Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts stretching routine

Gavin

First and foremost I did not make this thread to turn this into some form of staff bashing thread or anything of that nature or to question anyones work ethic and furthermore I'll say that I was not able to attend Training Camp as many times as I usually have in the past (every day) do to me getting sick but over the course of me going to training camp the few times I went this year and every day that I went last year but 2 I did not notice any form of team stretching or warm ups before the Punting and Kicking unit started off with practice, I did see however players doing some light jogging and a some leg stretching but that appeared to be on there own of there own free will while some others didn't. Im not here saying stretching will miraculously help the team cut down on injuries, Because simply put football has always been and always will be a collision sport so players will get injured but it is known that stretching can loosen a player up and even reduce the risk somewhat...Though of course if a 300+ pounder falls on your leg then there is no amount of stretching that's really going to help with that, I know some teams that have team stretching routines where everyone that is available is expected to participate, Do I miss the team stretching or what? Cause I don't recall it happening. Just my thoughts and questions

matrix.gif

Seriously though, are you asking whether the players stretch before games and practices? I'm sure they stretch, and I bet they stretch like pros. I bet they have stretching regimens designed for them by the trainers, based on their body type, position, injury history, previous day's usage, etc. It's hard to imagine that, in what Ryan Grigson described as an exhaustive search for ways to help reduce the impact of injuries, they didn't come across the importance of stretching before games and practices.

I think maybe they just need to hire an injury prevention team. It teaches them how to deal with injury situations like what to do when you fall, block, and do whatever.. without injuring yourself.

Reggie Bush takes classes over the summer before every season. Havent seen him injured yet.

matrix.gif

Seriously though, are you asking whether the players stretch before games and practices? I'm sure they stretch, and I bet they stretch like pros. I bet they have stretching regimens designed for them by the trainers, based on their body type, position, injury history, previous day's usage, etc. It's hard to imagine that, in what Ryan Grigson described as an exhaustive search for ways to help reduce the impact of injuries, they didn't come across the importance of stretching before games and practices.

No I was thinking that I don't recall anything in the form of organized team stretching like some teams have, Just thought it would help instead of the players policing it themselves, Maybe they have there own routines designated by trainers but Im not so sure, Some players stretch, Not all from what I have seen

I think maybe they just need to hire an injury prevention team. It teaches them how to deal with injury situations like what to do when you fall, block, and do whatever.. without injuring yourself.

Reggie Bush takes classes over the summer before every season. Havent seen him injured yet.

You haven't seen Reggie Bush injured? He missed two games last year, and he nurses injuries every season.

But the idea of taking in more training and information about injury prevention is a good one.

No I was thinking that I don't recall anything in the form of organized team stretching like some teams have, Just thought it would help instead of the players policing it themselves, Maybe they have there own routines designated by trainers but Im not so sure, Some players stretch, Not all from what I have seen

I'm presuming that's the case, but I don't know for sure. I can't go to practices or training camp to observe, and on TV, they never show the pre-game routines. 

I'm no trainer or medical doctor, but I do agree with bap1331, I'm perplexed as to why INDY players seem to be snake bit by injuries a lot. What's Bayone think? He's a Dr. in real life & I just wanna get a handle on why Colts players go down too much to suit me. I won't call it an epidemic, but is it a strength & conditioning issue or freak, overzealous drills during practice? Maybe its a CBA thing with limited contact drills in full pads. I don't know.

I'm not assigning blame among the staff. I just want injuries to decline not grow & proliferate. 

It would be interesting to see INDY Star do an elaborate article on the nature of injuries over the past 5 years. What kind of ailments are we dealing with? Hamstring issues, concussions, knee problems/inflammation issues, shoulder dislocations, hip irritations, plant foot damage, torn rotator cuffs, wrist or hand discomfort, & the protocol for when players return to live contact practices again etc.  

I'm no trainer or medical doctor, but I do agree with bap1331, I'm perplexed as to why INDY players seem to be snake bit by injuries a lot. What's Bayone think? He's a Dr. in real life & I just wanna get a handle on why Colts players go down too much to suit me. I won't call it an epidemic, but is it a strength & conditioning issue or freak, overzealous drills during practice? Maybe its a CBA thing with limited contact drills in full pads. I don't know.

I'm not assigning blame among the staff. I just want injuries to decline not grow & proliferate. 

EXTRA!!  EXTRA!!, READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!

What the Colts need to do is hire this guy and pay him what they paid manning that year he sat on the side lines...

QZQBPEENGQXHSWO.20070613134143.jpgTommy Moffitt Bio

Considered by many in college football to be one of the nation's premier strength and conditioning coaches, Tommy Moffitt enters his 15th season at LSU after coming to the Tiger staff from the University of Miami.

In 14 years with the Tigers from 2000-13, Moffitt helped strength train and condition an LSU football team that won 143 games during that span, easily the best stretch in school history. It was Moffitt's offseason program that helped pave the way to national titles in 2003 and 2007 for the Tigers and LSU's undefeated regular-season in 2011.

