Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The turnovers need to be cleaned up

RockThatBlue

Not trying to be captain obvious here as I'm sure most agree. But its honestly stunning that with the amount of turnovers we have that we are still winning.

We have had what, nearly 20 turnovers the last 5 or so games they said during the broadcast? That's crazy. And most are fumbles.

If we hope to win it all this year we gotta clean that up.

It's very very disappointing to see all of these turnovers.  We can cut half of them if Luck will quit trying to be Superman sometimes and just take the dag gone sack when he's in the grasp.  Boom Herron appears to be working on his part. I just can't see us beating anyone of substance in the playoffs if we continue to play this sloppy.

I think that we all agree that the turnovers need to stop.

The good thing is that we are winning, even despite all of the turnovers. Overall, all that matters now is that we get into the playoffs, and hopefully get in with confidence and a few good, clean games under our belt.

It's very very disappointing to see all of these turnovers. We can cut half of them if Luck will quit trying to be Superman sometimes and just take the dag gone sack when he's in the grasp. Boom Herron appears to be working on his part. I just can't see us beating anyone of substance in the playoffs if we continue to play this sloppy.

Great QB: Gift & Curse

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning all just like Andrew. They believe there's a play to be made every down

Correction: Winning against the bottom feeder teams

Elite Teams are spanking us

We're winning against the bottom feeder teams (Jags, Redskins, Titans) and against the mid-tier teams, (Texans, Bengals, Browns, Ravens). We have been beaten by the Patriots, Broncos, Steelers, and Eagles. The only outlier there is the Steelers, a team we should have beaten. I would also argue that we should've won the Eagles game.

I think we are doing what we are capable of. I know some will say we should win every game, but that's not realistic. We did not get in the "arms" race with the Broncos and the Patriots in the off season -- both teams that greatly upgraded their teams, especially on defense. 

I've never coached football (was a cornerback/safety in high school...which means I couldn't catch) so this is an honest question;

How does Chuck / Pep stop the fumbling? Is it physical thing (3 points of contact)? Is it a cultural thing (coaches don't preach it enough)? Seriously. What are we doing wrong?

I've never coached football (was a cornerback/safety in high school...which means I couldn't catch) so this is an honest question;

How does Chuck / Pep stop the fumbling? Is it physical thing (3 points of contact)? Is it a cultural thing (coaches don't preach it enough)? Seriously. What are we doing wrong?

Same way coaches did in the movie Remember the Titans..... Make the RB walk around with the Ball in their hands all day

Peyton maybe but not Aaron and Tom. They have the best pass attempt to INT ratio in the game.

No they do it too. Just not as costly as Luck. When the Pats played the Packers, Rodgers forced one to Nelson when Revis was all over him. Revis knocked it away though versus a pick

They all do it, it's just how often & costly they do it that separates them all

From a RB standpoint, you can be taught to hold the ball a specific way (high and tight, and during contact, wrap up the ball with both arms) to avoid fumbling. Some RBs just instinctively know how to avoid contact that may result in fumbles, (ala Barry Sanders). This can't be taught.

For QBs, its holding the ball with both hands at your chest. Luck does this well. It's when he's trying too hard to make a play that he becomes careless with the ball. Also, it doesn't help that he has been hit so many times that mathematically, the fumble numbers will be higher.

Luck needs to learn to eat the ball instead of making stupid mistakes. He was still trying to make a play when he lost the ball which resulted in 7pts for the browns. The interception we was throwing off his back foot and should have just thrown it away.

He is a budding superstar but his ego gets him in trouble 

Luck needs to avoid throwing the ball too high, it creates tipped passes and turnovers.  

Say what you want but those interceptions are partially on him.  It's a lot more difficult to make a catch up there and if the catch is not made for some reason, any reason, every defender in the general area behind the receiver has a chance at getting the Int.  

Erring to throw the ball high is causing interceptions.

Your posts are getting worse. That is not a thing for professional athletes.

Umm Denver did that in their training camp and other players would try to surprise you and knock the ball out of your hands.  If you lost the ball you had to go explain to the coaches why you lost the ball.  Yes that is a thing for professional athletes.  

Umm Denver did that in their training camp and other players would try to surprise you and knock the ball out of your hands. If you lost the ball you had to go explain to the coaches why you lost the ball. Yes that is a thing for professional athletes.

So the guys are going to follow them home and hide in the bushes jump out and smack the ball away? It might be a training camp thing(never heard of it) but it is not a December thing

Umm Denver did that in their training camp and other players would try to surprise you and knock the ball out of your hands. If you lost the ball you had to go explain to the coaches why you lost the ball. Yes that is a thing for professional athletes.

