Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

taking hits

OLD FAN MAN

The bad part is...... Our offensive line this year is so much better than it was last year. That just goes to show how bad they actually were.

Seriously though, I think our offensive line is doing an okay job this season. Every posistion had a bad game vs the Steelers besides maybe the WR's.

:scorebad:

:facepalm:

Get 51 points dropped on you...... All of a sudden the offensive line is to blame. The same offensive line that was being highly praised. Do we really have to go back to dig up the praise threads as proof?

I tell you man........ Smh

To be fair, they were really bad last week.

But notice the offensive line wasn't talked badly about (besides the high snaps from Harrison) until the Steelers game?

The whole team was bad last week, why is the offensive line taking the heat all of a sudden. This thread is just another subtle "The Sky is Falling" thread. People can't believe their beloved Colts gave up 51 points that's all

Now everyone wants to point fingers. 5 game winning streak only bashing going on was about Laron not deserving his job back when he returns.

Now the blowout happens, oh now the offensive line is bad. Smh, it's sickening

one game does not a season make. Since Pagsno took over the Colts always seem to have a game or two a season where they just don't play well. Most teams have a game or two like that over the course of a 16 game schedule. We were spoiled by the Manning era because they just didn't have many games like that. They were the exception.

But notice the offensive line wasn't talked badly about (besides the high snaps from Harrison) until the Steelers game?

The whole team was bad last week, why is the offensive line taking the heat all of a sudden. This thread is just another subtle "The Sky is Falling" thread. People can't believe their beloved Colts gave up 51 points that's all

Now everyone wants to point fingers. 5 game winning streak only bashing going on was about Laron not deserving his job back when he returns.

Given you felt the need the post your very own apology topic after your own sky is falling phase I think it's a bit hypocritical to call him out on this.  :dunno:

Besides he actually has a semblance of a point.... the Colts are currently 3rd in number of QB hits (109), so it's not just one game. Now I'm not having a rant at the O-Line, for the most part they've played well (then again we do have low standards!), but that's still a large number of hits for  your blue chip player to be taking. 

Saying that I'm not entirely sure it's all on the O-line, there's been quite a few late hits that haven't been flagged IMO. 

Well it wasn't a blowout.

But like you said, the whole team was pretty bad that game so finger pointing should happen all around.

O-line even if you count the play against the Steelers is better then it's ever been.

Luck took the hits for 2 years behind a bad O-line, he's got a decent one in front of him now.  He should be fine.  

Obviously anything can happen but he's built well to take the hits and is tough.  

Part of the problem with Luck getting hit is self imposed. He throws very few timing patterns and holds the ball longer than most. As good as he is he don't have a quick release either.

Seems to me that's a play-calling thing, although given that Luck can pick between several different plays at the line, some of it may be on him as well.

Seems to me that's a play-calling thing, although given that Luck can pick between several different plays at the line, some of it may be on him as well.

Like it or not Luck does not throw a lot of timing routes. He waits for his receivers to get open more than depending in them to be at a certain place.

I am finding myself having to adjust to the reality that A. Luck thinks, feels, and plays like a football player and its a little different than a classic franchise QB.  It is why his eyes are forward looking for a play to be made rather than fearing the rush.  It's also a part of why he is hit so much.

If it bothered him to get hit, he'd get hit less.  Our fears as a fanbase are unlikely to modify his behavior.  As he ages, particularly if he misses a little time, he is likely to rely on timing more to get the ball out, but right now....he just wants to play football.

I am finding myself having to adjust to the reality that A. Luck thinks, feels, and plays like a football player and its a little different than a classic franchise QB.  It is why his eyes are forward looking for a play to be made rather than fearing the rush.  It's also a part of why he is hit so much.

If it bothered him to get hit, he'd get hit less.  Our fears as a fanbase are unlikely to modify his behavior.  As he ages, particularly if he misses a little time, he is likely to rely on timing more to get the ball out, but right now....he just wants to play football.

