Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts bring up Tipton, Waive Whalen

Bravo

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this sucks. Now we lose Whalen. This year, we started with Brazill, Rogers, and Whalen, now we have none. Oh yeah, and Nicks sucks and we probably will lose Wayne after this year. Way to go Management, who's next? couldn't get rid of someone else that's not needed to fill a huge, gaping hole next year?

Yup.  Come draft/FA time, Colts need to place a high priority on WR.  Just TY, Moncrief, and an older Wayne won't cut it.  And with Allen being more injury prone than Toler, they might need another TE.  

Too bad, the LB and S positions need too much help.

I really think the staff is biased in some way.  Whalen was more productive last year than Nicks has been this year, IMO.  They never even gave Whalen any PT as WR this year.

A player earns PT this is not junior leagues

I think Pagano's "iron sharpens iron" philosophy puts a higher priority on veterans paying their dues in the NFL.  I think he is biased towards players with seniority at a position.

I think Whalen typically got more separation from the DB than does Nicks.

I think Pagano's "iron sharpens iron" philosophy puts a higher priority on veterans paying their dues in the NFL.  I think he is biased towards players with seniority at a position.

I think Whalen typically got more separation from the DB than does Nicks.

The are a few problems with that

Mewhort over Louis

Harrison over Shipley

Moncrief over Whalen

Doyle over Saunders

The are a few problems with that

Mewhort over Louis

Harrison over Shipley

Moncrief over Whalen

Doyle over Saunders

None of those vets you list have had any real stature in the NFL. 

I was thinking more like Satele over Shipley...DHB over TY...Nicks over Moncrief/Whalen, where the younger player was at least as good as the seasoned vet.

None of those vets you list have had any real stature in the NFL. 

I was thinking more like Satele over Shipley...DHB over TY...Nicks over Moncrief/Whalen, where the younger player was at least as good as the seasoned vet.

Satele and DHB were demoted by mid season

Whalen became obsolete when Cribbs was signed

Satele and DHB were demoted by mid season

Whalen became obsolete when Cribbs was signed

I don't think Satele was ever demoted until he got injured, and TY got plenty of PT in three WR sets to show that he could be a better #2 than DHB.  Whalen never had any PT to show that he could be just as productive as Nicks.  He could only show it in practice I guess.  Doubt if they split snaps then.

I view the Nicks signing as being an insurance policy against Wayne not returning.  Once Wayne showed that he returned to form,  I think the decision to make would be to play the young guys, with Moncrief having the speed and Whalen the route running/hands guy.  I would've played Moncrief and Whalen more at WR by this time, taking snaps away from Nicks.

Nicks should have been expendable when Wayne returned, but I think the staff wants to help a vet.

Yup.  Come draft/FA time, Colts need to place a high priority on WR.  Just TY, Moncrief, and an older Wayne won't cut it.  And with Allen being more injury prone than Toler, they might need another TE.  

Too bad, the LB and S positions need too much help.

I really think the staff is biased in some way.  Whalen was more productive last year than Nicks has been this year, IMO.  They never even gave Whalen any PT as WR this year.

WRs much like RBs are overrated in today's league. A good TE is way bigger threat, harder to cover. Also, QBs and OLs make WRs and RBs great, not the other way around.

Yeah I don't know if I am a fan of this move... not just because I am the president of the "Griff Whalen for League MVP" Fan Club... but I am also a member.  

LOL.  I just feel that the Griffer had more value than just a sure handed PR/ KR.  Any time he was on the field as a WR he always seemed to be in the right place for Luck to hit him and would catch everything thrown his way.  I am not saying he is a game changer but he was solid and reliable.  

Sad to see him waived.  I hope he comes back after Allen comes back,.

Until then i will wear a black arm band with #17 on it in honor of the Griffer.  

Yeah I don't know if I am a fan of this move... not just because I am the president of the "Griff Whalen for League MVP" Fan Club... but I am also a member.

LOL. I just feel that the Griffer had more value than just a sure handed PR/ KR. Any time he was on the field as a WR he always seemed to be in the right place for Luck to hit him and would catch everything thrown his way. I am not saying he is a game changer but he was solid and reliable.

Sad to see him waived. I hope he comes back after Allen comes back,.

Until then i will wear a black arm band with #17 on it in honor of the Griffer.

I think when teams game plan other defenses, you want players on the roster who can be useful against that specific defense. If you're playing a zone defense, you want a WR who can run crisp routes and find the open spot in the zone. Having good chemistry with the QB helps, since he may know where the WR is headed, helps. Whalen would be better than Nicks in those weeks, IMO.

Against other defenses, where the DBs may be slower or beatable with speed, Moncrief might be more effective than either Whalen or Nicks.

Nicks has neither speed, or route running crispness. Sure, he is probably a better all around WR than Moncrief and Whalen at this point, but we already have 2 good well rounded WRs in Wayne and TY that should be in the game most of the time. You need other WRs that have other skill sets, to match them up against defenses in certain ways.

I would take Moncrief/Whalen over Nicks. Now that option is gone

Like I said, this isn't Whalen's first rodeo. If he is as good as this forum makes him out to be, why is always the top option to free up space on the roster?

Why did we sign Nicks?

Why isn't he getting reps on gameday?

Why isn't he higher up the depth chart than a rookie WR?

Like I said, this isn't Whalen's first rodeo. If he is as good as this forum makes him out to be, why is always the top option to free up space on the roster?