I actually went to TC Williams HS (School in the Movie) and an alumni.

Played football and they had our RB walk all through practice with the ball in their hands

So if HS can do it, why can't the pro's? It makes sense. Walk around with the ball all practice and I bet you won't fumble cause you'll get tired of basically being punished and having to carry that thing all day

Brandon Marshall did the same thing after he fumbled earlier in the season.. he did so much so that he carried the ball during talk shows. Lol

So the guys are going to follow them home and hide in the bushes jump out and smack the ball away? It might be a training camp thing(never heard of it) but it is not a December thing

No reason they couldn't be required to carry a ball with them when they are around the Colt's facility and at practice and not doing reps or something.

Of course that isn't going to happen when they go home, but you can still get the message across. 

I actually went to TC Williams HS (School in the Movie) and an alumni.

Played football and they had our RB walk all through practice with the ball in their hands

So if HS can do it, why can't the pro's? It makes sense. Walk around with the ball all practice and I bet you won't fumble cause you'll get tired of basically being punished and having to carry that thing all day

That movie is ruined by the facts which when known make it no longer really that good of a movie.  Especially since every school was integrated at the time, they could have essentially written that movie about whatever school happened to come out to be state champs that year.  

But as for making them carry the ball around all of the time.  They could legitimately do that.

It's very very disappointing to see all of these turnovers.  We can cut half of them if Luck will quit trying to be Superman sometimes and just take the dag gone sack when he's in the grasp.  Boom Herron appears to be working on his part. I just can't see us beating anyone of substance in the playoffs if we continue to play this sloppy.

Yeah krunk that worries me too. Other than that Bengals game, I wanna see INDY play a dominating game from start to finish again. If we turn the ball over that much vs NE in the post season, the Colts are dead in the water. 

INDY needs to start hot vs a good team for once. I love how Jackson, Walden, & Freeman are playing right now sure, but ball security is becoming a reoccurring problem for us & it's starting to scare me. 

Yeah krunk that worries me too. Other than that Bengals game, I wanna see INDY play a dominating game from start to finish again. If we turn the ball over that much vs NE in the post season, the Colts are dead in the water. 

INDY needs to start hot vs a good team for once. I love how Jackson, Walden, & Freeman are playing right now sure, but ball security is becoming a reoccurring problem for us & it's starting to scare me. 

SUN TZU never won a football game

No reason they couldn't be required to carry a ball with them when they are around the Colt's facility and at practice and not doing reps or something.

Of course that isn't going to happen when they go home, but you can still get the message across.

that won't work. its a fundamental way of holding on to the ball. Walking around in your day to day with a football isn't going to help you not fumble on Sunday.

Great QB: Gift & Curse

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning all just like Andrew. They believe there's a play to be made every down

No, the truly great QB's realize when they can make a play and when they can't. Right now Andrew doesn't think there is a play he can't make.

Colts were extremely lucky.30 incompletions and 3 interceptions is why Colts don't beat good teams.How does receiver get behind TOLER on last play of game? He could have started 25 yards ahead of receiver. t oo many bad plays will bury COLTS.Get rid of PAGANO and DC.

Are you really saying its Manusky and Paganos fault that Toler almost gave up a play at the end?

SUN TZU never won a football game

True Carl, but the Seattle Seahawks & Kam Chancellor reminded me last February that I needed to listen to my own signature though. Translation: Brute force, preventing 3rd down conversions, & intimidation win SBs so Mr. Tzu was actually right. 

Just ask Philip Rivers that question vs the Patriots last night. NE's defense kept Brady's offense in that game until Julian Edelman clinched the victory at the end. 

Not trying to be captain obvious here as I'm sure most agree. But its honestly stunning that with the amount of turnovers we have that we are still winning.

We have had what, nearly 20 turnovers the last 5 or so games they said during the broadcast? That's crazy. And most are fumbles.

If we hope to win it all this year we gotta clean that up.

How does one with the nom de plume "LuckIsAwesome" start this topic?

We're winning against the bottom feeder teams (Jags, Redskins, Titans) and against the mid-tier teams, (Texans, Bengals, Browns, Ravens). We have been beaten by the Patriots, Broncos, Steelers, and Eagles. The only outlier there is the Steelers, a team we should have beaten. I would also argue that we should've won the Eagles game.

I think we are doing what we are capable of. I know some will say we should win every game, but that's not realistic. We did not get in the "arms" race with the Broncos and the Patriots in the off season -- both teams that greatly upgraded their teams, especially on defense. 

I agree that as long as INDY can hang onto the ball we can give any team a run for it's money, especially in the 4th QTR where we usually play our best ball before the game ends. 

