Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown... letting him go a mistake?

Hoosierdome93

Best seasons of any RB??? He ranked 40th in yards (behind Russell Wilson) 42nd in yards per game, 52nd in first downs, 19th in touchdowns. He did rank 3rd in yards per carry but that's because he only carried the ball 102 times, 47th in the league. He did have his best season as a Colt but of any RB, he isn't even a starter based on rankings.

Third in yards per carry. Say no more.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He ran with reckless abandonment last year he never did that in his pro career why some might say he played better in his contract year . He didn't just learn to run the ball all the sudden it was he was tired of a back up role or running to get paid not worrying about injury .

We didn't have the money.

I publicly campaigned to keep Brown....   but he got $10.5/3 years....    we weren't going to keep him for that kind of money.

Bradshaw should be able to fill the Brown spot...  (but only if he can stay healthy)...

He's a good RB...  a good change of pace back...   But he's not a #1 and, as much as I love him,  he's close to being overpaid to be a #2.

Stuff happens.      You deal with it and move on...

Good luck to Donald in San Diego....

I agree! We weren't going to pay him that money and i'm glad he got paid. He was just clutch for us when we needed him to be. I have no doubt the Colts in good shape. I actually believe we will fighting for a super bowl birth this year. I just hated to see him go.

I agree! We weren't going to pay him that money and i'm glad he got paid. He was just clutch for us when we needed him to be. I have no doubt the Colts in good shape. I actually believe we will fighting for a super bowl birth this year. I just hated to see him go.

I hated seeing Brown go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I hope that letting him go doesn't come back & haunt us but I'm 100% sure it will,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We could of kept him it wouod/been tough but he was tough and good

Everybody relax...  Big deep breathing

With this receiving core, Luck in his 3rd year I think we are going to see enough air on the ball the running game will take a back seat.  I'm good with what we did with DB

I hated seeing Brown go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I hope that letting him go doesn't come back & haunt us but I'm 100% sure it will,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We could of kept him it wouod/been tough but he was tough and good

100% is a lot. I don't see how it will hurt us as we have three perfectly good other guys chomping at the bit to run the football. I am interested to see how Donald Brown will even help San Diego they have Kerwynn Williams who we drafted too, and a possibly healthy Dwright Freeney. Not to mention the dynamic duo of Manti Te'o and his invisible girlfriend.

100% is a lot. I don't see how it will hurt us as we have three perfectly good other guys chomping at the bit to run the football. I am interested to see how Donald Brown will even help San Diego they have Kerwynn Williams who we drafted too, and a possibly healthy Dwright Freeney. Not to mention the dynamic duo of Manti Te'o and his invisible girlfriend.

2 of those running backs are coming off season ending injuries(Bradshaw, Ballard), the 3rd running back(Richardson) of which was irrelevant last year...Though I am hoping for at least relevance this year......Whats Kerwynn Williams done? Im not really sure how Manti Teo fits into the running back equation in San Diego. Brown is very replaceable but there are lots of questions to be answered at running back going into training camp and beyond

2 of those running backs are coming off season ending injuries(Bradshaw, Ballard), the 3rd running back(Richardson) of which was irrelevant last year...Though I am hoping for at least relevance this year......Whats Kerwynn Williams done? Im not really sure how Manti Teo fits into the running back equation in San Diego. Brown is very replaceable but there are lots of questions to be answered at running back going into training camp and beyond

Manti doesn't fit I was just adding a little more meat to the potatoes of the conversation... and only added Williams and Freeney because of them being ex-Colts. Nothing more. Ballard, Bradshaw both being injured last year was a major bummer after both showed flashes of what they could do. I'm hoping that with a full year to read the playbook, a much improved o-line, and health Richardson will be able to have a big year. Not be relegated to another mediocre season.

I also hope Brown has a good year with San Diego. 

I think we should have kept Donald Brown and the more I think about it. The more I think we will regret letting him go. We drafted him in the 1st and put 5 yrs into him. We let him get away just when he was warming up. I have nothing against who we got, but I think Brown will show us that last year was a sign that he is a starter.. San Diego got a good running back!

