Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

oldunclemark

If may "A" QB is in the game I want him to do the same thing he always does and that is to move the chains and score points. That is his job. If the HC feels the lead is big enough then get the "A" QB out of the game and go with the backup and don't risk injury. As long as the A guy is in, then yes scoring should be the objective.

Lol you would get your QB killed in a meaningless spot. It's risk vs reward.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vegas is strictly money.

Look I can support you in that one losing season is not so bad...every team as down seasons.

And giving up 31 to the most high powered offense...well I can support you there too...its not that bad. I expect the colts would play decent because I understand the NFL. They were oustanding infact in the 1st qtr with great play calling.

However I cannot support you in Caldwell. Or the colts philosophy which I'm afraid will not mean it will be just one losing season.

Just to share with you the source of my optimism (if you can call it that)... We got beat 62-7 a few weeks ago against a high-powered offense, in their place. This time last year, Brady was spinning a masterpiece of a season, and the Patriots were beating the Bears and Jets by a combined 71 points. I fully expected a 50-spot yesterday. We held pretty well in the first quarter, and even during the onslaught, we fed you with two bad turnovers. I'm just happy we covered the 20.5 point spread. Considering how bad this season has been, especially at its worst, losing by seven points on the road to the team with the best record in the AFC isn't that bad.

How often have the Pats used the no huddle offense this season? Seemed to be something new or something they don't use very often...wonder why they used it this past Sunday?

The Pats often use the no huddle to keep other teams off balance so they can't change out defensive players.

I don't "support" Caldwell, I support those in charge of the Franchise to do what is best for the franchise. If that is keeping Caldwell then I am okay with that, if it is removing him then I am okay with that.

Ah, so you're a "Yes Man."

That explains all of your Kool-aid colored glasses in every post.

How often have the Pats used the no huddle offense this season? Seemed to be something new or something they don't use very often...wonder why they used it this past Sunday?

You obviously have not watched the Patriots at all this season.

They've used it in many games this season. It's their way of wearing out the defense.

Conversely, answer this question for me:

Why did the Patriots play a WR at safety yesterday?

Why did they play a backup LB for over 50% of the defensive plays?

I'm curious if you'll even answer these two questions.

Well gee the Pats D made a backup look great today...do you think they cared? I keep hearing is all that matters is the points given up. We played probably one of the top 3 offenses today in their home stadium and gave up just 31 points, I can live with that....

Only 31? Is that all? Come on man are you being sarcastic?

What CS said.

Every game. It comes in spurts. They'll go traditional. If they're not making progress they'll switch to no huddle. Usually on 2nd down when the opponents 1st dn run D is in.

It very effective because of the two TEs they keep in which gives so many options..run block,receiving.That way they dont have to substitute whether its 1st,2nd, or 3rd down.

I called it yesterday when they went into it on 2nd down. Boom...

And quit saying "bad season" this isn't a bad season... A bad season is 6-10 5-11 this is one of the worst if not the worst season in football history.... Someone has to be held responsible... Learn from the past.. Live in the present.. And plan for the future... The present sucks.. That's obvious.. Now our past few draft picks have been busts...( yes brown has looked decent...I would be happy if we grabbed him in the third or even second round... But not number one...) the present sucks (maybe slightly cuz of the horrible draft picks... Hmmmm no way there can be a connection there..) and what's our plan for the future?? Are we just going to be like eh let's just hope it all shakes out and do nothing??? That's the worst idea I've ever heard.... We need change.. Esspecially our defensive Scheme... Cuz this cover 2 is worthless... Listening to people defend Caldwell is a joke... If you walk into your boss's office and say well I have lost every client I had last year, you would be walking out of that office jobless...

