Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian- Colts Can Afford Both Manning & Rookie Qb As First Round Draft Pick

bayone

It would only be as such if, after evaluating Manning, he plays line he's 36. He certainly played younger than 35 WITH the pain. That pain will now be gone.

It's cute to repeat what the radio mouth-breathers are spouting, but that doesn't make it a relevant argument. Dan Patrick and Colin Cowherd said the same thing, word for word, because that's their job. They stir the pot to create conversation.

The fact is, this surgery alleviated exactly what was holding him back. The facts show that he was playing better than any 35 year old player in NFL history, despite the discomfort. The facts show that nearly every athlete makes a full recovery from this procedure, DB's excepting, for whatever reason.

Think for yourself, for a change. Drafting Luck would be LESS logical than stacking in defense and picks. This is a "win now" league. Not a "maybe in five years we will have the Rodgers scenario" league.

i think you are exactly right! i traveled to a few away games last season. i stayed in a hotel once with some "family" members of a couple of players. now although they were not employees of the colts organization, they said they had heard that he had been really having problems with numbness and pain all last season. they believed (atleast i think they were told) that it may have had an effect on (not all) but SOME of the interceptions peyton threw last year. this surgery, if successful, should significally alleviate those symptoms and bring him back to his preinjury form. i really dont think his age is going to have as much of a factor as some of you are saying. its like dallas clark said... peyton doesnt rely so much on arm strength, he just knows how to lead his receivers perfectly. i think its possible he could come back and play for 4 or 5 years(if healthy) at an extemely high level! i also think that because he has had to sit out this year, you will see a "man on a mission" next season. could be really exciting! he is just that type of guy. i wouldnt underestimate what he will still be capable of doing. but...hopefully the rest of the league will!!!

i think you are exactly right! i traveled to a few away games last season. i stayed in a hotel once with some "family" members of a couple of players. now although they were not employees of the colts organization, they said they had heard that he had been really having problems with numbness and pain all last season. they believed (atleast i think they were told) that it may have had an effect on (not all) but SOME of the interceptions peyton threw last year. this surgery, if successful, should significally alleviate those symptoms and bring him back to his preinjury form. i really dont think his age is going to have as much of a factor as some of you are saying. its like dallas clark said... peyton doesnt rely so much on arm strength, he just knows how to lead his receivers perfectly. i think its possible he could come back and play for 4 or 5 years(if healthy) at an extemely high level! i also think that because he has had to sit out this year, you will see a "man on a mission" next season. could be really exciting! he is just that type of guy. i wouldnt underestimate what he will still be capable of doing. but...hopefully the rest of the league will!!!

Couldn't agree more with you and doogan. The surgery should help Manning, career-saving is what i heard. Peyton's best talent was his ability to mentally understand the game and he still has that. I really do think Peyton will return next year and his play will be at a mvp level.

It had been reported that last year and the year before, Peyton was having difficulty handing the ball off on certain plays that required him to run, such as the stretch play. He was not able to run as fast as he used to, mainly due to tired and sore legs. He was missing hand offs at times during practice. This led the Colts to use the stretch play less during games. This is evidence that although Peyton played through a lot of pain with his shoulder,he was still aging. His shoulder next season may feel better, but his body will still continue to age. His body will be sore and tired throughout the season as with age comes a slower recovery.

What people fear is opportunity loss. What if we pass up on Luck, trade the number 1 pick for more draft picks and build a solid team around Manning, but Manning is just not the same afterwards. It's reasonable to think so after 3 surgeries for the same issue, after missing an entire season, and his continued aging. We would miss out on the opportunity to draft someone who gives us arguably the best shot at keeping the winning tradition established by Manning.

You do realize that last year peyton was playing through the pain of that 2nd neck surgery... he was not fully healthy which is why he was a bit off on some of his throws... he played through the pain. Peyton will comback fully healthy if he is cleared to play.. the colts dont want no half peyton.... being sore only lasts for so long.

