Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian- Colts Can Afford Both Manning & Rookie Qb As First Round Draft Pick

bayone

Indianapolis Colts vice chairman Bill Polian told radio listeners Monday night that the team could afford to keep Manning on its roster next season and still use their first-round draft pick on another franchise quarterback without sacrificing competitiveness.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8248f2d8/article/colts-willing-to-pay-manning-rookie-qb-if-right-guy-available?module=HP11_headline_stack

Anyone think Luck will hold out of the draft? Potentially he could play college ball one more year. Im kinda curious on what Luck thinnks about potentially being drafted by the colts.. still may be too early to tell. I think Manning, according to articles, knows Luck and likes the kid.. should be an interesting development after Wednesday.

Indianapolis Colts vice chairman Bill Polian told radio listeners Monday night that the team could afford to keep Manning on its roster next season and still use their first-round draft pick on another franchise quarterback without sacrificing competitiveness.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

But Polian is wrong..

If Manning is healthy...we need that overall No.1 to become two or three picks...

Only if Manning is NOT recovering..should we draft a QB first

But Polian is wrong..

If Manning is healthy...we need that overall No.1 to become two or three picks...

This.

Trade it to any of the lower tier teams pining for Luck, get a king's ransom to improve the defense, and draft Kellen Moore.

That would be one of the worst decisions the colts ever make, the defense needs help and the colts are facing the problem or resigning a 30+ wr and another that i inconsistent when catching the ball... the colts need to trade down, that would be the best thing the colts can ever do.

That would be one of the worst decisions the colts ever make, the defense needs help and the colts are facing the problem or resigning a 30+ wr and another that i inconsistent when catching the ball... the colts need to trade down, that would be the best thing the colts can ever do.

Manning is going to be 36 freaking years old. He is coming off his 3rd NECK surgery. It would be beyond ignorant for the Colts to not draft a QB.

They would be competitive because Peyton Manning makes them competitive by default. Our defense would still suffer, our Special Teams would likely be garbage. We need to spend that money on a playmaker where it's needed. Last I checked, we don't need one on the bench.

Being competitive and being championship-calibre are two different things. This decision would keep us in the former (and below) for a long time.

Manning is going to be 36 freaking years old. He is coming off his 3rd NECK surgery. It would be beyond ignorant for the Colts to not draft a QB.

It would only be as such if, after evaluating Manning, he plays line he's 36. He certainly played younger than 35 WITH the pain. That pain will now be gone.

It's cute to repeat what the radio mouth-breathers are spouting, but that doesn't make it a relevant argument. Dan Patrick and Colin Cowherd said the same thing, word for word, because that's their job. They stir the pot to create conversation.

The fact is, this surgery alleviated exactly what was holding him back. The facts show that he was playing better than any 35 year old player in NFL history, despite the discomfort. The facts show that nearly every athlete makes a full recovery from this procedure, DB's excepting, for whatever reason.

Think for yourself, for a change. Drafting Luck would be LESS logical than stacking in defense and picks. This is a "win now" league. Not a "maybe in five years we will have the Rodgers scenario" league.

But Polian is wrong..

At some point people need to relize that the Peyton Manning we have watched over the past decade is gone. At best we have a marginal Peyton here on out, no one goes through what he has over the past year and come back 100%. Add to that the age issue, and the need for this franchise to look long term, then doing anything but drafting Luck would be a major step back for this franchise both short term and long term. People just need to understand change is coming...

yet more proof to me that the Colts want to keep Manning and draft Luck. Two big road blocks seem to be in the way of this, 1, how is Manning's neck which hopefully we'll get more answers about later this week and 2, will Luck be okay with sitting behind Peyton?

I will say Luck sitting probably wont be like Painter sitting in where he never got to do anything but hold a clip board I think the Colts would get Luck reps in practice and it wouldn't shock me at all if they developed a package or two for Luck to get him on the field. What if the Colts lined up both Luck AND Manning in the backfield to take a snap that would be new and different and would be outside the box and might be a good way to keep the defense on their heals a little bit.

At some point people need to relize that the Peyton Manning we have watched over the past decade is gone. At best we have a marginal Peyton here on out, no one goes through what he has over the past year and come back 100%. Add to that the age issue, and the need for this franchise to look long term, then doing anything but drafting Luck would be a major step back for this franchise both short term and long term. People just need to understand change is coming...