And quit saying "bad season" this isn't a bad season... A bad season is 6-10 5-11 this is one of the worst if not the worst season in football history.... Someone has to be held responsible... Learn from the past.. Live in the present.. And plan for the future... The present sucks.. That's obvious.. Now our past few draft picks have been busts...( yes brown has looked decent...I would be happy if we grabbed him in the third or even second round... But not number one...) the present sucks (maybe slightly cuz of the horrible draft picks... Hmmmm no way there can be a connection there..) and what's our plan for the future?? Are we just going to be like eh let's just hope it all shakes out and do nothing??? That's the worst idea I've ever heard.... We need change.. Esspecially our defensive Scheme... Cuz this cover 2 is worthless... Listening to people defend Caldwell is a joke... If you walk into your boss's office and say well I have lost every client I had last year, you would be walking out of that office jobless...

1) You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone defending Jim Caldwell.

2) Cover 2 isn't worthless. (Cover 2 doesn't really describe a defense, it's just one part of a particular coverage scheme, namely the amount of deep safeties for that play. I digress...) This iteration of Cover 2 that we run is a debasement and degradation of a defensive scheme that actually works pretty well when used correctly with the right players. What we're doing isn't the fault of the Cover 2. It's the fault of the ultra-conservative coaching that's plaguing this team right now.

New here and a Pats fan. Have spent much time on earlier Indy boards in the past. Just wanted to commend the Colts ferocious 4th quarter. I was pulling my hair out (and I'm very unhappy with both our D and the total nonsupport from the offense). But anyway, obviously we played poorly and obviously the Colts played well and with great urgency. Orlovsky made some great throws. Garcon was awesome. The D was stout. I know that a loss is never ok, but I know you must take some pride in that effort.

Congrats.

Cheers, BostonTim

A losing season is a losing season. Now if we were 0-12 with a Healthy Peyton and very few injuires I would be more concerned, but given the status of certain players, I am not going to panic. As for Caldwell, he has had control for now about 3 seasons. The first season he was the coach of the 2nd best team in the NFL. In his second season he was the coach of a team that was in the top 10 and now this bad season. So what a good boss would do is call Caldwell into his office at season end, review over what went wrong this season, see how he plans on correcting those matter and then let him know he gets 1 more season to either get back to where they were in 2009 and 2010 or be replaced....but he gets that chance.

A losing season is a losing season. Now if we were 0-12 with a Healthy Peyton and very few injuires I would be more concerned, but given the status of certain players, I am not going to panic. As for Caldwell, he has had control for now about 3 seasons. The first season he was the coach of the 2nd best team in the NFL. In his second season he was the coach of a team that was in the top 10 and now this bad season. So what a good boss would do is call Caldwell into his office at season end, review over what went wrong this season, see how he plans on correcting those matter and then let him know he gets 1 more season to either get back to where they were in 2009 and 2010 or be replaced....but he gets that chance.

Coltsa re REGRESSING under Caldwell, he has what I call the Norv effect. He makes his team worse. Just ask any Charger fans, some coaches just are awful as HC!

Coltsa re REGRESSING under Caldwell, he has what I call the Norv effect. He makes his team worse. Just ask any Charger fans, some coaches just are awful as HC!

I have to admit this is how I feel also. It's not because we're having a bad year without Manning. It's because we're doing silly things over the course of this season -- and going back to the Super Bowl, there's a trend -- that make me think that our staff is either paralyzed by fear or incapable of making adjustments.

You just placed yourself smackdown in the middle of a losing battle, he thinks this is a mirage, a tiny bump in the road,in other word he does'nt get it. I believe that he is of the opinion we have the best HC in the nfl.Truly clueless.

You just placed yourself smackdown in the middle of a losing battle, he thinks this is a mirage, a tiny bump in the road,in other word he does'nt get it. I believe that he is of the opinion we have the best HC in the nfl.Truly clueless.

We don't know what it is at this point. If Peyton comes back 100% next year we add some good young talent at some key positions there is no reason to think this team can't rebound and win 10-12 games next year with Peyton at QB. Or we could seeing a new ear next year with Andrew Luck at QB, Peyton no longer with the team and maybe a 2-3 win season next year. At this point we don't know, but there is just as much chance we are back winning games and divisions next year as there is of us being a bottom feeder.