I thought it was a mistake to let him go Bradshaw and Ballard both coming of serious injuries Richardson has not proved anything. Brown was just starting to hit his stride always thought when Polian was  here he was not used right

we have Luck, we have loaded up the WR and TE positions, we are never going to be a running team, we are built to pass, we were never going to pay a backup, would have been a possible 3rd stringer this year, we could pretty much plug anyone in at the RB position, but the star is our passing game, would be nice to have a great runner, but not needed, we are a heavy pass first team

Addai had maybe 1-2 good years. But in my personal taste, I don't care for his style of running. That bounce, bounce, bounce, then hit the hole stuff. He left a lot to be desired & a lot of yards on the field doing that foolishness

I think you are overlooking what Addais job was. He was a blocking RB. He was one of the best receivers out of the backfield. I guess your memory of the only Indy super bowl is forgotten? He was never signed to be a big yardage runner. He fit exactly what the Colts wanted from a runner. To protect Manning and catch the ball out of the backfield. That is where his worth was seen.

it will not haunt anyone. Brown isn't very good

we have Luck, we have loaded up the WR and TE positions, we are never going to be a running team, we are built to pass, we were never going to pay a backup, would have been a possible 3rd stringer this year, we could pretty much plug anyone in at the RB position, but the star is our passing game, would be nice to have a great runner, but not needed, we are a heavy pass first team

Yes! We are a pass oriented team, but you will always need a good back to keep the D honest.

Yes! We are a pass oriented team, but you will always need a good back to keep the D honest.

we have 3 they are more than capable of doing as much as we need, no use paying prown that mount for being a 3rd stringer

we have 3 they are more than capable of doing as much as we need, no use paying prown that mount for being a 3rd stringer

I agree! we have 3 good backs. Donald Brown deserved to get paid and he did. I wish him the best. I believe he can be a starter. He's not a 3rd stringer

He was the starter for the colts. Then he signed as a free agent with SD Games 13, 14, 15, 16...KC playoff game..NE playoff game. 2013

this year, he wouldnt have started for us, he was the starter last year because of injuries and trents poor play, he was average at best, and it only took him 5 years

this year, he wouldnt have started for us, he was the starter last year because of injuries and trents poor play, he was average at best, and it only took him 5 years

We could argue this all night, but in 2012 under Pagano.The first year he actually started to be used. He played great every time he came in. Look at your game tape. You'll see.  2013 He was really good. Polian never utilized him at all.

I'm a Colt fan to the core so I support any move Grigson makes. I'm just saying he will be missed.

Well Brown really helped us in the clutch last season He is fast tough and good runner and receiver,,,,,,,,,,Freeney will be healthy,,,,,,,,,,I know his mom I talk w/ her a lot,,Freeney grew up 15min from me in CT................K Williams also was a guy who showed promise not sure why we got rid of me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The Chargers scare me always they have our ## number I hope we don't have to play them in the playoffs

Time will tell. Donald got 3.5M per year for 3 years. Is he worth that to the Colts? He is if Bradshaw gets hurt again and Trent plays like the 2013 Trent and Ballard is not ready (he isn't...probably going on PUP).

Everything i have read seems to point to Reggie and Vick being ready for camp

Time will tell. Donald got 3.5M per year for 3 years. Is he worth that to the Colts? He is if Bradshaw gets hurt again and Trent plays like the 2013 Trent and Ballard is not ready (he isn't...probably going on PUP).

not if Brown plays like pre last year Brown regardless of what happens to the other guys. The what if machine cuts both ways.

Personally, I stand by what I said before don't trust players who fail to produce till a contract year.

he knows he is a backup no matter where he goes

Maybe.

But $3.5 Mill for 3 years was the popular figure given out to a lot of RB's this year.

And I'm not convinced that San Diego believes in Mathews all that much.

If Mathews plays well,  then maybe they keep him.....    but if not,  maybe they cut him, or he becomes a FA, whichever, and Brown becomes the #1 guy.

I agree that I think Brown is a much better #2 than he is a #1....   but $10.5 Mill for 3 years is a lot for a back-up.   Tells me that maybe SD sees him as something more........

Just thinking out loud.....

Maybe.

But $3.5 Mill for 3 years was the popular figure given out to a lot of RB's this year.

And I'm not convinced that San Diego believes in Mathews all that much.

If Mathews plays well,  then maybe they keep him.....    but if not,  maybe they cut him, or he becomes a FA, whichever, and Brown becomes the #1 guy.

I agree that I think Brown is a much better #2 than he is a #1....   but $10.5 Mill for 3 years is a lot for a back-up.   Tells me that maybe SD sees him as something more........

Just thinking out loud.....

I think they have doubts on Matthews as well and Brown was brought in as an answer to those doubts but the dead cap for cutting Matthews is $3,267,500.00...or thereabouts according to Spotrac/Over The Cap. Im expecting Ronnie Brown (whos 29), Zach Boren, Kerwynn Williams(Who likely would be used purely as a Returner and they already have Eddie Royal who is pretty good there.) , Brandon Oliver to all be shown the door come the end of preseason or before at some point or another before Donald Brown or Matthews