Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL OK's Peterson to play

Synthetic

Fair Enough.    Let me just say one last thing ~  If I saw marks like that on one of my grandchildren, and I knew they were put there intentionally by someone trying to make a point,  I would do everything in my Power to see that person prosecuted.

Someone needs to stand up and be an advocate for the Child.    Things aren't always about Football.

I'm a selfish and self-centered person when it comes to stuff like this, and I don't trust the legal system in general. So my objective would be to make sure my child was safe from the person who did this. I'd report them, but I wouldn't make it my business to make sure they were prosecuted. That's just me, though.

And yes, someone does need to be an advocate for the child. I think the doctor did that, in this case. And, if nothing else, I'm pretty sure all of Peterson's interactions with his kids will be supervised from now until further notice. That's a good thing.

What irritates me is when people turn their ire on others who have nothing to do with the wrongdoing. People are more concerned with what the NFL and the Vikings do with Adrian Peterson than with what happens with him and his other kids. I haven't seen one person ask about whether he will be allowed to visit with the boy (or his other children), and under what circumstances. It's all about making sure he loses his job, and that does NOTHING to help this situation. People are more vindictive than they are caring about the victim. And that's sad.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair Enough.    Let me just say one last thing ~  If I saw marks like that on one of my grandchildren, and I knew they were put there intentionally by someone trying to make a point,  I would do everything in my Power to see that person prosecuted.

Someone needs to stand up and be an advocate for the Child.    Things aren't always about Football.

years ago I was in a grocery store late at night.  I saw an adult there with a  young child.  It was very late and so highly unusual for a kid that little to be out.

I don't remember what the kid said or did but his parent smacked him so hard he fell to the ground.

And I never said anything.  It haunts me to this day.  Never again

I'm a selfish and self-centered person when it comes to stuff like this, and I don't trust the legal system in general. So my objective would be to make sure my child was safe from the person who did this. I'd report them, but I wouldn't make it my business to make sure they were prosecuted. That's just me, though.

And yes, someone does need to be an advocate for the child. I think the doctor did that, in this case. And, if nothing else, I'm pretty sure all of Peterson's interactions with his kids will be supervised from now until further notice. That's a good thing.

What irritates me is when people turn their ire on others who have nothing to do with the wrongdoing. People are more concerned with what the NFL and the Vikings do with Adrian Peterson than with what happens with him and his other kids. I haven't seen one person ask about whether he will be allowed to visit with the boy (or his other children), and under what circumstances. It's all about making sure he loses his job, and that does NOTHING to help this situation. People are more vindictive than they are caring about the victim. And that's sad.

I tried to make a report once.  I became aware of a child behaving in a sexual way that no child that age would know without some kind of exposure.

I stopped letting my kids play with this kid.

the mom came to my house and demanded to know why so I told her.  She became furious and rather than expressing concern or asking questions......she started to threaten me.........what she would do to me if I ever told anyone.

So, I tried to make a report.  They told me that I could not.......that while what I had seen was very likely indicative that that child had been molested.......child on child abuse is not reportable.

They said this kid would likely be dealt with once an adult and began molesting kids

So that wasn't a good experience

Difference between you and me, I believe he should have his day in court.

That's America, that's how we do it here

I understand your point, but there's a major difference that you're missing.

Due process will determine AP's legal situation.

Private corporations don't have to necessarily wait for due process . Certainly they should some times, but where AP has admitted, the evidence is obvious , etc. The courts are backed up; why wait to make a private corporate decision ?

In many cases, where nothing is clear, I would agree to wait. Not sure about this situation.

I tried to make a report once.  I became aware of a child behaving in a sexual way that no child that age would know without some kind of exposure.

I stopped letting my kids play with this kid.

the mom came to my house and demanded to know why so I told her.  She became furious and rather than expressing concern or asking questions......she started to threaten me.........what she would do to me if I ever told anyone.

So, I tried to make a report.  They told me that I could not.......that while what I had seen was very likely indicative that that child had been molested.......child on child abuse is not reportable.

They said this kid would likely be dealt with once an adult and began molesting kids

So that wasn't a good experience

It gets worse than that. My mom ran a day care for troubled kids for many years, and she is now a foster parent. There are some dark stories that people don't know about and don't want to know about. That's why I was saying, there are varying degrees of child abuse, and Peterson's seems rather tame by comparison. (That doesn't make it right, or less serious.)

Yet, we have all this noise about how the Vikings need to bench/cut Adrian Peterson, as if that is going to fix anything. That's not the problem.

I understand your point, but there's a major difference that you're missing.

Due process will determine AP's legal situation.

Private corporations don't have to necessarily wait for due process . Certainly they should some times, but where AP has admitted, the evidence is obvious , etc. The courts are backed up; why wait to make a private corporate decision ?

In many cases, where nothing is clear, I would agree to wait. Not sure about this situation.

