Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Season Expectations

jskinnz

I think we are good enough to get to the AFC championship game this year and possibly win. I also think we are talented enough to get a first round bye. A Super Bowl win might be a stretch but I also think that is entirely possible as well.

Given that we were able to, with key personnel gone due to injuries, beat both participants in last season's Super Bowl, I don't see being a participant in this season's Super Bowl to be that unreasonable of an expectation. Especially now that we've made some nice acquisitions and are getting certain key players back from injury. If we can stay relatively healthy, I think we have the roster to do it.

But if I were to dial it back a bit, I would love at least an AFCCG appearance and would still consider that a successful season.

Given that we were able to, with key personnel gone due to injuries, beat both participants in last season's Super Bowl, I don't see being a participant in this season's Super Bowl to be that unreasonable of an expectation. Especially now that we've made some nice acquisitions and are getting certain key players back from injury. If we can stay relatively healthy, I think we have the roster to do it.

But if I were to dial it back a bit, I would love at least an AFCCG appearance and would still consider that a successful season.

This team, at it's best, can beat anyone. I don't think we could beat the Broncos at their best, or the Seahawks at their best, but we took some pretty good shots from both teams and won. At home, of course, but still, we were more physical, we executed better, and won. And then the Niners got rolled at their place; they weren't at their best either, but 27-7 is pretty definitive.

The problem last year is that the Colts weren't consistent from week to week. Too many mistakes, in all phases, against teams that aren't as good as some of the other teams we beat. Errors against the Dolphins, a flat, uninspired performance and poor playcalling against the Chargers, too many defensive mistakes and poor pass blocking against the Rams and Cardinals (and some poor officiating), too slow of a start against the Bengals (and some poor officiating), too many mistakes on offense and too many missed assignments on defense against the Patriots. And that happens to every team, but we have to minimize the lows and maximize the highs in order to really contend.

That's why I don't necessarily expect improvements in the record. But when you look at key stats like third down performance, passing yards/attempt (for and against), TO differential, etc., I think we'll be better overall. And then we can expect more once the games get bigger.

Ok so I didn't want to waste time making another thread on this because its only 1 question on a separate topic...so hear it goes:

I go to watch the Colts Pre season game vs the Jets and it loads just fine and I can watch the game all the way through and all the functions work just fine (I know coaches film is not available for pre season...Why that is I don't know) EXCEPT where it gives you options "Games" "Stats" "Plays"....."Plays" has not came up for me at all for the Colts game so that I can select the plays I want to watch HOWEVER it does for every other game, Can anyone tell me why that is? I have reloaded a few times and still nothing

This is the way I see it. This is the best team that Irsay's  money could buy. If not, then they should have gone crazy when free agency opened up a couple months ago. So stop saying we aren't there yet. We are. Both on Offense and Defense. We have the same amount of good and great players as any other team in the league. Vets and newbies. As far as the injury bug. Yes. Every team in the league is saying the same thing we are saying. The injury bug could make or break your chance in reaching the SB. To me, it's all about how the pieces fit together. I think this offense can be just as great as Denver offense last year. I think our Defense is way better than last years defense. This team is going into it's 3rd year with Pagano. If the players don't believe in the system now, than next year won't be any different. If this team believes they are the best and can work together as one (*Playoffs 2007 Colts, 2013 Seahawks) then they will go all the way. The only ones standing in the way of winning the SB are the Colts themselves. Not the injury bug, not this player or that player we don't have yet. Not, well we aren't there yet, give it another year. It's themselves....Go Colts!!!!! 

From an "on the field" talent point of view, all the pieces are there to win it all. The problem is variability on how the pieces are put together to form the team. I'm more concerned about teamwork woven by the coaching and support staff. This is not to say the coaching and support staff don't have the right stuff - I think they do - it's more, can they bring it all together?

In many ways, this was the problem of the Dungy / Polian era, too. That was a shame for Peyton and the team.

Always Remember: It's not just about the status of our O-Line and our overall injury bug, other so-called "elite" teams are subject to that same injury bug.

