Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL OK's Peterson to play

Synthetic

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The instant AP admitted what he did, and acknowledged that he clearly feels that his actions are spot on, is the moment that the Vikings had the right, and should exercise the right, IMO, to suspend him until due process had been accomplished. Had he denied his actions.....different story. 

When did he say his actions are spot on? Didn't he say that he went overboard and didn't intend to cause harm to the boy?

Maybe to you.

To everyone. The only similarity in the two issues is the word "indicted." 

We can talk about how wrong AP is, and whether he deserves to be suspended, cut, thrown in jail, whatever. But there will never be any comparison to be made between what AP did and what Aaron Hernandez is accused of doing. Sorry. Getting indicted for murder is and always will be worse than getting indicted for child abuse, and pretty much anything else for that matter. 

To everyone. The only similarity in the two issues is the word "indicted." 

We can talk about how wrong AP is, and whether he deserves to be suspended, cut, thrown in jail, whatever. But there will never be any comparison to be made between what AP did and what Aaron Hernandez is accused of doing. Sorry. Getting indicted for murder is and always will be worse than getting indicted for child abuse, and pretty much anything else for that matter. 

Razor difference in my view of the two. Murder of course is criminal act number one but child abuse is not far behind. Vikings dropped the ball literally on this one. I am willing to bet they end up sitting him or releasing him from the backlash they are going to get when he suits up for Sunday.

When did he say his actions are spot on? Didn't he say that he went overboard and didn't intend to cause harm to the boy?

I didn't mean imply I was quoting him.....I meant that he said that was how he was punished, and that is how he disciplines. My bad on my choice of words. The admittance of going a little overboard rings hollow with me when I read that he stuffed his mouth with leaves to keep him silent and that the 4 year old feared being hit in the face if he told. Saying he didn't intend to do harm also rings true. He apparently was speaking of physical harm....which he did do....but the psychological harm from that can be life long. 

Razor difference in my view of the two. Murder of course is criminal act number one but child abuse is not far behind. Vikings dropped the ball literally on this one. I am willing to bet they end up sitting him or releasing him from the backlash they are going to get when he suits up for Sunday.

I don't know about the backlash. We'll just have to see. Suffice it to say that I break from public opinion on a lot of issues, for a lot of reasons. I'm generally not a fan of public outrage, even when I think an individual has done wrong. 

For instance, in this case, the sensational is outweighing the real life of the matter. Your post above is an example. There's simply no comparison between Adrian Peterson and Aaron Hernandez. While AP was wrong (and I say that as someone who was raised in a family where spankings, whoopings, and more, were the norm), his case of "child abuse" is a lot different than the man who batters his children out of rage. If you want to put that guy on a scale in comparison with Hernandez, fine. Going overboard with a switching, while wrong and even criminal, is NOT close. Not the same ballpark, league, or sport.

I don't know about the backlash. We'll just have to see. Suffice it to say that I break from public opinion on a lot of issues, for a lot of reasons. I'm generally not a fan of public outrage, even when I think an individual has done wrong. 

For instance, in this case, the sensational is outweighing the real life of the matter. Your post above is an example. There's simply no comparison between Adrian Peterson and Aaron Hernandez. While AP was wrong (and I say that as someone who was raised in a family where spankings, whoopings, and more, were the norm), his case of "child abuse" is a lot different than the man who batters his children out of rage. If you want to put that guy on a scale in comparison with Hernandez, fine. Going overboard with a switching, while wrong and even criminal, is NOT close. Not the same ballpark, league, or sport.

So is murder the only issue of zero tolerance? That was the jist of my original post. I was never comparing AH directly with AP. My original post was about the Pats being the only team having zero tolerance with the release of AH as soon as he was arrested. I cited the Ravens, Panthers and Vikings as teams that have not followed the same example. I don't get it. I understand wanting to see things play out but he has been indicted for child abuse. That is not sensationalism. That is the legal system. And in my book reason enough for the Vikes to sit him and/or release him.