We don't know what it is at this point. If Peyton comes back 100% next year we add some good young talent at some key positions there is no reason to think this team can't rebound and win 10-12 games next year with Peyton at QB. Or we could seeing a new ear next year with Andrew Luck at QB, Peyton no longer with the team and maybe a 2-3 win season next year. At this point we don't know, but there is just as much chance we are back winning games and divisions next year as there is of us being a bottom feeder.

Or...

We could get better at coach, regardless of the other issues. I think it's pretty clear that our coaching staff is problematic. I understand as well as anyone how important Peyton Manning is, but we're on the brink of a winless season. There's a drop-off when you lose your quarterback, but then there's still a team that's won more games over the decade than any team ever, and there's playmakers all over the field, and there's the best pass rushing tandem in football, and we can't win a single game? That's at least partly attributable to the head coach and the decisions he's made.

Or...

We could get better at coach, regardless of the other issues. I think it's pretty clear that our coaching staff is problematic. I understand as well as anyone how important Peyton Manning is, but we're on the brink of a winless season. There's a drop-off when you lose your quarterback, but then there's still a team that's won more games over the decade than any team ever, and there's playmakers all over the field, and there's the best pass rushing tandem in football, and we can't win a single game? That's at least partly attributable to the head coach and the decisions he's made.

When his replacement can't do the job, can't keep the offense on the field and forces the D to play not to it's strength and way to much then you have what we have.

When his replacement can't do the job, can't keep the offense on the field and forces the D to play not to it's strength and way to much then you have what we have.

What we do on offense has nothing to do with what we do on defense. It has nothing to do with our lack of special teams success. I'm not talking about results, because there's a lot of things that happen on the way to a bad season. I'm talking about the day to day decisions that we're making on both sides of the ball. I'm talking about the players we're using, and the way we're using them. I'm talking about the defensive scheme, which isn't helping our offense in the least.

As a matter of fact, if you go back to the Tampa Bay game, the offense did enough to win. It was the defense that failed, mainly due to a ridiculous scheme.

So I can't simply say that this is an issue of the backup quarterback not being effective. This is an issue of a lot more than being unprepared to lose Manning.

Really, you must be blind or no nothing about football!

Lets see until this year how many consecutive winning seasons, how many consecutive division titles, how many consecutive playoff appearances? Sorry weather you are willing to accept it, 1 season does not qualify as regression.

What we do on offense has nothing to do with what we do on defense. It has nothing to do with our lack of special teams success. I'm not talking about results, because there's a lot of things that happen on the way to a bad season. I'm talking about the day to day decisions that we're making on both sides of the ball. I'm talking about the players we're using, and the way we're using them. I'm talking about the defensive scheme, which isn't helping our offense in the least.

As a matter of fact, if you go back to the Tampa Bay game, the offense did enough to win. It was the defense that failed, mainly due to a ridiculous scheme.

So I can't simply say that this is an issue of the backup quarterback not being effective. This is an issue of a lot more than being unprepared to lose Manning.

What we can't do on offense has a HUGE impact on our defense. Our defense is built to play a style where the other team is having to play catch up. How many times this season have the colts had the lead. Also how much time has the defense spent on the field this season compared to past and compared to the amount of time the offense has spent on the field. What has been the average field position the opposition has had due to our offense not moving the ball. Our offensiveness has a HUGE impact on our defense and it's production this season.

Lets see until this year how many consecutive winning seasons, how many consecutive division titles, how many consecutive playoff appearances? Sorry weather you are willing to accept it, 1 season does not qualify as regression.

lol, 5 years ago i had a full head of hair, but now it is regressing, don't make me post my clown pic again!Man i feel for you,cause you hav'nt a clue.

New here and a Pats fan. Have spent much time on earlier Indy boards in the past. Just wanted to commend the Colts ferocious 4th quarter. I was pulling my hair out (and I'm very unhappy with both our D and the total nonsupport from the offense). But anyway, obviously we played poorly and obviously the Colts played well and with great urgency. Orlovsky made some great throws. Garcon was awesome. The D was stout. I know that a loss is never ok, but I know you must take some pride in that effort.

Congrats.

