Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL OK's Peterson to play

Synthetic

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you outraged when the patriots signed randy moss? The Patriots signed him after he intentionally hit a female police officer with his Lexus. Did you pound your fist in disgust as he was catching tds in 07?

Yes, I was. I did not like Moss on the field or off of it. He was declining in Oakland or so it seemed. The only part that made me happy was the fact that we only had to give a 4th for him. The pats somehow got the best season in history out of him  but it was short lived when he blew his way out of town a few seasons later. As I said to you on the other thread, he had the talent to be the best receiver of all time had he played with Brady or Manning his whole career but he was never disciplined enough.

How is it that you're unable to understand that I think Peterson's actions were wrong? I'm not defending him, in the slightest. I'm saying there are different degrees of "child abuse." Aren't there?

If you're unwilling or unable to acknowledge that, then I don't know what to say. There have been tons of extremely cruel and abusive situations in the media lately involving children, including starvation, extreme neglect, physical abuse, torture, etc. Technically, it's "child abuse." If Peterson had been accused in relation to a situation like that, there would be a different response.

I must have misread this sentence of yours then. "Calling what Peterson did "child abuse" without acknowledging that there's a wide range of things that can be considered "child abuse," yeah, that's sensationalism.

There is nothing sensational about what AP did. It is classic abuse and he is not denying it but believes it was the right right type of discipline even if in hindsight he believes he went overboard. This isn't hard.

Yes, I was. I did not like Moss on the field or off of it. He was declining in Oakland or so it seemed. The only part that made me happy was the fact that we only had to give a 4th for him. The pats somehow got the best season in history out of him  but it was short lived when he blew his way out of town a few seasons later. As I said to you on the other thread, he had the talent to be the best receiver of all time had he played with Brady or Manning his whole career but he was never disciplined enough.

By your reasoning, they should never have traded for him. Violence against women, and the Pats have this "zero tolerance" policy that is lost on the rest of the league... right?

Same thing with Corey Dillon. These two examples illustrate that even the Patriots see a difference between even serious cases of domestic violence and MURDER.

[iverson voice] We talkin' bout murder, yall. [/iverson voice]

Sure. I don't want to tell you how to feel but Peterson's life is one of recklessness. I was not sure if you knew of the other stuff. 

The opinions on this vary considerably based on what each individual has been subject to and/or de-sensitized to. Heck, I know I was beaten with a belt by my Dad when he was very mad at me as a teenager but then the very next day, my Mom came to me and told me that my Dad felt very bad and distressed that he did that. That was over flunking an exam by the way, I did not know how to react to what my Mom said, I still told her I was mad at him.

However, I have not held it against him to this very day and we still have a good relationship but then, I cannot imagine doing the same to my daughter. But deep down, there is a first instinct in all of us, moulded by past experience, that need to be fought against, that makes it seem passing on punishment that is perceived/understood as old school across generations is OK. My wife and I make a firm commitment to give timeouts and deny my girl things that she holds dearly when she misbehaves over spanking. I am sure we will be tested more as our girl grows from a 6 yr. old but mistakes of the past that I did not agree with my own parents are some things that I have to work really really hard to not repeat as a parent myself.

I call it the hazing mentality. If you have been hazed badly as a freshman in college (I have had some weird more than bad experiences), and if you intend to take it out on the next freshman class, you are just perpetuating things that you despised once. It might feel good at that time for your first instinct but long term, it will not sit well with you i.e. if you have a conscience. But the first instinct has to be fought, if it does not feel right to your mind or conscience.

4 year old child. A four year old cannot understand right from wrong. This is torture pure and simple.

Multiple open wounds from lashings that required medical attention.

Child's mouth was stuffed full of leaves so no one could hear him scream.

Child said he fears his father.

Child said the father has a "beating room."

Child said he father has lots of belts.

Child said he'd be punched in the face if told anyone.

In an interview with police, Peterson said he “whooped” his son with a tree branch in May after he pushed another one of his sons off a motorbike video game in Spring, Texas. The beating resulted in multiple cuts and bruises on the boy’s lower body and defensive wounds on the child’s hands.

In a police report, however, Peterson’s son gave more information. The boy told authorities, “Daddy Peterson hit me on my face,” and apparently was worried Peterson would punch him in the face if he reported the incident. The child also said he was hit with a belt and that Peterson put leaves in his mouth during the beating. Peterson confirmed that the child’s pants were down while he beat him. Peterson’s son went to a previously scheduled appointment upon returning to Minnesota with his mother, and a doctor said the injuries were consistent with child abuse. Peterson acknowledged this incident was more severe than other “whoopings” he has delivered to his children, as he didn’t realize the branch was wrapping around the child’s legs and causing further injury. He said he believed he hit the child 10 or 15 times, but he doesn’t “ever count how many pops I give my kids.”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/09/adrian-peterson-beat-visibly-injured-4-year-old-son-with-tree-branch/

“Love” Is Not a Defense for Beating Your Child...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/09/15/adrian_peterson_child_abuse_minnesota_vikings_star_says_he_beats_his_kid.html

Children need their parents to teach them right from wrong, that's one of the most important jobs a patent has.

