Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's time to take the training wheels off of luck.

trueblueblood

I really feel like pep is holding andrew and this team back. It's almost *ic the way pep calls plays. All you have to do is look at the 2 minute offense and the entire second half to see that luck needs to pass the ball much, much more. He looks masterful in the uptempo style of offense. How long is pep going to get away with his terrible play calling?

I don't know if its a training wheel problem.  The Colts are a flawed team  - OL, RB on the offensive side.  Plus, Luck is still a young QB. His mechanics still fail him occasionally as witnessed by his interceptions.  I thought Pagano/Pep made the right call to go up tempo early.  The 1st drive was going along pretty well before it stalled.  A score early might have relaxed everyone.  Then the 1st interception came a series or two later and the offense never recovered until the drive before the halftime.  

Not sure about that. It was Luck's brilliant idea to do that QB sneak on the goal line, not Pep's. Not to mention that he threw the ball 53 times compared to a meager 14 rushing attempts. If anything they need more balance. They abandoned the run game, which was working effectively, WAY too early last night. Also, Luck looked like he had a lot of week 1 jitters, and the Denver D was flying around and feeding off of it. Any notion that he needs more control over the offense at this point needs to be curbed until he can play a calm, consistent 4 quarter game without getting down by a 3 TD deficit.

I really feel like pep is holding andrew and this team back. It's almost *ic the way pep calls plays. All you have to do is look at the 2 minute offense and the entire second half to see that luck needs to pass the ball much, much more. He looks masterful in the uptempo style of offense. How long is pep going to get away with his terrible play calling?

The Colts had 53 passes to 9 runs.  And you want him to pass the ball more?

Just the opposite, the Colts need to run the ball more.  In the entire game the Colts never ran the ball two plays in a row.

I don't know if its a training wheel problem.  The Colts are a flawed team  - OL, RB on the offensive side.  Plus, Luck is still a young QB. His mechanics still fail him occasionally as witnessed by his interceptions.  I thought Pagano/Pep made the right call to go up tempo early.  The 1st drive was going along pretty well before it stalled.  A score early might have relaxed everyone.  Then the 1st interception came a series or two later and the offense never recovered until the drive before the halftime.  

Umm, again, the offensive line wasn't the problem. Neither were the backs.

This is the game where the focus on the offensive play needs to go to Luck, not redirected at the rest of the team. Luck didn't play well, and it's not anyone else's fault. The backs were fine. Maybe the receivers struggled getting separation, putting some strain on the offensive line and on Luck, but this wasn't an issue of "the Colts are a flawed team." It's an issue of Luck made some mistakes and cost us some points.

Yep, need more balance, although not many teams stick with the run when going 3 scores down. And before you say it, I know we may not have been so far behind if we ran it more. It definitely skewed the figures by the end though.

I'd like to see our 'balance' when we are holding a lead (for more than 05 seconds at the end!).

Umm, again, the offensive line wasn't the problem. Neither were the backs.

This is the game where the focus on the offensive play needs to go to Luck, not redirected at the rest of the team. Luck didn't play well, and it's not anyone else's fault. The backs were fine. Maybe the receivers struggled getting separation, putting some strain on the offensive line and on Luck, but this wasn't an issue of "the Colts are a flawed team." It's an issue of Luck made some mistakes and cost us some points.

He cost us some points, he scored us some points. Sticking this on Luck is ridiculous, and I'm no Luck homer.

It's not just this game, it's been quite a while that pep has been holding this team back. Maybe I should rephrase and say that we need to move to an uptempo/ no huddle style offense because that suits luck's strengths. I don't think anyone can honestly say pep has done a good job since he's been here. I'm just saying... We have the best young qb in the nfl. Stop making vanilla play calls. Use some rollouts, call a designed run every now and then. He's so predictable

He cost us some points, he scored us some points. Sticking this on Luck is ridiculous, and I'm no Luck homer.

Two picks, and he made the rushed sneak decision.

I'm not interested in laying the blame solely at his feet, but I also think it's crazy to blame the offensive line and RBs for how Luck played.

It's not just this game, it's been quite a while that pep has been holding this team back. Maybe I should rephrase and say that we need to move to an uptempo/ no huddle style offense because that suits luck's strengths. I don't think anyone can honestly say pep has done a good job since he's been here. I'm just saying... We have the best young qb in the nfl. Stop making vanilla play calls. Use some rollouts, call a designed run every now and then. He's so predictable

We ran an uptempo, no-huddle offense at the beginning of the game, and virtually throughout. The play calls weren't vanilla.

I'm not sure if you know that I'm not just talking about this game...

We've only played one game this year. And in that game, we did exactly what you say we should have done.

What's the complaint? You want no-huddle, we were in no-huddle. You want Luck to have more control, he had plenty of control last night. You're complaining about Pep's play calling, asking him to do exactly what he did last night.