Cheers, BostonTim

:hello:

lol, 5 years ago i had a full head of hair, but now it is regressing, don't make me post my clown pic again!Man i feel for you,cause you hav'nt a clue.

No I have real expectations, I believe many colt fans have very unrealistic expectations on thier team. All teams go through up's and downs, and the Colts are no exception, but regressing...I don't agree.

What we can't do on offense has a HUGE impact on our defense. Our defense is built to play a style where the other team is having to play catch up. How many times this season have the colts had the lead.

If you lose your starting quarterback, you have to make adjustments to your defensive approach, assuming that you're not going to have a lead as often. This is child's play. People throw that "the defense is built to play with a lead" line out all the time, but tell me: What team in the NFL always has a lead? You have to be able to make adjustments, and those adjustments are very simple. If we make adjustments on defense and they still don't work, then that's a personnel issue -- we're just not good enough. We haven't made any adjustments. We're just pretending that there's only one coverage we can ever run, and running it every down. It makes no sense, and whoever is responsible for it needs to fix it or get bent.

Even when we had Dungy and Meeks in charge of the defense, two uber-conservative Tampa 2 guys -- we didn't run such an unconditionally passive defense.

Also how much time has the defense spent on the field this season compared to past and compared to the amount of time the offense has spent on the field.

I would argue that the amount of time the defense spends on the field has more to do with the fact that 70% of the time offenses throw against us, they complete passes, and 40% of the time they throw, they get first downs. And those numbers are directly attributable to the scheme we run on defense. I'm not dismissing the offense's lack of production. I'm saying we're doing unspeakable things on defense that we can do something about, regardless of the fact that our offense sucks.

What has been the average field position the opposition has had due to our offense not moving the ball. Our offensiveness has a HUGE impact on our defense and it's production this season.

I'm not worried about our scoring defense. I'm talking about specific snapshots that we can do something about. You look at the fact that we have the worst scoring defense in the league, and then you reverse engineer that result by looking at the other individual aspects of our team. There are many, and offensive production has an impact. But there's also the fact that we give up a higher percentage of completions than any other team in the NFL; there's the fact that we give up a league-worst 48% converted third downs; we allow 8.2 yards per pass play, third worst in the league; we have a league-worst 5 interceptions; we have the second-fewest sacks, at 19 (and this is a team with the best pass rushing tandem in football); for all our conservatism on defense, we've given up the sixth most passing touchdowns, just one more than the highly aggressive Eagles; we've give up a league-worst 17 rushing touchdowns; 25.6% of rushing attempts go for first downs, 6th worst in the league.

Just some perspective: If teams throw against us every down, they'll never have to punt, because they'll get first downs 41% of the time. Every three pass plays, they'll pick up an average of 16 yards. If teams run against us every down, they'll never have to punt, because they'll get first downs 25% of the time. Every four run plays, they'll pick up an average of 16 yards. We have a defense that, statistically speaking, you can't justify punting against. Not by the averages.

Need I go on?

I think all those factors are much more directly attributable to our league-worst points allowed than our ineffective defense. We can do something about the completion percentage against. We can do something about the lack of sacks. Yet, we continue to do the same thing we've been doing, over and over and over again, with the same results. I take you back to the Tampa Bay game: we continued to allow Freeman to complete easy passes over the middle of the field, with impunity, and it cost us the game. Not the offense, which did all they could.

If we're giving up a ton of points, and the only reason is because we're putting our defense out there in terrible field position time and again, then I'm right there with you. But there's a bunch of reasons we're giving up almost 30 points a game, and most of them can be addressed even with a bad offense. I'm talking about simple tweaks in order to put your defense in a position to do what they do best. I'm not talking about an exhaustive and comprehensive overhauling of the defense, changing personnel, changing our front, nothing. I'm simply asking our coaches to do one or two things different, and see what happens. Maybe it won't work, and I'm way off base, but what's the worse that can happen? We lose another game? If we keep letting teams complete better than two of every three passes they attempt, we're going to lose anyways. Just try to make an adjustment.