You do realize that last year peyton was playing through the pain of that 2nd neck surgery... he was not fully healthy which is why he was a bit off on some of his throws... he played through the pain. Peyton will comback fully healthy if he is cleared to play.. the colts dont want no half peyton.... being sore only lasts for so long.

Didn't Peyton have the 2nd surgery In May before the lockout ended and the 3rd surgery in September? If he had any discomfort last season it had to be because the 1st surgery didn't work. It wasn't about being fully healed. His initial surgeries were just a quick fix in an attempt to avoid the fusion surgery.

Smitto, yes of course I get that e had played through pain last season. My point is that with the shoulder pain aside, he will still have the usual pain and soreness that's associated with the NFL, specailly at the quarterback position. As he gets older, his body will have a harder time recovering and the soreness actually gets worse, not better. This will lead to a natural decline in production as we have seen with many aging quarterbacks. In addition, as I stated he has been out of football for a year and coming off of his third surgery. There is some legitimate cause for concern.

If they keep Manning AND take Luck I have no idea how the colts will fill all the other glaring holes. . . I'm for one or the other, either go all in for Manning or all in for Luck.

Even if they go all in with Luck they will have to still fix those holes but they can spend some money in F/A

If they keep Manning AND take Luck I have no idea how the colts will fill all the other glaring holes. . . I'm for one or the other, either go all in for Manning or all in for Luck.

Even if they go all in with Luck they will have to still fix those holes but they can spend some money in F/A

If we get Luck, it doesn't mean that we give up on fixing the glaring holes on the team. When we drafted Peyton Manning we kept drafting other players too. Peyton's first year, we had a losing season and kept building the team. It took time. We can't be so shortsighted and think that if we draft Luck we need instant gratification. It will take time to fill the holes on this team, but at least the most important position on the field will be addressed.

1) How does anyone know the health of PM?

With Polian saying this, I guess the "We can't afford Luck argument is out the window." .

How do any of you know if Peyton will play another down? Just because he gets surgery does not mean the chances of him coming back are 100%. As we have seen with Peyton, he might has to go back and get ANOTHER surgery. And who knows IF he'll come back playing like vintage Peyton. Many people here are making the assumption that Peyton will come back like normal. I'm not saying he won't or will, I'm just pointing out the fact that WE don't know until that day comes where we have to sign him, release him, or he retires. That's just reality.

And also, this could just be another scheme by Polian. It's chance he could be playing as if we are drafting Luck just to make the teams desperate and up the ante.

And I for one would like to draft Luck and also wouldn't mind if we traded the pick, so I'm on both sides of the argument. But please do not make an argument assuming something (Luck will dominate right out the gate, Peyton will come back 100%, etc.) when we as fans do not know this. And then to make it seem as your argument is right and everyone is stupid is wrong. *Rant Off*

If we get Luck, it doesn't mean that we give up on fixing the glaring holes on the team. When we drafted Peyton Manning we kept drafting other players too. Peyton's first year, we had a losing season and kept building the team. It took time. We can't be so shortsighted and think that if we draft Luck we need instant gratification. It will take time to fill the holes on this team, but at least the most important position on the field will be addressed.

Yeah but we didn't have a QB making 90 million and a #1 overall pick making 25-30 million.

With Polian saying this, I guess the "We can't afford Luck argument is out the window." .

How do any of you know if Peyton will play another down? Just because he gets surgery does not mean the chances of him coming back are 100%. As we have seen with Peyton, he might has to go back and get ANOTHER surgery. And who knows IF he'll come back playing like vintage Peyton. Many people here are making the assumption that Peyton will come back like normal. I'm not saying he won't or will, I'm just pointing out the fact that WE don't know until that day comes where we have to sign him, release him, or he retires. That's just reality.

And also, this could just be another scheme by Polian. It's chance he could be playing as if we are drafting Luck just to make the teams desperate and up the ante.

