Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saturday A Hall of Famer?

21isSuperman

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8242e4b1/article/hall-call-coming-undertheradar-candidates-for-canton?module=HP11_content_stream

Jeff Saturday, C, Colts

He's an outstanding blocker who makes line adjustments for Peyton Manning, probably one of the toughest jobs you can have in this game. As an undrafted free agent, Saturday was originally signed by the Ravens, but ended up with the Colts after getting cut and hasn't looked back.

Saturday has 182 regular-season starts and has made five Pro Bowls during his 13 seasons. The Colts have piled up wins during that time. Obviously, people will ask, is a center that important to the success of a team? Well, just ask Manning, who has operated primarily out of the shotgun for his entire career, how many bad snaps his center has had. My guess would be not many.

--

Personally, I think Jeff is a HOFer. He is underrated because of Peyton and all Peyton does with his audibles and all that, but he makes a lot of calls at the line just like Peyton does.

They say the best way to see if a guy is a HOFer or not is to ask "If you were to write a book about the history of the NFL from when it started until this very second, would you include this guy?"

I have never heard that but I guess it is pretty telling. Not sure Saturday would be included with that as the standard.

I think so, but he'll get in due to his off the field stuff he's done for the NFL. He's a great on the field player, but it's not enough to take him to Canton. His off the field stuff will be the final push into Canton.

HOF linemen are tough to get in . . . I like Saturday . . .but it is going to be tough for him to get in, there are probably only a half dozen or so centers in the HOF from the post Merger, and you pretty much have to be the undisputed best at the position for your generation, unlike QB where you might get 3-5 QBs who played at the same time . . .

His longevity will help and his wins, his long tenure with Manning might help to . . .

As far as being inducted there is very little chance.

Offensive linemen are hard to get in and centers are the hardest modern era offensive linemen to get in.

There hasn't been a center inducted who retired after 1990 (Matthews played the position but he made his reputation elsewhere)

He does have 4 All-Pro (none of which came from more than one press service in a year and 2 of which were 2nd team) and 5 Pro Bowl selections but those probably would not be enough.

I look for Mangold to be the center inducted from this era. He already has 2 All-Pro and 3 Pro Bowl selections, all of them consensus first team selections, in only 5 years.

Saturday will be in the HOF. What he has done off the field will count towards that. He will also always will be remembered as the guy under center during Manning's career. SB also helps him a lot. He will get in eventually.

His off the field work does not and should not factor in. Take a look at Yehoodi & Blue Horshoe's responses for the correct answer.

His off the field work does not and should not factor in. Take a look at Yehoodi & Blue Horshoe's responses for the correct answer.

I disagree. His off field work was football related, I would agree if it was charity or foundation work, or OJ like, but his NFLPA exp. will effect his canadacy. Ive stated multiple times I feel only 2 colts will be HoF. Peyton and Saturday. He has longevity, he has the ring, he has media support, player support, a good story, and was lock step with possibly the goat at qb. While I agree it is extremely hard for an ol to get recognized, he wont be first ballot, and it won't be till after Peyton, but he will get in.

What off field work are you guys talking about?

Because they aren't going to put him in the hall of fame for hugging Bob Kraft.

No he won't get in for a hug. But when labor is brought up for FO HOF inductions or Krafts, Saturday will surely be mentioned , which will only help his chances.

That's not going to get him into the Hall of Fame in any capacity.

No one thing gets you in. It only helps his chances. When mentioned with other HoF(Kraft) or being thought of during a very important time in nfl history (labor dispute) then your chances are only magnified. Now factor in his story, his ring, with Peyton his whole career, his all pro/pro bowl selections and it's a pretty compelling argument.

No one thing gets you in. It only helps his chances. When mentioned with other HoF(Kraft) or being thought of during a very important time in nfl history (labor dispute) then your chances are only magnified. Now factor in his story, his ring, with Peyton his whole career, his all pro/pro bowl selections and it's a pretty compelling argument.

Before I say this, I want to give a disclaimer that Jeff Saturday has been not only one of my favorite Colts but also favorite football players of all time on any era or any team.

But Jeff Saturday is the longest of long shots to be inducted into the HOF. Outside the fact that it's incredibly difficult for interior offensive linemen (specifically centers) to make it, he has simply not been one of those dominant type of players over the course of his career that gets a person into the Hall.