How do you know? I am not saying you are wrong because frankly I am from the school of thought none of us really do know. There are cases of players coming back from this so it's not like this has never happened. Again, my point you don't know for a fact that Peyton Manning is never going to play like he did in the past just like no one knows for a fact that he will play like that again.

It would only be as such if, after evaluating Manning, he plays line he's 36. He certainly played younger than 35 WITH the pain. That pain will now be gone.

It's cute to repeat what the radio mouth-breathers are spouting, but that doesn't make it a relevant argument. Dan Patrick and Colin Cowherd said the same thing, word for word, because that's their job. They stir the pot to create conversation.

The fact is, this surgery alleviated exactly what was holding him back. The facts show that he was playing better than any 35 year old player in NFL history, despite the discomfort. The facts show that nearly every athlete makes a full recovery from this procedure, DB's excepting, for whatever reason.

Think for yourself, for a change. Drafting Luck would be LESS logical than stacking in defense and picks. This is a "win now" league. Not a "maybe in five years we will have the Rodgers scenario" league.

How the heck do you know that? Every time Manning has spoke he says he is still have trouble with the nerve regeneration.

Not really but if the colts have to get one and they most likely will they could forefit the extra 1st round pick they would get in the 013 draft to move up and pick a top QB OR with the extra early 2nd round pick they would receive they could get a QB there to learn under manning...

Matt Barkley or Landry Jones both seem like really good QB's... yes i know Andrew Luck is the prized trophy right now, but with peyton as we well know he cant do it by himself alone... plus with a good chance peyton is going to be back i want peyton to be surrounded by the best talent possible..

But if peyton isnt gonna be there, then there's no doubt who has to be drafted.. andrew luck for sure.

Not really but if the colts have to get one and they most likely will they could forefit the extra 1st round pick they would get in the 013 draft to move up and pick a top QB OR with the extra early 2nd round pick they would receive they could get a QB there to learn under manning...

Matt Barkley or Landry Jones both seem like really good QB's... yes i know Andrew Luck is the prized trophy right now, but with peyton as we well know he cant do it by himself alone... plus with a good chance peyton is going to be back i want peyton to be surrounded by the best talent possible..

But if peyton isnt gonna be there, then there's no doubt who has to be drafted.. andrew luck for sure.

What I am saying is that if the Colts are not 100% percent sure Manning is going to be back to normal then they absolutely have to take Luck or one of the top QBs. They can't have another year of uncertainty at the QB position like this one. All along the Colts thought Manning's minor surgery was no bid deal and he'd be back and able to throw in June or July, then what happens? He can't play and we get caught with our pants around our ankles completely unprepared to put a competent football team on the field. With that being said, no matter what they think about Manning, if the Colts think Andrew Luck is going to be a great QB, multiple pro-bowl appearances, then they have to take him. You let him sit behind Manning for a year or two, then you start trying to figure out a way to get Manning out of town.

It had been reported that last year and the year before, Peyton was having difficulty handing the ball off on certain plays that required him to run, such as the stretch play. He was not able to run as fast as he used to, mainly due to tired and sore legs. He was missing hand offs at times during practice. This led the Colts to use the stretch play less during games. This is evidence that although Peyton played through a lot of pain with his shoulder,he was still aging. His shoulder next season may feel better, but his body will still continue to age. His body will be sore and tired throughout the season as with age comes a slower recovery.

What people fear is opportunity loss. What if we pass up on Luck, trade the number 1 pick for more draft picks and build a solid team around Manning, but Manning is just not the same afterwards. It's reasonable to think so after 3 surgeries for the same issue, after missing an entire season, and his continued aging. We would miss out on the opportunity to draft someone who gives us arguably the best shot at keeping the winning tradition established by Manning.

How do you know? I am not saying you are wrong because frankly I am from the school of thought none of us really do know. There are cases of players coming back from this so it's not like this has never happened. Again, my point you don't know for a fact that Peyton Manning is never going to play like he did in the past just like no one knows for a fact that he will play like that again.

It's simple players overall performance levels decline as they age, add into that injuries and such you are going to see the overall performance of any player decline at a great rate. Given the severity of what has happen to Peyton, the odds of him performing on the level he did say a few seasons back is unreal. Now can he still be an effective QB, sure, there is that chance, but his level of performance is never going to improve and we need to begin the process of replacing him with the best option available.