Why did we sign Nicks?

Why isn't he getting reps on gameday?

Why isn't he higher up the depth chart than a rookie WR?

Yeah...I don't know who is better...and I certainly don't think Whalen could ever be a consistent #2, like some have said.

My point is that Nicks really doesn't bring anything to the field that any other WR on the Colts roster brings.  I think Whalen had the ability to find the zone...at least it seemd like it last year.  I think that skill would be useful in certain weeks.  Other weeks, he may not even be activated.

I don't see the depth chart as the #3, 4 or 5 really a way to look at it.  Some weeks the #5 may be the #3.

Ehh, I like Griff but its not too big of a deal. No way Nicks comes back IMO, his legs are shot. I would be more welcome to bring either Brazill or Rogers back (Not going to happen) than Nicks, at least they could create separation. An upgrade over Griff will not be overly difficult to find IMO. I'd be willing to bet he might even be back when Allen returns and Saunders is released. (If he clears waivers that is)

Yeah...I don't know who is better...and I certainly don't think Whalen could ever be a consistent #2, like some have said.

My point is that Nicks really doesn't bring anything to the field that any other WR on the Colts roster brings. I think Whalen had the ability to find the zone...at least it seemd like it last year. I think that skill would be useful in certain weeks. Other weeks, he may not even be activated.

I don't see the depth chart as the #3, 4 or 5 really a way to look at it. Some weeks the #5 may be the #3.

Okay, so the depth chart isn't the traditional one. But when has Whalen ever been the feature guy? His best game was last year against the Chiefs the first time

He's replaceable and it's not hard to do it.

Just don't get the big fuss over Whalen being cut as if this was the first time it happened

Ehh, I like Griff but its not too big of a deal. No way Nicks comes back IMO, his legs are shot. I would be more welcome to bring either Brazill or Rogers back (Not going to happen) than Nicks, at least they could create separation. An upgrade over Griff will not be overly difficult to find IMO. I'd be willing to bet he might even be back when Allen returns and Saunders is released. (If he clears waivers that is)

"If he clears waivers"

When has he not cleared waivers? No one is gonna pick him up unless they're very desperate

I like Whalen i think he is good at the punt returns not so much the Kick off returns. I believe the Allan injury caused his release & the need? to sign Sanders. Moncriefs increased role pretty much doomed Whalens offensive snaps as well. He might be back I will be surprised if he is picked up. Wish him the best. I really like Zurlon though glad him back to the active roster. Hopefully he gets to play some!

I hope this post is :sarcasm:

He's been cut like 4 times already..... No one ever picks him up. So is Griff really as good as this forum makes him seem?

Do I need to pull out my official membership card?

No, the top part was obviously sarcastic.  I'm not the president.... Just the Sergeant at Arms...

Anyways... I am not under the belief that Griff is an all star or anything... just a reliable receiver.  That's all.  Certainly not a number 1 or 2 option but I could see him being a consistent WR3.  Good third down production guy that can move the chains.

Also, it seems his chemistry with Luck is one of his greatest assets and him and Luck always seemed to be on the same page when he was thrown to.  Much more than we can say between Luck and Nicks.

Just saying, he was a weapon for the Colts. 

Do I need to pull out my official membership card?

No, the top part was obviously sarcastic. I'm not the president.... Just the Sergeant at Arms...

Anyways... I am not under the belief that Griff is an all star or anything... just a reliable receiver. That's all. Certainly not a number 1 or 2 option but I could see him being a consistent WR3. Good third down production guy that can move the chains.

Also, it seems his chemistry with Luck is one of his greatest assets and him and Luck always seemed to be on the same page when he was thrown to. Much more than we can say between Luck and Nicks.

Just saying, he was a weapon for the Colts.

If he was such a weapon, he wouldn't be getting cut Everytime we need roster space would he?

I like Whalen i think he is good at the punt returns not so much the Kick off returns. I believe the Allan injury caused his release & the need? to sign Sanders. Moncriefs increased role pretty much doomed Whalens offensive snaps as well. He might be back I will be surprised if he is picked up. Wish him the best. I really like Zurlon though glad him back to the active roster. Hopefully he gets to play some!

He was awful at punt returns while the blocking for him was excellent. He never took advantage of it. I'm excited to see Cribbs, who has the vision and, hopefully, still has the shakes to take advantage of the great blocking.

Not defensive at all. Just don't understand the hooplah over an average player

He's just one of those guys like James Mungro, Mike Hart etc. that people take a personal liking to despite being average. I still let everybody know my affection for Mungro, even though its mostly just joking.

We obviously need a third RB, and don't need two kick returners. The touchback/near safety against NE was typical of an inexperienced return guy and we cannot afford a disaster like that almost was. No one is likely to pick up Griff; should we lose a receiver or need to replace Cribbs, I have to think Griff would be available.

We obviously need a third RB, and don't need two kick returners. The touchback/near safety against NE was typical of an inexperienced return guy and we cannot afford a disaster like that almost was. No one is likely to pick up Griff; should we lose a receiver or need to replace Cribbs, I have to think Griff would be available.

Agreed

Wow, this sucks. Now we lose Whalen. This year, we started with Brazill, Rogers, and Whalen, now we have none. Oh yeah, and Nicks sucks and we probably will lose Wayne after this year. Way to go Management, who's next? couldn't get rid of someone else that's not needed to fill a huge, gaping hole next year?