I didn't mean imply I was quoting him.....I meant that he said that was how he was punished, and that is how he disciplines. My bad on my choice of words. The admittance of going a little overboard rings hollow with me when I read that he stuffed his mouth with leaves to keep him silent and that the 4 year old feared being hit in the face if he told. Saying he didn't intend to do harm also rings true. He apparently was speaking of physical harm....which he did do....but the psychological harm from that can be life long. 

Yes, he was talking about physical harm. Psychological harm is a different and far more nuanced discussion, IMO, and is the reason why corporal punishment is still a debate in general. But I bet, if asked, Peterson would say he didn't intend to bring psychological harm, either.

As for that being how he disciplines, I don't think he was being defiant. I think he was saying that this is what he believes in, despite the fact that he went overboard. My parents believed in this kind of discipline as well, and while I think they went overboard in certain cases, I don't think they were bad parents, they weren't thugs, they weren't violent people... they were good parents who made some bad choices, but who also made a lot of good choices.

I don't mean to defend Peterson. But I do believe that people make mistakes, and only in the court of public opinion is the totality of a person's character judged on the basis of their biggest mistake(s). 

Does not change the fact that as soon as he was charged, he was released. Even if it was possible for him to post bail which his lawyer lobbied hard for, he was already off the team. The Pats did not hesitate.

Dillion was a poor teammate in Cincy, never charged with anything. Not even in the same league as these other guys. And Dillon was a model citizen and teammate in NE.

I read where Dillon too had been accused of domestic violence. But I may be wrong.

Everyone is criticizing Adrian Peterson's actions or defending Peterson's actions or criticizing the NFL.  But no one is taking into account the possible psychological damage this could do to the child in the long run.  Who says or thinks AP's actions on his child were good for the child?  And the people who think what AP did wasn't bad are the ones who will use disingenuous terms like: "whooping" or "spanked."  But the child wasn't whooped or spanked.

Who here was beaten with a whip that had multiple open wound lashings and who's mouth was stuffed with leaves so no one can hear him scream?  If you did your parents aren't good people and NO they didn't raise you right.

If AP felt what he did wasn't that big a deal he wouldn't have stuffed his kid's mouth with leaves to keep it quiet.  He'd be proud that he made his son scream with no fear of the neighbors hearing it.  He wouldn't have tried to cover it up.

Yes, he was talking about physical harm. Psychological harm is a different and far more nuanced discussion, IMO, and is the reason why corporal punishment is still a debate in general. But I bet, if asked, Peterson would say he didn't intend to bring psychological harm, either.

As for that being how he disciplines, I don't think he was being defiant. I think he was saying that this is what he believes in, despite the fact that he went overboard. My parents believed in this kind of discipline as well, and while I think they went overboard in certain cases, I don't think they were bad parents, they weren't thugs, they weren't violent people... they were good parents who made some bad choices, but who also made a lot of good choices.

I don't mean to defend Peterson. But I do believe that people make mistakes, and only in the court of public opinion is the totality of a person's character judged on the basis of their biggest mistake(s). 

yeah that getting carried away thing indicates to me he was acting out of anger.  Not good at all.  You don't even talk to kids out of anger.  You choose what you say, you stay in control of yourself, you think.

But so far to me he sounds like a dad that can and will change.

Just the impression I have.

yeah that getting carried away thing indicates to me he was acting out of anger.  Not good at all.  You don't even talk to kids out of anger.  You choose what you say, you stay in control of yourself, you think.

To the bolded, APs entire life has been reckless. He has kids with multiple women, didn't even know he had a son with another woman who was the child that was killed last year, and now this, unable to control his anger/actions when "disciplining" his son leading to an indictment. I don't believe there is a reason to believe he is respectful human being much less a person interested in changing his behavior.

So is murder the only issue of zero tolerance? That was the jist of my original post. I was never comparing AH directly with AP. My original post was about the Pats being the only team having zero tolerance with the release of AH as soon as he was arrested. I cited the Ravens, Panthers and Vikings as teams that have not followed the same example. I don't get it. I understand wanting to see things play out but he has been indicted for child abuse. That is not sensationalism. That is the legal system. And in my book reason enough for the Vikes to sit him and/or release him.

