Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UDFA Namdi Obukwelu. Have You Seen Him?

krunk

Has anyone actually taken a moment to check this guy out?  I saw one of the writers on Stampede Blue speaking about this guy so I thought I'd take a look at a couple of clips.  He's one of the UDFA DE we picked up

I understand he played at Harvard, so I have considered the competition level.  However I have to say that this kid is really disruptive and it stands out.  He has a really good motor for penetration, and it doesn't take you long to see that he dominates when blocked one on one, actually he more than holds his own even when doubled. In my opinion he is impressive. I'm going to keep an eye on him to at least make the practice squad. If not even more.. 

He plays hard good motor really have to consider the competition here in the Ivy League, he might of had a chance if we weren't stacked at DE. Probably show flashes in preseason though but ultimately cut.

I think he'd have no problem making the practice squad.  

He does look nasty, but it is a highlight video. Not too many interior linemen that are cut like he is though.

I know what you're thinking "Highlight videos make everyone look good" ← ← FALSE

That CB from Florida we picked up, his highlight video was trash. He's made that stereotype of all highlight videos make all people look good invalid now

I know what you're thinking "Highlight videos make everyone look good" ← ← FALSE

That CB from Florida we picked up, his highlight video was trash. He's made that stereotype of all highlight videos make all people look good invalid now

I didn't watch his because I didn't like the signing, but I'll take your word for it. If he had a poor highlight video then I feel even more justified in not liking his signing.

You can find better plays he made in the whole games than that one guy put into the highlight video he made of him

Just based on motor alone I like this guy better than Moala. He may be small school but also it's evident he's very strong. Watching him knife through double teams to get to the passer let's me know that.  In the run game the guy holds the line when doubled and doesn't get pushed back much at all.  I do agree with HTown though as far as us having several bodies at DE being an issue.

Just based on motor alone I like this guy better than Moala. He may be small school but also it's evident he's very strong. Watching him knife through double teams to get to the passer let's me know that.  In the run game the guy holds the line when doubled and doesn't get pushed back much at all.  I do agree with HTown though as far as us having several bodies at DE being an issue.

Moala, like Mathews, has been scraping by for years. I REALLY like what I see of Obukwelu. To me, lack of competition is really only prominent/relevant to QB's. Sure, you can put some correlation to it with other the positions, but the QB position is more heavily impacted by it than any other position in my opinion. As Polian always stated, as long as they show clear dominance at that level (Ex. Robert Mathis) then the potential is there. He could definitely open some eyes in camp. Moala needs to be put on notice anyways.

This kid does appear to have a nose for being around the football like bloodhound & he knows how to make his presence known like a thorn in a QB's backside early & often. I'd find a spot for him on the practice squad easy. But, I do love defensive chaos & havoc on my squad & I always will. 

Has anyone actually taken a moment to check this guy out?  I saw one of the writers on Stampede Blue speaking about this guy so I thought I'd take a look at a couple of clips.  He's one of the UDFA DE we picked up

I understand he played at Harvard, so I have considered the competition level.  However I have to say that this kid is really disruptive and it stands out.  He has a really good motor for penetration, and it doesn't take you long to see that he dominates when blocked one on one, actually he more than holds his own even when doubled. In my opinion he is impressive. I'm going to keep an eye on him to at least make the practice squad. If not even more.. 

Caraun Reid got drafted in the 5th, and he played at Princeton. A lesser level of competition doesn't mean you can't play in the pros. 

I haven't checked out Obukwelu because I wanted to wait until after rookie camp. No use watching guys that might get cut in a week. 

The Colts roster shows him at 275. I saw a reference that showed his height at 6'2 1/4"

This video says he is 293, he is quoted as saying he is 303. NO WAY in that video. JMO.

He moves OK at 275ish.  GL kid.

I'd get rid of Moala in a minute to add a guy like this into the mix.

IMO Fili has under achieved pretty much his entire career here. I'm not sure if Obukwelu is an upgrade until we see him play, but an upgrade at any position is always welcome.

As far as the level of competition in college, personally I think that's more important when it comes to DBs, if that makes sense.

I'd get rid of Moala in a minute to add a guy like this into the mix.

NO FAN of Moala as he is certainly a major 2nd Rd BUST, he is plain BAD against the run.

But they did FINALLY find good value using his speed/athleticism as a NT positioned Shadow on 3rd down passing situations.

He can really move and can chase/pressure/harass a QB to the sideline.

Hopefully though we Now have a COUPLE of inside LB`ers that can do that.

Pagano LUVS his Vets so it would take a lot to bump him. Guys like him and Reitz are probably here for their last season.

I dont buy into the whole " small school " talk. I  mean heck Demarcus Ware came from troy, that in no way was a tough conference to play in and half of those teams would prob lose to an ivy league school. and Ware is a pro bowler. TY Hilton and Alfred Morris come from FIU and FAU which are in a conference that would stand no chance in a game against SEC, ACC, B1G, or even Independent conference schools. yet both have proven to be good. and then there is our own Robert Mathis who came from Alabama A&M and he has the colts all time sacks record, led the NFL in sacks last year and pretty much to sum it up is a beast. 

my point is just because the level of competition isn't there for a Harvard kid compared to someone from UF, Bama or any of those other schools does not mean they can't handle the NFL. but i also agree as many DE's we have i would not see him anywhere but on the PS for us. but who knows, maybe he would beat out someone for second string. 

Whoever made this video must not have gone to Harvard. Dark red letters on a black background? Come on!

Anyway, I'm very impressed with his play. Even though it's a lower level of competition he dominated lineman in 1v1, often tossing them to the ground like rag dolls. I'm looking forward to seeing him in TC.

I didn't watch his because I didn't like the signing, but I'll take your word for it. If he had a poor highlight video then I feel even more justified in not liking his signing.

It was a bad one. The first "highlight" of the video was a clear pass interference at the NFL level. He never looked back for the ball & got left by the WR. Better thrown pass by the QB and that's a TD

I don't know if dude who made the video was a rookie at video making or what, but that wasn't a highlight tape