Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our Ring Of Honor Is Really Pretty Sad

objectivecoltsfan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean seriously, Jim Harbaugh? Chris Hinton? Bill Brooks. All nice players but it kind of speaks to how pathetic the Colts organization was in Indianapolis before Manning that all these decent players are in our ring of honor.

That's why it's a Ring of Honor and not a Hall of Fame.

Also as someone who lived thre Jim Harbaugh's magical run in 1995 he earned his spot up there. Yes it was sad before Manning but that one year in 1995 started everything since the the Colts have gone to the playoffs 13 times in 17 years. It breathed life back into what was a dead franchise.

Time to blame the current coaches for a bad Ring of Honor, right? It's got to be their fault.

Forget that Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Gary Brackett, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and Peyton Manning will all be up there in a few years. Our current FO is so terrible, that they will single-handedly put more people in that Ring of Honor, and the Hall of Fame, than anyone previously tied to this organization.

Time to blame the current coaches for a bad Ring of Honor, right? It's got to be their fault.

Forget that Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Gary Brackett, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and Peyton Manning will all be up there in a few years. Our current FO is so terrible, that they will single-handedly put more people in that Ring of Honor, and the Hall of Fame, than anyone previously tied to this organization.

You really think Clark/Brackett make ring of honor? Heck I think Mathis is questionable. Clark won't sniff it. Brackett could possibly be towel holder during ceremonies I suppose.

I mean seriously, Jim Harbaugh? Chris Hinton? Bill Brooks. All nice players but it kind of speaks to how pathetic the Colts organization was in Indianapolis before Manning that all these decent players are in our ring of honor.

True. As a Colts fan since well before 1984 it is disturbing that the previous greats are left to Baltimore. I would actually prefer that the complete history had been brought forward and honored appropriately, or that the complete history had been left in Baltimore, with Indy treated as a new entity (like happened with the Browns/Ravens). This disjointed result we have now - where so many fans can't forget the past, but the team itself would seem to prefer to pretend that it never existed - is disturbing. All Colts fans should be proud of Johnny Unitas and all the rest. The Colts ring of honor should be the envy of the league.

Topic for a larger debate, but after all the franchise moves you have to look back and ask, what exactly was the point of torturing all the fans in Baltimore, Cleveland, Houston, and St Louis by moving their teams, when the cities are apparently more than capable of supporting franchises after all? (Can't really figure out what the deal is with LA though - very strange). But couldn't they have just put expansion teams in Nashville and Indy (instead of Houston and Cleveland), and moved the Rams down the road to Phoenix, and saved a whole lot of people a whole lot of pain? Pretty ridiculous if you think about it. Similarly I was always amused by the threats of the Colts moving from Indy to LA, considering that the Irsays were in LA before they traded franchises to get to Baltimore in the first place. "Make up your mind already". I'm sure that the Colts have been in Indy long enough for the fans to agree at this point, that a team "belongs" to a city as much as it does to an owner. It shouldn't be so easy for them to get up and go. If the Colts left Indy at this point I would be just as disturbed as I was when they left Baltimore.

Mathis, Clark, and Brackett?? uhhhhh

True. As a Colts fan since well before 1984 it is disturbing that the previous greats are left to Baltimore. I would actually prefer that the complete history had been brought forward and honored appropriately, or that the complete history had been left in Baltimore, with Indy treated as a new entity (like happened with the Browns/Ravens). This disjointed result we have now - where so many fans can't forget the past, but the team itself would seem to prefer to pretend that it never existed - is disturbing. All Colts fans should be proud of Johnny Unitas and all the rest. The Colts ring of honor should be the envy of the league.

Topic for a larger debate, but after all the franchise moves you have to look back and ask, what exactly was the point of torturing all the fans in Baltimore, Cleveland, Houston, and St Louis by moving their teams, when the cities are apparently more than capable of supporting franchises after all? (Can't really figure out what the deal is with LA though - very strange). But couldn't they have just put expansion teams in Nashville and Indy (instead of Houston and Cleveland), and moved the Rams down the road to Phoenix, and saved a whole lot of people a whole lot of pain? Pretty ridiculous if you think about it. Similarly I was always amused by the threats of the Colts moving from Indy to LA, considering that the Irsays were in LA before they traded franchises to get to Baltimore in the first place. "Make up your mind already". I'm sure that the Colts have been in Indy long enough for the fans to agree at this point, that a team "belongs" to a city as much as it does to an owner. It shouldn't be so easy for them to get up and go. If the Colts left Indy at this point I would be just as disturbed as I was when they left Baltimore.

