Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Orleans @ Indianapolis (8-23-14)

oldunclemark

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts on tonight game....great to see reggie on the field he looked very comfortable that's good.....running game was meh it had a few flashes with trent but other than that not much until herron started playing and the defense was ok until third downs they just couldn't maintain for some reason not much pressure to brees but kerr did his thing when he played I would grade this performance a C- it could've been worse but it could've been much better and that's why there's preseason

I saw some encouraging runs from T Rich tonight. If that dag gone line can get it's act together I think we'll see even more from him.  Of course people are going to point to the 2.8 avg, but I'd throw that number out. Kind of hard to count plays in which the line didn't block worth a darn.  I think he would have raised it with more attempts, but they kept sticking with the passing game to get some pace out of it.  I thought Moncrief had some flashes tonight, and I thought Boom Herron and Tipton did good with their opportunities.  Although I'm high on Herron I also like Tipton a lot.  You will rarely ever see him take a run for a negative gain.  I think he has really good vision and decisiveness on top of the power that he brings.   Darick and Griff were on point as usual.

I thought the tackling on defense was terrible tonight(Dqwell Jackson had some issues), and there was not enough pressure from the 1st team or the 2nd team put on the QB. Greg Toler played pretty good tonight in my opinion, he was in on a number of pass break ups and also had a nice hit he put on somebody as well. And of course I liked everything I saw from Zach Kerr.  We've got to find a way to work him into the rotation when we play Denver.

I saw a number of issues from last nights game. 1st Luck was off and it wasn't due to the oline but I'm sure he'll work that out by the start of the season, 2nd our run blocking just sucks. At times I just feel bad for our backs because its not their fault no one blocks on running plays. I'm not sure there is a back in the NFL that could get good yards behind our oline. 3rd The offense as a whole looked very much like they did last year were it takes an entire half just to get going. 4th when will we see Werners production translate from practice to a game, still waiting on that one and whats the deal with the miss tackles D. Jackson had at least 4 or 5 miss tackles, I was very upset with his play. Is it me or does it seem like Sheppard is always slow getting to the ball carrier. Walden looked the same, only good on running plays. He did have a sack. The dline was blown off the line a few times. I was pleased with our starting DBs but thats the only unit that looked ok last night. I cant imagine how bad the score would have been had Brees played into the 3rd quarter. We have a lot of work to do before the start of the season. I really hope the coaching staff can get these guy going at the start of games cause clearly the saint were ready and hungry at the start of the game.

This may sound weird but I'm so glad this game happened the way it did and I've been hoping it did since I found out we played the Saints. ... we need to see our starters struggle now... Great for them to see a potent offense like that in the 3rd preseason game to get us ready for Peyton

That's exactly right...NOLA does what Denver does...little difference to my eye..

Welp, pretty poor showing last night

- Andrew Luck was off. Missing targets and making bad decisions

- Ty Hilton showed why he's not a #1 WR. Was completely invisible last night :ninja:

- Hakeem Nicks wasn't targeted much as I expected considering how he torched the Giants. Maybe the Saints were double teaming him, not sure

- Entirely too many mental mistakes. First offensive play to Reggie is negated by Hilton being offsides. Don't understand how a WR can line up offsides but too each their own I guess

- Offensive line has improved and will be better with Holmes. Saints are a top defense so the fact that Andrew didn't hit the deck much is a little encouraging

- Trent Richardson looks to have finally gotten it. Very decisive in his cuts and was extremely patient. Was doing well until Mr. Hamilton went back to being predictable. Thus leading Richardson back to his Mr. 2yards per carry

- Defense left a lot to be desired. Loved the swarming to the ball, disappointed with the missed tackles and bad angles. Swarming the ball means nothing if the tackle isn't made.

-Pass Rush was rather seldom, even on the blitz. Hopefully that was just vanilla blitzes.

- Greg Toler shined tonight given all the shots they took towards his way. Guess they didn't wanna throw towards Vontae

- Overall, I'll give the game a C-

:colts:

Oh and P.S.: Kerr is a monster as well as Boom

2.8, 8 of his 17 yards came on one play

He had two back to back solid gains. One for 8 and one for about 5. I seen him pick up about 3-4 on a delay from the shotgun, which I thought was going to be a loss. Then he lost about 3 yards after Pep decided that the delay hand-off worked so well the first time, lets go ahead and do it again the next play.

I don't know. I don't pretend to act like I know everything about football, I just thought Richardson looked pretty good that night.

In 2009, the Colts lost to the Lions in Week 3 of the preseason and only scored seven points in the starter-heavy first half. They went on to start the season 13-0 and went to the Super Bowl. In 2010, the Colts lost to the Packers 59-24 in Week 3 of the preseason but went on to start the season 6-1 before a wave of injuries hit. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2174211-indianapolis-colts-what-weve-learned-through-week-3-of-the-preseason/page/9