By your reasoning, they should never have traded for him. Violence against women, and the Pats have this "zero tolerance" policy that is lost on the rest of the league... right?

Same thing with Corey Dillon. These two examples illustrate that even the Patriots see a difference between even serious cases of domestic violence and MURDER.

[iverson voice] We talkin' bout murder, yall. [/iverson voice]

As I said to you before I see a razor's difference between murder and child abuse. If you see this great chasm between the two then that is your opinion.

One. She'll be nine in a month.

Please proceed with this line of questioning. I'm looking forward to it.

Will you beat her till she bleeds and stuff her mouth full of leaves in the "beating room" and threaten to punch her if she tells anyone because you wanted to "discipline" her?  Well that's what AP did and that's what you're defending.

Yes, I was. I did not like Moss on the field or off of it. He was declining in Oakland or so it seemed. The only part that made me happy was the fact that we only had to give a 4th for him. The pats somehow got the best season in history out of him but it was short lived when he blew his way out of town a few seasons later. As I said to you on the other thread, he had the talent to be the best receiver of all time had he played with Brady or Manning his whole career but he was never disciplined enough.

So it appears your "zero tolerance" philosophy isn't reality. The Patriots signed him

I must have misread this sentence of yours then. "Calling what Peterson did "child abuse" without acknowledging that there's a wide range of things that can be considered "child abuse," yeah, that's sensationalism.

There is nothing sensational about what AP did. It is classic abuse and he is not denying it but believes it was the right right type of discipline even if in hindsight he believes he went overboard. This isn't hard.

It's sensational to act like Adrian Peterson is anywhere near the level of offender that Aaron Hernandez (evidently) is.

It's sensational to refuse to acknowledge that there's a difference between switching your four year old, and starving them to death, beating them with your fist, tying them to a bed for days at a time, feeding them dog food, etc. All child abuse, but some forms of child abuse are FAR worse than others. That is not a defense of Peterson. It's an acknowledgment that what he was indicted of is a less serious abuse compared to other things that qualify as "child abuse."

You want to spread this wide tent without variation. "Child abuse is wrong." Yes, it is, but some child abuse deserves a long prison sentence. Other child abuse is less serious.

Children need their parents to teach them right from wrong, that's one of the most important jobs a patent has.

But AP didn't teach his child right or wrong.  He made his son feel pain, emotional and physical pain.  And the child said he's been beaten many times.  So obviously AP's physical abuse isn't working and not making his son change his ways.  Do you blame the son?

So what did the son do to deserve a horrible beating?  What does the son need disciplining from?

The son is the victim.  Not AP.

Maybe the U.S. govt should adopt AP's ways at Guantanamo Bay to perform on terrorists and the cops should do it to people who keep getting pulled over for drunk driving and robbing liquor stores.  They need some "disciplining."

It's sensational to act like Adrian Peterson is anywhere near the level of offender that Aaron Hernandez (evidently) is.

It's sensational to refuse to acknowledge that there's a difference between switching your four year old, and starving them to death, beating them with your fist, tying them to a bed for days at a time, feeding them dog food, etc. All child abuse, but some forms of child abuse are FAR worse than others. That is not a defense of Peterson. It's an acknowledgment that what he was indicted of is a less serious abuse compared to other things that qualify as "child abuse."

You want to spread this wide tent without variation. "Child abuse is wrong." Yes, it is, but some child abuse deserves a long prison sentence. Other child abuse is less serious.

According to some reports I have read, it he is convicted, he is looking at two years in prison.

Pats would have released Rice, Hardy and Peterson in a heartbeat.

lol.  Even I had to laugh at that one.  I'm tempted to accuse you of trolling and then have you suspended indefinitely until pending resolution of your case upon which  point you'll be given a definite suspension and fine, without regard to teh facts of that particular case.

Will you beat her till she bleeds and stuff her mouth full of leaves in the "beating room" and threaten to punch her if she tells anyone because you wanted to "discipline" her? Well that's what AP did and that's what you're defending.

When did I defend his actions? I didn't. Stop it.

And you're just dead wrong about four year olds not knowing the difference between right and wrong.