It had been reported that last year and the year before, Peyton was having difficulty handing the ball off on certain plays that required him to run, such as the stretch play. He was not able to run as fast as he used to, mainly due to tired and sore legs. He was missing hand offs at times during practice. This led the Colts to use the stretch play less during games. This is evidence that although Peyton played through a lot of pain with his shoulder,he was still aging. His shoulder next season may feel better, but his body will still continue to age. His body will be sore and tired throughout the season as with age comes a slower recovery.

What people fear is opportunity loss. What if we pass up on Luck, trade the number 1 pick for more draft picks and build a solid team around Manning, but Manning is just not the same afterwards. It's reasonable to think so after 3 surgeries for the same issue, after missing an entire season, and his continued aging. We would miss out on the opportunity to draft someone who gives us arguably the best shot at keeping the winning tradition established by Manning.

I agree with most of this but if you draft Luck, it's not because they are afraid to pass on him, it is because they think he is the best player to draft for the Colts. Quarterback is by far the most important position on the field, and when you're QB is 36 years and and coming off his 3rd neck surgery, it is hard to believe that he will be able to play at the same level.

It's simple players overall performance levels decline as they age, add into that injuries and such you are going to see the overall performance of any player decline at a great rate. Given the severity of what has happen to Peyton, the odds of him performing on the level he did say a few seasons back is unreal. Now can he still be an effective QB, sure, there is that chance, but his level of performance is never going to improve and we need to begin the process of replacing him with the best option available.

Yes they decline over time and yes age is going to catch up to Peyton Manning but you have no way in the world of knowing exactly when that is going to happen to Peyton Manning like you are trying to pretend you do. That's my point. Like I said no one knows what he is going to be like if he comes back from this so don't try to pretend like you do because you don't just like people who say he is going to come back and play at a high level don't know either which is why taking Luck is the smart move which is what I am in favor of doing because yes Manning is closer to the end of his career than the start of it any way you slice it but at the sametime Manning could come back and play at a very high level for the next two to three years or he could come back like Marvin and be done no one knows if we did what to do with Manning and Luck would be a no brainer.

What I am saying is that if the Colts are not 100% percent sure Manning is going to be back to normal then they absolutely have to take Luck or one of the top QBs. They can't have another year of uncertainty at the QB position like this one. All along the Colts thought Manning's minor surgery was no bid deal and he'd be back and able to throw in June or July, then what happens? He can't play and we get caught with our pants around our ankles completely unprepared to put a competent football team on the field. With that being said, no matter what they think about Manning, if the Colts think Andrew Luck is going to be a great QB, multiple pro-bowl appearances, then they have to take him. You let him sit behind Manning for a year or two, then you start trying to figure out a way to get Manning out of town.

To be honest i dont care about pro bowl apperances because that will not help the TEAM, i care about the colts as a whole and right now if the QB isnt P-money they colts will have a hard time winning games unless they spread the talent on their team.. The colts WILL be sure because if they arent then peyton should not be on the team as hard as that sounds you cant just keep carrying an expensive peyton and hope he gets better, they will either release him or peyton has a clean bill of health and is ready to play which is why he is still on the roster to see what he is gonna be like before the season ends.... If peyton is healthy the colts should skip Luck and trade down and get a QB later in the draft by trading up again.

OK, a couple off disclaimers right of the bat:

- I don't watch much College ball so I can't really evaluate Luck or any of the prospects.

- I don't know if Manning will be back

- I don't know if he will be 100% or will be an injury risk or not.

So, with that being said, if there is any question about Manning's health, at all, I say we take Luck.

If there is no question, it still might be the thing to do.

IF it is deamed that Luck is head and tails above everyone else and is a once in every 10 year prospect, you have to take him. I guess we could trade the pick for a fortune but with the amount of QB's that are rated highly in the draft and the amount of teams that aren't actually looking for a quarterback, we might be surprised to find that no one is going to give us an offer that we can't refuse.

I sort of look at it this way, if you could go back in time would you have traded the #1 pick we used to get Peyton for multiple choices becasue "we had lot's of other needs" I don't think you would. Now I know that there is no garuntee that Luck will come even close to Peyton, but if it is determined that he is THE guy, then it makes sense. We still have the top pick in the second round which is almost like a first rounder and the top pick in the 3rd etc..