And I for one would like to draft Luck and also wouldn't mind if we traded the pick, so I'm on both sides of the argument. But please do not make an argument assuming something (Luck will dominate right out the gate, Peyton will come back 100%, etc.) when we as fans do not know this. And then to make it seem as your argument is right and everyone is stupid is wrong. *Rant Off*

This is exactly right. Anyone claiming to know that Manning either will or will not play has no idea what they are talking about. So many people on here have said things leading me to believe that they have no doubt that Manning will be back 100% next year. No one knows at this point, not even Manning. Yes he had surgery but the last time he spoke to the media about his condition, he said the nerve still wasn't coming back. To me, that doesn't sound good.

Have you seen the defense that the colts have put up in manning's era? now just imagine if they decide to keep both... how will they keep a mathis, or anderson or brayton and sims... those players have produced and letting them go for some UFA will not fix the problem because those UFA were undrafted for a reason.

Smitto, yes of course I get that e had played through pain last season. My point is that with the shoulder pain aside, he will still have the usual pain and soreness that's associated with the NFL, specailly at the quarterback position. As he gets older, his body will have a harder time recovering and the soreness actually gets worse, not better. This will lead to a natural decline in production as we have seen with many aging quarterbacks. In addition, as I stated he has been out of football for a year and coming off of his third surgery. There is some legitimate cause for concern.

Well you can look at Favre and see when he retired and look at when he had his best year... dont under estimate the human body especially a player like manning who hasnt taken alot of hits in his career.

Yeah but we didn't have a QB making 90 million and a #1 overall pick making 25-30 million.

I would have to assume that Polian and Irsay have a better handle on the Colts financial situation and when they say that they could afford both, I'd go with that.

dont try to sound rationale. haha you are right but that's not what fans do. In 15 years we can look back at this and know who was right and wrong. Hopefully tomorrow will shine light on the situation. I'm on the keep peyton side but if he is not healthy and cannot play ever again then i would be open to drafting luck. Till i know otherwise i'll keep my support behind peyton.

It had been reported that last year and the year before, Peyton was having difficulty handing the ball off on certain plays that required him to run, such as the stretch play. He was not able to run as fast as he used to, mainly due to tired and sore legs. He was missing hand offs at times during practice. This led the Colts to use the stretch play less during games. This is evidence that although Peyton played through a lot of pain with his shoulder,he was still aging. His shoulder next season may feel better, but his body will still continue to age. His body will be sore and tired throughout the season as with age comes a slower recovery.

What people fear is opportunity loss. What if we pass up on Luck, trade the number 1 pick for more draft picks and build a solid team around Manning, but Manning is just not the same afterwards. It's reasonable to think so after 3 surgeries for the same issue, after missing an entire season, and his continued aging. We would miss out on the opportunity to draft someone who gives us arguably the best shot at keeping the winning tradition established by Manning.

After a year of rest, I don't think the tired legs will be an issue. He spoke with Elway, Marino, and Favre at length about keeping their bodies going at an advanced age and has since taken more to fitness than he did earlier in his career.

Luck is not the best shot at keeping the winning tradition alive, arguably or otherwise. Peyton Manning is, because he's done it, and he's as sure as it gets in the NFL. Luck could also be a colossal flop, incapable of winning outside of Stanford. There will be other QB prospects when we need them.

I am willing to wager that 99% of the people (on these boards) who REALLY want Luck to be a Colt have never studied, scouted, or even watched the kid play. They are watching Aaron Rodgers play, and assuming that's what is going to happen.

dont try to sound rationale. haha you are right but that's not what fans do. In 15 years we can look back at this and know who was right and wrong. Hopefully tomorrow will shine light on the situation. I'm on the keep peyton side but if he is not healthy and cannot play ever again then i would be open to drafting luck. Till i know otherwise i'll keep my support behind peyton.

I agree. Hopefully tomorrow will shed some light on the situation.

However, that could only mean that he's been cleared to practice.

If he's not cleared to practice, that doesn't mean that he's done, but I'm guessing that's what many will read into it.

Let me just try to throw in my first hand experience, as I had the same surgery around the same time as Peyton. It is far too early to know if his surgery was a success or whether he will play again. I have weakness in my arm as well, but that is completely expected. They told me that at 3 months, the fusion would start, and it would then take likely another 3 months for the fusion to be completed. So it is likely 6 months after surgery that Peyton will be fully healed and then he will know. I think it is far too early to say where Peyton will be next year. I think February is a more likely timeframe to know where he stands, as his December appointment isn't likely to say anymore then how well the fusion is taking hold.