Colts Hall of Fame/ROH? Most definitely. Pro football HOF? I seriously, seriously doubt it.

But Jeff Saturday is the longest of long shots to be inducted into the HOF. Outside the fact that it's incredibly difficult for interior offensive linemen (specifically centers) to make it, he has simply not been one of those dominant type of players over the course of his career that gets a person into the Hall.

Colts Hall of Fame/ROH? Most definitely. Pro football HOF? I seriously, seriously doubt it.

Dominate? No. But that's not a requirement for OL. It is for other positions. OL are generally not known by name. Saturday is, which puts him ahead of many others. If any OL outside of Hutch make it in from this decade it will be Jeff. I thought Jeff was on the cusp ala Kurt Warner but I feel the recent events put him over the top. First ballot no. Unanimous. No. But he'll make it in.

Different but similar note, I never thought Bettis would get serious consideration based mostly on the dominance factor, but he made the semi final cut on his first ballot which blew me away. ESP since I don't even remotely consider Edge a HOF and his and Bettis career #s are very comparable.

I disagree. His off field work was football related, I would agree if it was charity or foundation work, or OJ like, but his NFLPA exp. will effect his canadacy. Ive stated multiple times I feel only 2 colts will be HoF. Peyton and Saturday. He has longevity, he has the ring, he has media support, player support, a good story, and was lock step with possibly the goat at qb. While I agree it is extremely hard for an ol to get recognized, he wont be first ballot, and it won't be till after Peyton, but he will get in.

I think Saturday will be on the bubble . . . but I think Marvin Harrison has a shot at the HOFer, even tho he was left off the top 100 list thingy . . . so for me the two best bets are PM and Harrison . . . . I think Wayne is will be on the outside looking it, especially if he leaves Indy, and/or if PM retires in the next year or two . . . also Freeney is near the gate but will probably need a few more goods years on his resume . . .

I think Saturday will be on the bubble . . . but I think Marvin Harrison has a shot at the HOFer, even tho he was left off the top 100 list thingy . . . so for me the two best bets are PM and Harrison . . . . I think Wayne is will be on the outside looking it, especially if he leaves Indy, and/or if PM retires in the next year or two . . . also Freeney is near the gate but will probably need a few more goods years on his resume . . .

I don't think Marvin will make it. He will come after Carter, Reed, Brown and Moss. Then factor in TO, Bruce and Holt. If anyone is the long shot, it'd be Marvin. Freeney won't sniff the HoF, same with Reg.

Even accepting his work in the lock out making him more HoF worthy, his on-field contributions just do not measure up. Is Jeff Saturday really one of the all time greats? I think the simple answer is no. He was never the best at his position during the time that he played. O'linemen have trouble getting in period because they have no stats associated with them.

He was never the best at his position during the time that he played. O'linemen have trouble getting in period because they have no stats associated with them.

Which is another reason I think he'll have strong consideration. There are no stats, it's on name. And the name Jeff Saturday resonates with many. Position dominance as it pertains to HoF doesn't include OL. They are a different standard. Qb. Rb. Wr. Dominance. OL is longevity, starts, impact etc.

someone earlier mentioned 'can you mention the nfls history without mentioning said player'. If that's the basis, and I think it's somewhat close, then Jeff is on the cusp. You can't tell the story of Peyton's career, or Polians drafting, without mentioning Jeff, both of whom are HoF locks. Factor in his close proximity and relevance to two other HoF, his 2 all pros, 5 pro bowls, sb ring , and career story, and I think it's pretty close.

I wonder if this awful season will also be a black mark on his HOF resume - just by association. Being on the perennial playoff team that suddenly couldn't win a game without Manning. A corollary to "Manning makes Player X better" is "Without Manning, player X isn't very good". Whether it's true or not, it may be the perception years from now when individuals on this team are discussed.

Absolutely Saturday deserves to be in the HOF. He is probably the most under rated OLman in the game right now. Could you imagine being Mannings center? Keeping all those audibles straight. Running the 2 min offense. He has an incredibly tough job. Plus he is a great blocker. Notice the pressure never comes up the middle because Saturday stops it.