Ehh I don't know about that. . . the great QB's don't fear the rush they always look to make a play.  I don't think that aspect of him is any different from a classic franchise QB.  I don't see Manning or Brady or Rodgers fearing the rush and all of them have made throws knowing they would take the hit.

The only thing that is really different about him is that he's always looking to make a play with his arm even though he has the athletic ability to make plays with his legs.  Usually guys who are athletic enough to make plays with their legs start running with the ball sooner then other QB's because they from the earliest ages where faster and more athletic then everyone they played against so they learned "When in doubt run".  Luck has that ability as well but he's the first in a while who's had that athletic ability but stays in the pocket to make a play with his arm.

Ehh I don't know about that. . . the great QB's don't fear the rush they always look to make a play.  I don't think that aspect of him is any different from a classic franchise QB.  I don't see Manning or Brady or Rodgers fearing the rush and all of them have made throws knowing they would take the hit.

The only thing that is really different about him is that he's always looking to make a play with his arm even though he has the athletic ability to make plays with his legs.  Usually guys who are athletic enough to make plays with their legs start running with the ball sooner then other QB's because they from the earliest ages where faster and more athletic then everyone they played against so they learned "When in doubt run".  Luck has that ability as well but he's the first in a while who's had that athletic ability but stays in the pocket to make a play with his arm.

Sure, great QB's don't fear the rush, but surely you see how much more conscious of it they are than Luck is, and how much less willing to hold the ball that they are.  

Manning doesn't get hit, because he doesn't want to - as a rule.  Of course he is tough and there are plenty of examples where he knew a play was there to be made if he holds the ball and takes the hit...and he does just that, but that is an exception to the rule.  

Luck is just built differently - physically and mentally.  We can all see that by now.  I love it, and so do his teammates, but we're gonna have to get used to seeing him at the top of the league leaderboard in QB hits - even with a good O-line.

The bad part is...... Our offensive line this year is so much better than it was last year. That just goes to show how bad they actually were.

Seriously though, I think our offensive line is doing an okay job this season. Every posistion had a bad game vs the Steelers besides maybe the WR's.

When your franchise QB is the one who is getting sacked/hit the most in the entire league, your O-line is NOT doing "an okay job".

We need improvement. A lot of it, and fast before Luck gets hurt.

When your franchise QB is the one who is getting sacked/hit the most in the entire league, your O-line is NOT doing "an okay job".

We need improvement. A lot of it, and fast before Luck gets hurt.

some of that is simply due to volume.  Luck is attempting more passes than any other QB therefore he's exposed to more possible hits than any other QB.  it would help tremendously if they got back to a more balanced offense.  

:scorebad:

:facepalm:

Get 51 points dropped on you...... All of a sudden the offensive line is to blame. The same offensive line that was being highly praised. Do we really have to go back to dig up the praise threads as proof?

I tell you man........ Smh

If being the most hit/sacked qb is a good thing.. then i must not understand football.. you can praise the oline all you want.. but luck spends more time on his back than any other qb in the league.. so theoretically we actually have the worst oline

some of that is simply due to volume.  Luck is attempting more passes than any other QB therefore he's exposed to more possible hits than any other QB.  it would help tremendously if they got back to a more balanced offense.  

That may be. But our O-line is still, by far, the weakest point of our team, and protecting the player the whole thing is being build around, should be the primary concern.

So far, we haven't been very succesful at that, when no other QB in the league gets hit as much as he does.

For what it's worth, I don't think ESPN's stat last night was accurate. They say he's been hit 97 times this year, prior to last night's game. I just went through ESPN's box scores for the season, and prior to last night's game, they only have 48 QB hits against the Colts overall (and Hasselbeck has some snaps, so he might have a hit or two). They say he got hit 11 times last night, which I believe, so even including last night's game, he's been hit 59 times. That's according to their own box scores. (PFF says 55 QB hits.) So I don't know where they get that 97 number from, but it didn't pass the smell test, and now I know it's not accurate.

That said, Luck does take too many hits.