Now, I will say that this surgery should make Peytons neck as solid as it was before his injury, so I doubt if he played we would see a mediocre Peyton playing because he should not be limited by it. The ONLY way he is toast is that if his nerve simply doesn't regenerate, which is a very small chance of happening considering his age, the kind of shape he is in, and the level of doctors who are likely monitoring him and checking everything possible.

I personally would be shocked if Peyton isn't playing next year and having a great season for the Colts.

After a year of rest, I don't think the tired legs will be an issue. He spoke with Elway, Marino, and Favre at length about keeping their bodies going at an advanced age and has since taken more to fitness than he did earlier in his career.

Luck is not the best shot at keeping the winning tradition alive, arguably or otherwise. Peyton Manning is, because he's done it, and he's as sure as it gets in the NFL. Luck could also be a colossal flop, incapable of winning outside of Stanford. There will be other QB prospects when we need them.

I am willing to wager that 99% of the people (on these boards) who REALLY want Luck to be a Colt have never studied, scouted, or even watched the kid play. They are watching Aaron Rodgers play, and assuming that's what is going to happen.

Doogan, I am all for Peyton Manning coming back and having a productive season. I think that would be the best case scenario. I am simply stating that I have concerns about Manning.

You are right in that Luck could end up being a colassal flop, but so could every single prospect that enters the NFL. At some point we will have to draft someone to be Manning's successor.

You may be right that most of the people on the forum haven't watch Luck play and are simply stating everything that they hear on ESPN, not sure about that though.

Not really but if the colts have to get one and they most likely will they could forefit the extra 1st round pick they would get in the 013 draft to move up and pick a top QB OR with the extra early 2nd round pick they would receive they could get a QB there to learn under manning...

Matt Barkley or Landry Jones both seem like really good QB's... yes i know Andrew Luck is the prized trophy right now, but with peyton as we well know he cant do it by himself alone... plus with a good chance peyton is going to be back i want peyton to be surrounded by the best talent possible..

But if peyton isnt gonna be there, then there's no doubt who has to be drafted.. andrew luck for sure.

They cannot pass up on this kid, it would be like passing on Manning/Brees/Elway/Marino, elite QBs with true elite potential do not grow on trees and this kid's potential for being a true field general far outreaches that of Cam Newton and any of the others that have came out over the last few years.If the pick is theirs, and it will be, they had better get him and be happy about it.

So what if they pick him and he sits a year or 2, the draft wouldn't be a wash because of that, they would still have the 33rd pick which is not too far removed from where they pick at every year for the 1st round anyway and having a guy like Luck waiting in the wings is one heck of an insurance policy for continued stability at the QB position. IMO it's a no brainer unless some coach/GM pulls a Ditka and gives us his team's complete draft picks for this year and the #1 for next, but even then I would still lean torwards keeping Luck based on pure abilty, intelligence and potential to be an all time great.

They cannot pass up on this kid, it would be like passing on Manning/Brees/Elway/Marino, elite QBs with true elite potential do not grow on trees and this kid's potential for being a true field general far outreaches that of Cam Newton and any of the others that have came out over the last few years.If the pick is theirs, and it will be, they had better get him and be happy about it.

So what if they pick him and he sits a year or 2, the draft wouldn't be a wash because of that, they would still have the 33rd pick which is not too far removed from where they pick at every year for the 1st round anyway and having a guy like Luck waiting in the wings is one heck of an insurance policy for continued stability at the QB position. IMO it's a no brainer unless some coach/GM pulls a Ditka and gives us his team's complete draft picks for this year and the #1 for next, but even then I would still lean torwards keeping Luck based on pure abilty, intelligence and potential to be an all time great.

