Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown... letting him go a mistake?

Hoosierdome93

I think they have doubts on Matthews as well and Brown was brought in as an answer to those doubts but the dead cap for cutting Matthews is $3,267,500.00...or thereabouts according to Spotrac/Over The Cap. Im expecting Ronnie Brown (whos 29), Zach Boren, Kerwynn Williams(Who likely would be used purely as a Returner and they already have Eddie Royal who is pretty good there.) , Brandon Oliver to all be shown the door come the end of preseason or before at some point or another before Donald Brown or Matthews

Sorry, I needed to be more clear.

I wasn't thinking of SD cutting Mathews this season.     But rather AFTER this season.

I think he had a decent year last year.   Perhaps not great, but decent.    I'd be interested in seeing how he does this year with Brown pushing him for playing time.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Donald but one running back had to go with Ballard back and us getting Trent last year and it came down to Bradshaw or Donald and I agree with them resigning Bradshaw and letting Donald go even as much as I like him but I think ether way they both are capable of being good running backs

I like Donald he played well honestly the last 2 years his speed will be hard to replace. The Colts honestly #ed him over doing everything in there power to replace him and he still went out an outplayed them all and won the job! Doing it all in a very classy manner even playing ST's an not complaining at all. I like him I wish him well in SD.

I was never that impressed with Donald Brown personally because he always fell down at the 1st sign of contact, he never had lightning fast break away speed, & he was too committed to bouncing outside with the ball unless he was near the endzone. 

I respected his contributions in INDY. He was a perfect model citizen & role model off the field. I wish him well in California. No, read my lips: I am glad Brown is gone & under no circumstances do I want him back & you can quote me on that too. 

• 2 months later...

Third in yards per carry. Say no more.

I did say more, 47th in the league in number of carries, that says a lot more than his YPC numbers. It's not hard to average a high YPC when you're getting the ball in mostly third and long obvious passing situations and trying to catch a team off guard. Try giving him the ball 400 times a season and see where his YPC heads. Besides, if you think being top 5 in 1 single statistical category and being out of the top 32 in all other categories makes for "one of the best seasons for a RB" well... not sure how to even respond to that.

I did say more, 47th in the league in number of carries, that says a lot more than his YPC numbers. It's not hard to average a high YPC when you're getting the ball in mostly third and long obvious passing situations and trying to catch a team off guard. Try giving him the ball 400 times a season and see where his YPC heads. Besides, if you think being top 5 in 1 single statistical category and being out of the top 32 in all other categories makes for "one of the best seasons for a RB" well... not sure how to even respond to that.

Throw in he's never lost a fumble in 5 years, and it is game, set and match.

Dear Lord baby Jesus.  I just saw this topic.  smh, i cant believe we've come to this.

I think we should have kept Donald Brown and the more I think about it. The more I think we will regret letting him go. We drafted him in the 1st and put 5 yrs into him. We let him get away just when he was warming up. I have nothing against who we got, but I think Brown will show us that last year was a sign that he is a starter.. San Diego got a good running back!

Dear Lord baby Jesus.  I just saw this topic.  smh, i cant believe we've come to this.

You & me both Narcosys. I won't slam anybody for liking Donald Brown, but at some point, some fans around INDY need to move on, get over their separation anxiety & literally cut the Colts umbilical cord. He's gone now. 

"Preach my brother! Preach! The voice of insanity & tomfoolery prevails once again. " --Lollygagger 8

Look at the bright side man. You, me, BrentMc11, Jay Kirk, & 100GFB will all end up in nice padded rooms in the same psych ward together playing chess & complaining that Colts management needs to listen to us & do what we say in order to win football games.  haha

Delusional perhaps, but 1 person's insane individual is later called a visionary lightyears ahead of his time. Works for me fellas. Ha! Ha! 

I just don't comprehend this NFL love some INDY fans have with Donald Brown. It just baffles me. True, a lot of stuff in life does go over my head, but not this. Donald was a nice guy, who worked his tail off, but he never dazzled me as a game changing back. JMO.

He may not have fumbled yes, but did he ever carry INDY on his back like say I felt Edgerrin James did? No, absolutely not.  

Brown wasn't, still isn't, and likely won't ever be good.

Even when I watch him in San Diego, their money backs are Woodhead & Matthews not Brown. Donald did nothing earth shattering against Seattle to me on Sunday. 

When Rivers wants to chew up yardage, he goes to Matthews for distance & Woodhead for 3rd down conversions. 

It took him 5 years too show worth, and what ya know he did it when his contract was over. I still think at times we over emphasised how he played this past year but my option. He was reliable and I liked having him around but I think we Will be just as well without him IMO

Baloney!  The guy never got a legit shot at showing what he could do until others went down with injuries....

IMO behind a good line and given 15-20 carries a game he would be close to 100 every game.

He hasn't been utilized fully in San Diego either.  Maybe he practices very poorly and thus isnt earning the game reps?