I've never been a "Fire Caldwell" guy. But the lack of adjustments this season, the destructiveness of what we've done for 12 weeks now, has me very firmly in the "Fire Caldwell" camp at this point. I don't see any justification for keeping him, not when there are so many good candidates available.

If you lose your starting quarterback, you have to make adjustments to your defensive approach, assuming that you're not going to have a lead as often. This is child's play. People throw that "the defense is built to play with a lead" line out all the time, but tell me: What team in the NFL always has a lead? You have to be able to make adjustments, and those adjustments are very simple. If we make adjustments on defense and they still don't work, then that's a personnel issue -- we're just not good enough. We haven't made any adjustments. We're just pretending that there's only one coverage we can ever run, and running it every down. It makes no sense, and whoever is responsible for it needs to fix it or get bent.

Even when we had Dungy and Meeks in charge of the defense, two uber-conservative Tampa 2 guys -- we didn't run such an unconditionally passive defense.

I would argue that the amount of time the defense spends on the field has more to do with the fact that 70% of the time offenses throw against us, they complete passes, and 40% of the time they throw, they get first downs. And those numbers are directly attributable to the scheme we run on defense. I'm not dismissing the offense's lack of production. I'm saying we're doing unspeakable things on defense that we can do something about, regardless of the fact that our offense sucks.

I'm not worried about our scoring defense. I'm talking about specific snapshots that we can do something about. You look at the fact that we have the worst scoring defense in the league, and then you reverse engineer that result by looking at the other individual aspects of our team. There are many, and offensive production has an impact. But there's also the fact that we give up a higher percentage of completions than any other team in the NFL; there's the fact that we give up a league-worst 48% converted third downs; we allow 8.2 yards per pass play, third worst in the league; we have a league-worst 5 interceptions; we have the second-fewest sacks, at 19 (and this is a team with the best pass rushing tandem in football); for all our conservatism on defense, we've given up the sixth most passing touchdowns, just one more than the highly aggressive Eagles; we've give up a league-worst 17 rushing touchdowns; 25.6% of rushing attempts go for first downs, 6th worst in the league.

Just some perspective: If teams throw against us every down, they'll never have to punt, because they'll get first downs 41% of the time. Every three pass plays, they'll pick up an average of 16 yards. If teams run against us every down, they'll never have to punt, because they'll get first downs 25% of the time. Every four run plays, they'll pick up an average of 16 yards. We have a defense that, statistically speaking, you can't justify punting against. Not by the averages.

Need I go on?

I think all those factors are much more directly attributable to our league-worst points allowed than our ineffective defense. We can do something about the completion percentage against. We can do something about the lack of sacks. Yet, we continue to do the same thing we've been doing, over and over and over again, with the same results. I take you back to the Tampa Bay game: we continued to allow Freeman to complete easy passes over the middle of the field, with impunity, and it cost us the game. Not the offense, which did all they could.

If we're giving up a ton of points, and the only reason is because we're putting our defense out there in terrible field position time and again, then I'm right there with you. But there's a bunch of reasons we're giving up almost 30 points a game, and most of them can be addressed even with a bad offense. I'm talking about simple tweaks in order to put your defense in a position to do what they do best. I'm not talking about an exhaustive and comprehensive overhauling of the defense, changing personnel, changing our front, nothing. I'm simply asking our coaches to do one or two things different, and see what happens. Maybe it won't work, and I'm way off base, but what's the worse that can happen? We lose another game? If we keep letting teams complete better than two of every three passes they attempt, we're going to lose anyways. Just try to make an adjustment.

I've never been a "Fire Caldwell" guy. But the lack of adjustments this season, the destructiveness of what we've done for 12 weeks now, has me very firmly in the "Fire Caldwell" camp at this point. I don't see any justification for keeping him, not when there are so many good candidates available.