Calling what Peterson did "child abuse" without acknowledging that there's a wide range of things that can be considered "child abuse," yeah, that's sensationalism. It's even worse when you start acting like what Peterson did is an any way comparable with what Hernandez is accused of.

And back to Hernandez, until another team has a player arrested and indicted for murder, there's no comparing the Pats' "zero tolerance" with anyone else's. Or until the Pats have a player indicted for something on the same level as what these other teams are dealing with. Until then, you're comparing apples and submarines.

I understand your book, and the general public's book. Most people have their minds made up on this, and that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But we have entered a stage where people are promoting ill-will toward these organizations that are not at fault for what these players have done. The Ravens are not at fault for Ray Rice hitting his fiance; the Panthers are not at fault for Greg Hardy; the Vikings are not at fault for Adrian Peterson. People are more upset with the teams and the NFL than they are with the actual offenders. (People want Roger Goodell fired because Ray Rice hit his fiance.) And that lends to unfair criticism and unfair comparisons, like yours. Peterson's offense is nowhere near as bad, nowhere near as criminal, as Hernandez's murder accusation, and because of that, the Vikings shouldn't be held to the same standard the Pats held themselves to.

4 year old child.  A four year old cannot understand right from wrong. This is torture pure and simple.

Multiple open wounds from lashings that required medical attention.

Child's mouth was stuffed full of leaves so no one could hear him scream.

Child said he fears his father.

Child said the father has a "beating room."

Child said he father has lots of belts.

Child said he'd be punched in the face if told anyone.

In an interview with police, Peterson said he “whooped” his son with a tree branch in May after he pushed another one of his sons off a motorbike video game in Spring, Texas. The beating resulted in multiple cuts and bruises on the boy’s lower body and defensive wounds on the child’s hands.

In a police report, however, Peterson’s son gave more information. The boy told authorities, “Daddy Peterson hit me on my face,” and apparently was worried Peterson would punch him in the face if he reported the incident. The child also said he was hit with a belt and that Peterson put leaves in his mouth during the beating. Peterson confirmed that the child’s pants were down while he beat him. Peterson’s son went to a previously scheduled appointment upon returning to Minnesota with his mother, and a doctor said the injuries were consistent with child abuse. Peterson acknowledged this incident was more severe than other “whoopings” he has delivered to his children, as he didn’t realize the branch was wrapping around the child’s legs and causing further injury. He said he believed he hit the child 10 or 15 times, but he doesn’t “ever count how many pops I give my kids.”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/09/adrian-peterson-beat-visibly-injured-4-year-old-son-with-tree-branch/

“Love” Is Not a Defense for Beating Your Child...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/09/15/adrian_peterson_child_abuse_minnesota_vikings_star_says_he_beats_his_kid.html

To the bolded, APs entire life has been reckless. He has kids with multiple women, didn't even know he had a son with another woman who was the child that was killed last year, and now this, unable to control his anger/actions when "disciplining" his son leading to an indictment. I don't believe there is a reason to believe he is respectful human being much less a person interested in changing his behavior.

LOL

Having kids with multiple women has very little to do with how he disciplines his kids. As a matter of fact, it would be more likely that he'd neglect to discipline his kids than that he'd over-discipline them. 

Posted · Hidden by Superman, September 15, 2014 - political
Hidden by Superman, September 15, 2014 - political

Wait until the facts are clear, then decide what punishment, if any, is warranted. Better knowing what you are dealing with before potentially wrecking someone's career.

If he acted as badly as some people say, he will get his just deserts. This is not South Africa......

We shouldn't tolerate americans in the U.S. who conducts themselves like south africans do on their streets.  We're americans, not south africans.

I'm not going to pass judgement on his life, just on hitting a child out of anger.  I mean he did this in response to the little boy pushing another child.  That's decidedly more than overboard.

But we have a court system, and it should work.  I don't feel like I need to have a pre judgement on this.

