Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL OK's Peterson to play

Synthetic

Right. But Peterson's is pretty heinous. That has been my point. From the pictures to the testimony of the child, doctors and his belief that what he was doing was an adequate form of discipline. I really don't see the sensationalism in this case at all. The facts alone are heinous and disturbing and enough IMO for the Vikings to sit him and/or release him.

I guess we're talking about a lot of things now. Like I said, Peterson's situation isn't nearly as bad as Hernandez's, and that's the basis for the Vikings treating it different than the Pats did.

The stuff about the varying degrees of child abuse was just part of a more general point I was making.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No they're not.

Physical abuse is physical abuse.  It's hilarious to point out the hypocrisy of people who want to give Peterson the benefit of the doubt and defend him.  They want to cherry pick when to abuse someone when it suits them and their personal lifestyle.

since when do people not get due process in the USA? 

Did AP spank his child with an open hand?

We're talking about what AP did to his 4 year old where he lashed him that lead to open bleeding wounds, beat him till there was black and blue bruises and stuffed his mouth full of leaves so he wouldn't scream.

You are the ones who changed this.  This has nothing to do with spanking or "whooping".  The son wasn't whooped.  He was lashed beaten and tortured.

He stuffed his mouth full of leaves too!?

The opinions on this vary considerably based on what each individual has been subject to and/or de-sensitized to. Heck, I know I was beaten with a belt by my Dad when he was very mad at me as a teenager but then the very next day, my Mom came to me and told me that my Dad felt very bad and distressed that he did that. That was over flunking an exam by the way, I did not know how to react to what my Mom said, I still told her I was mad at him.

However, I have not held it against him to this very day and we still have a good relationship but then, I cannot imagine doing the same to my daughter. But deep down, there is a first instinct in all of us, moulded by past experience, that need to be fought against, that makes it seem passing on punishment that is perceived/understood as old school across generations is OK. My wife and I make a firm commitment to give timeouts and deny my girl things that she holds dearly when she misbehaves over spanking. I am sure we will be tested more as our girl grows from a 6 yr. old but mistakes of the past that I did not agree with my own parents are some things that I have to work really really hard to not repeat as a parent myself.

I call it the hazing mentality. If you have been hazed badly as a freshman in college (I have had some weird more than bad experiences), and if you intend to take it out on the next freshman class, you are just perpetuating things that you despised once. It might feel good at that time for your first instinct but long term, it will not sit well with you i.e. if you have a conscience. But the first instinct has to be fought, if it does not feel right to your mind or conscience.

Well said

It sounds to me as though AP should first have put himself in a room and counted to 100

Sometimes you have to do that when you have kids because they can be so aggravating.

I can't even defend that with a missile defense shield. Wow, just wow.

Yeah, he also threatened to hit him in the face if he talked, but people on here will downplay what AP did by using words like: "whooped" or "spanked with an open hand."  Or they'll bring up their child hood and how they were spanked and turned out to be good kids.  They lost focus on AP's specific actions.

How does a 4 year old testify on the witness stand?  For all we know AP has brainwashed his kid and put so much fear into him tht the kid doesn't want to talk to anyone for fear of getting "punched in the face" as AP threatened to do to him if he talked.

Yeah, he also threatened to hit him in the face if he talked, but people on here will downplay what AP did by using words like: "whooped" or "spanked with an open hand."  Or they'll bring up their child hood and how they were spanked and turned out to be good kids.  They lost focus on AP's specific actions.

How does a 4 year old testify on the witness stand?  For all we know AP has brainwashed his kid and put so much fear into him tht the kid doesn't want to talk to anyone for fear of getting "punched in the face" as AP threatened to do to him if he talked.

why cannot you wait for the facts to be verified and the courts to handle it?

Should all people who abuse their children lose their jobs?  Should they lose all their rights when an accusation like this is made?

You do know that there are people who have been put to death that were innocent right?  We need to get the facts straight and that's why we have due process. 

why cannot you wait for the facts to be verified and the courts to handle it?

Should all people who abuse their children lose their jobs?  Should they lose all their rights when an accusation like this is made?

You do know that there are people who have been put to death that were innocent right?  We need to get the facts straight and that's why we have due process. 

AP already admitted the crime.  It's on record.  It's not a he said/she said scenario.