I know

I just don't want to be part of the mob

I think things will resolve themselves appropriately.  And if they don't, then I see a reason for agitation

It gets worse than that. My mom ran a day care for troubled kids for many years, and she is now a foster parent. There are some dark stories that people don't know about and don't want to know about. That's why I was saying, there are varying degrees of child abuse, and Peterson's seems rather tame by comparison. (That doesn't make it right, or less serious.)

Yet, we have all this noise about how the Vikings need to bench/cut Adrian Peterson, as if that is going to fix anything. That's not the problem.

I'm thankful for people like your mom who put themselves on the line personally to care for these children.  I know it is NOT an easy job to care for a child of abuse.

And I know of many far worse cases of abuse and suspect that is making me much more patient with this and much more questioning of the outrage around it.

There's some terrible people out there.....really nightmarish people

Thank you for pointing this out.   Yes  I agree.  At the very least,  supervised visitations should be in order here.

Thank you for pointing this out.   Yes  I agree.  At the very least,  supervised visitations should be in order here.

I agree, I just think calling for punishment from some is premature at this stage though I do think Peterson went a bit overboard with the cuts on his back, arms and legs. I don't necessarily think that makes him a child abuser however, I don't think that was his intent...which seems to be lost here...what was it?, I mean he did it out in the open if I understand right, I think he took it a step to far and should be monitored around kids for the time being but I don't think this is a case of child abuse

Were you outraged when the patriots signed randy moss? The Patriots signed him after he intentionally hit a female police officer with his Lexus. Did you pound your fist in disgust as he was catching tds in 07?

Didn't the Pats sign or trade for Albert Haynesworth also?

The reason I asked is because the Vikings are put in a situation where their response to this situation has to be appropriate. They can decide on a particular course of action, and then in light of more information, realize that their course of action was inadequate. That's evidently what happened with the Ray Rice situation. 

Also, I think it's important to remember that everything that's submitted to a court as "evidence" isn't necessarily legitimate. The purpose of the trial, or however the case is decided upon, is to figure out what means what, what's real, what might be trumped up, etc. I am not defending Peterson; I think it's pretty clear what happened, and I think pretty much everyone agrees that he was dead wrong. But if the Vikings want to wait for more information because they want to get it right, I don't understand why that course of action isn't appropriate. It could be that he winds up released by the Vikings, and suspended indefinitely by the NFL. Does it really matter if that happens now, or in three weeks? To me, it's more important that they get it right, whenever they make their decision. 

Thanks for your reasoned response, by the way. You either have a sound mind, or you're great at faking it. ;)

I'm curious, and that's the only reason I'm asking, as to your take on the evidence that's out now.  The NFL has all this evidence (presumably, but we all know what happened in Rice's scenario), and it can talk to Peterson, interview him, the kid, etc. and get its own insight into the matter.   But it isn't bound by the evidence in trial.  So my question is, what is the harm in suspending him now?  Given that the new policy dictates he get 6 games, give or take depending on the evidence it has on hand, I'm not sure what we are waiting for.  I understand wanting to let the courts play it out, and really, I think that should happen in fairness to the accused and should be the general rule of thumb for the NFL. 

However, the more I think about it, the more I wonder what will change between now and then as it pertains to the Peterson incident.  The evidence seems to me to be enough and hardly in dispute, especially given Peterson's statement admitting what he did, that he's guilty.  To me, it seems the only thing holding up a plea deal is the negotiation aspect of it.  It would be different, say in Ray McDonald's case, where charges haven't been filed or we can't be certain of guilt.  But in cases like Peterson and Hardy, the evidence is in, we know what happened.  Perhaps the NFL wants to interview him and that's cool (I don't know if it's taken place yet), but I don't know why that would really change things especially after the Ray Rice incident.  But given that the NFL isn't bound by any trial court ruling and the evidence that it's based on, why wait when we are fairly certain of what Peterson did? I mean, we could wait to see the aggravating/mitigating factors, and I suppose that would be fair.  But as it pertains to this case, I just do'nt know what else can really come out of this.

You don't seem to be able to connect the dots.

Has it ever occurred to you that before he was arrested and before the authorities knew about what Hernandez was doing that Hernandez mentioned this to his teammates and coaches?  Do you not understand how emails and text messages are used and saved?  The GM of the Atlanta Hawks was fired for making insensitive comments in an email which that email was uncovered.  And yes, there were some reports and rumors that Hernandez and Belichick were talking on the phone and instant messaging each other before he got arrested.

Do you actually believe there's no way in hell for Hernandez to have ever in his entire NFL career mentioned this to his teammates and coaches?   lol  Stay naive.  It's highly possible that Hernandez's teammates on the Pats and some coaches knew about this and aren't talking for many reasons...

1.) They don't want to snitch out a fellow player.

2.) It's an on going legal matter and have been advised not to talk.

3.) For fear of their own lives.  Witnesses have disappeared and found dead after Hernandez was arrested.

Wow dude. 

So you're suggesting that at least a couple of people within the organization were knowingly harboring a multiple murderer? Just so I have this straight?