In the Colts case I believe they went all in on a certain style and play defense wise and you can't in their case make changes because the personal just isn't there to do that. Now there are those who feel this was a stupid way to build a defense and they have a point, but it was how the Colts chose to do so. They decided to dictate most of their defensive monies for the most part in 2 big up front rushers who are great rushers but not as good in run defense, a might DB who couldn't stay healthy and a couple of LB's over time. Maybe it would have been smarter to spread the limited defensive resouces over more players instead of say 3-5 guys, but that is the path Polian took. I think fans are wanting the Colts to do something they just can't at this point.

In the Colts case I believe they went all in on a certain style and play defense wise and you can't in their case make changes because the personal just isn't there to do that. Now there are those who feel this was a stupid way to build a defense and they have a point, but it was how the Colts chose to do so. They decided to dictate most of their defensive monies for the most part in 2 big up front rushers who are great rushers but not as good in run defense, a might DB who couldn't stay healthy and a couple of LB's over time. Maybe it would have been smarter to spread the limited defensive resouces over more players instead of say 3-5 guys, but that is the path Polian took. I think fans are wanting the Colts to do something they just can't at this point.

Seriously?

I know I wrote a thesis up there, so if you don't feel like reading it, that's fine. But seriously?

I'm saying that if we move our corners closer to the line of scrimmage and stop dropping our middle linebacker into deep coverage so often, we'll be able to throw off the timing of the quarterback/receiver connection, improve our pass rush, and lower the pass completion rate. We'll lower the yards/attempt against us. This will make our defense better, and maybe it will be good enough to hang in there and win a game at some point.

I'm saying that the scheme that we refuse to adjust from has resulted in one of the worst defenses in the NFL, a defense that it's statistically unwise to ever punt against.

I'm saying that those things are the reason why I don't care whether we go out there and run wildcat with Addai taking the snaps every down, the offensive production (or lack thereof) is not the primary reason the defense has been so terrible this season. Maybe the offense has something to do with it, but we can make those adjustments I mentioned, and they have nothing to do with the offense.

I'm not saying we need to come up with a new playbook, or devote additional resources to the defense. Maybe we do; that's not what I'm saying. But we need to do something different, because what we're doing is resulting in the worst defense in the NFL. And that cannot be solely attributed to being without Peyton Manning.

So what a good boss would do is call Caldwell into his office at season end, review over what went wrong this season, see how he plans on correcting those matter and then let him know he gets 1 more season to either get back to where they were in 2009 and 2010 or be replaced....but he gets that chance.

This is laughable... Salesmaen are fired for not meeting quotas. In the business world, people get the axe for not meeting deadlines etc.

0-12 = not meeting your quota BIGTIME...

0-12 = not meeting your deadlines...

you're FIRED

donald_trump_001_052007.jpg

Seriously?

I know I wrote a thesis up there, so if you don't feel like reading it, that's fine. But seriously?

I'm saying that if we move our corners closer to the line of scrimmage and stop dropping our middle linebacker into deep coverage so often, we'll be able to throw off the timing of the quarterback/receiver connection, improve our pass rush, and lower the pass completion rate. We'll lower the yards/attempt against us. This will make our defense better, and maybe it will be good enough to hang in there and win a game at some point.

I'm saying that the scheme that we refuse to adjust from has resulted in one of the worst defenses in the NFL, a defense that it's statistically unwise to ever punt against.

I'm saying that those things are the reason why I don't care whether we go out there and run wildcat with Addai taking the snaps every down, the offensive production (or lack thereof) is not the primary reason the defense has been so terrible this season. Maybe the offense has something to do with it, but we can make those adjustments I mentioned, and they have nothing to do with the offense.

I'm not saying we need to come up with a new playbook, or devote additional resources to the defense. Maybe we do; that's not what I'm saying. But we need to do something different, because what we're doing is resulting in the worst defense in the NFL. And that cannot be solely attributed to being without Peyton Manning.

You are assuming that the talent we have can make those changes. It's easy say hey go do this, but when you have not been doing that at all, to make that change isn't easy. Our defense is what it is this season, maybe in the offseason with mini camps and such they can make those changes, but in season with the present talent it just be to much to ask.

This is laughable... Salesmaen are fired for not meeting quotas. In the business world, people get the axe for not meeting deadlines etc.