Millions of people in the U.S.A. have been fired from work or laid off without it having to go to court.  It doesn't need to go to court for the NFL to fire Peterson and for the Vikings to cut him.  People in the NFL have been cut for far less offenses.

And millions have been wronged.  Happened to me once.  Lost my job for no good reason.  I know it happens, doesn't mean it's always right.

Sport Central where are you getting these details?

It's been on the news...

http://nesn.com/2014/09/adrian-peterson-beat-visibly-injured-4-year-old-son-with-tree-branch/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/vikings-rb-adrian-peterson-accused-child-abuse-article-1.1937998

Also, google around, lots of news reports when into detail.

We're talking about what AP did to his 4 year old where he lashed him that lead to open bleeding wounds, beat him till there was black and blue bruises and stuffed his mouth full of leaves so he wouldn't scream.

You are the ones who changed this. This has nothing to do with spanking or "whooping". The son wasn't whooped. He was lashed beaten and tortured.

Well ok, i would think any rational person would say what he is accused of is way over the top for a child of any age. I haven't seen anyone in this thread say differently

Millions of people in the U.S.A. have been fired from work or laid off without it having to go to court. It doesn't need to go to court for the NFL to fire Peterson and for the Vikings to cut him. People in the NFL have been cut for far less offenses.

He isn't going to be permanently removed from the league. What is the difference if he is suspended now or later in the season

Nobody is downplaying what he did. In fact, everyone agrees that it was wrong

What i don't understand is why you don't understand this.

You are the ones who changed this.  This has nothing to do with spanking or "whooping".  The son wasn't whooped.  He was lashed beaten and tortured.

Didn't you argue that inflicting pain as punishment is torture? Are you now backing off of that statement?

[please just say yes]

He isn't going to be permanently removed from the league. What is the difference if he is suspended now or later in the season

You don't know that.

With all the national outrage from women's groups and other groups, all the pressure on Goodell to clean up the league, the NFL I believe will be implementing new rules and punishments soon with a zero tolerance policy.  They could make an example out of Rice, Hardy and Peterson.  I hope they do.

And the NFL is a business.  The ratings are down and the NFL knows this and losing money.  People aren't tuning into the NTL "National Thug League" like they use to.

Women make up around 48% of NFL fans.  And many families with children are boycotting the NFL.

You don't know that.

With all the national outrage from women's groups and other groups, all the pressure on Goodell to clean up the league, the NFL I believe will be implementing new rules and punishments soon with a zero tolerance policy. They could make an example out of Rice, Hardy and Peterson. I hope they do.

They won't. There are guys playing in the league that have killed people. These guys will not be removed permanently

This guy should've left his dominating attitude and personality on the football field. I'm sorry but the details are sick. That's not normal discipline, even for a spanker. I don't see a viable defense to any of this, I don't see my opinion changing come court time.

Sure everyone gets their day in court but that doesn't necessarily happened in the court of public opinion. If we weren't sure he did this, I would wait for his day in court, but his defense is this is how he disciplines his kid. There's zero possibility that I can agree with the severity of the beating or stuffing things in his mouth so he wouldn't cry. Makes me just think Peterson has some deep seeded issues, that he's passing on to his son now.

This guy should've left his dominating attitude and personality on the football field. I'm sorry but the details are sick. That's not normal discipline, even for a spanker. I don't see a viable defense to any of this, I don't see my opinion changing come court time.

If all of the details are indeed true, then i agree with you

You don't know that.

With all the national outrage from women's groups and other groups, all the pressure on Goodell to clean up the league, the NFL I believe will be implementing new rules and punishments soon with a zero tolerance policy. They could make an example out of Rice, Hardy and Peterson. I hope they do.

And the NFL is a business. The ratings are down and the NFL knows this and losing money. People aren't tuning into the NTL "National Thug League" like they use to.

Women make up around 48% of NFL fans. And many families with children are boycotting the NFL.

The ratings are not down, and the league isn't losing money. So just stop

Stupid move by the NFL and Vikings.

"Wait for the legal process." ?  How long will it take?  And what makes you think the judge will rule the right way?

Some can't connect the dots.  The NFL not suspending him now sets a bad precedent to others knowing they can do bad things and still get paid and get to have a great fun time while it's tied up in the courts.

