgeries and until august 26 to get on the field and was very rusty for more than a few games.

I think any of those 1st round QB is going to cost in the same ball park. This isn't Sam Bradford stuff anymore where he gets 78 million and a few picks down gets 30 million. Besides, doesn't teams get rookie pool allotments to sign drafts, higher picks demand higher allotments? And you'll still have to use your 1st pick on Mannings backup/replacement.

I think I'll do my next research on how much each team pays their backup QB, and then average the teams in the top 16. I don't think many teams will spend many picks on 1st pick anymore. we'll see. I don't think a team getting a ton of picks will have allotments enough to sign a bunch of high round draft picks either. I wish I had more info on the rookie salary allotment pool, but the new CBA seems to be changing the landscape.

Peyton had infected knee bursa sac in Feb of 2008 and required two surgeries and until august 26 to get on the field and was very rusty for more than a few games.

I think any of those 1st round QB is going to cost in the same ball park. This isn't Sam Bradford stuff anymore where he gets 78 million and a few picks down gets 30 million. Besides, doesn't teams get rookie pool allotments to sign drafts, higher picks demand higher allotments? And you'll still have to use your 1st pick on Mannings backup/replacement.

I think I'll do my next research on how much each team pays their backup QB, and then average the teams in the top 16. I don't think many teams will spend many picks on 1st pick anymore. we'll see. I don't think a team getting a ton of picks will have allotments enough to sign a bunch of high round draft picks either. I wish I had more info on the rookie salary allotment pool, but the new CBA seems to be changing the landscape.

You didn't get the point but ok. Yes I know about the CBA rules, but i can assure you the 7th overall pick(where the next qb after luck is projected to go) is alot less money than the 1st overall pick. By being injured i meant Physically hurt in a game and had to miss time. In 2008 he had an infection

You didn't get the point but ok. Yes I know about the CBA rules, but i can assure you the 7th overall pick(where the next qb after luck is projected to go) is alot less money than the 1st overall pick. By being injured i meant Physically hurt in a game and had to miss time. In 2008 he had an infection

sorry, I guess I didn't get it. But I'm willing ti entertain how much cheaper #7 will be, total and per year vs. #1. and how many picks we get doing it, and how much it will cost to pay them. also, my point was about Manning's healing speed with his knee, not whether it was infection or some other malady. Should an older Manning, who is showing signs of wear and tear get hurt again (on or off the field, infection or physical mishap), there's no telling how long it takes him to heal, or the future from there. But in no circumstance do I want a repeat of 2011, ever again.

This is simply not true. Last yr. Newton got about 4.5 mil. per yr.. the 7th pick(Aldon Smith) recieved a 4 yr. 14.38 million $ contract. About 3.6 mil per yr.. Less than a million a yr. difference.