Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Play Calling Was Brutal

oldunclemark

Brown gains 9 on 1st down and we run him between the tackles 2 more times and punt.

That's what we drafted Carter for..

We run a slick reverse with Garcon that gets a lst down and we NEVER RUN IT AGAIN...

What happened to the bubble screen..?

I think we ran the ball with no fullback and only one tight end on first down 10 times.

Put a head set on Manning and let him call plays...

I just about fell out of my seat when they ran the reverse. I was giddy with anticipation of what else lie in store for us. Sadly, I was duped, as the play calling became more and more ponderous throughout the game. Once Orlovsky came in, they actually made some progress. I really think that had O started, we might have pulled out a win today. You have to be pretty darn bad to only throw for 21 yards in an entire half.

I just about fell out of my seat when they ran the reverse. I was giddy with anticipation of what else lie in store for us. Sadly, I was duped, as the play calling became more and more ponderous throughout the game. Once Orlovsky came in, they actually made some progress. I really think that had O started, we might have pulled out a win today. You have to be pretty darn bad to only throw for 21 yards in an entire half.

Put a head set on a cheerleader and let her call plays,.,,

It almost cant mathematically get worse than this.. :slaphead:

Put a head set on a cheerleader and let her call plays,.,,

It almost cant mathematically get worse than this.. :slaphead:

"Is the yellow line on the field real? Oh, it is! Okay guys... go run for that! Score more than the other guys! Win, Win, Win!"

Atleast it would be entertaining.

With Painter, even my wife could tell if it was going to be a pass or run. He is that predictable. If we are overloaded to the left it is a run, he doesn't throw to the left. At all!! And a bubble screen to Tamme? He can't throw accurately more than 10 yards. If he airs it out, it is overthrown everytime. It is time for the Big O to get a turn. I'm even up to Garcon in the wildcat. What do we have to lose??

Agreed, terrible terrible play calling, I don't understand why we run so much, especially on 2nd down. It made it so obvious and they just stopped us. Need to be more unpredictable.

The reason is because our coaching staff does not trust Curtis Painter's arm. We all saw what happened out there today. The coaching staff saw enough and benched him, even though it was still a one possession game.

For some reason, Painter puts way too much height on all his passes.

Brown gains 9 on 1st down and we run him between the tackles 2 more times and punt.

That's what we drafted Carter for..

We run a slick reverse with Garcon that gets a lst down and we NEVER RUN IT AGAIN...

What happened to the bubble screen..?

I think we ran the ball with no fullback and only one tight end on first down 10 times.

Put a head set on Manning and let him call plays...

We tried the bubble screen a couple of times, teams are expecting it now and blew it up. Teams have figured out what Painter can do and attack it and take it away from us and now that teams are doing that Painter is looking like what we thought he was during the pre-season. I think the first few games with Painter were more a product of teams not having film on him and now that they do he's struggling.

With that said I am sure there is a passing play in the playbook that isn't a screen pass and isn't a bomb down the field. Honestly I watched it we didn't throw something for like 7 yards or mid-range till the 4th quarter and what do you know Austin Collie returned to the offense. What bothers me about the Colts right now is that they don't mix things up, if a run works early in the game and we'll keep running for the next 10 plays even though they are now getting stuffed. If the pass works we stick with it for another 10 or so plays till it's painfully clear it's not working anymore. I understand you stick with something till the other team figures it out but it wouldn't hurt the Colts to mix up the play calling some.

I hate to say this but I think mag't has made the call to go after the number 1 pick. No I don't think they are giving up or "tanking" but they are not going to make any significant changes in how we approach games. I am starting to wonder if they know we may never see Peyton again due to the nerve issue and want to make sure to secure his replacment, because there is just no logical reason for the horrible play calling or the continunal playing of Painter outside of a plan to secure the number 1 pick.

Because he fumbles....
He's fumbled twice the entire season (86 attempts). Before the Atlanta game, he was averaging 4.1 yards/carry and was averaging just under 5.5 in the 4 games leading up to Atlanta. Then he fumbles once and they yank him for the rest of the game and refuse to use him yesterday for the very reason they drafted him.

He's fumbled twice the entire season (86 attempts). Before the Atlanta game, he was averaging 4.1 yards/carry and was averaging just under 5.5 in the 4 games leading up to Atlanta. Then he fumbles once and they yank him for the rest of the game and refuse to use him yesterday for the very reason they drafted him.

Caldwell acts like he's coaching college kids. Sitting him down for the rest of the game, nearly, didn't hurt Carter, it hurt the team....He should see that.

The reason is because our coaching staff does not trust Curtis Painter's arm. We all saw what happened out there today. The coaching staff saw enough and benched him, even though it was still a one possession game.

For some reason, Painter puts way too much height on all his passes.

he has shorty receivers, he needs some 6-3 6-5 guys like other teams have, certainly in the red zone if we ever get that close

If he's not going to use him when he should, he should be inactive. But we know our coaching is tripe, so not sure why we even bother commenting. But we do. You must really think we are coaching to lose now. There can be no other rationale explanation.

Fine distintion here. Caldwell and staff don't know how to coach to win.....ergo....

1. They must be coaching and we just lose

2. They are not coaching and we still lose

Acutally only one person is coaching on the sideline, Metzelarrs. The rest of them are standing around watching the ball game like spectators.

Agreed, terrible terrible play calling, I don't understand why we run so much, especially on 2nd down. It made it so obvious and they just stopped us. Need to be more unpredictable.

If they threw the ball on 2nd down and lost, the next day the board would be full of posters wondering why they did not stick with the run. darned if you and darned if you don't.

he has shorty receivers, he needs some 6-3 6-5 guys like other teams have, certainly in the red zone if we ever get that close

Plenty of Pacers out of work. They have size and can handle the ball, at least the round kind....plus they play defense backing up with their backs to the goal. So we could get them for offense and/or defense. And cheap, prolly.