If Luck had played better, and if we had scored TDs in the red zone, this thread doesn't exist. So I don't know if I buy that you're talking about more than just one game. 

We've only played one game this year. And in that game, we did exactly what you say we should have done.

What's the complaint? You want no-huddle, we were in no-huddle. You want Luck to have more control, he had plenty of control last night. You're complaining about Pep's play calling, asking him to do exactly what he did last night.

If Luck had played better, and if we had scored TDs in the red zone, this thread doesn't exist. So I don't know if I buy that you're talking about more than just one game.

Okay bud, like I said, if you think the tempo and speed of the offense was the same in the first half as it was in the second, then you must have been watching a different game. It wasn't even close

I'm not all that worried about Luck and the O.

I figured it would take the offense awhile to truly gel. So many different pieces who weren't here, or weren't playing last year, was bound to cause some continuity issues. They got tremendously better as the game progressed, and that's an encouraging sign in my book.

Okay bud, like I said, if you think the tempo and speed of the offense was the same in the first half as it was in the second, then you must have been watching a different game. It wasn't even close

When did I say the tempo was the same in the first half? I said they started out no-huddle.

I also said that there was no need to pass the ball more to start the game. I think we passed the ball too much.

I'm not all that worried about Luck and the O.

I figured it would take the offense awhile to truly gel. So many different pieces who weren't here, or weren't playing last year, was bound to cause some continuity issues. They got tremulously better as the game progressed, and that's an encouraging sign in my book.

Neither am I. I made critical comments about Luck, but that doesn't mean I don't think he's awesome. The game would have been an absolute blowout without Luck making the plays he made.

When did I say the tempo was the same in the first half? I said they started out no-huddle.

I also said that there was no need to pass the ball more to start the game. I think we passed the ball too much.

Okay and that's exactly what I'm saying. The whole team was awful in the first half, but great in the second. I guess what I'm trying to say is that pep needs to call a second half game all game from now on, because that worked. I'm not saying he was horrible all game at all. I'm just saying that he needs to call the plays like he did in the second half from now on. But will he? I doubt it

Neither am I. I made critical comments about Luck, but that doesn't mean I don't think he's awesome. The game would have been an absolute blowout without Luck making the plays he made.

Luck was up and down. I definitely think the pressure got to him a bit early. Seemed a little jumpy in the first half, but he settled down. If he plays the rest of the year like the second half I would be more than happy.

He also has the worst luck with tipped balls falling right into defenders. Every time a Luck pass is tipped I feel like you can just pencil in an int. Uncanny.

Okay and that's exactly what I'm saying. The whole team was awful in the first half, but great in the second. I guess what I'm trying to say is that pep needs to call a second half game all game from now on, because that worked. I'm not saying he was horrible all game at all. I'm just saying that he needs to call the plays like he did in the second half from now on. But will he? I doubt it

Different how? He was pass heavy to start the game, by choice. Pass heavy the rest of the way by necessity. 

I guess you're saying you want breakneck, hurry-up tempo all game long. That's one way to go, but I think it's dangerous to give the Broncos more possessions and plays, and dangerous to put more strain on your players in that altitude.

But that's not what your OP said. You said we held Luck back and needed to pass the ball more. I disagree.

Luck was up and down. I definitely think the pressure got to him a bit early. Seemed a little jumpy in the first half, but he settled down. If he plays the rest of the year like the second half I would be more than happy.

He also has the worst luck with tipped balls falling right into defenders. Every time a Luck pass is tipped I feel like you can just pencil in an int. Uncanny.

I wish we had run the ball on 3rd and 1 on the first drive. And then I think we should have been in go-for-it mode on 4th down (I think we should always be in go-for-it mode in that situation, unless the clock is against you and you need three points). The failures on that drive might have made Luck a little jumpy, like you said. Then the pick.

Different how? He was pass heavy to start the game, by choice. Pass heavy the rest of the way by necessity.

I guess you're saying you want breakneck, hurry-up tempo all game long. That's one way to go, but I think it's dangerous to give the Broncos more possessions and plays, and dangerous to put more strain on your players in that altitude.

But that's not what your OP said. You said we held Luck back and needed to pass the ball more. I disagree.

I just want what works, and the 2nd half worked. I'm just tired of seeing this team down 24-0 every game. Not really worried about it anymore now however, we have much worse news.

I wish we had run the ball on 3rd and 1 on the first drive. And then I think we should have been in go-for-it mode on 4th down (I think we should always be in go-for-it mode in that situation, unless the clock is against you and you need three points). The failures on that drive might have made Luck a little jumpy, like you said. Then the pick.

Totally agree with this assessment. The FG call with a short yard to go was terrible, and that's on Pagano.

