Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts cuts: 53 man roster (Official Thread)

TKnight24

The PUP rules are always blurry to me, but I don't think you can put a player on PUP if he's already been practicing and playing. I believe he has to be on PUP from the start of camp.

You are correct! As far as to my knowledge of the PUP anyway. I do not believe a player can be put on PUP for the regular season if he has practiced in the preseason.

With that said, it might not be a bad idea to IR A.Jax and designate him to return later. He has been hurt a lot and missed a lot of valuable time. 

That said, I am not sure we would get away with placing him on IR for cramps. ;)

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason I went with Hoover is because of his OL ability as well. God forbid we'd ever need to use him

IMO there are better options for the 53 man but he could be put on the PS

I agree with PT...practice Squad for Hoover....depending on what the waiver wire offers.

This allows him to work on both sides of the ball.  He was pretty bad on the OL, but maybe playing both sides WILL help his career.

The PUP rules are always blurry to me, but I don't think you can put a player on PUP if he's already been practicing and playing. I believe he has to be on PUP from the start of camp.

I think he can be put on PUP. HMMM I guess I am wrong...

H had cramps relating to his hamstring injury and missing practice.  I thought PUP was an option...

Purifoy needs to make the team.  He is a solid punt returner, an excellent gunner on special teams, and can play CB and S.  Last night, he had 3 solo tackles and a tackle for loss.  He reads plays very well and is good in run support defense.  He crushed a couple guys last night and flipped a receiver on a short route.  He could be a very good kick returner too if given the chance.  He excelled at that at Florida.  He will never make it to the practice squad....some team would claim him immediately to use at special teams and develop into a NFL starting CB.

You are correct! As far as to my knowledge of the PUP anyway. I do not believe a player can be put on PUP for the regular season if he has practiced in the preseason.

With that said, it might not be a bad idea to IR A.Jax and designate him to return later. He has been hurt a lot and missed a lot of valuable time. 

That said, I am not sure we would get away with placing him on IR for cramps. ;)

Thanks to you and Supe for clarifying.  How many players can you put on IR...designated to return?  I think there is a limit.

Reitz needs that designation.

Purifoy needs to make the team.  He is a solid punt returner, an excellent gunner on special teams, and can play CB and S.  Last night, he had 3 solo tackles and a tackle for loss.  He reads plays very well and is good in run support defense.  He crushed a couple guys last night and flipped a receiver on a short route.  He could be a very good kick returner too if given the chance.  He excelled at that at Florida.  He will never make it to the practice squad....some team would claim him immediately to use at special teams and develop into a NFL starting CB.

IMO Purifoy and Burley made the team last night and Price gets cut.

Purifoy has pizzazz....:)  Welcome to the forum. :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :fb:  :fb:  :fb:  :fb:  :fb: !!!

Thanks to you and Supe for clarifying.  How many players can you put on IR...designated to return?  I think there is a limit.

IR designated to return?  Only 1.  I'm not sure I'd use that for Jackson at this point.  If they're going to put him on IR I'd just put him on IR.  Could have a much more impactful player like Castonzo, Mathis, Luck etc go down and need an 8-10 week recovery time.  I'd much rather have them back. :D 

I like Jackson and think he can be a part of future plans, but for this year he'll likely be buried at the bottom of the depth chart anyway, especially with the limitations he's had in practices and preseason games due to the injury.

lol, fair enough...I'm at work with not much to do so I did a quick search.  If you fancy a long read, here we go:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/18/5914295/nfl-pup-list-rules-injured-reserve-nfi-list-rules-49ers-2014

Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) Rules

First, under the NFL Rules, there are two classifications of Physically Unable to Perform (PUP). There's the Active/PUP and the Reserve/PUP. Both PUP classifications are for football-related injuries.

The Active/PUP (Preseason PUP list) allows players who are unable to start training camp the ability to sit out until the medical staff provides clearance. Once they are medically cleared, they're allowed to practice immediately.