Moffitt was named the 2003 College Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year by America Football Monthly. Moffitt has been part of national championship football teams at LSU (twice), Miami and Tennessee.

Moffitt was appointed LSU's Strength and Conditioning Coordinator on Jan. 10, 2000. In February 2000, Moffitt was named the 1999 Collegiate Football Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year by the Professional Football Strength and Conditioning Coaches Society.

In 14 years with the Tigers, Moffitt has developed LSU into one of the most durable teams around by combining a program that focuses on both strength and speed. Moffitt has also incorporated yoga and karate routines in the Tigers' offseason program, which increases the player's flexibility, while forcing the team to stay focused for a lengthy period of time.

Moffitt served as the head strength and conditioning coach at Miami for two years, helping head coach Butch Davis rebuild the Hurricane program. While at Miami, Moffitt was named the 1998 Big East Strength Coach of the Year. Moffitt went to Miami after four seasons, 1994-97, as associate head strength and conditioning coach at Tennessee.

A 1986 graduate of Tennessee Tech, Moffitt started his career as an assistant football coach at John Curtis High School in River Ridge, La., from 1987-94, earning the 1992 National High School Strength Coach of the Year award given by the Professional Football Strength and Conditioning Coaches Society.

Born in Springfield, Tenn., Moffitt is married to the former Jill Beron and they have three children, Clay, Aaron and Brady.

EXTRA!!  EXTRA!!, READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!

What the Colts need to do is hire this guy and pay him what they paid manning that year he sat on the side lines...

QZQBPEENGQXHSWO.20070613134143.jpgTommy Moffitt Bio

Considered by many in college football to be one of the nation's premier strength and conditioning coaches, Tommy Moffitt enters his 15th season at LSU after coming to the Tiger staff from the University of Miami.

In 14 years with the Tigers from 2000-13, Moffitt helped strength train and condition an LSU football team that won 143 games during that span, easily the best stretch in school history. It was Moffitt's offseason program that helped pave the way to national titles in 2003 and 2007 for the Tigers and LSU's undefeated regular-season in 2011.

Moffitt was named the 2003 College Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year by America Football Monthly. Moffitt has been part of national championship football teams at LSU (twice), Miami and Tennessee.

Moffitt was appointed LSU's Strength and Conditioning Coordinator on Jan. 10, 2000. In February 2000, Moffitt was named the 1999 Collegiate Football Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year by the Professional Football Strength and Conditioning Coaches Society.

In 14 years with the Tigers, Moffitt has developed LSU into one of the most durable teams around by combining a program that focuses on both strength and speed. Moffitt has also incorporated yoga and karate routines in the Tigers' offseason program, which increases the player's flexibility, while forcing the team to stay focused for a lengthy period of time.

Moffitt served as the head strength and conditioning coach at Miami for two years, helping head coach Butch Davis rebuild the Hurricane program. While at Miami, Moffitt was named the 1998 Big East Strength Coach of the Year. Moffitt went to Miami after four seasons, 1994-97, as associate head strength and conditioning coach at Tennessee.

A 1986 graduate of Tennessee Tech, Moffitt started his career as an assistant football coach at John Curtis High School in River Ridge, La., from 1987-94, earning the 1992 National High School Strength Coach of the Year award given by the Professional Football Strength and Conditioning Coaches Society.

Born in Springfield, Tenn., Moffitt is married to the former Jill Beron and they have three children, Clay, Aaron and Brady.

At this point, I'm open to almost anything. If Tommy can keep guys available & on the field, go for it. Give him a call Jim or have your daughter do it. 

Seeing how fast the Eagles were last year, Chip Kelly is on to something there with diet & endurance. If INDY wants to make a deep Playoffs run, we need to shake things up.

What did Pat Bowlen do in Denver? Mark  Schlereth raves about him & Mike Shanahan for literally extending his playing career. 

Or better yet hire soon to be HOF TE Tony Gonzalez. He's got his own health business & the dude looks fantastic & he was always playing on Sunday & making plays every week. 

Bring in some consultants with olympic swimmer training too because it drops your body fat, gives you a well tone psyche, & incredible stamina down the stretch as well. 

matrix.gif

Nice Matrix film reference there Superman. But, I wanted to see the woman in the red dress. LOL! Or I will settle for the Lawrence Fishbourne helicopter escape. "Get up  Morpheus." 

MIS_13.101.jpg

Uhhh, not sure what to say here, if you ever go to a game & go to your seats when the gates open you'll notice the players going through a stretching routine together...

When Polian was GM he'd make it a point to go around and shake each players hand during their stretching routine (and I heard he would also personally thank each player for being a colt as he made the rounds, always thought that was a classy move)

But they would do different stretches for at least as long as it took Bill to shake 40 hands...

Have,t been to as many Colts home games under Grigson as I saw under Polian at the Dome, but I am sure they still stretch...