Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So is Darren Sproles currently the best RB?

ReMeDy

Adrian Peterson I have to refuse because of all his down-time and legal issues. Matt Forte was a beast, but the Bears seem to have locker room turmoil, and their abysmal efforts are trickling down to Forte's potential.

Marshawn Lynche might be the #1 favorite, so I'll give him a close nod to Darren Sproles, but there are two things that make Sproles better in my mind. First, in that last game, Sproles had Mark Sanchez as his QB. Second, Sproles also plays special teams.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000426407/Wk-10-Can-t-Miss-Play-Return-of-the-Sproles

^ That punt return is insane. He wasn't even touched, yet he was doing a zig-zag pattern down the middle of the field. That guy has insane acceleration, and he has the highest motor of any player I've seen.

What I also don't get is the guy is so small, yet he isn't injury prone. He's 5'6" 190lbs. In comparison, the average height of a horse jockey is 4'10" to 5'6", so if he decides to drop about 50lbs after retirement, he can make a new calling for himself.

I always find looking at players weights funny. I'm 6'4, this guy is 10 inches shorter than me and weighs 40 pounds more. Anyways, I think he is the best in terms of biggest play, but if you are talking overall I'd give it to Matt Forte. He has just literally been the Bears offense. I don't think a players team should factor in to how great the individual player is. Although his production probably has fallen off the past few weeks with their putrid defense.

Adrian Peterson I have to refuse because of all his down-time and legal issues. Matt Forte was a beast, but the Bears seem to have locker room turmoil, and their abysmal efforts are trickling down to Forte's potential.

Marshawn Lynche might be the #1 favorite, so I'll give him a close nod to Darren Sproles, but there are two things that make Sproles better in my mind. First, in that last game, Sproles had Mark Sanchez as his QB. Second, Sproles also plays special teams.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000426407/Wk-10-Can-t-Miss-Play-Return-of-the-Sproles

^ That punt return is insane. He wasn't even touched, yet he was doing a zig-zag pattern down the middle of the field. That guy has insane acceleration, and he has the highest motor of any player I've seen.

What I also don't get is the guy is so small, yet he isn't injury prone. He's 5'6" 190lbs. In comparison, the average height of a horse jockey is 4'10" to 5'6", so if he decides to drop about 50lbs after retirement, he can make a new calling for himself.

IMO I don't think Sproles is the best RB in the NFL. DeMarco Murray is by far the best at this point.

Murray, Ingram, and Lynch are at the top of the charts.

Cheers to Sproles though, really miss him being on my team.

I gotta give Mark Ingram some props Bogie. He's a beast right now. That PI call against Jimmy Graham on that Brees hail mary throw was complete hogwash during the 49ers match BTW. JMO. 

Yeah, why in the hades did Sean Payton let him go to Philadelphia? I'm still scratching my head over that 1 man. Hmmm...

If I had to win a game tomorrow and I can take any RB, I'm taking Sproles.  He can run the ball, he can run routes and catch, and he can devastate teams on special teams.  And for those saying you have to be the best RB on your own team, Sproles is better than McCoy right now.  McCoy just hasn't been the same guy he was last year.

If we're saying that Sproles is purely the RB and can't play special teams, then I'd take Charles over him, but that's it.  Murray is good, but he's been playing behind a dominant o-line all year and teams have to respect Romo and Bryant.

As someone else mentioned,  Sproles is not even the best RB on the Eagles,  let alone the whole NFL.

Here is Sproles' line from last night's game....

3 rushes,  17 yards,  0 TD's

4 receptions,  46 yards,   0 TD's

2 punt returns,   27 yards,   0 TD's

I'm a big Darren Sproles fan.   Wish he was on the Colts.    But he's not remotely close to the best RB in the NFL.

I'm wondering why this was brought up now?    It's not like he's setting the world on fire....

I gotta give Mark Ingram some props Bogie. He's a beast right now. That PI call against Jimmy Graham on that Brees hail mary throw was complete hogwash during the 49ers match BTW. JMO. 

Yeah, why in the hades did Sean Payton let him go to Philadelphia? I'm still scratching my head over that 1 man. Hmmm...

I can't argue over the PI call on Graham cause he did push the guy, and other than that, the game shouldn't have come down to that. The 4th and 10 call cost us, along with Brees DUMB interceptions.

If Ingram rushes over 1,000 yards, it will be a miracle, and the first time since 2006 (Duece)

I can't argue over the PI call on Graham cause he did push the guy, and other than that, the game shouldn't have come down to that. The 4th and 10 call cost us, along with Brees DUMB interceptions.

If Ingram rushes over 1,000 yards, it will be a miracle, and the first time since 2006 (Duece)

I can't remember who the 49ers player was closest to Jimmy was Bogie, but it looked like a LeBron James flop to me. And the Oscar for best fake fall since Chevy Chase on SNL goes to...

I just don't wanna see the 49ers or the Seahawks in the NFC Championship Game this year; time for some new teams. 

As someone else mentioned, Sproles is not even the best RB on the Eagles, let alone the whole NFL.

Here is Sproles' line from last night's game....

3 rushes, 17 yards, 0 TD's

4 receptions, 46 yards, 0 TD's

2 punt returns, 27 yards, 0 TD's

I'm a big Darren Sproles fan. Wish he was on the Colts. But he's not remotely close to the best RB in the NFL.

I'm wondering why this was brought up now? It's not like he's setting the world on fire....

Didn't sproles rush for a td and return a punt for a td Monday night?

Sproles isn't the best rb in the league but he's definitely in the jack of all trades/master of none category.

Didn't sproles rush for a td and return a punt for a td Monday night?

Sproles isn't the best rb in the league but he's definitely in the jack of all trades/master of none category.

Nice catch, Mitch!

I double checked the box score,  and you're correct.

And then I double checked the Eagles own website,  and they STILL haven't updated their stats.    They show Sporles' last game from Nov. 2.      That was the game I grabbed his stats from....

Nice job.    Appreciate the correction!    :thmup:

Leveon Bell >>>>>

I don't think enought people watch him to know how insanely good Bell is. The next Tomlinson if you ask me. No one but McCoy had the shiftiness/acceleration he has and he can get tough yards and catch and run like a receiver. I wouldn't question anyone who said he was the best in the NFL. That includes Lynch, Forte, and Murray (who's extremely overrated and has one of the best olines of the past 5 years).

Imo of course

I don't think enought people watch him to know how insanely good Bell is. The next Tomlinson if you ask me. No one but McCoy had the shiftiness/acceleration he has and he can get tough yards and catch and run like a receiver. I wouldn't question anyone who said he was the best in the NFL. That includes Lynch, Forte, and Murray (who's extremely overrated and has one of the best olines of the past 5 years).

Imo of course

I don't get the knock on Murray even in the past he always got yards when the Dallas line wasn't as good his only knock is staying healthy .

I don't get the knock on Murray even in the past he always got yards when the Dallas line wasn't as good his only knock is staying healthy .

Imo it's a matter of individual perception. I see him as a good back as well, but this year he has an amazing oline and now he's being heralded as the next AP and I just don't see it. My knock on him is while he does many things good he doesn't really do anything at an "elite" status. Of course this is in my opinion and can't be proven by statistics but he doesn't seem to have the physical presence of Lynch, Peterson, and doesn't really have the elusive presence of McCoy and Bell. He can run the ball and when at the second level can make a guy miss, but to me that just seems like what you expect of every back. And because of his extraordinary oline he gets a chance to do it every play.

Who knows it might just be my bias against the Cowboys in then end rofl...