I think some of the discussion about Pep has more to do with the types of runs and pass plays, not the ratio. Pep seems to struggle sometimes getting into a play calling groove, unlike the top OCs in the league, and I think that is what people see (but they tend to think it is a run/pass ratio thing). 

Luck threw the ball 53 times and the Colts only ran the ball 14 times.

And you want MORE PASSING and LESS RUNNING?!?!?

Dear God......  where does this stuff come from?!?     :facepalm:

Totally agree with this assessment. The FG call with a short yard to go was terrible, and that's on Pagano.

I think some of the discussion about Pep has more to do with the types of runs and pass plays, not the ratio. Pep seems to struggle sometimes getting into a play calling groove, unlike the top OCs in the league, and I think that is what people see (but they tend to think it is a run/pass ratio thing). 

Yeah, that's a much more nuanced conversation, but also more legitimate, if you ask me. I thought Pep started out well, but I hated his 3rd and 1 call. (I also think Luck could have run for the 1 yard.) And then the three and out possessions looked sloppy. Hard to get in a rhythm when you're coming off the field so quickly, but still, some of the play calls were annoying.

I also think it's okay to acknowledge that Pep is only 19 games in as a pro coordinator, and he's probably NOT among the top OCs in the league.

He doesn`t make great decisions and holds onto the ball which causes turnovers. Give him time to fix his problems.

I don't have a problem with the FG call.  Like Tom Landry used to say... the hardest points to get in a game is the first one.  I do, however, have a problem with him then punting after the delay of game.  AV's kick had plenty of leg on it, he could have easily hit it from 60, especially after he got the practice kick.

I don't have a problem with the FG call.  Like Tom Landry used to say... the hardest points to get in a game is the first one.  I do, however, have a problem with him then punting after the delay of game.  AV's kick had plenty of leg on it, he could have easily hit it from 60, especially after he got the practice kick.

I don't know. I think AV had the leg, but he pulled the first one. And if you miss that kick, you give the Broncos the ball, basically at midfield. We actually held them to a FG that next possession. Better field position might change the outcome of that drive. I get the punt. I'd have rather gone for it on 4th and 6 than tried the FG again.

I don't know. I think AV had the leg, but he pulled the first one. And if you miss that kick, you give the Broncos the ball, basically at midfield. We actually held them to a FG that next possession. Better field position might change the outcome of that drive. I get the punt. I'd have rather gone for it on 4th and 6 than tried the FG again.

I understand the reasoning behind it and if it was a kicker other than AV, I'd probably agree 100% but, IMO, you give AV a second chance to hit a FG, he is going to hit the 2nd one.

Yeah, that's a much more nuanced conversation, but also more legitimate, if you ask me. I thought Pep started out well, but I hated his 3rd and 1 call. (I also think Luck could have run for the 1 yard.) And then the three and out possessions looked sloppy. Hard to get in a rhythm when you're coming off the field so quickly, but still, some of the play calls were annoying.

I also think it's okay to acknowledge that Pep is only 19 games in as a pro coordinator, and he's probably NOT among the top OCs in the league.

Right...3rd and 1 call is a perfect example. I also agree that he's only 19 games in. I do think Pep has a lot of potential. It was also the first game of the season after a pretty soft training camp/preseason, so it may take a few games for everyone to get into a groove. I've always felt that this team could be a force by mid-season this year (not necessarily at the start), and a lot of that has to do with Pep's development, as well as D Allen, Reggie, and the OL all meshing/getting into a groove. I know stat-wise Reggie had a solid game but you could tell there was some rust. 

I think there are two philosophies when you are in that zone of the field: aggressive/going for it on 4th and 1 and conservative/kicking the FG/punting. Advanced stats suggest going for it is a better idea, and when coupled with the play in today's NFL, I tend to be the go for it philosophy, especially against PM and when it is a short 1 yard. The ball was sailing last night so AV very well could have it from 60 but I really think we should have gone for it to begin with.

I think there are two philosophies when you are in that zone of the field: aggressive/going for it on 4th and 1 and conservative/kicking the FG/punting. Advanced stats suggest going for it is a better idea, and when coupled with the play in today's NFL, I tend to be the go for it philosophy, especially against PM and when it is a short 1 yard. The ball was sailing last night so AV very well could have it from 60 but I really think we should have gone for it to begin with.

I like your philosophy.

It should not be about putting the ball in Lucks hands or putting the ball in the run games hands, It should be about putting the ball in the right guys hands in the right situations including down and distance, formation, field position, time of game ect and being efficient.....We did not do a good enough job at either last night, The ball was in Lucks hands 53 times...That's not good...That means we are having to play catch up most of the time.

We ran the ball five times in the first four possessions of the game. Including the 3rd and 1 when we should have probably run the ball. Sorry. This wasn't an issue of not putting the ball in Luck's hands. Maybe the opposite, actually.

I think people expect too much from Luck. People need to consider that he's just beginning his third season. He still has some room for development.