Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

oldunclemark

I am not ripping you for anything. I agree changes need to be made and I think there will be some made but at the sametime simple or not it's not going to happen in three days and they aren't going to be that great since Murphy is more or less a stop gap who came out of this system. I do think all bets are off for this off-season though and I do think there will be a new defense here next year.

I was just saying I don't think it's a case of either or on this one. I think we can blame both the players and coaches on this one.

Are we saying that it would take a training camp to simply have our corners play closer to the line of scrimmage? We have to go through clinics and film sessions, and get out on the field and run through the basics, just to teach that simple change? We have defensive backs that ran man, zone, zone blitzes, hybrid defenses, etc., all through college. A simple mid-major college football program has a more complex defensive playbook than we do.

Doesn't a typical defense use outside cushions situationally? I mean, this is a basic thing. You can play press coverage, even if you're running Tampa 2, or you can play off about three yards, or you can play several yards off in long yardage situations. That's just a minor nuance from one situation to another situation. This is not a new playbook. It's not a new scheme. It's a simple tweak. I'm not saying throw out eight yard cushions altogether, because if you force a 3rd and 15, eight yards off makes perfect sense.

But how many 3rd and 15's are you going to force if you give up 16 yards every three pass plays, and if you get 1.5 sacks a game?

I'm not talking about a radical change. I'm talking about a simple adjustment.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we saying that it would take a training camp to simply have our corners play closer to the line of scrimmage? We have to go through clinics and film sessions, and get out on the field and run through the basics, just to teach that simple change? We have defensive backs that ran man, zone, zone blitzes, hybrid defenses, etc., all through college. A simple mid-major college football program has a more complex defensive playbook than we do.

Doesn't a typical defense use outside cushions situationally? I mean, this is a basic thing. You can play press coverage, even if you're running Tampa 2, or you can play off about three yards, or you can play several yards off in long yardage situations. That's just a minor nuance from one situation to another situation. This is not a new playbook. It's not a new scheme. It's a simple tweak. I'm not saying throw out eight yard cushions altogether, because if you force a 3rd and 15, eight yards off makes perfect sense.

But how many 3rd and 15's are you going to force if you give up 16 yards every three pass plays, and if you get 1.5 sacks a game?

I'm not talking about a radical change. I'm talking about a simple adjustment.

Not what I am saying at all. In fact I do think they can and will make some small changes. If they weren't going to make changes they wouldn't have fired the coach. With that said, people, not saying you, seem to be expecting total changes right now. I was just saying I don't think that's the case right now that we will see some small changes. I am not sure how many if any changes they could have made in three days though, even simple ones. I am sure we'll see more smaller ones as the season goes on though.

Now with that said I pointed out something last night that I think needs to repeated. Polian made a big deal last Monday about the fact that they practiced covering option all week vs. the Panthers and the first three plays they didn't do it. He went on to say it was clear sign the message wasn't getting delievered right and then he fired Coyer. That tells me he seemed to think the issue was more with how the message was being delievered than it was the message being delivered so based on that I am not sure how many changes we are going to see right now.

I do expect major changes this off-season though.

Not what I am saying at all. In fact I do think they can and will make some small changes. If they weren't going to make changes they wouldn't have fired the coach. With that said, people, not saying you, seem to be expecting total changes right now. I was just saying I don't think that's the case right now that we will see some small changes. I am not sure how many if any changes they could have made in three days though, even simple ones. I am sure we'll see more smaller ones as the season goes on though.

If we were to blitz every down, and the quarterback starts shredding it, would we just keep blitzing over and over again? How is this any different?

Changing your coverage is something most defenses do from play to play. It's a minor adjustment. If it can be done from play to play, it can be done in three days. It's as minor as running a bubble screen vs a middle screen. It's just a nuance.

I said the same thing you said: If they weren't going to change anything, why did they fire Coyer? Seems like it made sense. But then we did the exact same thing Coyer would have done, the same thing he had been doing all season long. And the next thing you know, we've given up four touchdowns on four straight possessions. That's four possessions that we made zero adjustments on. Three of those touchdowns went to the same player. We can't play a little closer to the line of scrimmage over the course of four possessions?

Now with that said I pointed out something last night that I think needs to repeated. Polian made a big deal last Monday about the fact that they practiced covering option all week vs. the Panthers and the first three plays they didn't do it. He went on to say it was clear sign the message wasn't getting delievered right and then he fired Coyer. That tells me he seemed to think the issue was more with how the message was being delievered than it was the message being delivered so based on that I am not sure how many changes we are going to see right now.

I do expect major changes this off-season though.

And that's highly problematic. We're getting ready to go 0-16. We can't make a minor change to our defense and hope it gets us a little different result?

If we were to blitz every down, and the quarterback starts shredding it, would we just keep blitzing over and over again? How is this any different?

Changing your coverage is something most defenses do from play to play. It's a minor adjustment. If it can be done from play to play, it can be done in three days. It's as minor as running a bubble screen vs a middle screen. It's just a nuance.

I said the same thing you said: If they weren't going to change anything, why did they fire Coyer? Seems like it made sense. But then we did the exact same thing Coyer would have done, the same thing he had been doing all season long. And the next thing you know, we've given up four touchdowns on four straight possessions. That's four possessions that we made zero adjustments on. Three of those touchdowns went to the same player. We can't play a little closer to the line of scrimmage over the course of four possessions?

And that's highly problematic. We're getting ready to go 0-16. We can't make a minor change to our defense and hope it gets us a little different result?

I didn't say it wasn't highly problematic or that I even agreed with Polian on this. I just pointed out what he said where I think he stands on it. With that said though I do think all bets are off for this off-season and that there are going to be major changes. Polian has hinted at that as well on his radio show this season.