But AP didn't teach his child right or wrong. He made his son feel pain, emotional and physical pain. And the child said he's been beaten many times. So obviously AP's physical abuse isn't working and not making his son change his ways. Do you blame the son?

So what did the son do to deserve a horrible beating? What does the son need disciplining from?

The son is the victim. Not AP.

Maybe the U.S. govt should adopt AP's ways at Guantanamo Bay to perform on terrorists and the cops should do it to people who keep getting pulled over for drunk driving and robbing liquor stores. They need some "disciplining."

I haven't once defended Peterson. I just said due process should take place before he is punished by the league

lol.  Even I had to laugh at that one.  I'm tempted to accuse you of trolling and then have you suspended indefinitely until pending resolution of your case upon which  point you'll be given a definite suspension and fine, without regard to teh facts of that particular case.

I had to provide some humor to try to lighten things up. ;)

Stupid logic = You're allowed to make a child feel physical and emotional pain but the U.S. govt isn't allowed to make terrorists captured on a battle field to feel emotional and physical pain to gather information to prevent a terrorist attack.

Why can't you leave political discourse out of this?

Posted · Hidden by MTC, September 15, 2014 - quoted hidden post
Hidden by MTC, September 15, 2014 - quoted hidden post

Stupid logic = You're allowed to make a child feel physical and emotional pain but the U.S. govt isn't allowed to make terrorists captured on a battle field to feel emotional and physical pain to gather information to prevent a terrorist attack.

Stahhhp with the politics. Please.

And also, they're two completely different situations.

Stahhhp with the politics. Please.

And also, they're two completely different situations.

No they're not.

Physical abuse is physical abuse.  It's hilarious to point out the hypocrisy of people who want to give Peterson the benefit of the doubt and defend him.  They want to cherry pick when to abuse someone when it suits them and their personal lifestyle.

I had to provide some humor to try to lighten things up. ;)

Well if you wanted to ligthen things up, all you have to do is tell us about hte fortune teller who gave some lady advice to leave her boyfriend because he would be put in jail and that, after giving said advice, the woman left, and some time later, the boyfriend returned and stabbed the fortuneteller, who fortunately survived.  Boyfriend went to jail months later.  Best example of irony in the history of the word irony.

No they're not.

Physical abuse is physical abuse.  It's hilarious to point out the hypocrisy of people who want to give Peterson the benefit of the doubt and defend him.  They want to cherry pick when to abuse someone when it suits them and their personal lifestyle.

Nobody is defending him. lol. the rest is your opinion.

No they're not.

Physical abuse is physical abuse. It's hilarious to point out the hypocrisy of people who want to give Peterson the benefit of the doubt and defend him. They want to cherry pick when to abuse someone when it suits them and their personal lifestyle.

Every instance of inflicting physical pain isn't torture.

The fact that there are varying degrees of child abuse.

Right. But Peterson's is pretty heinous. That has been my point. From the pictures to the testimony of the child, doctors and his belief that what he was doing was an adequate form of discipline. I really don't see the sensationalism in this case at all. The facts alone are heinous and disturbing and enough IMO for the Vikings to sit him and/or release him.

At first I didn't see what the big deal was, because parents have a right to discipline their kids....

Then I saw the pictures and learned the child was 4yrs old! The charge of reckless endangerment to a child seems to be spot on, I believe Peterson was disciplining his kid, it seems obvious he was reckless in doing so. With 7-8 lashes that broke the skin or caused a welt, on a 4yr old, I'd think he disciplined his child in anger too.

To the bolded, yes, in a perfect world. That's just not how things always go, though. Sometimes you say things you don't mean, sometimes you use a harsher tone than you mean to, etc. I'm not excusing it, but it's reality.

well sure

But I never accidentally injured my child like that and certainly not for shoving a child.  

Principal at my daughters middle school shoved a kid up against a locker and broke his shoulder.  He lost his temper and his job.

This is not good for AP but I think the courts deal with it rather than us with what information we have

This is the USA after all

And I know that sometimes people lose their job just because of rumors.....sometimes rumors that are not even close to true.

But it's hard for me to imagine he does not get convicted of something.  I'm just ok to let the courts decide it rather than us angry villagers

spanking a child with an open hand isn't torture. For gods sake, what planet do you live on

Did AP spank his child with an open hand?

We're talking about what AP did to his 4 year old where he lashed him that lead to open bleeding wounds, beat him till there was black and blue bruises and stuffed his mouth full of leaves so he wouldn't scream.

You are the ones who changed this.  This has nothing to do with spanking or "whooping".  The son wasn't whooped.  He was lashed beaten and tortured.