Absolutely Saturday deserves to be in the HOF. He is probably the most under rated OLman in the game right now. Could you imagine being Mannings center? Keeping all those audibles straight. Running the 2 min offense. He has an incredibly tough job. Plus he is a great blocker. Notice the pressure never comes up the middle because Saturday stops it.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but your response here is completely expected. I would have been absolutely shocked had you said that he did not belong in the HoF.

1) There is no way he is the most underated linemen in the league. None. You don't get All Pro votes and be named to the Pro Bowl by being underated.

2) There are other centers (all of them) who have to deal with their QB's audibles.

I like Saturday. But I will shocked if he is gets into Canton.

Different but similar note, I never thought Bettis would get serious consideration based mostly on the dominance factor, but he made the semi final cut on his first ballot which blew me away. ESP since I don't even remotely consider Edge a HOF and his and Bettis career #s are very comparable.

Jeff has a shot but I think it's a long shot.

Marvin Harrison will definitely be voted in at some point.... his stats year in and year out just cannot be ignored. And every CB who had to cover him pretty much hated life that day.

I also think James will eventually be voted in because in addition to his rushing yards and over 15k all purpose yards, Edge was universally acknowledged as the best pass-blocking RB in his era.

The RB position is currently being watered down by the RB by committee approach throughout the NFL, but Edge was a "workhorse" 3-down RB and his production in all phases of RB play was excellent.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but your response here is completely expected. I would have been absolutely shocked had you said that he did not belong in the HoF.

1) There is no way he is the most underated linemen in the league. None. You don't get All Pro votes and be named to the Pro Bowl by being underated.

2) There are other centers (all of them) who have to deal with their QB's audibles.

I like Saturday. But I will shocked if he is gets into Canton.

haha, as was your depressing response.

Very good analysis.

Dungy is also a long shot because he was the first black coach to win a Super Bowl but that is pretty iffy.

Polian is another long shot but contributors only make up about 8% of the Hall of Fame and most of those are commissioners and owners. I don't have time to look it up but I think only two of them are GMs. I know Tex Schramm is one for sure.

I don't think Marvin will make it. He will come after Carter, Reed, Brown and Moss. Then factor in TO, Bruce and Holt. If anyone is the long shot, it'd be Marvin. Freeney won't sniff the HoF, same with Reg.

That is one thing that I will never understand... the Hall of Fame is not kind to WR's. When Cris Carter and Tim Brown retired, they were in the Top 3-4 all time in receptions, yards, rec TD's, all that stuff... what more could they possibly do? Same with Andrew Reed, it's crazy that guys like him aren't in the Hall.

However, out of the group of Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens, Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, Marvin should be 2nd on that list and arguably 1st, although Moss changed the game more than Marv did. However, Marvin has some absolutely amazing accomplishments and has an amazing NFL resume. One of the all-time greats for sure

haha, as was your depressing response.

What is so depressing? The understanding of what is takes to be a Hall of Famer?

Let me look at things your way.

Of course Jeff Saturday is a Hall of Famer. He was never the best at his position during his time which is kind of a prerequisite for o-linemen consideration, but golly gee, he tried real hard. And he played for me my favorite team.

And the Colts should let Peyton Manning play QB until is 70 years old and pay him $25 million a year to do so. No matter that he can't throw the ball out of his own shadow, the things he did for this franchise and this city, he should be able to play as long as he wants.

Wow - hey that works. I do feel better. Now I must go play with some puppies and go shopping for a pet unicorn. Hopefully there will be a rainbow on the way.

Jeff Saturday is a great player, and seems to be a great guy off the field as well. I don't know all there is to know about his accomplishments, but he has consistently performed at a high level over the years, and has played a major role in the success of one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever live, Peyton Manning. I think that Saturday deserves every accolade and/or reward that is bestowed upon him, and would love to see him go into the HOF after his career is over.

WOW. I have pretty strong feelings on this one. Yes. Saturday is a Hall of Famer. I wrote a blog article on this topic. I think it is a slam dunk when you look at his resume. I would love to know what Colts fans think. The site is www.thedailyhattrick.com

Here is a direct quote that, I think, sums it up.

"If Jeff Saturday is not inducted into the Hall of Fame, no center from the 2000s, still playing in the NFL, is getting inducted!"