0-12 = not meeting your quota BIGTIME...

0-12 = not meeting your deadlines...

you're FIRED

donald_trump_001_052007.jpg

But a good boss would look at all the facts and just not 1 thing. You have to look at the whole picture, take into account previous performance. Well a good boss would.

You are assuming that the talent we have can make those changes. It's easy say hey go do this, but when you have not been doing that at all, to make that change isn't easy. Our defense is what it is this season, maybe in the offseason with mini camps and such they can make those changes, but in season with the present talent it just be to much to ask.

Your personnel has nothing to do with those changes. It's not a radical and drastic difference.

And again, we have the worst defense in the NFL. A good coach makes adjustments in order to help his defense perform better. We've made zero adjustments all season, and we're three months in, and we've yet to win a game. That falls on the coaches.

Your personnel has nothing to do with those changes. It's not a radical and drastic difference.

And again, we have the worst defense in the NFL. A good coach makes adjustments in order to help his defense perform better. We've made zero adjustments all season, and we're three months in, and we've yet to win a game. That falls on the coaches.

I think there is blame to go on both side. Clearly since we fired the DC there is some blame to go on the coaches but I also do think there is a lack of talent on defense, namely in the secondary.

I think there is blame to go on both side. Clearly since we fired the DC there is some blame to go on the coaches but I also do think there is a lack of talent on defense, namely in the secondary.

That's fine. We can still make adjustments. By playing off the receivers, we not only fail to improve the secondary (league low 5 interceptions, league high 71% completion rate, third worst 8.2 yards per attempt, sixth worst 21 passing touchdowns against), but we also diminish the ability of our highly-rated pass rushing tandem to impact the game.

We fired the defensive coordinator, and then ran the exact same defense he had been running for the past two years.

I'm talking about simple adjustments. I think they'd help. Wouldn't make us the best defense in the NFL, but I think they'd help our secondary make a few plays, and more importantly, they'd help our defensive line generate a pass rush, which, in turn, helps the secondary. Maybe they wouldn't help, but we have absolutely nothing to lose. We're already the worst defense in the league.

People are acting like I'm talking about going to a 3-4, or going straight man coverage all game long. I'm talking about a simple tweak or two. I'm really talking about going back to what we did for most of 2009.

That's fine. We can still make adjustments. By playing off the receivers, we not only fail to improve the secondary (league low 5 interceptions, league high 71% completion rate, third worst 8.2 yards per attempt, sixth worst 21 passing touchdowns against), but we also diminish the ability of our highly-rated pass rushing tandem to impact the game.

We fired the defensive coordinator, and then ran the exact same defense he had been running for the past two years.

I'm talking about simple adjustments. I think they'd help. Wouldn't make us the best defense in the NFL, but I think they'd help our secondary make a few plays, and more importantly, they'd help our defensive line generate a pass rush, which, in turn, helps the secondary. Maybe they wouldn't help, but we have absolutely nothing to lose. We're already the worst defense in the league.

People are acting like I'm talking about going to a 3-4, or going straight man coverage all game long. I'm talking about a simple tweak or two. I'm really talking about going back to what we did for most of 2009.

I am not ripping you for anything. I agree changes need to be made and I think there will be some made but at the sametime simple or not it's not going to happen in three days and they aren't going to be that great since Murphy is more or less a stop gap who came out of this system. I do think all bets are off for this off-season though and I do think there will be a new defense here next year.

I was just saying I don't think it's a case of either or on this one. I think we can blame both the players and coaches on this one.

But a good boss would look at all the facts and just not 1 thing. You have to look at the whole picture, take into account previous performance. Well a good boss would.

this is ridiculous...

the FACTS, if I am a salesman & I do not sell ANYTHING, I should be fired...

end of story...

if you are a head coach & you do not win a single game, you should be fired

end of story...

past performance...

you are a salesman & you "inherit" a previous salesmans client portfolio & after 3 years your previously strong client base drops to ZERO you should definately be fired,

end of story...

ridiculous, but very funny & entertaining...