For example, 49ers placed draft picks OLB Aaron Lynch and DL Kaleb Ramsey on the PUP list yesterday. If players begin training camp on the PUP list, which is likely -- once the players receive full clearance from the 49ers medical staff, they are eligible to practice. Lynch suffered a hamstring strain in the offseason workout program, while we are unsure of Ramsey's injury. Since they occurred 49ers football activities, they are "football-related injuries".

Last year, Kyle Williams and Kendall Hunter were placed on Active/PUP while they were wrapping up their rehab from their respective ACL and Achilles injuries. Williams practiced 5-days later and Hunter practiced 20-days later. This classification, as the name implies, is reserved for the pre-season.

Second, there's the Reserve/PUP (regular season PUP list). Any player starting on the Active PUP list (and has not practiced) with the team becomes eligible for the Reserve/PUP at the end of training camp. Once a player practices during training camp, all PUP list options are off the table. This is important to note. Both Lynch and Ramsey could be cleared within a day or two of the start of training camp, but starting them on the PUP list leaves it on the table as an option if there is a setback.

If, during the season, a player sustains injury but practiced at camp, the PUP list is not an option. The team can keep the player on the roster, if they believe he will come back that season. But, the injured player is counted against the 53-man roster.

In the alternative, teams must go straight to the Injured Reserve list or waive the player. So, it means the 49ers are extremely cautious about letting any player practice, no matter how good he looks following an injury. When it comes to classifications, the difference is whether or not a player practices. Allowing a player to practice limits the options of the team. It can tie up roster spots and dollars.

It should be noted, ALL player salaries of a team count in calculating that team's total salary cap during the season. This includes players that are on Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP), and the Practice Squad (PS).

If a player started on the Active/PUP list and isn't medically cleared by the end of the preseason, the 49ers may transfer any Active/PUP player to the Reserve/PUP.

These players are prevented from playing and practicing during the first six weeks of the season. What makes the Reserve PUP advantageous is that any player on the Reserve PUP list does not count against the 53-man roster. If a player isn't activated after the sixth week, the team has a six-week window (day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) to make a decision to: 1.) place the player on injured reserve; 2.) release the player; or 3.) get him back to practice. As soon as the player returns to practice, the team has another three-week window to add the player back to the 53-man roster, or place them on the Injured Reserve list.

For example, NaVorro Bowman is a good candidate to see the Reserve/PUP this year. It buys the team some time to allow the player to resolve their injuries and protects both the players and the team. Bowman could go twelve weeks into the season before he must be practicing again. The team would then have another three weeks (Week 15) to return him to the 53-man roster (according to the new rules). After that point, they can have him as one of the inactive players on game day, but he would still have to be on the 53-man roster. But, the risk is carrying the player for no more than two weeks.

If Bowman is progressing well, the 49ers could activate him as early as week 7 and as late as week 15. Even though Bowman would occupy a spot on the 53-man roster, the 49ers may see this as the best option available. If he is medically able to return for the playoffs, for example, they may be willing to go a man short for a week or two, just to keep that door open.

lol, fair enough...I'm at work with not much to do so I did a quick search.  If you fancy a long read, here we go:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/18/5914295/nfl-pup-list-rules-injured-reserve-nfi-list-rules-49ers-2014

Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) Rules

First, under the NFL Rules, there are two classifications of Physically Unable to Perform (PUP). There's the Active/PUP and the Reserve/PUP. Both PUP classifications are for football-related injuries.

The Active/PUP (Preseason PUP list) allows players who are unable to start training camp the ability to sit out until the medical staff provides clearance. Once they are medically cleared, they're allowed to practice immediately.

For example, 49ers placed draft picks OLB Aaron Lynch and DL Kaleb Ramsey on the PUP list yesterday. If players begin training camp on the PUP list, which is likely -- once the players receive full clearance from the 49ers medical staff, they are eligible to practice. Lynch suffered a hamstring strain in the offseason workout program, while we are unsure of Ramsey's injury. Since they occurred 49ers football activities, they are "football-related injuries".