The Rams have all their LA greats on their ROH,Snow,Deacon,Olsen.But if it helps shut up all the Bmore crybabies then I say leave them off the ROH.THey have their jerseys retired anyway.

You really think Clark/Brackett make ring of honor? Heck I think Mathis is questionable. Clark won't sniff it. Brackett could possibly be towel holder during ceremonies I suppose.

Freeney yes and I think Mathis,Brackett no way and Clark doesn't play enough anymore to get on it.

It alternated from goddawful to mediocre for 15 years.

Wish I could +1 this more than once :)

Love your sarcasm. You have a great way of driving home these points with some serious ZING

Whoever breaks this ohfer skid will go up here too.

Eric Dirckerson, Marshall Faulk, Richard Dent are all in the Hall of Fame with Indianapolis Colts listed as teams they played for (unlike baseball they don't make you pick one) Clearly Dent just spent a year here finishing out his career but Faulk and Dickerson are in in part thanks to their time in Indy and IMO should be on the Ring of Honor a head of Bill Brooks and Chris Hinton. The first solo Indianapolis Colt to go to the Hall will probably be Marvin because he retired first. Dungy will go after him and then it's a retiring game for the rest with Edge having an outside shot depending on who he is up against. I would look for Edge to go into the Ring of Honor at some point next year. It seems like they like to put someone in once a year. I think Glenn should also get a look for it.

Only 4 Colts from the last decade deserve to be in the ROH. Manning, James, Harrison, and Freeney

so you think the only head coach in Indianapolis Colts history to win a Super Bowl and the second or third greatest WR (depending on how you feel about Berry) in Colts history and the best center in Colts history don't deserve to go into the Ring of Honor? Interesting. Also if we are going to put Freeney in a strong case could be made for Mathis. It's a Ring of Honor, not a Hall of Fame or retired numbers. Part of the idea of a Ring of Honor is to fill it up and pay respects to guys who might not have been good enough for the Hall of Fame but ment a lot to your fans and your team.

What about Sanders? Do you think his contribution to the playoff run and his 2007 DPOY will be enough to put him in the ring of honor?

As for the current front office it is terrible and the fact that they made some good draft picks and free agent acquisitions over 7 years ago doesn't change that one iota. This is a "what have you done for me lately?" business and lately the front office is doing 0-16 for us.

I don't think it's too far fetched to think Clark will make it. Manning and Freeney are locks. Wayne and James are almost certain.

Really? Clarks lone thousand yard season deserves recognition? He's not that good folks. 9 seasons. 1 Pro Bowl. 1 AP. 3 seasons over 500yds. And this is someone you want/think will represent the best this franchise has to offer? It really is a sad RoH.

Not true at all. Look at all the great Colts players from the 50s, 60s and 70s who are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame - Johnny Unitas, John Mackey, Art Donovan, Ramond Berry, Lenny Moore and...so on. Those are just some of the Hall of Famers we have. If we were to put up the good to very good players from seasons past in addition to our HOFers into the ring of honor there would be dozens of ex-Colts.

To say this FO is somehow the best Colts front office staff in the history of the team is absurd. Also, one can say the two best post Indy move players for the Colts were Tarik Glenn and Marvin Harrison, both drafted by the Bill Tobin era front office. The Colts history did not just suddenly come into existence in 1984. If you want to clarify your post to say you are intentionally excluding any player prior to 1984 or even 1984 to 1997, say so, otherwise it is untrue.

• 1 month later...