That is what makes it so interesting. You never want to play a team that is not at full strength - you want to beat their best shot and their best players - but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

I say go COLTS and if Hughes gets back OK we have as good a shot as anyone to win it all.

After all - look how far we went last year with an incredibly suspect O Line and Andrew getting knocked on his butt more than any quarterback in the league.

ColtsHappy

I think the rest of the South is catching up to the Colts a bit. The Colts still own the division but I don't think they will go 6-0 in the South again this year. If they go 4-2 or 5-1, they come down a notch but still win the South. I think 10-6 looks about right and if they do go 6-0 in the South again, 11-5. I think the Oline is still a mess and defense is still suspect. Therefore I think they will lose in the first round of the playoffs. This is my honest appraisal of the team taking out that I hope they go 13-3 and play in the AFC Championship game. I just don't think they going to do that in reality.

I think the rest of the South is catching up to the Colts a bit. The Colts still own the division but I don't think they will go 6-0 in the South again this year. If they go 4-2 or 5-1, they come down a notch but still win the South. I think 10-6 looks about right and if they do go 6-0 in the South again, 11-5. I think the Oline is still a mess and defense is still suspect. Therefore I think they will lose in the first round of the playoffs. This is my honest appraisal of the team taking out that I hope they go 13-3 and play in the AFC Championship game. I just don't think they going to do that in reality.

What tells you our line looks any worse than last year? Our line looked very good against a very good D-line in New York in the pre-season game when Khaled Holmes was in there. Who has also improved so much that we can't sweep the division? The Jags? if so you put way too much faith in an unproven rookie.  The Texans? What about them tells you we can't sweep them? 

A lot depends on injuries (for every team), but I think we will be the 3rd seed in the AFC and will either make it to AFCCG or to super bowl.  I think the NFC is still a stronger division than the AFC right now, with SEA, SF, NO, and even ARIZ as teams that could put the whooping on Denver or NE. 

Our team is a bit unique in that I think we'd fair better against the NFC powerhouses than Denver or NE would, but we may really struggle to stop the high-flying offense of Denver. Let's hope someone (or a few guys) step up in the first 4 weeks and this D becomes very good when Mathis returns -- the only way we'll be able to beat DEN or NE in the playoffs is if we can consistently hit Manning or Brady without having to run major blitz packages (i.e., our front 3 and 1 or 2 LB's, while keeping 4 or 5 DB's and one or 2 LB's in coverage).

What tells you our line looks any worse than last year? Our line looked very good against a very good D-line in New York in the pre-season game when Khaled Holmes was in there. Who has also improved so much that we can't sweep the division? The Jags? if so you put way too much faith in an unproven rookie.  The Texans? What about them tells you we can't sweep them? 

I never said the oline looks worse than last year. I still think they are a work in progress. I also clearly said that the Colts were the class of the South but that all three of the other teams were closing the gap. I think all three improved. I don't think Houston was as bad as they showed last year but they drafted three new starters and they closed the gap. I think any one of these teams good beat the Colts on a great day. I think the Colts will go 4-2 or 5-1 in the division. I just do not think they sweep it again. There are more positions in football than just the QB as the Colts are learning and the other teams have learned as well. Just having the best QB who is way ahead of everyone else does not mean you will sweep that division again.

The Colts are young on the offensive line, but I think still better than last year. I get the concern there, though.

On defense, however, Grigson has made drastic improvements up front. I'd like another pass rush threat (and maybe between Werner, Newsome and Cam Johnson, we have one), but I really like the front seven. Should be much better than last season. Have to play more disciplined against read-option and scrambling QBs, but I think the team will be strong.

Like I said, they are heading in the right direction. I like the talent on the offensive line, I just wish it was more proven....I'm cautiously optimistic.

Guest nflfan014

Denver Vs Colts AFCCG.

We beat Pats in the divisional round.

If that happened by some chance, who would you be rooting for in the Denver/Colts playoff game?

I'd like to see the Colts continue to improve upon their previous season. I'd like to see them get 2 playoff wins. It's a lofty expectation, but I believe it's possible, especially if Luck continues to improve.