Last year, Kyle Williams and Kendall Hunter were placed on Active/PUP while they were wrapping up their rehab from their respective ACL and Achilles injuries. Williams practiced 5-days later and Hunter practiced 20-days later. This classification, as the name implies, is reserved for the pre-season.

Second, there's the Reserve/PUP (regular season PUP list). Any player starting on the Active PUP list (and has not practiced) with the team becomes eligible for the Reserve/PUP at the end of training camp. Once a player practices during training camp, all PUP list options are off the table. This is important to note. Both Lynch and Ramsey could be cleared within a day or two of the start of training camp, but starting them on the PUP list leaves it on the table as an option if there is a setback.

If, during the season, a player sustains injury but practiced at camp, the PUP list is not an option. The team can keep the player on the roster, if they believe he will come back that season. But, the injured player is counted against the 53-man roster.

In the alternative, teams must go straight to the Injured Reserve list or waive the player. So, it means the 49ers are extremely cautious about letting any player practice, no matter how good he looks following an injury. When it comes to classifications, the difference is whether or not a player practices. Allowing a player to practice limits the options of the team. It can tie up roster spots and dollars.

It should be noted, ALL player salaries of a team count in calculating that team's total salary cap during the season. This includes players that are on Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP), and the Practice Squad (PS).

If a player started on the Active/PUP list and isn't medically cleared by the end of the preseason, the 49ers may transfer any Active/PUP player to the Reserve/PUP.

These players are prevented from playing and practicing during the first six weeks of the season. What makes the Reserve PUP advantageous is that any player on the Reserve PUP list does not count against the 53-man roster. If a player isn't activated after the sixth week, the team has a six-week window (day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) to make a decision to: 1.) place the player on injured reserve; 2.) release the player; or 3.) get him back to practice. As soon as the player returns to practice, the team has another three-week window to add the player back to the 53-man roster, or place them on the Injured Reserve list.

For example, NaVorro Bowman is a good candidate to see the Reserve/PUP this year. It buys the team some time to allow the player to resolve their injuries and protects both the players and the team. Bowman could go twelve weeks into the season before he must be practicing again. The team would then have another three weeks (Week 15) to return him to the 53-man roster (according to the new rules). After that point, they can have him as one of the inactive players on game day, but he would still have to be on the 53-man roster. But, the risk is carrying the player for no more than two weeks.

If Bowman is progressing well, the 49ers could activate him as early as week 7 and as late as week 15. Even though Bowman would occupy a spot on the 53-man roster, the 49ers may see this as the best option available. If he is medically able to return for the playoffs, for example, they may be willing to go a man short for a week or two, just to keep that door open.

Good find. Long story short, if you don't start camp on PUP, you can't be placed on PUP later. And it's six weeks, not six games.

I believe only 1 player can be designated to return from IR. 

You bring up a good point with Reitz. Tough call, especially if it comes down to needing the roster spot. Might be a tad risky to put A. Jax on the PS. 

IR designated to return?  Only 1.  I'm not sure I'd use that for Jackson at this point.  If they're going to put him on IR I'd just put him on IR.  Could have a much more impactful player like Castonzo, Mathis, Luck etc go down and need an 8-10 week recovery time.  I'd much rather have them back. :D

I like Jackson and think he can be a part of future plans, but for this year he'll likely be buried at the bottom of the depth chart anyway, especially with the limitations he's had in practices and preseason games due to the injury.

I totally agree.  I thought it was just 1 for IR.....so yes for a bigger named player not named Jackson :)

says who?  I wouldn't be surprised if they were all submitted last minute

They may not release the names, but the players start tweeting and word gets out.

The earlier the better for some of the guys that are looking to get picked up by other teams.