Youve had too much of that koolaide mate, Ever since Matt Ryan came out every QB that has came out of the draft has been a pretty good or very good QB for their team... and like ive said before players are gonna keep getting better and college football is grooming guys to be more NFL ready... so do i think Andrew Luck is a special apple? NO!! and a big one by that, there are many like him... what makes Luck unique is that his coaches let him call some of the plays on the field LIKE manning which is why they compare him to manning.. if it wasnt for that they would compare him to John Elway...

Luck doesnt do anything special, he doesnt fly across the field throwing passes and catching them the same time he's a QB that understands the game and has all the assets to be successful.. is he the only one that has that? NO... what separates him is his numbers and thats about it.

Forgot who said it but some college coaches said Blarkly ( spelling ) gave them alot more trouble than Luck

Well you can look at Favre and see when he retired and look at when he had his best year... dont under estimate the human body especially a player like manning who hasnt taken alot of hits in his career.

Manning hasnt taken sacks, believe me i have many a picture and as a Dr i watched him specifically for what happens after he throws that fast release and believe me players about to get to him cant stop that fast and my pictures show tons of crushing hits, legal yes,. but punishing never the less right after his release esp last 2 years , u have to watch for it though and not just follow the play when he throws to see it, or go to the indy star and nfl/ etc archives of games to review still shots, u would be amazed at the punishment he took

I published a lot on the old my colts and finally had to stop as many a member said its enough and couldnt stand it and got the point about the OL I was making

Manning hasnt taken sacks, believe me i have many a picture and as a Dr i watched him specifically for what happens after he throws that fast release and believe me players about to get to him cant stop that fast and my pictures show tons of crushing hits, legal yes,. but punishing never the less right after his release esp last 2 years , u have to watch for it though and not just follow the play when he throws to see it, or go to the indy star and nfl/ etc archives of games to review still shots, u would be amazed at the punishment he took

I published a lot on the old my colts and finally had to stop as many a member said its enough and couldnt stand it and got the point about the OL I was making

Yea i agree those are shots but not hits.. the kind im talking about is when a defender sends you to the ground while still on you, now that is some pain and i dont think he's taken many of that... which is good means he hasnt taken much of a beating compared to most QB's....

But all in all Polian was just saying that they could afford that but i dont think they would do that... just cause they can afford it doesnt mean its a good idea and i think they know that... not to mention Bill Polian is the one running this team so i wouldnt pay attention to what he says.... he's the same guy that said "painter is the QB for the rest of the season" look how that turned out.

Yea i agree those are shots but not hits.. the kind im talking about is when a defender sends you to the ground while still on you, now that is some pain and i dont think he's taken many of that... which is good means he hasnt taken much of a beating compared to most QB's....

But all in all Polian was just saying that they could afford that but i dont think they would do that... just cause they can afford it doesnt mean its a good idea and i think they know that... not to mention Bill Polian is the one running this team so i wouldnt pay attention to what he says.... he's the same guy that said "painter is the QB for the rest of the season" look how that turned out.

I agree. They're being hounded by the press asking all kinds of questions about Luck. Can the team afford both? Can they both co-exist? Is Manning OK with drafting a QB early? etc etc. All Polian and Irsay are doing is answering these questions and of course that makes a few people get happy pants because it obviously means the Colts ARE GOING TO draft Luck. No, it doesn't mean that at all. It means they're answering questions about the feasibility of the situation. They might very well draft Luck but I don't believe for a second that that decision has been made and it won't be until after interviews, private workouts and the combine. Polian has also been very careful to repeatedly say they will draft a QB early but it has to be the right guy and the right situation....ie a well qualified, talented QB who is also ok with being #2 behind Manning for as long as Manning is healthy.

To think that age isn't a factor is kinda silly, no athlete gets better with age after he passes his mid 30's and especially in football.