Anyway, the bottom line is "I don't know"! and guess what, no one else does either, including BP ( oops I shouldn't have said that. )

Hey, who do you think is better Orlovsky or Brady?

I like the move to draft Luck. I love Peyton just as much as any Colts fan, but realistically you can't expect a 35 year old man coming off 3 neck surgeries to play at a high level for more than 2 or 3 years max. We all know Peyton is a perfectionist and puts the team above himself and once he knows he's declining and Andrew has become better than him he'll hang 'em up and spend retirement raising his kids.

Remember Peyton Manning's quote in 1998 to Bill Polian that if you don't pick me I'm gonna kick your butt for the next 15 years? That's what's going to happen to Luck. I really hope Peyton comes back and wins another Super Bowl before he rides off into the sunset, but we can't let this franchise fall apart after he's gone for good. We need to draft Andrew Luck.

Trade Manning.

I'm not endorsing Luck, I never watch a single snap of his game. But,

1. I have the utmost respect for Manning and I sincerely want to see him win another ring or two. He can't do that with the Colts.

2. The Colts need rebuilding on every aspect and they can't do that with Manning's salary cap.

Trade Manning.

1. I have the utmost respect for Manning and I sincerely want to see him win another ring or two. He can't do that with the Colts.

2. The Colts need rebuilding on every aspect and they can't do that with Manning's salary cap.

Would be hard to trade manning, very hard.

Polian is right if the teams quits wasting money on a few players, #11, #4, #50, #71, #92, #35, #7, #6, #67 and a couple of others that can't be mentioned without starting a thread flame throwing contest.

Drafting Andrew Luck has nothing to do with money. The players you mention are hardly making any money at all this season, combined. Most of them are in really inexpensive rookie contracts.

On top of that, the #1 draft pick is no longer a king's ransom. Cam Newton's contract is four years, $22 million. Let's say the #1 pick this year is four years, $26 million, or $6.5 million a year. You pay a backup quarterback about $4 million a year. You draft someone that has a chance to be a great quarterback in the future, and you pay him a little bit more. The money isn't the issue.

Even if you trade down to say #5, you're still paying someone $4.5 million a year (based on Patrick Peterson's contract). If he's a starting corner or safety or something, that's more palatable than having a backup quarterback getting money for sitting on the bench, but you're going to have a backup quarterback getting money for sitting on the bench anyways.

Taking all the scenarios into consideration, money isn't an issue as it pertains to drafting a quarterback at the top of the first round.

Wow really? Let's not fix any of the holes in our team or anything...

How does drafting a quarterback with the first pick preclude us from being able to address other issues on the team?

Edit: My ultimate scenario would be to trade down and take Matt Barkley, and improve our draft position for next two years in the process. But Matt Barkley might not come out. And I think he and Andrew Luck are significantly better as pro prospects than anyone else that will be in the draft. Either way, I think this is the time to take a quarterback in the first round, and if you're going to do that, and you have a chance to draft one of the best prospects of the last ecade, I think you do it and never look back.

Trade Manning.

Well this trade thing has been discussed before and it's something in his contract about not being able to be traded and if the Colts would want to part ways with Peyton they would have to release him and he could become a FA. I for one don't see Irsay doing anything unless Peyton isn't 100% and then I think it would be taken out of the organization's hands and Peyton would retire if he can't play at 100%. That's just my opinion for what it's worth. Who's to say that Peyton may also restructure his contract because he has also done that previously. Only time will tell what is going to happen.

Trade Manning.

Due to when Peyton get's his roster bonus it is pretty much impossiable to trade Manning

Well this trade thing has been discussed before and it's something in his contract about not being able to be traded and if the Colts would want to part ways with Peyton they would have to release him and he could become a FA. I for one don't see Irsay doing anything unless Peyton isn't 100% and then I think it would be taken out of the organization's hands and Peyton would retire if he can't play at 100%. That's just my opinion for what it's worth. Who's to say that Peyton may also restructure his contract because he has also done that previously. Only time will tell what is going to happen.

Peyton Can be traded, its just the fact that who's gonna pay that 28mil and give their 1st round pick for him as well... idk many teams who would be willing to do that.

i totally agree. if manning is healthy...he is a colt! if he is not healthy, i think he retires! But i 100% believe he will wear the horseshoe on his helmet until he is ready to retire (and thats the way it should be) imo.