Don't play the moral victory card or "we should have beaten" the Steelers & Eagles this season. We lost to those 2 teams & to quote HC Mike Tomlin "we don't live in the excuses world."

I have faith in my Colts to fix our ball control issues Slash, but I cannot pretend our weakness in this area doesn't exist either. My worry meter is at a 4 out of 10 right now. 

I agree that as long as INDY can hang onto the ball we can give any team a run for it's money, especially in the 4th QTR where we usually play our best ball before the game ends. 

Don't play the moral victory card or "we should have beaten" the Steelers & Eagles this season. We lost to those 2 teams & to quote HC Mike Tomlin "we don't live in the excuses world."

I have faith in my Colts to fix our ball control issues Slash, but I cannot pretend our weakness in this area doesn't exist either. My worry meter is at a 4 out of 10 right now. 

The Steelers flat out beat us and stole our lunch money.

The Eagles game came down to a "no call" by the refs and a horrible offensive game plan by Pep. We lost that game and I accept that, but in the back of my head, I still think we lost due to bad officiating.

The Steelers flat out beat us and stole our lunch money.

The Eagles game came down to a "no call" by the refs and a horrible offensive game plan by Pep. We lost that game and I accept that, but in the back of my head, I still think we lost due to bad officiating.

If Vontae Davis was active for that game or had he not gotten hurt, there's no way BIg Ben's getting 6 TDs on us. I'm kind of hoping that Pittsburg makes the Playoffs now because I love seeing Tom Brady slice up their secondary like a Christmas dinner.  haha

Yeah, I'd love a INDY rematch in the Playoffs too either way. Bell is a beast though. Wow! 

Darren Sproles was on fire in that game vs us; I wasn't surprised he beat us at all bad call or not. 

100% agree.  You can get away with this against teams like the Jags, Redskins, and even the Browns (all be it if they had any QB play at all we would have been blown out) you do that against playoff level teams you are going to lose by 20 +.  You just can't give the ball away like this.  Not only does it maybe result in points for the other team it's one less chance you have to put up points against them. 

Most of this starts and ends with Andrew, he tries to do way too much at times and ends up making a little mistake become a huge mistake.  He has to learn if a play isn't there that a sack or a throw isn't the worst thing that can happen.  If he's getting sack he needs to start wrapping up the ball rather than waving it around desperately looking for some place he can dump it to make it an incomplete pass.  If he's being rushed and someone isn't open rather than holding it waiting for someone to get open or trying to force it into coverage just simply throw it away and either punt the ball or live to play another down. 

I love Andrew as much as the next person here and it becomes more and more clear every day why Jim Irsay was willing to cut Peyton Manning for him but he has to learn to take better care of the ball. 

I know not all the turnovers are his fault, plays like the Cribs play on Sunday where a defender put his helmet right on the ball and knocked it out (thankfully it went out of bounds so it wasn't a turnover) are going to happen from time-to-time.  You can't do much about those so you can't worry about them.  A lot of Luck's turnovers however, can be prevented or at least reduced. 

No, the truly great QB's realize when they can make a play and when they can't. Right now Andrew doesn't think there is a play he can't make.

I know I've said this before and I'll keep saying it because I think it's true.  Peyton Manning once said the hardest lesson he ever had to learn about playing QB in the NFL was that a sack wasn't a bad play. Andrew still needs to learn that.  Sometimes the other team wins on a play don't compound it by giving them the ball. 

We can cut half of them if Luck will quit trying to be Superman sometimes and just take the dag gone sack when he's in the grasp.  

Yeah he might create a few turnovers doing this, but he is equally creating huge plays as well. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it blows up in your face.

Personally I love watching Luck in those situations because its just so tense and it could either turn into a 50+ yard TD or a turnover. It's exciting and in the end, isnt that why we watch sport?

I see now that Luck does have a turnover issue. This year he has really turned into Mr. Fumbles. Someone on that staff needs to tell him when to give up on a play. Just take the sack. I wonder sometimes if his lack of faith in the O-Line and Defense makes him feel like he always has to make a play.

But he needs to at least stop trying to throw it. At least attempt to run or something if you still want to try and make a play.

The turnover problem is troubling and doesn't bode well for our playoff run. Luck needs to do his part and learn when to secure the ball and take the sack and when to try to make a play. It seems like for the past 3-4 games he has had at least one sack where he fumbled the football. Our running backs particularly Boom also need to work on securing the ball better. This propensity for turnovers is not a good look for Pagano and the coaching staff. The team is fumbling so much it is starting to get contagious. Ball security is essential to being a solid football team. Teams that beat themselves don't win Lombardis.