You know what's silly, a Tiddlywinks championship. http://www.tiddlywinks.org/tournaments/natwa/championships.html

'

There were plenty of those , in fact in first texan game last year about 5 and on 1 his neck was crooked, he lay on the ground motionless, ed hocklalees ( spelling ) the ref was kneeling over him looked up at the bench and appeared to start to call for help whern Peyton suddenly moved and pushed himself up

IN many a game was driven to ground but that was the only time I saw motionless

as far as other hits go to this profil page of direct colts member gordon38 ,scroll little past half way down to first large picture , this was denver game last year , u can't say that sandwhich hit by 2 players and the look on peytons face doesnt spell pain, and when hit like that your neck gets snapped around even though it wasnt hit & this was mild compared to many of the others I have pictures of

http://direct.colts....iles_friendList

I agree. They're being hounded by the press asking all kinds of questions about Luck. Can the team afford both? Can they both co-exist? Is Manning OK with drafting a QB early? etc etc. All Polian and Irsay are doing is answering these questions and of course that makes a few people get happy pants because it obviously means the Colts ARE GOING TO draft Luck. No, it doesn't mean that at all. It means they're answering questions about the feasibility of the situation. They might very well draft Luck but I don't believe for a second that that decision has been made and it won't be until after interviews, private workouts and the combine. Polian has also been very careful to repeatedly say they will draft a QB early but it has to be the right guy and the right situation....ie a well qualified, talented QB who is also ok with being #2 behind Manning for as long as Manning is healthy.

You know what's silly, a Tiddlywinks championship. http://www.tiddlywin...mpionships.html

Exactly, there's no doubt the colts are gonna draft a QB in the 1st round... question is who and where, i personally would love the colts to keep manning but at the same time i wouldnt want him crippling the team and if the case was peyton not being healthy best thing to do would be to get the best QB available cause we all know what having one can do, and the best QB would be Luck no doubt.

'

There were plenty of those , in fact in first texan game last year about 5 and on 1 his neck was crooked, he lay on the ground motionless, ed hocklalees ( spelling ) the ref was kneeling over him looked up at the bench and appeared to start to call for help whern Peyton suddenly moved and pushed himself up

IN many a game was driven to ground but that was the only time I saw motionless

as far as other hits go to this profil page of direct colts member gordon38 ,scroll little past half way down to first large picture , this was denver game last year , u can't say that sandwhich hit by 2 players and the look on peytons face doesnt spell pain, and when hit like that your neck gets snapped around even though it wasnt hit & this was mild compared to many of the others I have pictures of

http://direct.colts....iles_friendList

Hmmm well maybe the the fewest sacks in the league was a bit misleading then, these days its pretty much illegal to hit QBs like that when the ball is out... Peyton has taken his share of hits but not as nearly as much as the rest of the QB's in the league which is due to his quick release... especially if you compare him to someone like brett favre

Fans don't have to since all of the scouts are the ones that calling Luck the best prospect in a decade or so and have been saying this for sometime. ( not a flavor of the month, Ryan Leaf kind of hype)

Fans don't have to since all of the scouts are the ones that calling Luck the best prospect in a decade or so and have been saying this for sometime. ( not a flavor of the month, Ryan Leaf kind of hype)

that is the whole problem with luck. Every analyst built him up as the goat last year and now this year no one is willing to reevaluate him. Not saying luck isnt good but from closely watching him this year he looks to just be a good qb. Not a hof like everyone makes him out to be.

that is the whole problem with luck. Every analyst built him up as the goat last year and now this year no one is willing to reevaluate him. Not saying luck isnt good but from closely watching him this year he looks to just be a good qb. Not a hof like everyone makes him out to be.

Here is a statement that I had posted on another thread that may also address what you've mentioned.

If I were to scout Andrew Luck this year, I wouldn't be too impressed. I know that a lot of the hype from last year has carried onto this year, which got me to thinking...

What has changed from last year to this year? The obvious answer to me is the personnel. He had more deep threat receivers to throw to last year. This year, his main targets are his tight ends. This has caused for the offense to focus more on the running game (I am aware that they ran a lot last year). The focus is now more on the running game because of the personnel and having giant tight ends that can both catch and block.

I think that shows Lucks ability to adjust to a different type of offense. And although his numbers aren't amazing this year, he is still averaging 70% completion and an 8.6 yards per attempt, which is amongst the highest in the Pac-12. This shows that he does take shots down the field and is not a dink and dunk passer. And this is while operating out of a pro-style offense.

If you take into account his entire body of work, it is impressive.