Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Rise and Fall of the 2012 Draft

SteelCityColt

As 3 years is considered the benchmark for grading a draft class properly I thought might be fun to discuss how players have turned out as the season unfolds.

To get us started here's a nice article from Grantland:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-2012-nfl-draft/

I find it almost amazing for such a touted draft class it's actually been quite disappointing in some ways, especially at the top end.

I think its fair to assume the first pick was right haha

Not wishing to open old wounds but the only alternative I could see was trading dins, especially when you look what the Rams got for the trade. Could of probably but a team around Peyton to win one maybe two rings, but after that we'd be struggling to find a new QB I'd imagine. Hindsight etc etc.

For the record I think we made the right choice,as tough as it was.

The trade up for Morris Claiborne... Such a Dallas (well Jerry) move.

Not wishing to open old wounds but the only alternative I could see was trading dins, especially when you look what the Rams got for the trade. Could of probably but a team around Peyton to win one maybe two rings, but after that we'd be struggling to find a new QB I'd imagine. Hindsight etc etc.

the history of the nfl was changed during that off-season and only history can tell you if it was the right move

All indications (from the supposed experts at least) was along with Jenkins he was 1 of the top two Corners in that draft though I was much more high on Jenkins though he had character concerns and red flags coming in

You're right that we made the right choice, but I'd take any hindsight asterisk off of the analysis.  Peyton might not have made the playoffs here if we'd have kept him, let alone contended for rings.  He had to be able to handpick a roster that was ready to win for that to occur - which he wisely did.  I don't see any way that we cobble together 11 wins with a statue at QB behind that line - and I love the guy as much as anyone.  I could be wrong.

Manning has always performed below average in the playoffs/super bowl. I honestly don't think we could win a super bowl if we passed on Luck.

Manning has always performed below average in the playoffs/super bowl. I honestly don't think we could win a super bowl if we passed on Luck.

In all fairness Manning's playoff and super bowl records are more related to the team and not the individual player. Out of the playoff loses how many loses came after Manning had a lead in the 4th quarter just to see the poor defense and or special teams give it away? More so than you might think I say.

I'd say by the end of this season you can at least have some pretty informed opinions of how players have turned out.

Thank you for sharing the article. I think it is too early to give up on some guys like Tannehill, Kalil, and even RG3. They have all shown capacity to play well. Give it more time.

Thank you for sharing the article. I think it is too early to give up on some guys like Tannehill, Kalil, and even RG3. They have all shown capacity to play well. Give it more time.

Barring trades and change of system, things of that nature, 3 years is usually the end of the "give it time" period for players. They can have resurgences in new environments, sure, but generally speaking, if it doesn't work after 3 years where they are at, it probably isn't going to work.

I honestly feel if we had traded the pick and kept Manning we would have won a few rings in this AFC. Peyton had weak lines the last few seasons with us and still rarely got sacked. Add to the face that the AFC is weak too... And it's not hard to see us in the big game again.

The Broncos were nothing before Peyton came along, that's how good he is and he could have put our team, with a bunch of first round talent in to the Super Bowl as well.

For the record I like the new regime. I just find it odd how everyone acts like we were a perennial loser before Luck came.

In all fairness Manning's playoff and super bowl records are more related to the team and not the individual player. Out of the playoff loses how many loses came after Manning had a lead in the 4th quarter just to see the poor defense and or special teams give it away? More so than you might think I say.

Youre right about that, once it comes playoff time you will need a good defense. But look at the Super Bowl win against the Bears. He played below average and honestly Wayne, Dominic Rhodes, or Bob Sanders should have had the MVP. Manning has always looked different in the postseason and not in a good way.

Barring trades and change of system, things of that nature, 3 years is usually the end of the "give it time" period for players. They can have resurgences in new environments, sure, but generally speaking, if it doesn't work after 3 years where they are at, it probably isn't going to work.

So, what do you suggest the teams do with these players? Should Miami start Matt Moore or draft another QB high next year?

I hope Matt Kalil improves his play. We were counting on him to be a core player for us for many years but he did not play well last year and he was awful last week. I hope the Vikings don't give up on him.

So, what do you suggest the teams do with these players? Should Miami start Matt Moore or draft another QB high next year?

I hope Matt Kalil improves his play. We were counting on him to be a core player for us for many years but he did not play well last year and he was awful last week. I hope the Vikings don't give up on him.

Basically what I meant was, this was the make or break year for a lot of the 2012 class that so far has underachieved their perceived potential. If many of them don't have their breakout and start performing by the end of this year, teams will look to find their replacements in the offseason and relegate them as backups until either their contract runs out in 2016, or they re sign for backup money and accept the role of second string.

Kalil is an odd one,great rookie season, then a pretty poor one last season. He was injured though, correct me if I'm wrong?

Kalil is an odd one,great rookie season, then a pretty poor one last season. He was injured though, correct me if I'm wrong?

Yes, he was injured. We expected a bounce back year this year but he played poorly the first three games. He played well yesterday, but perhaps it was because Bridgewater was very quick throwing the ball.

Basically what I meant was, this was the make or break year for a lot of the 2012 class that so far has underachieved their perceived potential. If many of them don't have their breakout and start performing by the end of this year, teams will look to find their replacements in the offseason and relegate them as backups until either their contract runs out in 2016, or they re sign for backup money and accept the role of second string.

I get what you're saying. But seriously, do you think Miami should bench Tannehill or draft another QB early in next year's draft? I don't think he has played that poorly but I admit I don't watch him every week.

Youre right about that, once it comes playoff time you will need a good defense. But look at the Super Bowl win against the Bears. He played below average and honestly Wayne, Dominic Rhodes, or Bob Sanders should have had the MVP. Manning has always looked different in the postseason and not in a good way.

You are talking about one game. I was talking about all playoff games he was involved in. I once had a break down of all those games but cant remember what link it was. As best as I can remember Manning had leads and or had the team in a position to win in over 80% of those games. I think the Colts lost a few on the very last play of the game. AKA- field goal and or punt return. Colts were real good at getting a lead then giving up huge kick off yardage.

I get what you're saying. But seriously, do you think Miami should bench Tannehill or draft another QB early in next year's draft? I don't think he has played that poorly but I admit I don't watch him every week.

Outside of the occasional flash, he's never really developed beyond his rookie numbers and appears to be destined for a career of lower-mid tier mediocrity. Can you win with a guy like that? Sure, but it's a lot harder in the modern NFL than it was when Bradshaw was QB of the Steelers, or even Dilfer was with the Ravens. They basically have a really hard choice to make there with Tanny, either stick with him and accept QB play won't be the way your team wins games, or roll the dice and see if you can't get an upgrade from outside.