Interesting Statement. Compare Chris Hinton's NFL career to any of the offensive Linemen on this year's finalist list and you will see that his career is either comparable or better. And he did it before them. He was a premier Offensive Linemen in his time.No doubt. Talk Pro Bowls and Longevity, Trailblazing, first offensive linemen to ever be name to the Pro Bowl. First NFL player to make it in three different positions. One of only maybe three players to have reached that distinction. That is why Chris was the first player to be name to the Indy Colts Ring of Fame. When Bruce Smith was inducted into the Hall of Fame, Chris Hinton was mentioned as one of Bruce's toughest competitors. This is why he went to Hawaii Seven times...That is the pro bowl. for those who may not have got it. 7 Time. So this is why the Colt Organization and Mike Chappell should push for Chris to be selected. So after looking at Hinton's Accomplishments and compare them to the O.L. finalist of this year you will agree that Hinton should be on the list. Sometimes people may not recognize greatness when it is right in there face.

The OP does have a point about how unimpressive our ring.

Do I really have to be the first to point out the obvious.........

Bill Polian gets much credit for the soon-to-be inductees that will make our ring not so sad and lonely. Actually, he is responsible for the only Indy era HoF'ers.

The OP does have a point about how unimpressive our ring.

Do I really have to be the first to point out the obvious.........

Bill Polian gets much credit for the soon-to-be inductees that will make our ring not so sad and lonely. Actually, he is responsible for the only Indy era HoF'ers.

Eric Dickerson is in the Hall of Fame as a Indianapolis Colt as is Marshall Faulk. Richard Dent even has the Colts on his bust all be it that's just because he played one season here and unlike baseball they let you go in with every team you played for. Still Dickerson and Faulk are in there for in part what they did here in Indy as well as ironicly enough what they both did with the Rams.

So we do have at least two legit Hall of Famers here in Indy that Polian was not responsible for. With that said, neither is in the Ring of Honor and I wouldn't expect either to join the ring either.

Really? Clarks lone thousand yard season deserves recognition? He's not that good folks. 9 seasons. 1 Pro Bowl. 1 AP. 3 seasons over 500yds. And this is someone you want/think will represent the best this franchise has to offer? It really is a sad RoH.

If Antonio Gates didn't play in the AFC, Clark would have 5 probowls instead of 1. The way Clark played was never focused on deep routes or a lot of yards. It was about moving the chains. Too many people have forgotten that and instead only look at the #'s or his production with Painter behind center.

Interesting Statement. Compare Chris Hinton's NFL career to any of the offensive Linemen on this year's finalist list and you will see that his career is either comparable or better. And he did it before them. He was a premier Offensive Linemen in his time.No doubt. Talk Pro Bowls and Longevity, Trailblazing, first offensive linemen to ever be name to the Pro Bowl. First NFL player to make it in three different positions. One of only maybe three players to have reached that distinction. That is why Chris was the first player to be name to the Indy Colts Ring of Fame. When Bruce Smith was inducted into the Hall of Fame, Chris Hinton was mentioned as one of Bruce's toughest competitors. This is why he went to Hawaii Seven times...That is the pro bowl. for those who may not have got it. 7 Time. So this is why the Colt Organization and Mike Chappell should push for Chris to be selected. So after looking at Hinton's Accomplishments and compare them to the O.L. finalist of this year you will agree that Hinton should be on the list. Sometimes people may not recognize greatness when it is right in there face.

are you related?

dancing bear was one of my favorite players back in the day. no-brainer best player indy ever had pre2000 era.

my dad and i used to go to the colts/bills game when he played. i HATED the way bruce smith would do his 'im comin to meet ya, elizabeth' fred sanford sackdance....it seemed like 3 times a game.

those were great days-- we had no idea about pro football-- but were so PROUD to have a team!

Eric Dickerson is in the Hall of Fame as a Indianapolis Colt as is Marshall Faulk. Richard Dent even has the Colts on his bust all be it that's just because he played one season here and unlike baseball they let you go in with every team you played for. Still Dickerson and Faulk are in there for in part what they did here in Indy as well as ironicly enough what they both did with the Rams.

So we do have at least two legit Hall of Famers here in Indy that Polian was not responsible for. With that said, neither is in the Ring of Honor and I wouldn't expect either to join the ring either.

I actually did not know that. Thank you for that!

Well I have no idea what it takes to make it but these are not the "best" to play in Indy ....

Dickerson, Faulk, Belser, Daniel, Bickett, Goose, McCoy were all great Colts ....