Employers have a right to fire people even if they didn't break the law.  They do it every day in the U.S.

People who support AP in this, their reasoning is: "Well kids misbehave and need to be punished and disciplined."  lol

Well if you want kids to behave then the role models they look up to (athletes) should be held to high standards so kids don't emulate their bad behavior.

lol @ AP disciplining anyone.  What happens when the parent is a bad person trying to discipline a child?

Employers do fire people every day. But not in a union job without it stating in the contract. The rules and regulations are put in writing and both sides have to obey those rules. The Vikings can deactivate him but would still have to pay him till his due process is done. Last time I checked any person has a right to be considered innocent till proved guilty. AP has admitted what he done but till he is convicted it makes no difference. Just because some say he has the right to be  tried does not mean they are supporting him. I am sorry you cant see that. Ray Rice is suing the NFL right now because his case was not handled correctly. Now you want the NFL to go down that road again?

They won't. There are guys playing in the league that have killed people. These guys will not be removed permanently

You don't know that.  You had no idea Ray Rice punched his wife till the video surfaced thank to TMZ.  You had no idea Greg Hardy body slammed his wife on a couch full of guns, till it leaked out.  You had no idea Peterson beat his son till it leaked out.  And all the other creeps in the NFL will soon be exposed.  Many things don't stay secret forever.

You don't know that. You had no idea Ray Rice punched his wife till the video surfaced thank to TMZ. You had no idea Greg Hardy body slammed his wife on a couch full of guns, till it leaked out. You had no idea Peterson beat his son till it leaked out. And all the other creeps in the NFL will soon be exposed. Many things don't stay secret forever.

Josh Brent will soon be back on the field. That's all you need to know

You don't seem to be able to connect the dots.

Has it ever occurred to you that before he was arrested and before the authorities knew about what Hernandez was doing that Hernandez mentioned this to his teammates and coaches?  Do you not understand how emails and text messages are used and saved?  The GM of the Atlanta Hawks was fired for making insensitive comments in an email which that email was uncovered.  And yes, there were some reports and rumors that Hernandez and Belichick were talking on the phone and instant messaging each other before he got arrested.

Do you actually believe there's no way in hell for Hernandez to have ever in his entire NFL career mentioned this to his teammates and coaches?   lol  Stay naive.  It's highly possible that Hernandez's teammates on the Pats and some coaches knew about this and aren't talking for many reasons...

1.) They don't want to snitch out a fellow player.

2.) It's an on going legal matter and have been advised not to talk.

3.) For fear of their own lives.  Witnesses have disappeared and found dead after Hernandez was arrested.

This post is ridiculous, you have zero evidence of any of this insane behavior or hypothetical scenarios that you're listing out. 

You're trying to suggest that the Patriots organization and players would knowingly sweep a MURDER under the rug and its disgusting.

This post is ridiculous, you have zero evidence of any of this insane behavior or hypothetical scenarios that you're listing out. 

You're trying to suggest that the Patriots organization and players would knowingly sweet a MURDER under the rug and its disgusting.

Well according to jvan the NFL has murderers in the league and still playing.

Sure everyone gets their day in court but that doesn't necessarily happened in the court of public opinion. If we weren't sure he did this, I would wait for his day in court, but his defense is this is how he disciplines his kid. There's zero possibility that I can agree with the severity of the beating or stuffing things in his mouth so he wouldn't cry. Makes me just think Peterson has some deep seeded issues, that he's passing on to his son now.

Well according to jvan the NFL has murderers in the league and still playing.

You don't know that.  You had no idea Ray Rice punched his wife till the video surfaced thank to TMZ.  You had no idea Greg Hardy body slammed his wife on a couch full of guns, till it leaked out.  You had no idea Peterson beat his son till it leaked out.  And all the other creeps in the NFL will soon be exposed.  Many things don't stay secret forever.

According to your own logic, you have no idea that nobody in the league has murdered someone. It's pretty easy to make ridiculous claims like that

Accused* murderers is probably a better term to use. Think Ray Lewis.

The colts broncos pulled 17 rating. Game 6 of the World series last year was an 8. They are still the most watched product on tv.

that explains the mayhem here

Not fighting wise but a lot of people creating threads.  An ocean of them starting conversations