The NFL judgement doesn't much matter to me.

The only time I really thought it was 100 % called for was for Hernandez

Probably should update the title of the thread since this is a Vikings decision and not the NFL right now.

I do not see how the NFL does not do anything though.  They just indefinitely suspended Rice for hitting his fiance and the legal system has taken no action on him.  Yet, the legal system has at least indicted Peterson.  

This is the problem with the NFL policy.  Sometimes they decide to take action when the legal system has done nothing and in other situations they say lets let it play out.  I would not be surprised if he does not end up with a six game suspension coming down even before the legal system finishes up.

The NFL will probably try and use this situation and turn it into some good publicity saying they do not stand for child abuse or something along those lines given the heat they have taken with the Rice situation.

To the bolded, yes, in a perfect world. That's just not how things always go, though. Sometimes you say things you don't mean, sometimes you use a harsher tone than you mean to, etc. I'm not excusing it, but it's reality.

Calling what Peterson did "child abuse" without acknowledging that there's a wide range of things that can be considered "child abuse," yeah, that's sensationalism. It's even worse when you start acting like what Peterson did is an any way comparable with what Hernandez is accused of.

And back to Hernandez, until another team has a player arrested and indicted for murder, there's no comparing the Pats' "zero tolerance" with anyone else's. Or until the Pats have a player indicted for something on the same level as what these other teams are dealing with. Until then, you're comparing apples and submarines.

I understand your book, and the general public's book. Most people have their minds made up on this, and that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But we have entered a stage where people are promoting ill-will toward these organizations that are not at fault for what these players have done. The Ravens are not at fault for Ray Rice hitting his fiance; the Panthers are not at fault for Greg Hardy; the Vikings are not at fault for Adrian Peterson. People are more upset with the teams and the NFL than they are with the actual offenders. (People want Roger Goodell fired because Ray Rice hit his fiance.) And that lends to unfair criticism and unfair comparisons, like yours. Peterson's offense is nowhere near as bad, nowhere near as criminal, as Hernandez's murder accusation, and because of that, the Vikings shouldn't be held to the same standard the Pats held themselves to.

You know Superman, I respect your opinions and but this entire post saddens me to no end. The pictures indicate abuse, severe abuse, leaves stuffed in the mouth, the child saying he was hit in the face and hit while on the toilet. That fact that AP was indicted. I mean what in the world is abuse to you!?

I'm not going to pass judgement on his life, just on hitting a child out of anger.  I mean he did this in response to the little boy pushing another child.  That's decidedly more than overboard.

But we have a court system, and it should work.  I don't feel like I need to have a pre judgement on this.

The NFL judgement doesn't much matter to me.

The only time I really thought it was 100 % called for was for Hernandez

Sure. I don't want to tell you how to feel but Peterson's life is one of recklessness. I was not sure if you knew of the other stuff. 

Does not change the fact that as soon as he was charged, he was released. Even if it was possible for him to post bail which his lawyer lobbied hard for, he was already off the team. The Pats did not hesitate.

Dillion was a poor teammate in Cincy, never charged with anything. Not even in the same league as these other guys. And Dillon was a model citizen and teammate in NE.

Were you outraged when the patriots signed randy moss? The Patriots signed him after he intentionally hit a female police officer with his Lexus. Did you pound your fist in disgust as he was catching tds in 07?

You know Superman, I respect your opinions and but this entire post saddens me to no end. The pictures indicate abuse, severe abuse, leaves stuffed in the mouth, the child saying he was hit in the face and hit while on the toilet. That fact that AP was indicted. I mean what in the world is abuse to you!?

How is it that you're unable to understand that I think Peterson's actions were wrong? I'm not defending him, in the slightest. I'm saying there are different degrees of "child abuse." Aren't there?

If you're unwilling or unable to acknowledge that, then I don't know what to say. There have been tons of extremely cruel and abusive situations in the media lately involving children, including starvation, extreme neglect, physical abuse, torture, etc. Technically, it's "child abuse." If Peterson had been accused in relation to a situation like that, there would be a different response.